Palladium Books® Weekly Update – August 29, 2013
By Kevin Siembieda
Greetings from the wonderful world of Palladium Books. Actually, Palladium appears to be located in a dimensional pocket where time speeds by 3x faster and there is never a dull moment. A lot is going on (as usual) and Gen Con feels like a distant memory as we dive into work and juggle a number of projects. I’m just glad to say most of what is going on is good or exciting. Like trying to finish a number of products and get them into your hands over the next few months.
We all took last Saturday and Sunday off for a much needed rest. Though I’m afraid to say, none of us looked all that rested on Monday. This busy week, Wayne and I have banged out a few new advertisements, followed up on Gen Con contacts and other correspondences, and dealt with a few business matters, as well as having done some editing and writing on Rifts® Northern Gun™ One. I have also been plotting and setting the groundwork for a few new projects. That has involved several telephone conferences, a few brainstorming sessions at the Palladium offices, a meeting with Matthew Clements, and I hope to be meeting with Mark Dudley tomorrow. Otherwise, I’m still trying to catch up on the many emails that came in during and shortly after Gen Con (almost there).
Jeff Burke has been keeping busy with all matters involving Robotech® RPG Tactics™ and the Pledge Manager. Kathy has been busy processing orders and taking care of other business. Julius and Alex have been handling shipping and helping out on various fronts. In between, Jeff and I have been working on restructuring and rearranging the Palladium warehouse to maximum efficiency. Everyone has pitched in on that front, building new shelves and moving boxes of stuff around. Everything feels like it’s in a state of flux, but all leading to positive and exciting developments. The future for Palladium Books looks brighter every day.
Rifts® Northern Gun™ One – Advance Prototype Edition – Sold OUT
The NG-1 Advance Prototype Edition is sold out and gamers are loving it. I have 8-10 copies set aside and I may make 4-5 available for fans rather than lock ‘em away in the Palladium archives. We’ll keep you posted — or call the office to inquire.
UPDATE: Rifts® Northern Gun™ One
I had been struggling with writing since my return from Gen Con. Unlike some who caught a bug, I felt fine. I think there were just too many distractions, a zillion ideas racing through my mind, and a number of things to address. Now that I've cleared my plate, I think I have finally broken my mini-writer’s block. Writing has, finally, been coming smoothly this morning, and I have produced new Rifts® Northern Gun™ One material I feel very happy with. I’m giving the guys the holiday weekend off, though I expect to work through at least half of the long Labor Day weekend to get caught up. We are so close to finishing this dynamic book and I want it in your hands.
UPDATE: Rifts® Northern Gun™ Two
I can hardly wait to dive into this next chapter of Northern Gun. I want it out fast and think we can pull that off. Rifts® Northern Gun™ Two is just as fun and impressive as NG-1. And it is the very next title I dive into after NG-1. I’ve been talking with Chuck Walton and he is working on the artwork assigned to him. Much of the artwork is already done and the rest is being worked on right now. More to be assigned.
UPDATE: Rifts® Megaverse® in Flames™
Artists are working away on it. This book will see release before the end of the year. It is another dynamic Rifts® title that will leave you gasping and wanting more. And we plan to deliver.
UPDATE: Robotech® UEEF Marines™ Sourcebook One
I expect to be assigning out the artwork soon. So excited about this title too. Excitement over Robotech® and Robotech® RPG Tactics™ is only increasing. Awesome.
UPDATE: Robotech® RPG Tactics™
The game pieces are being turned into molds for mass production and the final touches are being made on the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ rule book, stat cards and other elements. Whoo hoo! It is nice to see this product line reaching fruition. Fans, distributors and all of us at Palladium are pumped up about this game line.
UPDATE: Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Pledge Manger – Ends/Closes September 8, 2013
We have gotten many requests from backers asking us to extend the “lockdown date” of the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Pledge Manager to the next pay period. Always aiming to please our customers, Palladium is extending the closing date through September 8, 2013. On September 9, 2013, orders in the Pledge Manager will be locked down. That leaves Kickstarter Backers about 10 days to make their final purchases. Our thanks for your support. This game line is going to rock.
