MADHAVEN!!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shadrak
Champion

MADHAVEN!!!

Unread post by shadrak »

Stopped in at origins and completed my collection of Rifts source material, now I have it all!!!!

Including a proof of Madhaven...good job guys!!! Looks really good...

I don't like a couple of the mutants (they seem really gross!!!) But I think that is the point-yucky mutants...and I love the story you have for each mutant race...

The knights are beautiful too!!!!

Can't say enough about it...get yourself a copy of it!!!!!
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

Should we beat him now, or later?

You are so lucky.... I wanted to go very badly (only live an hour away damn it) but I couldn't justify spending $60 so that I could purchase goods from Palladium, pooh.

Instead, I save the money for the July Grab Bag... hopefully there will be enough...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

sooo despite the big blow below the belt paladium took a few months ago they are still putting out rock solid work? good to hear.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

day pass was 30
Reddenedone
Adventurer

I have a husband :) so the price of everything doubles
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

left my wife outside...
It's still open tomorrow!!!!
Reddenedone
Adventurer

hehehe, I can't do that!

The only day we could have gone was Thursday, and believe me, I fought with myself the whole day. But we are going to GenCon (thankfully already paid for) so.... it might make up for it :)
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

soooo the book is awsome right, full of crunchy goodness?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Depends...I loved it, and I liked dinoswamp. If you like a book that gives you NPCs, character classes and material to adventure, you will like it. If you want a bunch of new weapons and vehicles, not so much.

Its really well written.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Glad to hear it shadrak.

Hopefully Aten and White read this thread and your early review.

I can't wait for this sucker to come out.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Sir Ysbadden wrote:Unfortunately i live upstate from mad haven it self so no big cons for me this year. :-( :-(

Yeah, same here.

How come there never seems to be a Palladium attendance at a convention (or a convention itself for that matter) in the Tri-State Area (NY, NJ, CN.)?

Oh well. :)

~ Josh
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

OK - I admit it - I'm jealous.

How much were the proofs? I wonder if Kevin has any more of them for sale at GenCon. I'd pay $200 for one.

Is it as good as it sounds?

Sorry, I'm a bit off and didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm asking what's already been answered.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

The proof was only $15, but the book will be out soon...

No real new vehicles, but the RCC's are awesome!!! And some new monsters...
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

No real stats...monsters vary greatly....it has mutants, and they vary between 1D6x100 MDC and 6D6 MDC...

what I really like was the author tended to use Robotic PS as opposed to SN PS...so it was a lot better.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

any tech or magik doodads? not talking weapons, like a north american ecto sensor?
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I would have to look again, but I don't believe so...let me just say there is a magic potion or 2 (or 3, 4 or 5) that are on parr or better with any other worldbook...plus I think there are some new rules on equipment.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

I looked over Madhaven at Origins as well, and damn that is a good looking book! Pretty fine interior artwork as well. Some of the stuff in there is so deranged!

Since Origins idiotic pricing for 2 days drained my wallet, all I could get at Origins is the Madhaven t-shirt... I guess I'll wait for the print book.

Used to love Origins, but no longer... stupid-a$$ con.

......................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

So...what'd you think of some of the TW gadgets?
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

so in other words, IF you're a properly Equipped MDC party you're gonna be Walking all over mad haven just as you were in Dinoswamp.
... Yet another underwhelming book. I Guess the only thing we're gonna get excited about is to have a setting to use directly with RUE And Chaos Earth.

and CE I don't like at all
And I don't like Dinoswamp.
Gomen_Nagai

Ps Touting a bunch of mutants who don't have Supernatural PS and have the weaker, Robot Ps Just means more and more reasons to not play rifts.

Furthermore I think the Authors Turned Madhaven into A Dawn of the dead setting for Rifts... which basicly means you'll be harassed by a bunch of mindless or semi mindless vermin that a few nukes wouldn't solve but won't get used cause there's little percieved tatical value. No wonder the Horune own Long island.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Ps Touting a bunch of mutants who don't have Supernatural PS and have the weaker, Robot Ps Just means more and more reasons to not play rifts.

:roll:

***** ***** *****, they try to get you some varity and all you do is *****.
Subjugator

rat_bastard wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:Ps Touting a bunch of mutants who don't have Supernatural PS and have the weaker, Robot Ps Just means more and more reasons to not play rifts.

***** ***** *****, they try to get you some varity and all you do is *****.

Pretty much. I *love* Australia, and it's got a TON of SDC stuff in it!

It's the flavor I'm looking for! If you want it to be supernatural PS, then MAKE IT SUPERNATURAL!

*sigh*

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

I prefere it wen not everything is hulk strong, Its better with some things being iron man strong and some things being captain america strong.
Gomen_Nagai

I just wanted a plausible reason as to why someone like archie or the splugorth aren't all over it. ... and they decided mutant Zombies was the way.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:I just wanted a plausible reason as to why someone like archie or the splugorth aren't all over it. ... and they decided mutant Zombies was the way.

