Animate Object [pu3]

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Animate Object [pu3]

Unread post by Incriptus »

So I was day dreaming about a character with Animate Objects.

While thinking about it i'm imagining two different types of animation/movement

1: Form-Function - this is the most obvious based on the examples. A table has legs so the legs move, a rope acts like a snake, A cart has wheels so it rolls. This works for most medium/large objects.

2: Invisible Hand - For example when I say an animated sword or gun, I imagine it floating in the air, as if it were controlled by an invisible hand. However the power itself doesn't really give it's examples in this way.

So I guess the main question is, do you think the "Invisible Hand" version appropriate, especially if limited to small/hand-held items.

I don't think it's appropriate to have an animated table float in the air, but I also don't think an animated knife should be limited to rolling across the ground and cutting ankles [or perhaps hopping]
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: Animate Object [pu3]

Unread post by Father Goose »

You could give the power a PS rating. Then it can "lift" anything that would be liftable with that PS, "throw" anything that could be thrown with that PS, etc.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I picture this more like old-style cartoons, where the item actually moves on its own accord, crawling or such. I actually wanted to play a younger kid with this ability, who could just ask cameras to shut off, and vault doors to open, and the animated object would grow large googly eyes and talk and stuff :D
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

zerombr wrote:I picture this more like old-style cartoons, where the item actually moves on its own accord, crawling or such. I actually wanted to play a younger kid with this ability, who could just ask cameras to shut off, and vault doors to open, and the animated object would grow large googly eyes and talk and stuff :D

Sure, but if the OP wants to use the Invisible Hand option, assigning a PS value would allow some control and limitations to come into play.
Personally, I have always gone with your option (minus the eyes, though that's about to change :D), but the alternate interpretation is worth considering. It could be pretty cool.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

'Mr Camera?"

The security camera suddenly yawns and grows eyes. "Hello there Cindy!"

"Hello! We need to get through, can you close your eyes for a minute?"

"Okay, but only for a minute! I"ve got a job to do, hyuk hyuk!"
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Father Goose
Adventurer

zerombr wrote:'Mr Camera?"

The security camera suddenly yawns and grows eyes. "Hello there Cindy!"

"Hello! We need to get through, can you close your eyes for a minute?"

"Okay, but only for a minute! I"ve got a job to do, hyuk hyuk!"

Okay, I'm sold. Could never use it in a serious game, but I'm definitely working that in somewhere.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

We originally had a one shot game idea for one character having to deal with his niece and nephew and their dog. All impervious to his powers. Lol. Never got around to that unfortunately
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I was also day dreaming of Advanced Options, In exchange for 1 skill program or Minor power

Increased duration beyond concentration
Artificial Intelligence [Animal-Like pet, Cartoon like, Simple Robot Like]
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Incriptus wrote:I was also day dreaming of Advanced Options, In exchange for 1 skill program or Minor power

Increased duration beyond concentration
Artificial Intelligence [Animal-Like pet, Cartoon like, Simple Robot Like]

oh I've long wanted to simplify powersets and let players chose more basic abilities and enhance a few of them.

Let me see if I can find my example...

Here's one!

Fire Powers -
innate ability
-can start small fires as spontaneous combustion
-stunt with ability for bonuses. Starting at 50%

standard
-+30% to stunting
-expel a bolt of fire for 3D6 damage.
-project a ring of fire like EE: Fire Ring
-channel a power blast of fire that deals 5D6 damage., costs two attacks.
-shoot a wide cone of fire that affects all foes and allies within fifteen feet, dealing 3D6 damage -You are immune to fire damage. ADV powers
-Your bolt of fire deals an extra +2D6 damage
-absorb fire in the immediate area
advanced
-your bolt or power blast deals extra damage, +2/lvl
-You may create constructs out of fire, as per create force constructs. The pool of points you have to work with is 5 times your P.E. Giant fire constructs deal an extra +2D6 damage, and may hit multiple foes.
-your fire upgrades into plasma, which has the armor-piercing property. (-2 to A.R. of those hit)
-super energy blast
-halve penalties for stunting
-turn into fire

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”