Palladium Books - Press Release - May 8, 2003

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

I've know about this for about two weeks now and couldn't tell!!!

Congradulations to Kev and all the guys up in Michigan!!!

Tell Jerry I still want to drive Eleanore
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Star_Colonel_Ian wrote:
Maryann wrote:Tell Jerry I still want to drive Eleanore

What the hell is Eleanore? Jerry's badass car?

Hey, if I can make it for shooting, can I be an extra on the set? Please? What you guys need is a contest where one lucky Palladium fan gets to be in the movie. That person would probably get cut out, but they still get to claim they were there.

Ever see the Mustang in Gone in 60 Seconds? Jerry Bruckheimer bought the real one (4 mock ups were used in the film) and I wanna drive it!
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Ranger34 wrote:Congrats and may the movie be done way better than D&D. May it show up the matrix.

I don't think it's possible for ANYONE to make a movie worse than that movie loosely based on D&D. I could have written a better screenplay for christsakes! ANYONE who ever played the game could have.

Oh, and if the Rifts script is anything like the novels, with dozens of main characters, burn it. Keep the movie focused to a relatively small group.

Look at what Brian Singer/the X-Men writers did with that movie. They had the chance to include dozens of characters and all kinds of minor storylines, but they didn't - they kept it focused and mature and it worked really well. Follow the same equasion and you will make something that will appeal to the general public and not just Rifts fans (which are a comparitively small bunch)
Last edited by Cardiac on Thu May 08, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
CS John
D-Bee

Unread post by CS John »

so i guess my hope that this movie would get an R rating is out the window being disney eh? unfortunately 90% of the time pg-13 = mediocrity
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

CS John wrote:so i guess my hope that this movie would get an R rating is out the window being disney eh? unfortunately 90% of the time pg-13 = mediocrity

Disney has 3 divisions, this will not be a kiddy movie.

Oh and please remember Palladium will not have any control over the casting of this movie or any script approval. Thats in Mr. Bruckheimers very competent hands. I have faith that he's going to do an incredible job. This has been close to five years in negotiations and it feels so good to have it done.!!!!!

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Remember a few weeks ago when I said to be patient. This was it. I was dieing to say it happened but could not!!!! Now I want a 12 inch Glitter Boy with a six inch pilot with sound effects. :lol:
OH and remember Guys/Gals Palladium is not doing the movie Bruckheimer and Disney are. So if you think it is gonna stink to high heaven don't take it out on Kevin and Palladium!!! They want the suck factor as low as possible as do the rest of us.
Oh and Steve Bucieme(SP?) as a Crazy.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

DarkLordDC wrote:Has Bruckheimer ever made a movie that wasn't cool????

Not that I know of, but then again I didn't see Kangaroo Jack, but my sons, girlfriends six year old thought that movie rocked!

Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Days of Thunder is my least favorite. Then Top Gun......but that's probably because those were released during my childhood
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..congratulations gang! I'm psyched! Looks like I have a reason to buy that sleeping bag I saw on sale the other day now.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Congrats to Palladium. I found out a few weeks ago when I talked to Kevin. He sounded like he was walking on air heading to cloud nine!

CG
ImageImage
Demonboy®
D-Bee

Unread post by Demonboy® »

Yipppppppie-kaiiii-yaaaaay....errr...I mean Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!!!....

oooooohhhhhh are they gonna sanitize the Coalition States with its Uber-Soldat glamorizations :lol:
"I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red. "

TELL KEV WE WANT NEW ROBOTECH BOOKS!
Aerv
D-Bee

Unread post by Aerv »

Any word on what the story is going to be about, or how long it's going to be until they have a release date?

This is awesome, I've been waiting to see this for a long long time, I know Bruckheimer will do a good job on it, and Disney won't mess things up because they saw how bad the D&D movie flopped, they don't want it to happen to them.
Aerv
D-Bee

Unread post by Aerv »

Oh, btw, Drakonred...

*beats Draekonred over the head with a dragonslaying sword*

J00 should have given us a hint or something!!!
Prettz
D-Bee
Comment: Mrs. TAF

Unread post by Prettz »

Congratulations to Palladium Books.

