Triax Robot Horses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

OregonRift
D-Bee

Triax Robot Horses

Unread post by OregonRift »

"robot horse (Triax offers several designs)" from Rifts England in the Knight O.C.C. equipment section
Yet I'm unable to find any Triax robotic horses in Triax and NGR, or really any beyond the few Bandito Arms versions in the New West.
If there aren't any others maybe suggestions on how to craft (my first thought is to use the robot builder in Sourcebook One Revised.)
My players are interested in purchasing and I'm a little lost. :?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Triax Robot Horses

Unread post by Mack »

I'd just use the Bandito Arms ones and call it good.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
OregonRift
D-Bee

Definitely an option. Thanks @Mack
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Yeah, the England book is *frustratingly* short on equipment.....
...got a Knight? A Herbalist? What kind of gear do they use, where does it come from and who makes it.......nobody knows.

As Mack suggested, I'd just go with the Bandito Arms version of robot horses. They're well stat-ed out and come with a pre-set price tag, which makes your job as GM a little easier.

Maybe as Triax gear tho, I'd give them a little (10 to 20% maybe) increase in MDC, speed, etc........since Triax gear is likely superior to what Bandito manufactures.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:Maybe as Triax gear tho, I'd give them a little (10 to 20% maybe) increase in MDC, speed, etc........since Triax gear is likely superior to what Bandito manufactures.

I was thinking the same. Just a little across the board boost.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

There are also some high-end robotic steeds in the Black Market book you could maybe crib from for Triax equivalents, including unicorn, Pegasus and "monster-Pegasus" models.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
OregonRift
D-Bee

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions @Mack @H.P. Hovercraft and @Soldier of Od
I'm probably gonna just modify the bandito arms as suggested for time, but I'm gonna also have to check out the unicorn and pegasus.
Super helpful, thanks.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

Also Russia has info about bionic horses which can also be used for robot horses.

tsh77769
OregonRift
D-Bee

tsh77769 wrote:Also Russia has info about bionic horses which can also be used for robot horses.

tsh77769

Thanks! Yeah I also discovered bionic conversions on page 113 in World Book 2 England. Partial and full bionic conversions. Not a lot of info in England, I'll check out Russia. Thanks.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

I wonder if giving horses bionics is considered "Cruelty to Animals?"
Or...
Would a horse actually relish it's new abilities?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

You could also use the Robot creation rules in SB1/r to create a Robot body, and just not install one of the high-tech intelligences.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:I wonder if giving horses bionics is considered "Cruelty to Animals?"
Or...

There's a throwaway line somewhere (not sure where at this point) about how a lot of people in the New West love Bionic horses because they behave like a "real animal" (bvecause they are) including retaining their sensitivity to the supernatural, and bonding with their rider, and tend to prefer them over full robot models.

You get the best of both worlds - your Horse wont get misted (as even a partial conversion horse can wear armor) and it still behaves like a real animal.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:I wonder if giving horses bionics is considered "Cruelty to Animals?"
Or...

It actually addresses that in one of the NGR or Russan books about bionic horses noting taht the NGR has outlawed bionic horses on humane grounds.

also the Russian boosk do note that the bionic horse retains some sensitivity to the supernatural although diminished.

tsh77769
OregonRift
D-Bee

tsh77769 wrote:
Or...

It actually addresses that in one of the NGR or Russan books about bionic horses noting taht the NGR has outlawed bionic horses on humane grounds.

also the Russian boosk do note that the bionic horse retains some sensitivity to the supernatural although diminished.

tsh77769

That's super interesting, gotta have a look at that.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Or...

Thinking about it... The horse might have a hard time adjusting to not being able to really feel its legs or other cyber-parts. They might even be more likely to run themselves to death.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Fenris2020 wrote:
Or...

Thinking about it... The horse might have a hard time adjusting to not being able to really feel its legs or other cyber-parts. They might even be more likely to run themselves to death.

The info presented in New West doesn't seem to support this.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Mack wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:Maybe as Triax gear tho, I'd give them a little (10 to 20% maybe) increase in MDC, speed, etc........since Triax gear is likely superior to what Bandito manufactures.

I was thinking the same. Just a little across the board boost.

eh.. since it would likely be part of Triax's "wilderness line" of products, which are generally less advanced than those with the triax branding, i'd just use them as is. at most, maybe allow a selection of the civilian vehicles features from Triax2 be applied to them. (whatever seems reasonable for a robot horse)

tsh77769 wrote:
Or...

It actually addresses that in one of the NGR or Russan books about bionic horses noting that the NGR has outlawed bionic horses on humane grounds.

I think the issue is less whatever the bionics give the horse, and more the fact that to implant them you have to chop the horse's legs off, as well as large parts of its pelvis and ribcage. given that horses cannot understand what is going to happen to them and can't consent to the operation, i can see the NGR having ethical issues with the process.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The irony being that some of the side technologies to bionics----'smart' casts, nano surgery techniques, biosystem muscle and bone replacement, and the like---- make 'shoot'em' equine injury treatment a thing of the past.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yeah.. but i suspect that triax would specifically have issues with the taking of a perfectly good horse and chopping it up like a hotrod to add military grade bionics. the use of biosystems to heal an injured horse is a lot less ethically fraught.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Or...

I'm speaking as someone who knows a bit about horses, which I don't think the book's author does.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Fenris2020 wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Or...

I'm speaking as someone who knows a bit about horses, which I don't think the book's author does.

What an excellent appeal to authority fallacy.

I'll raise you:

I rode show from age 8-15. I was around horses all of my young life. My mother still rides and trains horses. She leads trail rides in Arizona.

I disagree. Animals adapt very well to prosthetics. Far better than humans, even - because they just adapt to how it is now. Just like they adapt far better than humans to bad injuries like an amputation or partial paralyzation.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Or...

What an excellent appeal to authority fallacy.

I'll raise you:

I rode show from age 8-15. I was around horses all of my young life. My mother still rides and trains horses. She leads trail rides in Arizona.

I disagree. Animals adapt very well to prosthetics. Far better than humans, even - because they just adapt to how it is now. Just like they adapt far better than humans to bad injuries like an amputation or partial paralyzation.

I'll raise you as well.
My family is ranchers, and I've been around animals of various sorts all my life. I've seen what happens when a horse loses feeling in one or more legs. Since biotics have at best 80% sensitivity, you'd be dealing with a horse that's either afraid to walk/ run/ et cetera, or a horse that goes nuts. I've never seen a horse with a prosthetic, however, so I'm hardly an expert on equine cybernetics.
Just going off what I've seen from three horses and one mule which lost enough sensitivity in their legs to have problems, even if temporarily (a horse whose back left leg went to sleep) to permanently (a horse with a rattle-snake bite, mostly recovered but...).

Return to “Rifts®”