Promised Books

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Promised Books

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

PF Land of the Damned 3 Bleakness
PF Lopan (I replaced the old writer)
Rifts WB Lazlo - Summer 2004
CE First Responders - Fall 2007
Rifts Antarctica - Winter 2012/2013
Rifts Disavowed - Dec 2018
Rifts Heroes of Humanity Arsenal - Dec 2018
Rifts Living Nowhere - Dec 2018
Rifts Bestiary Vol 2 - Dec 2018
Rifts Coalition Manhunters - June 2020
Rifts Titan Robotics - June 2020
BTS Creature Feature - June 2020

Everything else got cancelled, or the manuscript wasn't any good, or any number of reason books don't come out. Things happen. By the way
Wizards of the Coast can provide its staff Health Benefits for Self and Families, Parental Leave, Direct and Indirect Compensation. Kevin only wishes he could
do that for the six people he employees and the many freelancers. Open any D&D book and look how many people are contributing. Author Michael Connelly writes a book during Covid in April and it get edited and on the shelf by January. Not possible for us. Michael Connelly not juggling 15 different things.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

I know books get cancelled for various reasons. It's frustrating and sad but I know it happens. What I'm wondering now is, could any of these books be produced as RAW editions? Those that were close to being done could still be their own book while those that are less finished could be grouped together like the Chaos Earth RAW book?

It'd be a way to honor those who've passed. It'd be a way of giving fans books they've waited years for and may otherwise never get. It'd also be a way to generate money. My funds are limited but I'd totally by RAW editions of these books.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

blackaeon wrote:
Just got confirmation on shipping for my RAW Lazlo book, so it seems feasible for at least one of the previously mentioned books. I've gone back and forth with feelings about Palladium's release schedule over the years, but at the end of the day, I realized that I waited hopefully for a third season of Twin Peaks since 1991, and I've never been as disappointed with a book I've waited x years for from Palladium as I was with that third dang season. If Palladium was backed by a multinational manufacturing corp that had four and a half billion on hand in cash assets and the toy licenses for most major kids properties at the end of 2020, I reckon someone could rightly feel entitled to expect more frequent releases. As far as generating cash goes outside of RAW prints and the like, I for one missed the Megaversal Insider stuff previously, so that's something I'd be down to clown on if it became a thing again!

I'm not sure about Megaversal Insiders stuff? I am sure though that I'd rather have an unfinished book than no book at all. I know Palladium is a small company and that things happen. It would be nice if books came out regularly and nothing got cancelled but I understand why it doesn't. I'm hoping more books will be produced, late if need be. I would also prefer a finished book but I'll take a RAW one if that's all there is. And with 30 or so cancelled books there must be enough material to create a few RAW editions.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

What I am wondering is what happened to New Navy and Hardware Unlimited?
Both had full texts available to browse at one of the Open Houses.
Finished up to the point of having had spacing for art blocked out.

Why are things like *that* still unprinted?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Prince Artemis wrote:Cancelations happen for various reasons, its how writing works. Heck, China 3 is dropped because the author died before he could finish, and no one has the level of knowledge he had that's willing to write it.

Crap happens. See a book there you really wanted to see come out? Get to writing and submit something XD

But HU: Hardware Unlimited and New Navy manuscripts are already done. Greg D. was showing them off at the last POH and getting everyone to sign petitions to have it published. Heck them still not being announced is one of the reasons that I lost most of my motivation to finish writing WB: Alyeska. What is the point of writing my "amateur" manuscript if KS isn't going to do anything with Greg's? Makes me wonder how many completed manuscripts are sitting on Kevin's desk.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:What I am wondering is what happened to New Navy and Hardware Unlimited?
Both had full texts available to browse at one of the Open Houses.
Finished up to the point of having had spacing for art blocked out.

Why are things like *that* still unprinted?

Was the last one and they're Greg D's.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sambot wrote:
blackaeon wrote:
Just got confirmation on shipping for my RAW Lazlo book, so it seems feasible for at least one of the previously mentioned books. I've gone back and forth with feelings about Palladium's release schedule over the years, but at the end of the day, I realized that I waited hopefully for a third season of Twin Peaks since 1991, and I've never been as disappointed with a book I've waited x years for from Palladium as I was with that third dang season. If Palladium was backed by a multinational manufacturing corp that had four and a half billion on hand in cash assets and the toy licenses for most major kids properties at the end of 2020, I reckon someone could rightly feel entitled to expect more frequent releases. As far as generating cash goes outside of RAW prints and the like, I for one missed the Megaversal Insider stuff previously, so that's something I'd be down to clown on if it became a thing again!