I am anxious to see it.
A SIMPLE CHOICE OF TURTLE
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Congrats, Palladium. :)
CS John
D-Bee

Unread post by CS John »

not a kiddie movie, super. i was worried about that from the moment i heard rumors about a movie. i'm more interestd in seeing the direction Palladium Books will go after the movie is released and their fanbase has grown exponentially. lots to be excited about!
Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

I just hope Jerry doesnt cast someone like Vin Diesel for the part of main character.... He is a sportys money man, he isnt Sci Fi materiel. thats why XXX, and Fast and the furious we good, cause he looks like one of those thug G homies that would race cars, and do illeagle things. i hope they get someone like.... Hugh Jackman.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

DarkLordDC wrote:Wow, I need to verbally berate some of my contacts.... :nh:

But still. Great news! So glad that Kev and Disney were able to see eye to eye on things!

I love Bruckheimer's work. That guy knows how to make an exciting film.

Dark lord, they wanted to keep their Jobs, witch is why they kept their mouths shut.
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Aerv wrote:Oh, btw, Drakonred...

*beats Draekonred over the head with a dragonslaying sword*

J00 should have given us a hint or something!!!

the only thing I knew was that no one was talking about it because the word was that anyone who blabed would not get any work from them for a while.
冠双
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Make the movie in New Zealand!!
Look at how well we did LoTR!
That way I can go and get a job on the set and make some cool props, maybe get a job as an extra.
heh heh.. yeah right..
Well, all I can think of, about Disney and movies, is that the dog never dies.. so that's good news for the Dog Boys :lol:

I knew this day would come.. congrats Kevin!
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Congratulations for getting the deal done. :)

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Just how long have the negiotions been going on?
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

First off, Congratulations Palladium! I get to see my favourite RPG system in film at last! Hurrah!

But for every good news, there is a dark side...

Indeed. Kangaroo Jack isn't exactly rave review material, especially here in Australia. In fact, from what I have seen it's quite offensive. Now I know that Bruckheimer is not entirely to blame, but were I he I would distance myself from that film, a LONG way, lest he become the kent burles of movie making.

All I can do is utter the eternal gamer's prayer, you know, the one that we all said before the curtain opened on the pot-boiler of the D&D movie.... Please God, don't let it stink. I wish that Kevin would be able to have more input, but hey, them's the breaks, and if that's what it takes to make a movie, so be it. Let's hear it for palladium. I'll buy a ticket!
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Esckey wrote:Just how long have the negiotions been going on?

Four years, eleven months, one week.

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

*crosses fingers* Good luck Palladium! :ok:
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

Now is it my understanding that RIFTS has been Optioned for a movie? Or is it definate and work should start sometime soon. If you look at it this way, LOTS of licenses and Ideas get Optioned for a movie, but very litte ever comes of it. D&D the movie was optioned way back in like 1991. It took them what, 9 years to get it in the can?

Regardless for whatever happens ~ I congradulate the Peeps of palladiumbooks. I really look forward to such a movie!

Please tell me that KS will at the very LEAST be and advisor for the film!

Totally PSYCHED! Rock.

...................................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Pax Concord

Unread post by Pax Concord »

Well, it's inevitable that some changes will be made from the original source material. ("The boys in the art dept. think that the Glitter Boy would look better covered with blue neon tubes, kinda like Tron."). I think that it would be amusing if Palladium released a "Movie Sourcebook" attempting to reconcile what is depicted in the movie with what had previously been established in the RPG.

You guys must be pretty rich now, eh? Are there any expensive projects that you've wanted to do but couldn't for lack of capital? Now's the time, methinks!
Maryann
Adventurer

Auggggg!!!!

Unread post by Maryann »

There are so many tid bits I wish I could tell everyone! But soon, ... soon ...

Demonboy®
D-Bee

Re: Auggggg!!!!

Unread post by Demonboy® »

Maryann wrote:There are so many tid bits I wish I could tell everyone! But soon, ... soon ...

You know from what I've heard over the years and saw come into being from palladium, I have good vibes on this. Palladium has done Robotech, TMNT, RPG books, CCG, Mintures, et cetera. All in various degrees of Success. So hopefully, after this, Palladium will be in a better posistion to dominate the market. i wanna see Palladium Material become a household name in the areas like Todd McFarlane Toys (Imagine detailed Palladium Action Figures of that grade or better), RIFTS RTS Computer Games, Animated Series, Live Action TV Movies, maybe even a Palladium TV Series like Babylon 5 or Star Trek. Be nice seeing the mavericks of the rpg market proving once again, that they have The Right Stuff...an maybe a Full Colored, high Gloss, High Detail HArdbound Books;) :lol:
"I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red. "

TELL KEV WE WANT NEW ROBOTECH BOOKS!
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Maryann wrote:
Esckey wrote:Just how long have the negiotions been going on?

Four years, eleven months, one week.