Palladium Fantasy® Surprise
Our thanks to Travis Guerrero for his inspiring Palladium Fantasy gift to commemorate the 30th Anniversary. Very cool and a complete surprise. Thank you, Travis.
C.J. Carella’s Armageddon Girl Kickstarter
C.J. Carella is a name many of you will recognize as the author of such popular titles as Rifts® Juicer Uprising, Rifts® South America and the Nightbane RPG®, among other RPG titles for Palladium Books, Eden Games and Steve Jackson Games. C.J. parted ways with Palladium to pursue his own dreams. His latest endeavor is to raise enough money to publish an original novel entitled Armageddon Girl. The novel sounds fun to me and I thought you ladies and gents might like to know about it.
You can get much more information about C.J.’s Armageddon Girl novel via his Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cjcarella/armageddon-girl-a-novel-by-cj-carella
Joseph Bergmans Wins First Place in Lego Castle Competition
Joe has been a Palladium fan, friend and helper since the late 1980s when he was just a teenager! Joe is the gent who created the Coalition Dead Boy armor at one of the first Palladium Open Houses and is a very creative guy.
In addition to gaming, Joe is a Lego fanatic and a whiz at building Lego creations. He entered his Castle of the Dragon King in the 2013 Bricks by the Bay Lego competition (Santa Clara, California), and won awards for Best Castle, Best in Fantasy/Historical, and Most Creative Part Usage! Congratulations, Joe. Your castle is amazing. This construct took a month to conceive and build.
Mike Mumah is back at the drawing board
Fan favorite artist and Palladium pal, Mike Mumah, continues his therapy and recovery after his stroke last Christmas. I received an email from Mike this week stating he was ready to tackle professional art assignments again. Awesome. I’ll be sending him an art assignment later this week. It’s great to have you back, Mike.
Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend
This is the last Summer vacation of the year for most people in the USA. Enjoy and have fun. Ironically, I’ll probably be laboring most of the weekend. :) As noted earlier, I had been struggling with writing most of the week, but I’ve been enjoying a good day writing and I want to keep at it while I’m hot. I’ll probably work through at least half of the weekend to make up for lost time. I want these awesome books in your hands as soon as possible! Game on.
– Kevin Siembieda, Publisher, Writer and Game Designer
BACK IN PRINT: Chi-Town Pencil
Do Not Remove — Property of the Chi-Town Library
They’re fun and silly, and Rifts® gamers love them, so we pressed a new batch of Chi-Town Library pencils. They looks great on the gaming table.
- Printed on each are the words: Do Not Remove — Property of the Chi-Town Library.
- 50 cents each – Cat. No. 2561 – No. 2 pencil. Available now.
Robotech® Macross® Saga Sourcebook – Available Now – New size – 8½ x 11 size
All the famous mecha and action of Robotech® starts here with the Macross Saga when an alien armada enters Earth orbit. They have come to reclaim a lost spacecraft that crash-landed on Earth 10 years earlier. A space fortress that Earth’s protectors have rebuilt into their own flagship against alien invasion. The resulting conflict gives birth to heroes and becomes the stuff of legend, but the Earth will never be the same. Robotech® The Macross® Saga Sourcebook now available as an 8½ x 11 inch sourcebook.
Note: This is the setting for Robotech® RPG Tactics™, so if you’re looking for more information about the mecha, Earth’s defenders, the Zentraedi invaders, and the Macross Saga setting, this is the book for you. Epic adventure awaits.
A Robotech® Role-Playing Game Sourcebook:
- Transformable Veritech Fighters known as Valkyries take to the sky to defend the Earth.
- Destroids, giant walking tanks, are among Earth’s front-line defenders.
- The SDF-1 and Earth air, ground and space combat vehicles.
- Zentraedi mecha, powered armor suits, and select spacecraft.
- The Zentraedi warriors, their war machines and culture.
- Notable characters from the TV series statted out.
- Quick Character Creation Tables enable you to make Macross characters in 15 minutes or less.
- New skills and M.O.S. skill bundles.
- The Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® RPG “rule book” is needed to play (Cat. No. 550 or 550HC).
- 128 pages – $16.95 – Cat. No. 551 – standard 8½ x 11 size – Available now.
