TMNT Revised Skill rules question

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

vidarr
D-Bee

TMNT Revised Skill rules question

Unread post by vidarr »

Okay, I posted this question once, but it seems to have disappeared.

Background: I haven't played Palladium games in years. But in my other game systems, my character can learn new skills, whether you call them College, High School, Secondary Skills, whatever.

I noticed, while rolling up a TMNT Revised character for the first time since rocks were soft, that there appeared to be no provision for learning new skills.

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Vidarr
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: TMNT Revised Skill rules question

Unread post by Shark_Force »

you can go back to college etc. can't recall where the rules for it are, though.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

This issue comes up every so often. It's no mistake for AtB or TMNTaOS, and somewhere in the posts you can find a response as to why. Basically, it was an intentional omission as the creators didn't see TMNTaOS as a long term campaign setting. *shrug*

I addressed this back in '07 for AtB with the Teacher/Instructor Apprenticeship, which includes rules for learning or teaching new skills. I've never had the opportunity to use it in a game, so I'd love to hear how well or poorly it works for you if you use it.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

I found one of the old posts regarding this same question: TMNT QUESTION

Wow, also 2007... How time flies :?

The question also came up in a post on House Rules, but I didn't see anything in there that seems to be of help that isn't covered in the post above.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

If you don't mind sourcing from another game line, you can check out the rules in Heroes Unlimited regarding learning new skills. Using that as a starting point, you can then figure a system that will suit your game.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

The first few versions of TMNT&OS have a "teaching" skill...I just used that by requiring players that wanted to learn something new to find someone who was qualified to teach them whatever it was they wanted to learn, set up a timeframe that had to be allocated towards it (night school, one on one, etc.) which might impact the number of experience points they earned versus other players in the group. And when it's time, the teacher makes their presentation roll and voila, or not. And obviously a dollar amount...just be mindful of what it is they want to learn...nuclear physics versus say learning how to cook.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

It does help some though that those games often frontloaded you with lots of skills (especially the recent standalone ATB) so the need for new skills is reduced slightly.. and IMO if it comes up during a campaign that the players need to learn new skills (new language, learn to drive after running into the road hogs, whatever) the Gm can just give you the skill.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”