...but whose counting, right? :lol:

CG
ImageImage
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

MattBaby wrote:Palladium needs to get cracking on consolidating its RIFTS material for the coming wave of success. If they're lucky, it might catapult them to #1. If not, of course, well it's gonna be bad.

I think we're going to start seeign alot of license like this picked up. The Comic Movie thing (if it hasn't already) will start to get old and the studios will have to start looking for more material. The problem is tho that alot of the major license have already been "optioned" for film Especially over the last 4-5 years. ShadowRun comes to mind first.

I agree, seeing RIFTS on the Big screen will get the sales pumping and the jiuce flowing for Bigger and Better RIFTS (not just RPGs either. I just hope it's all for the best!

Oh yeah, MARYANN, PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE just give us a hint! please.
Well ok, maybe not - but I still can't wait for the rumors to really start flying!

.....................................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Richard Edminson wrote:true. (now ........if ever, would be a good time for a second EDition)

(pssst, its not gonna happen any time soon, meaning not in the next few years)

Aerv
D-Bee

Unread post by Aerv »

Hey, if the Rifts movie does good, does that mean we'll get a Nightbane movie next? :D

Also, you should get a ad done on the movie, like during the opening previews talking about the actual RPG, so that people realize that it's all based on the game, and not the other way around.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

The Reverend wrote:Now I want a 12 inch Glitter Boy with a six inch pilot with sound effects.
:shock:

i'm going to say woo to this news. :ok:
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Ah... are we talking the same Bruckheimer here? Coyote Ugly? Gone In Sixty Seconds? Armageddon? Con Air? I mean the guy's got a few good movies under his belt, but I seriously doubt the world at large would consider his stuff to be universally cool.

Rallan
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

Esckey wrote:Days of Thunder is my least favorite. Then Top Gun......but that's probably because those were released during my childhood

No for me it has something to do with that Cruise fellow. TG is saved for me just because of the uber-kewl Val Kilmer and somewhat nerdy but somewhat kewl anthony Edwards.

As to the Rifts movie, let's just say this is gonna rock....this is a real production company with a proven track record of hits, not like that Courtney guy who did the DnD movie.

Though w/o script control, I can't wait to see what Hollywood does to Rifts Earth.... :? Any chance of an HU movie if this works? ;)

Tony

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Rallan wrote:

Ah... are we talking the same Bruckheimer here? Coyote Ugly? Gone In Sixty Seconds? Armageddon? Con Air? I mean the guy's got a few good movies under his belt, but I seriously doubt the world at large would consider his stuff to be universally cool.

Rallan

Bruckheimer is the most profitable producer in Hollywood. I think he's universally thought of as a top notch producer.

Brandy Cron

Unread post by Brandy Cron »

Definate congrats are in order; 1, for making an RPG that ROCKS so much they're making it into a movie, and 2, for branching out into more markets with Rifts. I can't wait to see what happens when more people start picking up on how much Palladium has to offer.
Sinder Sleeping
D-Bee

Unread post by Sinder Sleeping »

Fantastic!
When your Hot! your Hot! when your not your Toast!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Congratulations to the ppl at PB :ok:.

Good luck for the film production.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Ahhh...sweet satisfaction. Oh how I have dreamed of this day... :twisted:

Make us proud palladium.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
SharDCRuez

Rifts Movie

Unread post by SharDCRuez »

First off, I pray this movie will make it as some sort of success. Secondly, D&D didn't suck. You must understand, it was produced to be seen as if watching a D&D game in progress. So in that regard, it did rather well. (And if you are comparing it to LOTR.. Shut up. LOTR had an INCREDIBLE budget to work with. It was New Line Cinema's last ditch effort. They were flopping big time on their money management.) And on a personal note, my thoughts go to wondering how the story shall go. There is mentions all over the Palladium Books site, mentioning they will not be supervising or the such at the production of the movie. Does this mean they won't help with it at all, or will they possibly give some advice? I mean, we don't want the guy making a Glitter Boy some little 4 ft. tall drone for a D-Bee race, you know.

Anywho, that is my voice. I'm getting off my soap box.. (And taking it with me! Mwhahahahaha! Oh, sorry.)
Lazlo Kid
Wanderer

Unread post by Lazlo Kid »

That's just great. It's about time Palladium started getting the press time it deserves! As a loyal fan of Palladium since the very beginning, I'm really excited for all you folks! Keep up the good work!
Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom: "No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less."
Typhon

Unread post by Typhon »

Your not the only one, I remember when Mechaniods first came out. *hugs his copy of that, which he keeps in near mint condition*

I hope to hear the release date on the movie soon.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

skippythebox wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Star_Colonel_Ian wrote:
Maryann wrote:Tell Jerry I still want to drive Eleanore

What the hell is Eleanore? Jerry's badass car?