Rifts® World Book 33: Northern Gun™ One – in final production
Bigger. Better. And close to completion! Jam-packed with a ton of background information about Northern Gun and Upper Michigan, combat robots, cargo haulers, drones, weapons, characters and adventure hooks galore. More than 30 new robots including drones.
Northern Gun™ is the largest independent manufacturer of high-tech weapons, robots and vehicles in North America. Outside of the Coalition States, one could argue, no other kingdom is as powerful or influential, at least when it comes to technology and weapons. The manufacture and sale of Northern Gun weapons and vehicles has given virtually every kingdom, town, colony of settlers and adventurer group a chance to survive and prosper. Located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, NG has been the premier outfitter of mercenaries, adventurers and upstart kingdoms for generations. Now, for the first time ever, learn Northern Gun’s history, goals and plans for the future. Of course, that means new weapons, robots, power armor, vehicles and gear.
- In-depth look at Northern Gun and its business operations.
- Ishpeming, the face and people of Northern Gun.
- Northern Gun weapons and combat gear; new and old.
- Northern Gun robot drones; new and old.
- Northern Gun giant combat robots; new and old.
- Northern Gun freighters and hover trains.
- Northern Gun O.C.C.s and enforcers (the LPO).
- The NG Mercenary army and police.
- The NG Bounty Board, the largest collection of bounties and mercenary contracts anywhere on Rifts® Earth.
- Key locations, people and sales outlets in and around Northern Gun.
- Northern Gun’s relationship with the Coalition States, Triax Industries, the Black Market and others.
- Written by Matthew Clements and Kevin Siembieda.
- Interior Artwork by Chuck Walton, Mark Dudley, Amy Ashbaugh, and others.
- Wraparound cover by Chuck Walton.
- 192 pages – $24.95 retail – Cat. No. 887 – September release.
- Check out the FREE Advance Preview on DriveThruRPG.com! A new sneak preview will be coming in a couple weeks.
Rifts® World Book 34: Northern Gun™ Two
More information about the weapons, vehicles and practices of Northern Gun, including the new rage of robot gladiatorial combat.
- Northern Gun body armor; new and old.
- Bionic and cybernetic services.
- Northern Gun power armors; new and old.
- Northern Gun hovercycles & land vehicles; new and old.
- Northern Gun aircraft; new and old.
- Northern Gun boats, ships and submarines; new and old.
- Northern Gun Robot Gladiatorial Arena; new!
- Robot Gladiator O.C.C. and robot gladiators.
- Pirates and more.
- Written by Matthew Clements and Kevin Siembieda.
- Interior Artwork by Chuck Walton, Nick Bradshaw, and others.
- Wraparound cover by John Zeleznik.
- 160 pages – $20.95 retail – Cat. No. 888 – October release.
Rifts® World Book 35: Megaverse® in Flames™
The Minion War spills across Rifts Earth, where demons and infernals hope to recruit allies and use the Rifts as gateways of destruction. Their influence shakes things up across the planet, especially at locations where demons and Deevils already have a strong presence. Demons, Deevils and supernatural beings run rampant and wreak havoc across the world.
- Demon plagues and mystic blights.
- Soulmancy and Blood Magic revealed.
- Magical and demonic weapons and war machines.
- Demonic armies, strongholds and places of evil.
- Hell Pits and Rune Forges.
- Many Demon Lords, their minions and plans.
- Calgary, the Kingdom of Monsters; in detail.
- Ciudad de Diablo, Harpies’ Island and other notable Hell holes on Earth.
- Lord Doom, Pain and other demonic leaders.
- Horune treachery, Dimension Stormers and other villains.
- Notable demonic generals, mercenaries, people and places.
- Battleground: Earth – as demons and infernals amass their legions.
- Global chaos and the places most dramatically affected by the Demon Plagues.
- Epic battles and adventure ideas galore.
- Written by Carl Gleba. Part of the Minion War “Crossover” series.
- 192 pages – $24.95 retail – Cat. No. 876. November 2013 release.
Robotech® UEEF Marines Sourcebook One
- New mecha and weapons.
- Aliens and space adventure.
- Written by Irvin Jackson.
- 160 pages – Cat. No. 553 – $20.95 – December, 2013 release.