I'm not sure about Megaversal Insiders stuff? I am sure though that I'd rather have an unfinished book than no book at all. I know Palladium is a small company and that things happen. It would be nice if books came out regularly and nothing got cancelled but I understand why it doesn't. I'm hoping more books will be produced, late if need be. I would also prefer a finished book but I'll take a RAW one if that's all there is. And with 30 or so cancelled books there must be enough material to create a few RAW editions.

I think they need to stop doing the RAW editions. Sure they drive up sales if the book is good but it also drives down sales if the book isn't good. Leaving the tension and anticipation of getting a complete book makes it so that even if the book isn't the best more people will buy it because they haven't found out what they don't like. I'm almost worried that KS will go to an all RAW format, never publishing another complete product because it is less expensive.

Go from the Palladium, "softback to save you money" to the Neo Palladium no cover, no polish, no art, to save you money. Then Post Neo Palladium "straight from my computer to a PDF no cover, polish, art, or editing... to save you money". Kevin please don't do these I was just kidding.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sambot wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I think they need to stop doing the RAW editions. Sure they drive up sales if the book is good but it also drives down sales if the book isn't good. Leaving the tension and anticipation of getting a complete book makes it so that even if the book isn't the best more people will buy it because they haven't found out what they don't like. I'm almost worried that KS will go to an all RAW format, never publishing another complete product because it is less expensive.

Go from the Palladium, "softback to save you money" to the Neo Palladium no cover, no polish, no art, to save you money. Then Post Neo Palladium "straight from my computer to a PDF no cover, polish, art, or editing... to save you money". Kevin please don't do these I was just kidding.

I hope Palladium doesn't go all RAW editions too. I hope they don't even do it for every book. I do hope that they do it for books stuck in development hell or that had been started and then cancelled. There does seem to be enough to keep the printers busy for a while.
Now see there is a good marketing idea. Release the RAW even incomplete manuscripts for all the unpublished backlogged and or killed books. It would increase desire for the stuff we're still waiting for like Mechanoids Space :-D and let us honor the passing of some authors who's works we won't see completed :'(

I also think RAW Editions have a value beyond freeing books, or even just pieces, from development hell. I think they're better than pre-orders for gauging customer's reactions. It's not a description of what might be. It's an actual book you can look at. It's like being a test audience for a TV show or movie. You actually get to see the product not just a description. Sure, the final product may be very different but it's still better than paying for an item that never comes. Plus RAWs are good because the reviews can tell you how to proceed.

If the book is well received, give it art and send it to the printers. If the reception was okay, rewrite the areas that weren't liked. If it bombs and is important but still important to the story rewrite it to make it better. If it's not that important cancel it. Books are expensive. Why waste time and money on a book that won't sell? It'd be better to put the resources into a book that will.

I think it could also prevent bad will and impressions. Tension and anticipation are only are a double edged blade. They get the customers attention but what happens once they get the book and don't like it? They're less likely to buy another. OR the book gets left of the shelves which makes the stores less likely to carry other books. If the company knew ahead of time how the book would do they could take steps to make any needed improvements.
Only good if the RAW don't cost anywhere near the price of the full book. Maybe even make it where if we buy a RAW we get a discount off the Polished version.

I don't think every book needs a RAW edition. I think some things could be put in the Rifter (Please being it back.) Mostly the smaller things that wouldn't take up a small book and previews of things in the works. For bigger things though, I do see the value in having some RAW editions. Especially, if it's RAW or nothing. I'd take a 90% completed book over no book which is what we have now.
agreed
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Everything else got cancelled, or the manuscript wasn't any good, or any number of reason books don't come out. Things happen. By the way
Wizards of the Coast can provide its staff Health Benefits for Self and Families, Parental Leave, Direct and Indirect Compensation. Kevin only wishes he could
do that for the six people he employees and the many freelancers. Open any D&D book and look how many people are contributing. Author Michael Connelly writes a book during Covid in April and it get edited and on the shelf by January. Not possible for us. Michael Connelly not juggling 15 different things.[/quote]

If things are that bad and money is so tight, perhaps it is time to look into seeing if WOTC is interested in either a partnership with Palladium or buying it outright. Either way at least books would come out at a decent rate and the employees of a possible partnership would get the increased benefits WOTC offers to its present employees.