1: 'Cause ARCHIE is busy elsewhere, it's a further extension of his permanent forces than he's willing to have happen, especially considering how little human life still exists in that part of the country

2: The Splugorth have been portrayed in the books (for years now) as slowly testing the waters in setting up permanent establishments on North America. They picked other places. It's been that way for a long time. They aren't going to set up 90 million bases at once, that isn't there style. NYC didn't get picked. That is all.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
dark brandon
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:stuff he wrote...

I think you're jokeing. You have to be. No one can complain as much as you have about something they haven't even read yet. You can't be serious. In fact, you're comments are so out there, it's why it's funny to read, which is why I decided you can't be totally serious, which is sad because we can't take your comments seriously and give you serious answers.

what's especially funny (ironic) is that everything you've complained about up until now is addressed in the book.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Gomen_Nagai wrote:I just wanted a plausible reason as to why someone like archie or the splugorth aren't all over it. ... and they decided mutant Zombies was the way.

What would Archie or the Splugorth want with almost uninhabited dilapidated ruins with little (or is it no) ley line activity?

Oh yeah, that's right: nothing.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Furthermore I think the Authors Turned Madhaven into A Dawn of the dead setting for Rifts... which basicly means you'll be harassed by a bunch of mindless or semi mindless vermin that a few nukes wouldn't solve but won't get used cause there's little percieved tatical value. No wonder the Horune own Long island.

What? Huh? Bwaaaah? Wheeee? Who now brown cow?

:-?

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Gomen_Nagai wrote:so in other words, IF you're a properly Equipped MDC party you're gonna be Walking all over mad haven just as you were in Dinoswamp.
... Yet another underwhelming book. I Guess the only thing we're gonna get excited about is to have a setting to use directly with RUE And Chaos Earth.

~ Josh
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:so in other words, IF you're a properly Equipped MDC party you're gonna be Walking all over mad haven just as you were in Dinoswamp.

yeah if you have a person who doesnt know how to gm, then yeah i could run a party all over atlantis then, but as i would about CE about a death star driving thru the CE plot holes, but it still a fun game and as for dinoswamp, that is one of the best books i seen in awhile.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Gomen_Nagai

I liked Chaos earth back when it was just an alternate universe i do not like how it is now . as for dinosaur swamp.. I just don't like the THUNDARR the barbarian Feel of it
Gomen_Nagai

Mech-Viper wrote:

yeah if you have a person who doesnt know how to gm, then yeah i could run a party all over atlantis then, but as i would about CE about a death star driving thru the CE plot holes, but it still a fun game and as for dinoswamp, that is one of the best books i seen in awhile.

and yet, no one has given them a credible reason as to why people take a prime Real estate location into something useful because.. .. of mutant Zombies and ghosts? oooooooooooooooooooooh please.
dark brandon
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:and yet, no one has given them a credible reason as to why people take a prime Real estate location into something useful because.. .. of mutant Zombies and ghosts? oooooooooooooooooooooh please.

Sure they have. It's in the book. Read it.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Huh, he ignored my plausible reasons. Shock and amaze! :-D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Gomen_Nagai

i saw his excuse but it they wiped out NYC for no reason at all other then NE hate.
Marrowlight
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:i saw his excuse but it they wiped out NYC for no reason at all other then NE hate.

So KS hates most of the world, is that it?

Sheesh, talk about seeing shadows in shadows of nothing.

dark brandon
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:i saw his excuse but it they wiped out NYC for no reason at all other then NE hate.

LOL. Oh, your a hoot.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

Madhaven is lower-powered?!?! COOL! Sounds like lots of good ol' fashioned RIFTS adventurin' to be had... just what I'm looking for.

As to why the Spugorth havn't set up shop, weeeellll how about a great GM jumping off point to a new campaign!

Plus, MADHAVEN sounds like a whole lot more then just a "land of the damned thing."

.........................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
dark brandon
Knight

Omote wrote:Madhaven is lower-powered?!?! COOL! Sounds like lots of good ol' fashioned RIFTS adventurin' to be had... just what I'm looking for.

As to why the Spugorth havn't set up shop, weeeellll how about a great GM jumping off point to a new campaign!

Plus, MADHAVEN sounds like a whole lot more then just a "land of the damned thing."

FPQ

To quote Shadrak "Suffice it to say, if you are a godling there is danger and if you are a vagabond, there is danger. It is a bit of Rifts Main Book, a hint of After the Bomb and a whole lot of new flavor."

Mad-haven is not "lowered-powered". It's more "variable powered".

which means a group armed to the teeth with MDC weapon has about as much of a chance as a vegabond with a bar of soap and candy.

But what does that mean? Does that mean it's impossibly hard? No. If a book offeres TOO much of a challenge, or is TOO deadly Kevin won't print it because it would be a worthless book. Why would anyone ever go? If adventerers don't go there, the book won't sell. But it can't be TOO easy because it's MADHAVEN, and it has to be aptly named.
Subjugator

dark brandon wrote:
Omote wrote:Madhaven is lower-powered?!?! COOL! Sounds like lots of good ol' fashioned RIFTS adventurin' to be had... just what I'm looking for.

