Rifts Antarctica and Deep South

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Re: Rifts Antarctica and Deep South

Unread post by Niji »

From the mouth of the author(of the net book as well apparently?)
From his profile/introduction:

-Yes, I am the lunatic behind Rifts® Antarctica. It was what I walked in the door with, and for anyone fretting over it, worry not. The book is essentially done and I have spent less than an hour "on the clock" working on it. It is a giant frozen candy shop full of weapons, toys and magic that any Rifts fan should appreciate.

So we can be sure it's not cuthlian level intrigue and madness but basically the "ice/cold themed player" super goodies cans shop source book! Which if you are like me is EXACTLY what you are hoping for!

HOPEFULLY this means full rules for cold/entropy related effects!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

There are likely a number of projects like this that are just waiting for NG2 and megaverse in flames to get done. The whole robotech thing also really I think threw them into a production loop last year but in the long run the boost to their cash flow from it really should put them in back in a strong stable position financially which should help new stuff flow a bit better.

Still as antsy as I get for new palladium stuff they are still a lot more productive than some other RPG systems I follow that get one maybe two books out in a year.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

kaid wrote:There are likely a number of projects like this that are just waiting for NG2 and megaverse in flames to get done. The whole robotech thing also really I think threw them into a production loop last year but in the long run the boost to their cash flow from it really should put them in back in a strong stable position financially which should help new stuff flow a bit better.

Still as antsy as I get for new palladium stuff they are still a lot more productive than some other RPG systems I follow that get one maybe two books out in a year.

I REALLY hope you are right. I hope they get like 6 plus books out this year if not more.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Niji wrote:From the mouth of the author(of the net book as well apparently?)
From his profile/introduction:

-Yes, I am the lunatic behind Rifts® Antarctica. It was what I walked in the door with, and for anyone fretting over it, worry not. The book is essentially done and I have spent less than an hour "on the clock" working on it. It is a giant frozen candy shop full of weapons, toys and magic that any Rifts fan should appreciate.

So we can be sure it's not cuthlian level intrigue and madness but basically the "ice/cold themed player" super goodies cans shop source book! Which if you are like me is EXACTLY what you are hoping for!

HOPEFULLY this means full rules for cold/entropy related effects!

From what Matt told me about it at the last POH it sounds really interesting! Im more looking forward to Antarctica then NG.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One thing I would also recommend for palladium would be at least a few things like fear the reaper every year something that sized to rifter sized. Its nice getting these big source books like NG1 and the vampire source book but I think throwing some smaller ones out also helps keep palladium visible and in the stores with new stuff.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Unless Antarctica has a major H.P.L. flavour to it, I couldn't give two flying wet-ones. Last thing I care about is ANOTHER 'murican paramilitary orginization "hidden for 300+ years until now."

Deep-south & Delta-Blues? *shrug* I know absolutely NOTHING about the projects so I have no feelings one way or other about 'em.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Antarctica sounds like another toy chest to me. I could be wrong.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Jorel wrote:Antarctica sounds like another toy chest to me. I could be wrong.

He definitely mentioned in his introduction that its a "Candy Shop" for new spells, weapons, monsters, etc so definitely sounds almost pure toy shop with perhaps a little extra.

Kinda like how Japan seemed like it was a relevant book but in reality was just a massive toy chest of skills, martial arts, new magic and cool things.

Methinks it might include an antarctic variant of "The Freezer" P.C.C. and some other good material.

I am hoping if it is a toy chest it compiles all the desirable "Ice and Freezing" based Weaponry(with Matt's improvement and variations amazingness), Spells, Classes, Monsters, etc.

His Rifter contribution to PFRPG with the Winter Serpents and Bears was extremely impressive and detailed.... was really blown away (and completely unexpected at how detailed and DIFFERENT they are despite being another bear peoples and another dragon race). His attention to minute details and the filling out of complex sociobehavioral context for new monsters is really impressive and entertaining, and his gadgets, toys, weapons, spells are always fairly balanced and reasonable while managing to pull off being "interesting" for "more weapons, spells, monsters."

I have great hopes...
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Say.... I kinda like that idea. Nazi's and Lovecraft? For bad guys to face, what's not to like?
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Jerell wrote:Say.... I kinda like that idea. Nazi's and Lovecraft? For bad guys to face, what's not to like?