Emerald
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Emerald MoonSilver wrote:Everything else got cancelled, or the manuscript wasn't any good, or any number of reason books don't come out. Things happen. By the way
do that for the six people he employees and the many freelancers. Open any D&D book and look how many people are contributing. Author Michael Connelly writes a book during Covid in April and it get edited and on the shelf by January. Not possible for us. Michael Connelly not juggling 15 different things.

If things are that bad and money is so tight, perhaps it is time to look into seeing if WOTC is interested in either a partnership with Palladium or buying it outright. Either way at least books would come out at a decent rate and the employees of a possible partnership would get the increased benefits WOTC offers to its present employees.

Emerald[/quote]

Heathen.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tiree wrote:
Emerald MoonSilver wrote:

Emerald

I don't want to sound mean. But who are we to decide when an owner of a company to sell their company? It's their decision, it's personal, and soul searching. From seeing someone who built a business, and then had to let it go. It's not something that is ever taken lightly.

That being said, IIRC Steve Jackson Games had an open letter to buy other game companies.

Right? I'd rather see it go to SJG than have it go to the division of Hasbrouck that has killed more gambling than it has built.

Granted, I'd rather see KS incorporate and offer non controlling shares on the market and pass controlling shares to whomever he wishes (of course I think it should be the fans). After doing so use the capital to maintain a stable of writers and editors. So the company can start really producing books. Maybe even their own press to produce the limited run stuff.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

When KS either retires (HAHAHAHA) or passes, I expect the IP's to be sold and the company to be shuttered.

No real malice in that observation, just an opinion
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

If there is too high a cost of printing incomplete or raw books, then use a digital format then. You save money on printing and shipping. You buy them online then print them at home. Laser printers are cheap these day and so is paper. SHould only take a few minutes to print a 200 or 300 page book.

Emerald.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

OK where are the air marshals, this thread has been hijacked and is on its way to Cuba or maybe Schenectady. :D not sure but it is definitely off its flight plan.

Seriously though a lot of these are valid points, many are just abusing a deceased equine, and some are a little...ghoulish.

As stated in the OP why these books were canceled is of limited, if any importance, what I wanted was to try and create a list of books that have been promised but have not yet been published in a finished form as these books have popped into multiple discussion over the last year or so.

As for what happens if KS passes, which I agree with JH is far more likely than his retirement, I know at the 2015 POH they said there was a plan. What that plan is I have no idea or if it has survived the 6 years since but a plan existed. I mean at the 1st POH in 2006 most of us thought that PB was going to be dead and gone by 2007 so the last 15 years have been more or less gravy.

For my part if PBs IPs were to be sold off it is likely I would simply be gone. SJG would probably be the best option of those listed but I have never owned any of their books and I have only played there games at cons. WoC would be death to PB IPs or they would all become card games. Death, card game, same thing I guess.

I will get around, eventually, to adding some of the books mentioned in the thread to the main list and then add to it with things from the MoP and Rifte but it will be awhile.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

I remember very clearly a sourcebook called Speed Tribes for Rifts. It never got written. I want to say Tim Bradstreet pitched it.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

What I wish they'd do is switch the RAW copies to PDF only.. that would reduce the costs, and you can always pull the product from drivethru after a specific time leaving the result still limited release
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Josh Hilden wrote:You'll never see most of those.

Books get canceled, it happens.

How many of these have been officially cancelled, with an announcement?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sureshot wrote: Unless a book is ready to go to the printers it should not even be in Coming Soon section imo.

YUP.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
blackaeon
D-Bee

Unread post by blackaeon »

Based on what was said in the Weekly Update as of today, there won't be any more posted release dates until there's more of a hard date for the release on books, and Rifts Australia 2&3, UWW, and Mechanoid Space were specifically mentioned as not being released anytime soon and officially shelved. I imagine it'll get pulled as a pre-order from the store. But yeah, seems to solve that problem!
"A frog and a packrat mixed together is pretty much a cat" - Liblet Thumblejump

www.realplaygamespod.com is where my friends and I play a bunch of TTRPG games, including a bunch of Palladium ones!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”