Questions about character creation

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

klumze
D-Bee

Questions about character creation

Unread post by klumze »

My friends and I have purchased several 2nd ed HU books recently in an attempt to start playing after 20+ years of being dormant. I ran into a few questions while we were making characters today I needed help with.

My brother was rolling stats for a ancient master and rolled a 16, so he rolled again and got a 6, then another 6. Does he stop there? I told him to keep going and he rolled a 45 total (think it was 4-5 6' in a row). Is he capped at 30 or is 45 legit?

When determining starting hit points is seems like its your P.E. attribute plus a D6 before any physical skills add to your P.E. or other abilities add to it. Is this correct or do the skills during creation process also modify starting hit points?
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Questions about character creation

Unread post by dreicunan »

klumze wrote:My friends and I have purchased several 2nd ed HU books recently in an attempt to start playing after 20+ years of being dormant. I ran into a few questions while we were making characters today I needed help with.

My brother was rolling stats for a ancient master and rolled a 16, so he rolled again and got a 6, then another 6. Does he stop there? I told him to keep going and he rolled a 45 total (think it was 4-5 6' in a row). Is he capped at 30 or is 45 legit?

When determining starting hit points is seems like its your P.E. attribute plus a D6 before any physical skills add to your P.E. or other abilities add to it. Is this correct or do the skills during creation process also modify starting hit points?
You stop after the second die, so he would have had 28 per the rules.

Skills aquired during creation modify starting hit points.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The number cap depends on what you are rolling for. Most cap out at 30.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:The number cap depends on what you are rolling for. Most cap out at 30.

The bonus chart on page 15 goes up to 30, but also on page 15, it says if you roll a 16, 17 or 18, roll another 6-sided die. If that roll is also a 6, roll another 6-sided die. It doesn't say to roll a third 6-sided die.

I think the chart goes up to 30 if you have a skill or power that gives you a boost after you've already rolled your basic attributes. At least, that's how I understand it.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Jack Burton wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:The number cap depends on what you are rolling for. Most cap out at 30.

The bonus chart on page 15 goes up to 30, but also on page 15, it says if you roll a 16, 17 or 18, roll another 6-sided die. If that roll is also a 6, roll another 6-sided die. It doesn't say to roll a third 6-sided die.

I think the chart goes up to 30 if you have a skill or power that gives you a boost after you've already rolled your basic attributes. At least, that's how I understand it.

erm, if you do the math, it goes to 30 because if you roll an 18, and a 6, and a 6...

thats 30.

=)

Some attributes can easily go higher when you start factoring in Physical Skills and Super Powers (and with Aliens, racial abilities). But you cant ROLL more than a 30.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:

erm, if you do the math, it goes to 30 because if you roll an 18, and a 6, and a 6...

thats 30.

=)

Some attributes can easily go higher when you start factoring in Physical Skills and Super Powers (and with Aliens, racial abilities). But you cant ROLL more than a 30.

Why yes. Yes, you do.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What the above said for the HP and attribute limit. Go with the 28. 30 is usually the limit for "regular" attributes. Powers can boost that number.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”