Agreed, that sounds so cool!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Looking forward to both, after a Fantasy book (new, not anniversary)
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

forget about under-ice bases.. Project iceworm showed those are highly infeasible. people tend to forget, but the icecaps are glaciers. Glaciers move and shift and change, and tend to pummel everything in their path. this is why construction at the poles is stuff on top of the ice, or at best placed on top of the ice then covered in a layer of snow afterwards.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

strtkwr wrote:No, I have no interest whatsoever in the Antarctica book.

I have the opposite of interest in the Antarctica book.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

glitterboy2098 wrote:forget about under-ice bases.. Project iceworm showed those are highly infeasible. people tend to forget, but the icecaps are glaciers. Glaciers move and shift and change, and tend to pummel everything in their path. this is why construction at the poles is stuff on top of the ice, or at best placed on top of the ice then covered in a layer of snow afterwards.

This is RIFTS though, and Nazis are well known to be occultists so having a cabal of even weak M.C.C.s make the base "safe" against the glacial movement is absurdly easy. Plus if you have one of the here to yet unreleased monsters/dragons protecting the base(or perhaps the glaciers are sentient and in cahoots...).

Despite things like Glitterboys and Mage Knights running around in Rifts I find it strange the unwililingness of the suspension of disbelief specifically concerning fun ideas for antarctica is....

Plus if its built into the glacier it simply is always "moving" as a base....which is why we haven't found it IRL yet... Can build the structure out of Diamond too...
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Have the the Nazis include Stone Mages in with their occultists, and it's in the Antarctic that the first succeed in building a Pyramid (they have subs, they could bring in the stone from anywhere), and when they finally activate the Pyramid, it acts as an anchor for the polar ice cap, with the leylines acting as the 'chains' of the anchor. Or maybe they find the remains of a lost tribe of Atlantians, and subjugate them, and learn the Stone magic from them. Either way, they then have a stable foundation for their new 'world'. And then it gets covered in some 300+ years of ice & snow, so their civilization is buried in the ice.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

more than likely it would be like in AvP with a buried Pyramid that was older than life on Earth or something like that.

"The Devil's among us!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Jorel wrote:more than likely it would be like in AvP with a buried Pyramid that was older than life on Earth or something like that.

Ah, very good point. How could I forget that, I have the complete set on blu-ray, other than Prometheus. Still need to pick that one up.
Eureka!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I'd have preferred they did the actual story for AvP. The original one on the offworld ranch, but they must have thought it didn't have enough to offer in a movie format. Still I think there would be a Pyramid like that from the time of Atlantis, before it disappeared.

"The Devil's among us!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Was that the one where the woman is made a member of a Predator tribe? I can't remember the name of the novel now, and it's one of the many novels I lost in one of my moves. :(
Eureka!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Yes, but I read it first as the comic series and there were at least 2 series of it. I have the novel as well and I think it is just titled Alien vs Predator.

"The Devil's among us!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Jorel wrote:Yes, but I read it first as the comic series and there were at least 2 series of it. I have the novel as well and I think it is just titled Alien vs Predator.

Gotcha. Yeah when I heard they were going to make the first AvP movie, the rumor I had heard was that it was going to be based off that novel. Was disappointed it wasn't.
Eureka!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

There are similarities in the main strong female character and the relationship with the one predator, but that is about the extent of it.

"The Devil's among us!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Zachary The First wrote:Oh yeah, I'm imagining half the fun would be the explanation on how they survive and build a base at the South Pole.

April, 1945....a handful of u-boats, carrying several top Nazi scientists and their special projects, along with a few troops, high-ranking officials, and members of a top-secret division head to their Antarctic base. The war is lost to them, but they have been sent here to survive, and wait for the world change once again. Their scientists have designed a shelter which should allow them to survive until more permanent provisions can be made.

Also on board are several occultists, convinced that somewhere in this Neuschwabenland, there is a portal to another world, one that will bring them the long-lost glory of Ultima Thule.

What they find will change--alter--them forever, but the world will sleep on. Through rebuilding from the World War, through the Cold War seeing familiar enemies pitted against one another, through sending mankind into space. Through a so-called Golden Age, and through the terrible Fall that follows. It is that Fall that stirs them, to once again begin making plans, to rise to the power, to again propagate their hate and dominance.

For they know the secret of Something else, lying forgotten in ageless chambers beneath the ice at the world's end, now newly awoken. And not all evil wears a human face...

This is Awesome Zachary! I would very much like to see you work this out more. Please Sir, can I have some more?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Zachary The First wrote:You're very kind to say so! Maybe I'll write it up in article or a short sourcebook form. Hmmm....

Oh yes please! But freely distributed perhaps for your old pal Zoidberg? Otherwise I'll have to wait until someone throws their Rifter in the trash.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”