What Number of level 1 spells needed to get to level 2?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What Number of level 1 spells needed to get to level 2?

Unread post by gaby »

What Number of level 1 spells my level 1 Magic OCC needed to get to level 2?

The level 1 spells,I pass over,Can be put in talimans.
dreicunan
Hero

Re: What Number of level 1 spells needed to get to level 2?

Unread post by dreicunan »

gaby wrote:What Number of level 1 spells my level 1 Magic OCC needed to get to level 2?

I'm not sure what yoi are asking about. Acquiring spells has nothing to do with leveling up, and most OCCs start at level 1 with at least a few lvl 2 spells anyways.

Which specific OCC are you asking about?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gaby wrote:What Number of level 1 spells my level 1 Magic OCC needed to get to level 2?

you don't need any particular number of level 1 spells to access level 2 spells at all, where did you get the idea you did?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

the Wizard OCC Palladium Fantasy,Do I need all level 1 spells to get to level 2?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

No. You don't particularly need any lower level spells to learn high level ones. Nothing stops a first level character from learning level 15 spells but the difficulty of finding someone willing to train such an amateur and the lack of money to pay the tens of thousands of gold required.

Or if you mean, do you need to learn all level 1 spells before you can advance to level 2, the answer is 0, you don't need any spells of one level to advance to the next experiance level or learn higher level spells. Technically a wizard doesn't need to learn any spells to advance in levels, nor do they actually earn experiance for studying spells, which is probablly an oversight.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

thanks Nekira,I thought I needed a spicific number to advance to level 2,But now I known do Not.
It,s Ok to Pass over some level 1 spells and get them in talismens instead.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gaby wrote:thanks Nekira,I thought I needed a spicific number to advance to level 2,But now I known do Not.
It,s Ok to Pass over some level 1 spells and get them in talismens instead.

You don't even need them in Talismens. You don't need them at all. you can get to level 2 without ever getting a single level 1 spell in any way, shape, or form as well as not needing them in any form of storage.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:nor do they actually earn experiance for studying spells, which is probablly an oversight.

It would seem reasonable when rolling their % to convert a scroll to consider that a skill roll for XP purposes. Maybe also the % for doing Magic Cauldron.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:nor do they actually earn experiance for studying spells, which is probablly an oversight.

It would seem reasonable when rolling their % to convert a scroll to consider that a skill roll for XP purposes. Maybe also the % for doing Magic Cauldron.

Sure. but both of those are explictly alternatives to just sitting down and studying magic spells with a teacher, not XP for actually studying with a teacher.

Axelmania
Knight

Maybe have them make "Principles of Magic" and "Lore: Magic" skill checks throughout that process? I never really liked the fixed "x days you automatically learn" thing. Would be cooler if "you need X passes" or "you need a cumulative skill roll passing margin of X"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

My primary complaint is the time is standard regardless of the mage. It takes the same amount of time for a level 15, 30 IQ genious wizard to learn a high level spell as a level 1, minimum-having IQ 10 wizard to learn that exact same spell. both will learn the same spell in the same amount of time.

Axelmania
Knight

Yeah, basing it somehow on skill rolls would fix that. TTGD has %s for creating entirely new spells vs self-discovery of new ones. I think it would make sense to use the latter except if you're getting help from someone who already knows it, just give a basic bonus to that, perhaps somehow linked to their own skill in this.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”