Rifter 84

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Rifter 84

Unread post by zerombr »

What do you guys think so far?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
pad300
Wanderer

Re: Rifter 84

Unread post by pad300 »

zerombr wrote:What do you guys think so far?

I take it this means you have it. Can you post the table of contents? I am assuming a couple of submissions have not made it, but I want to be sure. ( Assuming they haven't, I am going to to post them in appropriate spots on the boards. )
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

I guess nobody has any strong feelings about it. I guess it being the last issue didn't help. Alas
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what it has in it though!
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

It will be a bit longer before I get to see it. Both Rifter 83 & 84, plus the Bestiary I am planning to pick up once I have my Holiday funds in hand & I can hit The Compleat Strategist in NYC.
Last edited by BookWyrm on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

pad300 wrote:

I take it this means you have it. Can you post the table of contents? I am assuming a couple of submissions have not made it, but I want to be sure. ( Assuming they haven't, I am going to to post them in appropriate spots on the boards. )

To answer my own question, this is up,
https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... er-84.html
and I see nothing with my name on it...
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

pad300 wrote:
pad300 wrote:

To answer my own question, this is up,
https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... er-84.html
and I see nothing with my name on it...

Bummer, what were you hoping made it?
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Sorry I completely forgot to respond. I'm at work generally when I'm on here. :(
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm looking forward to checking it out, and reckon articles like the city of Cascade will be good. I'd love it if someone who has a copy could give a brief description of the Spellbound OCC.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I've got my copy and will post as I get time to read each section.

"The Kingdom of Raf- Chalon" - To be fair to Glen Evans, I've met him at past Open House events, I enjoy our conversations, and I even recall his talking about plans for writing this article (the first one in the book), but I'm not the right guy to review this one. I'm not much of a fantasy gamer, and I've not played Palladium Fantasy to know how well this article works with and into it. But I like the idea behind it. :)

"Golems in the Myst": As a RIFTS player & GM for years, this one was much more in my wheelhouse. I love where Greg D. goes with Myst Industries, and all the aspects of TW Robots, Golems and Minions. Entity-Powered Robots per of particular interest to me. The use of TW spells are interesting and make good use of the TW vibe, and the adventures at the end of the article are a nice touch. the adventure hook for "Time Trip" is one I'd love to run some day.

I started reading the "Spellbound" article for Nightbane, but wasn't able to finish. That being said I was enjoying it and look forward to finishing. Stay tuned!
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

"Spellbound" - While this one was designed for Nightbane (which I'm a fan of), it would work well with other modern based RPG's; Beyond the Supernatural in particular. The Spellbound is in essence an O.C.C. of ordinary people who work with the Seekers and have been infused with magic spells to help them in their various jobs/tasks/teams/missions/etc. I enjoyed this one a lot and found it inspiring enough to consider running a "Seeker" specific adventure one day (something I've not done before).
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Hey, thanks for letting me and us know!
mrloucifer

Curbludgeon wrote:Hey, thanks for letting me and us know!

You're welcome. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

mrloucifer wrote:"Spellbound" - While this one was designed for Nightbane (which I'm a fan of), it would work well with other modern based RPG's; Beyond the Supernatural in particular. The Spellbound is in essence an O.C.C. of ordinary people who work with the Seekers and have been infused with magic spells to help them in their various jobs/tasks/teams/missions/etc. I enjoyed this one a lot and found it inspiring enough to consider running a "Seeker" specific adventure one day (something I've not done before).

Very nice synopsis of the article! I'm very happy you enjoyed and were inspired by this one, as it is mine! I hope you're not the only one! :-D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I just finished reading issue 84 and I am even sadder than I already was that this will be the last issue.

Raf-Chalon : Now I only play PF at the OH and I have never GM'd it. That being said I have read most of the books and this seems to fit right in. I love the history of the Kingdom and the NPCs are really interesting. I especially like the Lost Tribe. The only thing that is missing is a small map showing the basic layout of the kingdom, but that could just be me as I had a hard time visualizing things as I was reading it.

Golems in the Myst: As I primarily GM Rifts I really enjoyed this. I always love to get new TW stuff and its nice to see more Golems. The new and revised spells were also interesting and nothing was too overpowered.

Some of this stuff could even be used in Phase World which is where I use the most TW gear.

Spellbound: This is a great OCC for Nightbane and would probably work for BTS too. I don't run those games so not sure I will ever use it but it is a cool idea.

The Dimma: Really good story and a disgusting monster so what's not to love. I can see this monster in almost any setting, even Rifts, so very useful.

Cascade: This is the one that I was really waiting for and spent the most time reading. I was fascinated when Matt mentioned a few months ago that this was a project started by Eric Wujcik. I spent a little over an hour a few days ago going through old PB catalogues (yes I have PB catalogues going back to 1993) to see if I could find a mention of it anywhere other than the forums and I didn't see one.