Hey, if I can make it for shooting, can I be an extra on the set? Please? What you guys need is a contest where one lucky Palladium fan gets to be in the movie. That person would probably get cut out, but they still get to claim they were there.

Ever see the Mustang in Gone in 60 Seconds? Jerry Bruckheimer bought the real one (4 mock ups were used in the film) and I wanna drive it!

you know you could have had that written into the option agreemant.....

Well only if they would agree to it and he wouldn't. I tried ...

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Lazlo Kid wrote:That's just great. It's about time Palladium started getting the press time it deserves! As a loyal fan of Palladium since the very beginning, I'm really excited for all you folks! Keep up the good work!

Hey Lazlo, how you been? Long time no see.
:)
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Re: hopeful but cynical

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

mystarinmajere wrote:ok peeps multiple points

a) Disney, mmm...can`t help but think all that truly `real` stuff that makes the palladium world stand out, as in death cults, neo-nazism, other-worldly beasties,(basically an appreciation tat we are NOT all 12 yrs old) etc etc etc may be `toned down` to appeal to mass-market holywood cinema audiences will apply

b) realised a) makes me sound like a power gaming moron wannabe goth

c) Rifts is easily seen as a power gamer`s paradise but has a depth and richness of flavour rarely seen in many modern RPGs. it has magic, Hi-tech and an acknowledgement of `real` themes such as predujice and the simple need to survive that many game overlook when placed against "Dwarfs hate Elves" and other one-dimensional basic concepts. I wanna see this preserved in any mass-market venture.

d) realised I`m using to many `

e) Rifts is one of my favourite games. I fear the dilution of the theme. it is such a rich gaming theatre, almost any type of game can be set in the world, unfortunately this includes your average "post-holocaust" love story with some interesting(ish) stuff in the background. (a la D&D movie)

e) there are more but I`ll save them for future posts

f) I sooooooo want a good Rifts movie. Will probably be the only thing that would outshadow the Matrix movies (Cyberpunk<tm> anyone) but am to British and cynical to raise my hopes.

g) er....better shut the hell up now

Uhm... Gee. This'll teach me to be away from the boards for any length of time. Congratulations to the folks at Palladium!

Just a quick note to remind people like mystarinmajere... Disney owns several different movie companies in addition to Walt Disney Pictures (Touchstone, Miramax, and Hollywood come to mind IIRC). Don't let the Disney name make you think you're gonna see Winnie-the-Pooh buzzing around the 100 Acre Wood in a SAMAS or a Glitter Boy with mouse ears.

I think this has enormous potential, but only if they narrow their focus to a small group of adventurers (see the X-Men analogy early on in this thread). If the movie is successful (I'd like to say "when" but I thought the D&D movie was going to be a success too...), you still have lots of stuff to pull from for sequels.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

:D I hope it does get made. As long as the script is halfway decent, I won't complain much.
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
ProtoClone

Wow, yet another RPG optioned for a movie.

Unread post by ProtoClone »

I don't know about all of you, but I am a multi-RPG'er. So I keep track on lot's of RPG's, and I like to hear things like Rifts possiblely getting a movie. It was like when I heard about Dragonlance getting optioned for a movie a year ago, it makes you happy. Then you think about it, and think about it some more..."They don't think like me, they don't care about it like I do. I hope they don't do this, or that, or...man, they could really mess this up."

Now I am not saying they will. But I am saying that (as someone else posted) this world is a violent one. To make a Rifts movie you are probablely going to have to water it down so it's not so dark and forboding. You're probablely not going to see Coalition as a (real in the sense of the definition of Neo) Neo-Nazi army. But more as an army lead by an evil dictator bent on world domination at any cost, with no metion of Hitler being his inspiration.

Also, let's hope that the combat is not as klunky as the mechanics of the combat system.

If the movie is going to be anything like the game. Magic users and psionists are going to be the only real characters that grow with the movie.

We are also probablely going to be jipped out of enviroment f/x's. Such as, scenerary, activity, and action.

Just my thoughts, this is all.
Coric

Re: Palladium Books - Press Release - May 8, 2003

Unread post by Coric »

If this is goiing to be a real disney movie, don't let the mom die. the mom always dies...

Return to “Rifts® Movie”