BACK IN PRINT: Rifts® Ultimate Edition
Imagine a world setting that is Earth 300 years after an apocalypse that results in the return of magic. Now imagine a world where magic and super-science collide. Where cyborgs and men clad in power armor and giant robots clash with demons, dragons and sorcerers.
Now imagine lines of blue, magic energy rippling across the land. Where two or more of those lines cross, there is a tear in the fabric of space and time. A Rift to infinite worlds and realities that have unleashed an endless cavalcade of aliens, mutants and monsters into our world. Some are adventurers like you, other are invaders, some are slaves or prisoners, and still others are demonic nightmares and gods from ancient myths. All now make Earth their home or hunting ground. Welcome to Rifts®.
Rifts® combines the genres of science fiction, fantasy, horror and post-apocalypse (among others) in a plausible setting where adventure is limited only by your imagination and the possibilities are truly infinite.
- 33 O.C.C.s – Bursters, Crazies, Cyber-Knights, Dog Boys, Glitter Boys, Juicers, Ley Line Walkers, Mind Melters, Psi-Stalkers, dragons, mutants & more.
- The Coalition States – heroes or villains?
- Coalition O.C.C.s, gear and States described.
- Psionic powers and characters.
- Magic spells and Techno-Wizardry.
- Techno-Wizard device construction rules.
- World information and background to set the stage for adventure.
- All the info you need to play is contained in this core rule book.
- Color end sheets painted by John Zeleznik. Cover by Scott Johnson.
- 24 pages of color, 75+ color images; great art throughout.
- Created and written by Kevin Siembieda.
- 90+ sourcebooks to expand your Rifts® adventures.
- 376 pages – Cat. No. 800HC – $39.95 – Hardcover.
Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® Role-Playing Game
All the data and details you need to role-play Robotech® are found in the Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® RPG – core rule book. Available in two affordable formats, an 8½ x 11 inch hardcover edition ($30.95) and a pocket-sized “manga” edition (16.95).
- Play Veritech Pilots & Cyclone Riders.
- Play Battloid Aces and other heroes.
- Battle the Haydonites & Invid.
- Play your favorite mecha.
- Fast playing & quick combat.
- Quick Roll creation lets you create characters in under 15 minutes.
- A complete role-playing game.
- $16.95 retail – 336 page Manga Edition – Cat. No. 550 – Manga size, fits in a pocket.
- Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® RPG “Deluxe” Hardcover – space combat rules & select spacecraft, a few additional weapons, vehicles & artwork – $30.95 retail – 8½ x 11 Hardcover – 224 pages – Cat. No. 550HC.
- A signed and numbered, Gold Collector’s limited edition with a signed tip-in color print (nine autographs) is also available for $70.00 retail – 8½ x 11 – 224 pages – Cat. No. 5500HC.
Robotech® RPG Tactics™ – Coming Fall 2013
Robotech® fans, this is the game you’ve wanted for decades, with beautifully sculpted, in scale, game pieces and the fast action of Robotech®.
Robotech® RPG Tactics™ is a fast-paced, tabletop combat game that captures the action and adventure of the Robotech® anime. Two or more players can engage in small squad skirmishes or scale up to massive battles. Relive the clashes of the First Robotech War, engage in stand-alone tactical games or use the dynamic game pieces to enhance your Robotech® RPG experience. Or simply collect your favorite mecha from an expanding range of top-notch game pieces.
Mecha vs Mecha. Take command of the fighting forces of the United Earth Defense Force (UEDF) valiantly defending Earth from alien annihilation. Or lead the massive clone armies of the Zentraedi Armada to recover an alien artifact of immense power and enslave humankind.
Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Box Set
- Brought to you by Palladium Books®, created with Ninja Division (the creative minds behind Soda Pop Miniatures and Cipher Studios).
- Rules by Alessio Cavatore, David Freeman and Carmen Bellaire.
- Full color, 128 page, softcover rule book; wraparound cover and lots of new, color artwork.
- 24 Battle Dice, 12 UEDF and 12 Zentraedi.
- 40 color game cards (unit cards, etc.).
- 4x VF-1A Valkyries (in Fighter, Guardian, and Battloid modes).
