Negative Matter

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Negative Matter

Unread post by Incriptus »

Has anyone ever tried to use this power?

It seems kind of wierd, it says alot of stuff in the text.

"Bodies of positive matter and negative matter of the same weight will move away from each other because of gravitational repulsion."

does that mean that a character with the power is forced away from anything weighing as much as or more than he does? If so what about the Earth, it weighs more than the character, is he left bobbing in the sky because he's being repelled from the earth.

"Connecting the two will result in continuous movement in the direction of the positive matter, because the negative matter will push away the positive. This reaction in turn, attracts the negative. This push-pull reaction is constant and results in acceleration and movement."

are they trying to say that his power can be used as a form of movement, ie strap something to your body, and repell it, letting it carry you to where you are going?

Has anyone ever tried to use this power?, if so what have your experiences been with it, how did it work out for you?
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Negative Matter

Unread post by acreRake »

Yeah, i've wondered about this power too. The only time i've encountered it in-game was against a high-level NPC who used it in the middle of a crowded office. The result was, basically, an explosion.

Dan (the good The Baron vonClogg) posted a revision of the power on his website, which (as always) is thoughtful and well-done.

here's a link: http://members.cox.net/d.steiner/HeroesUnlim/
Look on the left under: Superpowers, Corrections. The powers are listed in alphabetical order. :ok:
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

The Baron vonClogg wrote:Thanks for the plug, acreRake- I just re-read that power.... It's pretty complicated, but I still like it. :)

PHaRTnONu: They say pretty clearly, IIRC, that "negative" matter is not anti-matter. True that we don't have any actual negative matter to work with in real life, but current cosmological research has found that some kind of repulsive force is dominating the accelerating expansion of the universe right now.... Might not be anti-gravity, but that's one way to think about it. Anti-matter's not as rare or destructive as you might think- We create it every day in labs without blowing ourselves up. :)

Now the Relatavistic Heavy Ion Collider up north.... That's some dangerous crap. One of my professors was at the meeting where they first asked "if we turn this on, will it destroy the universe?" Three weeks later, they were reasonably sure that it wouldn't. We're still here, so I guess they were right....

You look at the size of the universe, and think of how many worlds there are, how many of them must have life, and how many of those worlds must have developed technology, and then ask yourself, is it really that likely that nobody has come along who wasn't gonna flip that switch?

No Stimpy, don't press the button!!!! :lol:
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

the drunken werebear wrote:you push away what ever weighs like 75% less than you do
so the earth will not repel you
your weight is the basis for repulsion
i do like the idea of aps metal combined with this power
especially if the villan is using a missle type weapon

see the odd thing is that in the text it says that Matter and Negative Matter repel each other, but from the way the power works (and the way I'd likely play it) Negative Matter repels Matter, but Matter has it's normal effect on Negative matter.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

PHaRTnONu wrote:your not very smart

:) :-) :-D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:

Yeah, i think i'll take Dan's word for it.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

That quote would be funny if it wasn't so sad... :nh:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Ed-Zero
D-Bee
Comment: >>Hear noise in closet
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!

Unread post by Ed-Zero »

ready the threoies again

Dispite the horrible spelling, everything your basing your argument on is a "theory", it has not been proven and is quite possible that it might not even work the way scientists think it would.
I cheat to win and I win because I cheat.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”