Long-range artillery rockets?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Long-Range Artillery Rockets are:

Just a name for LRMs
54%
Something that didn't see print.
23%
Monster artillery rounds.
8%
Other (please explain)
No votes
Obligatory taco option.
15%

Total votes: 13

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Long-range artillery rockets?

Unread post by eliakon »

SO the SDR-04-Mk.XII
Phalanx (page 22 of the Macross Saga)
can fire LRMs or "long-range artillery rockets". These are supposed to let 'bombard a target with tons of ordinance at ranges approaching 100 miles.
Okay... but LRMs have ranges of 500miles :?

However the WHR-00-MK.II Monster has a 40cm Artillery Cannon
This shoots artillery shells, 100 miles and the HEAT shell does damage similar to that of a HE LRM. This makes me wonder if the LRARs are supposed to basically replicate the shells of the Monster?
This would give it 'artillery' that has a range of 100 miles that is worth while to trade the loss of guidance and range for.

Thoughts? Comments? artillery rockets that I missed someplace?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Long-range artillery rockets?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

eliakon wrote:SO the SDR-04-Mk.XII
can fire LRMs or "long-range artillery rockets". These are supposed to let 'bombard a target with tons of ordinance at ranges approaching 100 miles.

This appears to be a discrepency between the flavor text and the actual game stats for the mecha, since the RPG's stats block for the launchers on page 40 (manga ed.) says "usually around 500 miles" for either option and the RPG itself makes no differentiation between missiles and rockets for stats.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

LRMs may have ranges in the 100s of miles, but what type of trajectory (or flight path) is assumed? A surface to air trajectory is going to be more linear, where a surface to surface trajectory is more of an arc. The arc trajectory then can have an LRM travel 100s of miles in its flight path (section of the circumference of a circle/ellipse, in this case 1/2), but the actual distance between targets will be much less.

Ex. if two participants are 100miles apart, and the missile follows a highly elliptical path with a high point 250miles up, the distance the missile covers will be ~500miles even though they are only 100miles apart. (A circular path would have a high point 50miles up and travel ~107miles). This assumes basic geometry math formula for calculating the perimeter of an ellipse, not actual ballistic equations.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
eliakon wrote:SO the SDR-04-Mk.XII

This appears to be a discrepency between the flavor text and the actual game stats for the mecha, since the RPG's stats block for the launchers on page 40 (manga ed.) says "usually around 500 miles" for either option and the RPG itself makes no differentiation between missiles and rockets for stats.

I basically agree with this but I did end up creating a LRM that is basically an artillery rocket with a 100 mile range, similar damage to standard missile, and greater blast radius but much cheaper than actual LRM. I have no basis in the books for this but I wanted to limit the effectiveness of things like the Phalanx or the Mark IX missile launcher in Rifts. I also felt that any military that fields something like the Phalanx would have to have a simple, cheap missile to supplement the more expensive guided and smart missiles.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Warshield73 wrote:I basically agree with this but I did end up creating a LRM that is basically an artillery rocket with a 100 mile range, similar damage to standard missile, and greater blast radius but much cheaper than actual LRM. I have no basis in the books for this but I wanted to limit the effectiveness of things like the Phalanx or the Mark IX missile launcher in Rifts. I also felt that any military that fields something like the Phalanx would have to have a simple, cheap missile to supplement the more expensive guided and smart missiles.

Being something of a stickler for OSM accuracy, I solved the dual problems of the undefined rocket and disproportionately high effectiveness by restoring the original spec... so it has SRMs instead of LRMs, given that it was meant to be a close-range anti-aircraft defense unit.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

For those who are sticklers for wording... Artilery Rockets (not "shells") are limited to ground to ground attacks. And would tend to be less smart but will hit an immobile target area and (like the heavy hitters from that other setting) have a heavyer warhead. (or just the same LRM but without any bonus to strike because they are balistic weapons without any smart guidance systems.

I think they were not published because they do not fit into the individual play style the PM game system uses.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

File this one with how many licks to get to the center of the tootsie pop - the world may never know.

Also, I want to point out that we have begun to see precision guidance kits applied to ground and air launched rockets to improve their accuracy. Kits for rockets as small as 70mm and 57mm have been developed. Does thsi then make them missiles? not sure. Adding similar kits to bombs made them precision weapons, but not missiles.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Jefffar wrote:File this one with how many licks to get to the center of the tootsie pop - the world may never know

Purdue University did a study: Average was 364 licks.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Peacebringer wrote:
Jefffar wrote:File this one with how many licks to get to the center of the tootsie pop - the world may never know

Purdue University did a study: Average was 364 licks.

Yes, we may never know...
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”