Pit cloak...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Pit cloak...

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Does/can a pit cloak make an actual hole or is it a dimensional pocket/portable pit type of thing?

Yeah, because if it is the first, this campaign maybe buggered.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Pit cloak...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It is physically impossible to pick up the cloak and turn it back to carry unless everything that has fallen inside is first removed. That leads me to beleive it is an actual hole and not a dimensional pocket, because there is no "other" space that things go into, the hole is real and will remain until completely empty.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me now?
Last edited by ShadowHawk on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I had always read it as a pocket dimension for the simple reason that everything had to be out before you could move the cloak, so no leaving anything buried, and that when the cloak is moved there is no hole remaining.

Now for what you are talking about with starships and such you want mystic portal.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me know?

Well it would have been good to know that was your concern on the first post ;)

But the text itself gives the answer. It turns into a pit when thrown on the ground defined as dirt, sand, clay, rock and will not open a pit over air, roof, wood, a wall, ect. So the text itself says you cannot possibly use it on a ship and further shows it IS a real pit, but specifically can not be used on a ship. it can ONLY be used on the ground or a stone/clay floor of a building and no other surface whatever. It also prevents you from using it to go down a level in a multi-floor structure as that would be opening over air.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me know?

But the text itself gives the answer. It turns into a pit when thrown on the ground defined as dirt, sand, clay, rock and will not open a pit over air, roof, wood, a wall, ect. So the text itself says you cannot possibly use it on a ship and further shows it IS a real pit, but specifically can not be used on a ship. it can ONLY be used on the ground or a stone/clay floor of a building and no other surface whatever. It also prevents you from using it to go down a level in a multi-floor structure as that would be opening over air.

I have been trying to find this in the books for a few minutes now. Does the cloak create a pit that is then there for good or does the pit disappear when the cloak is moved?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'd go with dimensional pocket.
It seems to be a Palladium version of a Portable Hole.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Warshield73 wrote:I had always read it as a pocket dimension for the simple reason that everything had to be out before you could move the cloak, so no leaving anything buried, and that when the cloak is moved there is no hole remaining.

Now for what you are talking about with starships and such you want mystic portal.

No, no, no...not a starship. And believe me I do not want this to happen, at all. I am the GM. The players have just looted a pirates ship, and the cutter that they have it overloaded, and they needed a place to put the stuff. So, not naming names...put one in the cargo hold to put some of it in to balance the weight and so they can load more onto the ship.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

She also brought onboard sand before she did this.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Warshield73 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I have been trying to find this in the books for a few minutes now. Does the cloak create a pit that is then there for good or does the pit disappear when the cloak is moved?

The cloak cannot be physically moved until the pit is empty, then the pit disappears.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:I had always read it as a pocket dimension for the simple reason that everything had to be out before you could move the cloak, so no leaving anything buried, and that when the cloak is moved there is no hole remaining.

No, no, no...not a starship. And believe me I do not want this to happen, at all. I am the GM. The players have just looted a pirates ship, and the cutter that they have it overloaded, and they needed a place to put the stuff. So, not naming names...put one in the cargo hold to put some of it in to balance the weight and so they can load more onto the ship.

As I said, what she did can't actually be done because you can't use the Cloak on a Wood or Metal surface, period, there is no circumstance that would allow the players to use their cloak while at sea. It doesn't matter if it's dimensional or not because it simply won't work. you throw down the cloak and no pit forms.

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

As I said, what she did can't actually be done because you can't use the Cloak on a Wood or Metal surface, period, there is no circumstance that would allow the players to use their cloak while at sea. It doesn't matter if it's dimensional or not because it simply won't work. you throw down the cloak and no pit forms.

I repeat, "She also brought onboard sand before she did this."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

I don't see how that would help? the text states: "It must be thrown vertically on the ground". Sand dumped atop of wood in a boat is not the "the ground"

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Bizantium uses stone ships. ;)
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Nekira Sudacne, in case you failed to notice...Shawn (ShadowHawk) tends to go by the rule of cool. And gives leniency to his players when we come up with a halfway interesting way of working around but still stay "within" the rules.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pblackcrow wrote:Nekira Sudacne, in case you failed to notice...Shawn (ShadowHawk) tends to go by the rule of cool. And gives leniency to his players when we come up with a halfway interesting way of working around but still stay "within" the rules.

NK's answer is the correct canon one. The pit cloke/blanket can only be used on some sort of horizontal stone or regilith type surface.
Is it a extra-D space? *shrugs*
Does the pit stay when de-activated? It is implied in the text that the pit goes away with the magic being deactivated.

However, if a GM wishs it, they can let players use it in interesting ways.
If I was the GM, I might let a player use one in a non-canon way if I thought it was cool or would move the plot forward, past a plot choke-point.

Use on stone ships? maybe. Would it put a scuttling hole in the ship. I would rule it would not.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

I don't see how that would help? the text states: "It must be thrown vertically on the ground". Sand dumped atop of wood in a boat is not the "the ground"

Hm.
Except that the item's description defines "ground" as "earth, dirt, sand, clay, rock, etc.
While I'd say that a handful of sand wouldn't count, if there was ENOUGH sand, then it should.

At the same time, the description (PFRPG2 p. 258) states:
It will not open a hole or pit in mid-air, wood or any living thing, nor if placed vertically on a wall.

This part--especially the "will not open a hole/pit in mid-air"--indicates to me that whatever "ground" the pit is opened on MUST be at least 20' deep, enough to actually contain the Pit itself.

For example...
Say you were standing on land, outside, and you tried to use a Pit Cloak on the soil beneath your feet when there was a natural cave beneath you.
If the cave was >20' below you, there is no reason you couldn't open the pit there.
If the cave was <20', though, then it becomes important that the pit has a set depth of 20', because any part of the pit that would break through into the cave itself would be technically "in mid-air," which is against the rules for the item.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”