Is supernatural ps granted from super power considered magic

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cbrekkas
D-Bee

Is supernatural ps granted from super power considered magic

Unread post by cbrekkas »

Is supernatural ps granted from super power considered magic? Can a super powered or alien hero with supernatural PS harm monsters immune to normal damage or would they be considered magic even if they're not a creature of magic? (monster can only be damaged by magic, fire or holy)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Is supernatural ps granted from super power considered m

Unread post by eliakon »

cbrekkas wrote:Is supernatural ps granted from super power considered magic? Can a super powered or alien hero with supernatural PS harm monsters immune to normal damage or would they be considered magic even if they're not a creature of magic? (monster can only be damaged by magic, fire or holy)

It is not magic per se (unless granted by magic of course.).
It does harm a wide range of things that are immune to normal damage though. If you are importing from Rifts (where this comes up) if it is harmed by SN PS in rifts it is harmed by SNPS in HU as well.
But it does harm things. Thus it will harm (at half damage) Invulnerable for instance while it does nothing to Zombie Flesh...
so the answer tends to be 'it depends'.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
cbrekkas
D-Bee

Thanks. My players are about to come across a Mummy Immortalus (from Palladium Fantasy Monsters and Animals) in a HU game. It says it's immune to normal damage and I was just wondering cause one of my players has the Supernatural PS super power. So would this be similar situation to the does nothing to Zombie flesh example?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

cbrekkas wrote:Thanks. My players are about to come across a Mummy Immortalus (from Palladium Fantasy Monsters and Animals) in a HU game. It says it's immune to normal damage and I was just wondering cause one of my players has the Supernatural PS super power. So would this be similar situation to the does nothing to Zombie flesh example?

I would say "yes"
I base this on the fact that as per Vampire Kingdoms mortals with Supernatural Strength damage vampires who are another undead who is immune to normal weapons.
The rest of the team is going to want to stock up on silver, holy water and flamethrowers though :lol:

Zombie Flesh is a no because the power specifically states that no form of strength can damage it which means that it specifically is exempt from SNPS.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
cbrekkas
D-Bee

Thanks
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Supernatural PS is not magical in nature unless granted by a magical source, and it is pretty much up to the GM whether it can do damage to beings immune to normal damage or if it just does reduced damage.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

cbrekkas wrote:Thanks. My players are about to come across a Mummy Immortalus (from Palladium Fantasy Monsters and Animals) in a HU game. It says it's immune to normal damage and I was just wondering cause one of my players has the Supernatural PS super power. So would this be similar situation to the does nothing to Zombie flesh example?

Zombie flesh isn't imperviousness to Normal weapons persay, like a form of Invunerability where only magic or psionics can hurt you. It's impervious to physical damage, whatever the source, even if it's magical or psionic in nature. Energy of any sort, be it magical or mundane, can hurt them. HU, this means energy blasts or energy weapons are a good way to deal with them. In a PF context, fire is your best bet as fire is one of those things they are vunerable to.

Mummies have standard limited invunerability, same as Vampires and Werewolves.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cbrekkas
D-Bee

Thanks. I figured that was the case
jjameed
Newb

Unread post by jjameed »

Thanks

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”