Aquatic campaigns

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Aquatic campaigns

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

tl;dr For anyone ever interested in ocean and underwater settings for games, what aspects did you most enjoy?

Intro: I've recently been playing a phone game called Sea Invaders. It's a standard shmup with the menus copied from Archero, set with an oceanic theme. One plays a whale whose loud impulse sounds are strong enough to kill laser lobsters and plasma pufferfish. While different in tone, I began to reminisce about the Genesis game Ecco the Dolphin, which probably wasn't helped by the soundtrack sounding a lot like Phantasy Star II. Long story short I now need some magical dolphin adventure in my life.

While I'm compiling a list of the different aquatic stuff in Palladium Books as a bit of a master reference, I have one first question. I'm interested in converting some more Vince Martin illustrations of spaceships and drones into cetacean power armor, and wonder both if I've found all of them and if anyone has opinions on for what roles such armors might have been designed.

Rifts Mercenary Sourcebook pp 126-130
Dimension Book 2 pp 166-173
Dimension Book 3 pg 3, pg 74, pg 83 pg 94, pp102-103
Dimension Book 13 pg 64 (repeat)

A couple of these have too many lines to seem appropriate underwater, or look like they might fit a Dragon Ray better than a dolphin, or are just an egg shape, but a few are plug and play. The drone in Mercenaries with hands seems like it might be suited to demolition disposal, as an example, while other models could incorporate experimental TW components designed by rogue Naut'yll working with Tritonia so as to allow air travel.

As a tertiary motivation I'd say the New Navy could use a bit of an update so as to keep abreast with power creep. While the easy solution might just be to allow Heroes of Humanity-style training it ultimately could involve putting most of the military-style characters in Palladium Books on a continuum. While there are enough MOS/Skill Package versions out there to at least get started at standardizing a Megaversal Soldier, I've got magic dolphins on the brain.
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Aquatic campaigns

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Doing underwater games is really challenging, but also really awesome. There is so much volume to use for games that it really makes them just as exciting as a regular land based game.

Water depth is a huge thing that needs to be addressed, since coastal areas and few hundred feet deep is a totally different world than a thousand feet down or ten thousand feet down.

I have found that the main feeling to get across is the verticality of the setting. Up and down are more important than directions....it is more like constantly flying, and how structures can be truly immense. Also, being able to have seamless underwater/underground settings is great. Enormous caves, thousands of feet down, extinct volcanoes, underwater rivers...

The environment itself, the immeasurable ocean, underwater rifts, is what I have found to be the biggest draw for an underwater game. If I were to run one again, I would make the PCs be underwater beings, not humans or surface dwellers that are visiting. Being an actual aquatic being makes the game much more visceral.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Underwater.....
The CS Navy and there was a article written by Glitterboyxxxx in one of the rifters. Issue 60's or 70's ish.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

If you're worried about the New Navy keeping pace, just give them NEMA gear from the Chaos Earth books.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Underwater.....
The CS Navy and there was a article written by Glitterboyxxxx in one of the rifters. Issue 60's or 70's ish.

The Deep Frontier, rifter 70

for an aquatic campaign, the big thing is going to be the premade undersea communities you can visit, and the ability to make your own.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

While giving the New Navy NEMA gear is a good idea, I wouldn't say that I was worried about them keeping pace. Military classes are a perennial subject in Palladium games, and adding O.C.C. bonuses has become increasingly prevalent, especially when compared to the earliest RMB-era books. While I think instead tying those bonuses to a skill program-based system would have a host of advantages, one I'd perhaps most appreciate is being able to nip discussions on why Rifts Spetnaz operatives blow Navy Seals out of the water right in the bud.

More generally relating to undersea stuff, while putting together a list I've noticed some categories of fauna don't get much love, officially speaking. Other than as part of Lemurian stuff cnidaria like jellyfish have yet to have some wacky version made, for instance. I'd also be interested in hearing ideas about something neat to do with manatees or (Dr?)Dugong, and think colonial zooids are a ready made excuse for some sort of series of oceanic hive minds. As an example, while I'm sure much of the Australia 2 manuscript was unfortunate, I wouldn't mind finding out if something was submitted regarding the Great Barrier Reef.

Return to “Rifts®”