- 1x VF-1J "Officer" in all three modes.
- 4x Destroids: 2 Tomahawks and 2 Defenders.
- 12x Regult Zentraedi Battlepods.
- 1x Glaug Officer's Battlepod.
- 1x Quel-Regult Recon Battlepod.
- 1x Quel-Gulnau Recovery Pod.
- 1/285th scale, high quality, multi-pose plastic game pieces (40mm to 70mm tall). World-class sculpts from sculptors around the world.
- Game rules use D6.
- Turn-based system of play.
- Scalable from small squad skirmishes to mass battles. Can accommodate two to several players.
- Combat is fast and designed to emulate the anime action.
- Measuring tape required to determine targets and distance.
- Small parts and some assembly required. Game pieces come unpainted.
- Release Date: Barring any unexpected delays, the Robotech® RPG Tactics™ box game and initial expansion sets ship Autumn 2013 (November?).
- $90 retail price (tentative). The price of the final box set is not yet determined, but we want to hold it around $90.
- Cat. No. 55100 (Main Boxed Game).
The First Six Robotech® Expansion Packs
The initial expansion packs will also ship in the Fall. All prices listed are likely, but still tentative. We want most packs to fall in the $25-$35 price range.
- UEDF Valkyrie Wing (2x each, Fighter, Guardian, Battloid) – Cat. No. 55201 – $30.00 retail (tentative).
- UEDF Destroid Pack (2x Tomahawks, 2x Defenders) – Cat. No. 55202 – $30.00 (tentative).
- UEDF Spartan Pack (2x Spartans, 2x Phalanxes), Cat. No. 55203 – $30.00 (tentative).
- Zentraedi Regult Battlepod Squadron (6x Regults) – Cat. No. 55401 – $30.00 (tentative).
- Zentraedi Support Battlepods (4x Artillery Battlepods) – Cat. No. 55402 – $30.00 (tentative).
- Zentraedi Command Pack (1x Glaug, 1x Quel-Regult, 1x Quel-Gulnau) – Cat. No. 55403 – $35.00 (tentative).
- Additional expansion packs at intervals throughout 2014. More will follow. Exactly how many, and how fast, will depend on manufacturing considerations, sales and customer demand.
- Palladium plans to release the mecha and settings for ALL eras of Robotech®. Many other details are still in development.
- Tournament play support is planned. Ninja Division will help Palladium to develop and launch the program sometime in 2014.
PDF downloads from DriveThruRPG.com
This is a great resource for getting out of print Palladium titles and other select books. We’ve made 90 titles available as PDF digital downloads from DriveThruRPG.com. This is a great way to try Palladium products and get access to out of print RPG source material. Some notable titles include:
- The Rifter® #49-52 recently added – available now.
- Splicers® RPG.
- Beyond the Supernatural™ RPG, First Edition Rules.
- Boxed Nightmares™ for BTS, First Edition Rules.
- Nightbane® Book Four: Shadows of Light™.
- The Mechanoids® RPG and The Mechanoid Invasion® RPG Trilogy.
- Palladium Fantasy RPG®, First Edition Rules and select 1st Edition sourcebooks.
- After the Bomb® RPG and sourcebooks.
- The Rifter® issues 1-52.
- The Best of The Rifter®.
- Deluxe Revised RECON® RPG and Advanced RECON® Sourcebook.
- And more – go to DriveThruRPG.com and check ‘em out.
© Copyright 2013 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved.
Rifts®, The Rifter®, RECON®, Splicers®, Palladium Books®, The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game®, Phase World®, Nightbane®, Megaverse®, The Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, Coalition Wars® and After the Bomb® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books Inc. Beyond the Supernatural™, Chaos Earth, Coalition States, Dead Reign, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas & Superspies, Minion War, Mysteries of Magic, SAMAS, Thundercloud Galaxy, Three Galaxies, Vampire Kingdoms, and other published book titles, names, slogans and likenesses are trademarks of Palladium Books Inc., and Kevin Siembieda.
Robotech® and Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® are Registered Trademarks of Harmony Gold USA, Inc.
This press release may be reprinted, reposted, linked and shared for the sole purpose of advertising, promotion and sales solicitation.