Unstable powers option for mutants

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cbrekkas
D-Bee

Unstable powers option for mutants

Unread post by cbrekkas »

I was wondering when a mutant gains a APS form when he's at only 20 hp (41 -60 Trauma induced change) does he get the stated SDC for that form? Some APS have a static SDC base where other APS like fire only provides a bonus to SDC. If he only gets the APS when he loses all SDC and is at 20 hp would he get a portion of his SDC back plus the bonus SDC or only the bonus SDC since he lost all of his SDC before changing? If he only gains the bonus SDC from for example APS: Fire which is only 50 SDC he could quickly lose that compared to other APS like metal (800 SDC). I was thinking that he would get all or a portion of his SDC plus the form bonus for the duration of the time limit (Duration is 1 D6 minutes or the duration that the mutant's life is in danger, or the period the mutant remains angry or afraid (in the latter case, this is not likely to be more than 3D4 minutes) but would still have 20 hp. It would be like a second wind like ability.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: Unstable powers option for mutants

Unread post by Father Goose »

APS powers only grant the bonuses listed. They are not a way to heal.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
cbrekkas
D-Bee

So basically APS forms with a set SDC base would be the preferred choices when using the unstable power option activating only when close to death; otherwise, the mutant would have little SDC pool.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

You would have whatever is listed for the individual power, you just wouldn't heal your normal HP/SDC by activating the power. That said, your GM can permit anything they want.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
cbrekkas
D-Bee

Unfortunately with that unstable power option the mutant only has powers for 1d6 minutes or when the condition changes. So that limits what APS forms you can choose in a way and still be of use since the mutant's hp/sdc won't be able to heal up within that 1d6 minute time limit, etc.
Father Goose
Adventurer

So rather than treating it as a second wind, treat it as a 'Get out of Dodge' opportunity. It's your last ditch effort to avoid being killed, your 'escape clause' (especially helpful if flight is part of the power), or something else in that vein.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Father Goose wrote:So rather than treating it as a second wind, treat it as a 'Get out of Dodge' opportunity. It's your last ditch effort to avoid being killed, your 'escape clause' (especially helpful if flight is part of the power), or something else in that vein.
Agreed. You want something that will keep you from getting killed, not something to let you go out in a blaze of glory. APS Light would allow you the quickest exit, while APS Stone or Metal would give you the best armor to keep you from taking too much more damage.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Father Goose
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Father Goose wrote:So rather than treating it as a second wind, treat it as a 'Get out of Dodge' opportunity. It's your last ditch effort to avoid being killed, your 'escape clause' (especially helpful if flight is part of the power), or something else in that vein.
Agreed. You want something that will keep you from getting killed, not something to let you go out in a blaze of glory. APS Light would allow you the quickest exit, while APS Stone or Metal would give you the best armor to keep you from taking too much more damage.

Exactly. It's a reprieve that keeps you from dying, not a reset button. If you keep that in mind it's actually a really solid character choice.
Definitely fits KS's stated goal of Heroes Unlimited being a "thinking man's game."
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Yeah. A 15th level APS light character can outrun a cosmoknight if he's in-atmosphere.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”