WW2 Era HU Game Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

WW2 Era HU Game Question

Unread post by RockJock »

Ok guys, I've run a game campaign in WW2 years ago and loved it, and am considering doing it again. Any thoughts, tip, ideas from anyone who has done this before? I'm aware of the Heroes through the Ages in one of the early Rifters, and did something similar last time, with a very pulp feel.

I am considering something more like the first Captain America movie. High tech groups with weapons that mimic today's equipment(M4/M203, Barrett 50s, tactical body armor etc) could show up, as could individual Hardware types with that sort of kit available. Psychics, Hardware, Physical Training, and Special Training with minor changes will be the bread and butter, but I can make just about any class work with a little tweaking.

Anything that jumps out?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: WW2 Era HU Game Question

Unread post by Father Goose »

I would capitalize on "fringe science" being conducted by secret agencies within world governments. It's a pulp 40s staple and works well with Heroes Unlimited material. Super Soldiers, Harware, and Special Training are your go to categories.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

hah we were going to have a game in this time frame once! :D Never really got off the ground though
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

I’ve said before that it could be interesting to play a Mechano-Link character in that setting: he might not even realize he’s got a super power, he’d maybe just think of himself as a crack shot with solid vehicular skills because, hey, he’s never yet seen one of those huge computers that are rumored to fill up a great big room...
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Regularguy wrote:I’ve said before that it could be interesting to play a Mechano-Link character in that setting: he might not even realize he’s got a super power, he’d maybe just think of himself as a crack shot with solid vehicular skills because, hey, he’s never yet seen one of those huge computers that are rumored to fill up a great big room...

My brother made a character with a similar idea. He was an average Joe who just happened to be Immortal. He didn't want to know that at the start though.
That could be fun here. An undying soldier with no other powers.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Regularguy
Adventurer

Father Goose wrote:
Regularguy wrote:I’ve said before that it could be interesting to play a Mechano-Link character in that setting: he might not even realize he’s got a super power, he’d maybe just think of himself as a crack shot with solid vehicular skills because, hey, he’s never yet seen one of those huge computers that are rumored to fill up a great big room...

My brother made a character with a similar idea. He was an average Joe who just happened to be Immortal. He didn't want to know that at the start though.

Another one I’ve pondered in the same context: a guy who has Mimic, but hasn’t met other supers. So maybe he’s a great soldier — especially if he’s serving alongside great soldiers — but if he’s never been near folks who can break Olympic records, he’s only ever been, what, a fit guy who knows how to throw a punch? He’s maybe the most powerful super on the planet, except it hasn’t really come up yet?
Father Goose
Adventurer

Regularguy wrote:
Father Goose wrote:

Another one I’ve pondered in the same context: a guy who has Mimic, but hasn’t met other supers. So maybe he’s a great soldier — especially if he’s serving alongside great soldiers — but if he’s never been near folks who can break Olympic records, he’s only ever been, what, a fit guy who knows how to throw a punch? He’s maybe the most powerful super on the planet, except it hasn’t really come up yet?

There are several that fit this theme, provided they are "one power only" characters. It could make for a really great game, especially when combined with the idea of fringe science being a factor. What if some scientists in a eugenics project discovered an "X Gene" and started experimenting to uncover its secrets? Mutants are single power people and not overly powerful yet, but the potential...
Consider that one of the origins listed for Super Soldier in PU2 is Mutant. What if the PCs started as single power mutants who were impressive compared to normal people, but lacked any flashy powers. They then get recruited into the program and experimented on to try to isolate and enhance their powers...
There is a story here...
RockJock
Knight

I love the conversation. A single power character taken from an interesting angle should be fun.
Father Goose
Adventurer

RockJock wrote:I love the conversation. A single power character taken from an interesting angle should be fun.

It's all about setting. Dress the setting properly and minor heroes can be the most memorable. I'm definitely inspired by this conversation and I'm looking forward to a post detailing what you settle on.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Also consider smaller budget Eugenic characters ala Doc Savage.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
RockJock
Knight

It will be awhile before we start, if we ever do. I'm working on sort of the world setting portion incase it actually gets rolling. We tend to have 50 ideas for games/campaigns and time for 1.
Regularguy
Adventurer

As long as we’re going back over low-key one-power stuff, I’ll ask: what if, in the real world, you truly believe you’re a great dealmaker?

So (a) someone who can — up against a “maybe” — supply a good enough counteroffer to get a guy from “maybe” to “yes”; but (b) you don’t think you can turn a flat “no” into a “yes”, because, hey, it’s all about what he gives you to work with, right? If he says “no”, he must have a reason; and so there’s no point in just insisting he do the reverse, that’d just be silly. No, you sensibly give him a reason when you try your hardest to make an offer he might accept; that’s how you get him to accept!

Okay, so imagine that mindset, plus Control Others.
Father Goose
Adventurer

Regularguy wrote:As long as we’re going back over low-key one-power stuff, I’ll ask: what if, in the real world, you truly believe you’re a great dealmaker?

So (a) someone who can — up against a “maybe” — supply a good enough counteroffer to get a guy from “maybe” to “yes”; but (b) you don’t think you can turn a flat “no” into a “yes”, because, hey, it’s all about what he gives you to work with, right? If he says “no”, he must have a reason; and so there’s no point in just insisting he do the reverse, that’d just be silly. No, you sensibly give him a reason when you try your hardest to make an offer he might accept; that’s how you get him to accept!

Okay, so imagine that mindset, plus Control Others.

I see where you're going with this. The character has the potential to be exceptionally powerful, but has inborn limitations in his own mind that act as a limiter for the power. At least, until a charismatic villain starts making suggestions...
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

What you need is Project M and Creature Commandos fighting a war that time forgot
CES
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Father Goose wrote:I see where you're going with this. The character has the potential to be exceptionally powerful, but has inborn limitations in his own mind that act as a limiter for the power. At least, until a charismatic villain starts making suggestions...

this happened to a character of mine, against my wishes >.>

I got captured by a villain and became a nemesis to the team. Unfortunately, the group was sort of on the outs, so that never got to play out.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Pencroff357
D-Bee

Unread post by Pencroff357 »

If you want to make it cool, Nazi superscience.
If you want to make it cooler, non-fictional superscience from other countries: Soviet drone tanks, British supercarriers out of ice mulch, American guided missiles... It would make great accessories and settings while stepping outside of what's already been covered through and through.
RockJock
Knight

I have a recurring character who basically doesn't think he has any powers, but really is a fairly high end mutant equivalent to a Natural Genius.

Basically he has slightly different versions of some of these powers that weaken them, or change to the flavor. For example his Weapons Melding doesn't have tendrils or anything, but also doesn't power/load the weapons. A mutant with Mechano Link, Immortality(doesn't know it), Weapons Melding, Extraordinary IQ, Book Worm, Linguistics, and Living Anatomy who comes across as a just askill monkey who is good at most things, but is really a mutant.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Nazi era tech is so crazy. Look up some of their actual projects to throw in there (like the expedition to Antarctica for occult reasons or that time travel bell project)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”