FPQ

To quote Shadrak "Suffice it to say, if you are a godling there is danger and if you are a vagabond, there is danger. It is a bit of Rifts Main Book, a hint of After the Bomb and a whole lot of new flavor."

Mad-haven is not "lowered-powered". It's more "variable powered".

which means a group armed to the teeth with MDC weapon has about as much of a chance as a vegabond with a bar of soap and candy.

But what does that mean? Does that mean it's impossibly hard? No. If a book offeres TOO much of a challenge, or is TOO deadly Kevin won't print it because it would be a worthless book. Why would anyone ever go? If adventerers don't go there, the book won't sell. But it can't be TOO easy because it's MADHAVEN, and it has to be aptly named.

The reason this grousing bugs me is because people whine nonstop about South America, and now there's whining about Madhaven (because it somehow doesn't meet with expectations before it's even SEEN).

Me - I'm quite anxious - because as a player or GM, I can play something that will be challenged there. Maybe I want to be the vagabond. Maybe I want to be the Glitter Boy. Maybe the adventure doesn't involve killing someone but finding something. Maybe the adventure involves rescuing someone without killing others. Maybe the adventure involves stopping Splynncryth (or better yet - ANOTHER Splugorth) from setting up camp there.

There are zillions of things that can be done with any book. People who are looking for things they don't like will certainly find them. People who are looking for things they do like will also find them.

I like almost ALL of the books (OK - England leaves a bit to be desired)...even South America.

I'm sure I'll LOVE Madhaven.

/Sub

dark brandon
Knight

Subjugator wrote:The reason this grousing bugs me is because people whine nonstop about South America, and now there's whining about Madhaven (because it somehow doesn't meet with expectations before it's even SEEN).

there's only 1 person who's really complaining, and he's doing it more jokingly than being serious.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Look...if you haven't read it...don't talk about how bad it is. I don't want to give away anything for anyone, but Madhaven is an area that is very dangerous to a character...

This is not because of "underpowered" mutants, but because Madhaven itself will DESTROY a character if they don't know what they are doing...even if they are in Phase World Avenger Power Armor. Doesn't matter...the land itself will destroy them.

If you want to know more, you will have to get the book, but Madhaven is not a place for stupid characters.

Here is a clue...the cover is of an adventure party that is recovering the remains of friends that were visiting the city. There is TONS of Pre-Rifts tech that has never been recovered because it is virtually impossible....

There is new source material about the Mystic Knight order of the white rose, as well.

Madhaven is very worth it!!!!
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

shadrak wrote:Look...if you haven't read it...don't talk about how bad it is. I don't want to give away anything for anyone, but Madhaven is an area that is very dangerous to a character...

This is not because of "underpowered" mutants, but because Madhaven itself will DESTROY a character if they don't know what they are doing...even if they are in Phase World Avenger Power Armor. Doesn't matter...the land itself will destroy them.

If you want to know more, you will have to get the book, but Madhaven is not a place for stupid characters.

Here is a clue...the cover is of an adventure party that is recovering the remains of friends that were visiting the city. There is TONS of Pre-Rifts tech that has never been recovered because it is virtually impossible....

There is new source material about the Mystic Knight order of the white rose, as well.

Madhaven is very worth it!!!!

DROOOL!!

all in needs is at least half dozen OCC/RCC's (yes I'm one of THOSE gamers) and sounds like this could be the best rifts bookin a while
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I know I'll get my copy as soon as my FLGS gets them in. Oh well, that 's half the fun waiting for something people are talking about. And then the satsifaction of getting it!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

FPQ

:ok: Ditto

I prefer a "low-Fi" setting - the book sounds even more attractive to me - but i'll wait till i've actually read the book before I pass judgement (though i'm sure B&T have delivered the goods and more :) )
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

just told my FLGS to hold me a copy.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Gomen_Nagai wrote:I liked Chaos earth back when it was just an alternate universe i do not like how it is now . as for dinosaur swamp.. I just don't like the THUNDARR the barbarian Feel of it

What the heck?

Dinosaur Swamp doesn't have a Thundarr the Barbarian feel to it. :?

~ Josh
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Btw, Shadrack - from what you've read so far, how easy would Madhaven slip into a pre-SoT campaign (circa 102 pa) ?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Gomen_Nagai

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:I liked Chaos earth back when it was just an alternate universe i do not like how it is now . as for dinosaur swamp.. I just don't like the THUNDARR the barbarian Feel of it

What the heck?

~ Josh

Sure . Throw out The Civil war ghosts and it's Thundarr.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Gomen_Nagai wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

What the heck?

~ Josh

Sure . Throw out The Civil war ghosts and it's Thundarr.

What? Huh? Bwaaah?

That is a completely false and foolish statement.

If Dinosaur Swamp is Thundarr-esque for you, you made it that way.

~ Josh

Return to “Rifts®”