Rules on Cybernetic / Bionics: what is x% (25%, 5%, etc...)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tiltowait
D-Bee

Rules on Cybernetic / Bionics: what is x% (25%, 5%, etc...)

Unread post by Tiltowait »

There are mentions of various side effects if a certain % of the body is replaced. Where is the listing of how much a given implant or augmentation actually amounts to in terms of a %?

For example, a person who is 1/4 bionic cannot be turned into a vampire. What is 1/4 or 25%? One arm or any limb? A hand plus says eyes and ears?

Thanks!
Necromance if you want to.
We can bring your friends to life.
But your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead.
Well, they're no friends of mine.
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Rules on Cybernetic / Bionics: what is x% (25%, 5%, etc.

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Tiltowait wrote:There are mentions of various side effects if a certain % of the body is replaced. Where is the listing of how much a given implant or augmentation actually amounts to in terms of a %?

For example, a person who is 1/4 bionic cannot be turned into a vampire. What is 1/4 or 25%? One arm or any limb? A hand plus says eyes and ears?

Thanks!

I would say the thresholds would be the percentage of the total body, so any limb by itself doesn't quite make it.

I would actually say that the guideline I would put it at is:
head 10%
each arm 15%
each leg 20%
torso ~20-30%

now if the arm included the shoulder say shoulder blade, and Collar bone as "frame reinforcement" that might get it up to 20%
if you replace the leg and pelvis that might get it up to ~25%.

note these are off hand guestimations and not a medical diagnosis.

edit if you go with the original Robocop (from 1987 ) murphy was ~80 to 90% replacement parts.

If I remember right he had most of the brain and some of the spine as original parts, the doctors did manage to save 1 arm, until the exec. told them to loose the arm, his eyes and a lot of his face was "mostly flesh" his heart was replaced his lungs were at least partially organic (original) and some of his throat, stomach and a little of his intestines.

granted its been a while but that's the gist of what I remember.
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Prysus and guardian are on the on right track.

However here is this link whihttps://www.etoolsage.com/Calculator ... lsort=1500

It should be a useful visual guide for "guestimations"
Last edited by Hawk258 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Tiltowait wrote:There are mentions of various side effects if a certain % of the body is replaced. Where is the listing of how much a given implant or augmentation actually amounts to in terms of a %?

Thanks!

Greetings and Salutations. I don't believe this is ever stated clearly in any of the books (I might be wrong), but I can think of a few references in RUE that might help point us in the correct direction. Keep in mind, this is based on extrapolated data, and a few guesses will need to be made along the way.

Partial "Borgs are discussed under the Headhunter O.C.C. (starting on page 74). On page 75 we have the following quotes ...
The only thing separating a partial cyborg Headhunter from a full conversion 'Borg is they value their humanity enough to keep their own face and refrain from becoming more machine than human. Thus, a typical partial 'Borg sees only 40-55% of his body replaced by synthetic parts, the rest remains human.
The nature of mercenary business being what it is, roughly 60% of all Headhunters get both legs replaced, one or both arms, both eyes, and 12-24 implants.

If we take the Headhunter to represent the typical partial 'Borg, then we can draw some data from this line.

Both legs, both eyes, 1-2 arms, and 12-24 implants. If we take the % as hard numbers, and the typical Headhunter making up that %, then 2 legs, 2 eyes, 1 arm, and 12 implants equal roughly 40%. 1 arm and 12 implants equal roughly 15%.

The Combat Cyborg O.C.C. on page 45 discusses the Full Bionic Conversion. There, we have the following quotes ...

Full bionic conversion means that the character is over 80% machine and often more than 90%.
Only the brain, the face, and a few other original human components (rebuilt upper torso/chest area, the tongue, throat, and head) are all that remains of the original flesh and blood body.

These remaining components would need to equal less than 20%. That includes head, throat, and part of an upper torso (not sure how much, since it's "rebuilt" I'd wager even the upper torso isn't completely human).

From there, I can try and make some numbers, but that's just guess work. However, I'd say something like ...

0.5% per implant (not much, but it can add up, and I figure some parts would actually be lower and others higher, and 0.5 is just an average)
9% per arm (18% for both)
11.5% per leg (23% for both)
1% per eye (2% for both)

This will add up to the numbers provided by the Partial 'Borg. 23% for both legs, 2% for both eyes, 9% for one arm, and 6% for 12 implants. This equals 40% (the low end). 9% for one arm, and 6% for 12 implants equals 15%, and all added together is 55% (the high end). However, those are just guesses based on what information we have. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

P.S. For the record, one of the first lines in the Headhunter O.C.C. states: "A partial cyborg is someone who had one or more of his limbs and/or organs replaced with bionic or cybernetic ones." That would mean a single bionic limb or a single cybernetic organ would turn someone into a partial cyborg. Whether or not this is intentional, or if "partial cyborg" is a general term while "partial 'Borg" is a separate one can be debated to some degree.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

guardiandashi wrote:I would actually say that the guideline I would put it at is:
head 10%
each arm 15%
each leg 20%
torso ~20-30%

This works for me, but I wouldn't feel the need for a collection of partials to add up to 100%. I'd probably use Guardian's numbers for cybernetics, which are a bit less industrial, but something like this for

Head: 10%
Each Arm: 20% (as mentioned, you're not just going to stick a bionic arm into your unimproved shoulder socket)
Each Leg: 25% (again, you gotta build for that)
Torso: 30-40%

Which adds up to 140%, if you replace it all, or 100% if you just replace the arms and head and legs... but, at that point, the torso has to be reinforced to the point where it can deal with both the arms and the legs and, yeah, you're pretty much 100% bionic at that point, even if you've got some chunks of meat floating around.

For more fun, let's try

Cybernetics
Head 7% +1d6% (cybernetics) +1d4% (bio-systems)
Each arm 10% +2d4 (cybernetics) +1d6 (bio-systems)
Each leg 15% +2d6% (cybernetics) +1d8 (bio-systems)
Torso 20% +2d10% (cybernetics) +2d6% (bio-systems)

Bionics
Head: 10% +2d6%
Each Arm: 15% +2d8%
Each Leg: 20% +2d10%
Torso: 30% + 3d10%
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”