This is a great setting for low powered campaign along the lines of the Arrow or the Marvel Netflix shows. I love how vigilantes are criminals and the Arbiters are really interesting addition to the setting. If your someone who likes Matt's revised heroes from the Rifters this is a great setting for them as well.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

many thanks Warshield. You can google Cascade on here to find some bare mentions of Erick's work, I've lifted as much of it as I can to put in the article proper.

The Arbiters are a great group, I just didn't think I had the room to write em all down. Ugh, I'll have to tell the cattle car incident if I go into them too much more :D
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

zerombr wrote:many thanks Warshield. You can google Cascade on here to find some bare mentions of Erick's work, I've lifted as much of it as I can to put in the article proper.

I found the forum post and actually I found references to the book in a few Rifters, around issue 16. Oddly enough it is listed in the same list as a book called Void Runners which was another promised book that I had completely forgotten about.

Side Point: At some point I may actually try to compile a list of books that have been mentioned that were never published and are not currently in development. I think that could be interesting.

Still great work in resurrecting this, hope we get more somehow.

zerombr wrote:The Arbiters are a great group, I just didn't think I had the room to write em all down. Ugh, I'll have to tell the cattle car incident if I go into them too much more :D

Well, with the Rifter gone maybe you can pull it all together as a small sourcebook. You could even add in your revised character classes. I'd buy it and with Eric's name on it I bet Kevin would publish it.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

if you want a list of books never published, there's an...inflammatory facebook group that has a list. I'm sure if you google the right keywords you'll find it but I won't go any further on it.

As for my own sourcebook? well that'd be a dream, and I've considered upping the Stage Mage a bit to be more like the others power level. I'm just not sure what I can really fill out more for Cascade, its hard to fill a full book! :D
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:if you want a list of books never published, there's an...inflammatory facebook group that has a list. I'm sure if you google the right keywords you'll find it but I won't go any further on it.

As for my own sourcebook? well that'd be a dream, and I've considered upping the Stage Mage a bit to be more like the others power level. I'm just not sure what I can really fill out more for Cascade, its hard to fill a full book! :D

I've tried 4 or 5 times to create a Sourcebook for Rifts and Phase World and I've failed every time. Heck I never got around to submitting anything to the Rifter so you're way ahead of me.

One thing I found that I don't understand is that in Heroes Unlimited Revised Second Edition, 1998, Cascade is listed as a trademark. It is also listed in a few other books as a trademark so did EW have this idea going that far back or was that for something else?
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

It's old enough that road hogs was still thought about, so yeah I bet it predated century station by a number of years
BookWyrm
Champion

BookWyrm wrote:It will be a bit longer before I get to see it. Both Rifter 83 & 84, plus the Bestiary I am planning to pick up once I have my Holiday funds in hand & I can hit The Compleat Strategist in NYC.

Well, that's a bust. The Strat won't be open this Sunday or the next, the only 2 times this month I'll be in Manhattan. Good news is the Christmas Surprise Package is still on & I'll order the books via that. Comes just under the minimum. Bad news is there's nothing extra I want (I have the dog-tags & the Gamer shirt).

UPDATE: My Grab-Bag order is placed! Added the Glitter Boy Mouse Pad along with the books. Just gotta be patient until the package arrives.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
BookWyrm
Champion

Update 2: Got my order today. :D I'm thinking of putting the 'additional' items from this one & last year's order up for trade.

Quick note, both #83 & #84 are looking good, will deep dive them soon. I also just updated the Rifter Issue Index to completion.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

BtS get a New Adventure and a New Monster.

I hoping Rifter 85 will give New Psychic powers and New Magic weapons and Items for BtS.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

gaby wrote:BtS get a New Adventure and a New Monster.

I hoping Rifter 85 will give New Psychic powers and New Magic weapons and Items for BtS.

There will not be a Rifter 85 Gaby,

They announced late 2018 84 is the last one indefinitely.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

gaby wrote:BtS get a New Adventure and a New Monster.

Actually 3 new monsters
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Copied from the BTS forum

Hendrik wrote:I might be a bit biased because I played this adventure at the last Palladium Open House. Thus, I also had the extra good fortune to see the writer himself excel, again, at GMing. I love „All Quiet on the Western... What?“.

Consequently, I was chomping at the bits to see it written out. Now, I do not want to take anything away from any of you guys reading at playing it, so I will try to keep this little review free from spoilers.

It is a super exciting and very eerie adventure. You will find ample horror on top of the horrors of trench warfare!!! It has helpful and on point yet simple rules (no man‘s land, shell shock, citizen soldier), and, man, does it pace the party, in the best way. It also conveys a sense of (military) accomplishment by going through 3 missions, which incidentally makes it ideal for either 1 long gameday or to break it up into ideally 3 sessions. With 1917 just out and interest in WW1 still high, this adventure should tickle any player and GM just right.

Let me add that anyone who causes damage of 120 or more points (*singing* hand grenade *singing*) will be heartily welcome into the 120-club, we founded when gaming this excellent adventure.

Spoiler:
That said, one little spoiler, I am a fan of the trench rats and the Life Force Drinkers!

Kyle gives a GM absolutely everything he needs to have a hell of a good time!

Well done!!!!

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”