Tormentors

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slight001
Hero

Tormentors

Unread post by Slight001 »

What is up with these things?

I can't create a usage opinion for my custom 'house/faction' the Hel'breki without knowing what the hell they are. To put it simply to the Hel'breki, mystery doesn't work and they have a very low opinion of the creation of saints/engineers/librarians, accepted as a necessary 'evil' of sorts. They wouldn't use or permit the creation of something like the Tormentor without knowing what they really were.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Tormentors

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if your house is squeamish about saints and engineers, which are pretty danged benevolent in addition to being absolutely necessary, they probably wouldn't make use of tormentors at all, which are neither benevolent nor necessary. (librarians i would expect are barely tolerated, and probably severely limited in the number of scarecrows they are permitted to create).
Slight001
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:if your house is squeamish about saints and engineers, which are pretty danged benevolent in addition to being absolutely necessary, they probably wouldn't make use of tormentors at all, which are neither benevolent nor necessary. (librarians i would expect are barely tolerated, and probably severely limited in the number of scarecrows they are permitted to create).

Squeamish... hmm... not so much. The Hel'breki see them as necessary. That doesn't mean they are happy about it.

As far as the tormentor being needed... completely agree they are not. Especially as written. it's got Brandon's figureprints all over it... that's not a good thing in my opinion. However, it still exists within the world and the Hel'breki would know about them as well as what happens to them.

Beyond my reservations though it's still an interesting concept. I'd consider using it with the Hel'breki... well, after I modify the class to fit the Hel'breki, but it's got this glaring problem of a big unknown in its nature and it's life cycle.

Oh and Scarecrows are strictly prohibited.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

wait, you mean, what do they turn into? i don't think *anyone* knows that. i'm not sure the author even knows that.
Slight001
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:wait, you mean, what do they turn into? i don't think *anyone* knows that. i'm not sure the author even knows that.

Yeah that exactly... was hoping I'd missed something. Also, Brandon knows, he's mentioned it before that he and, iirc, his brother in law already had plans for them... in a future splicers book...

I really wish we had a less congested pipeline in palladium books...

In the writeups the authors seem to operate under this idea that somehow the librarians are independent operatives with barely any, if at all, oversite and are allowed to just run experiments without consequences. Near as I can tell the various authors have them operating as an 'evil genius' or 'mad scientist' that in turn works for an incompetent organisation that has no idea of the horrors they are creating under their very noses.

Honestly I just find it hard to believe that anyone could just keep ignoring the obvious problems...

On seedlings "Oh those things? Well they are growing homes for you. Why? ... Oh don't worry about that. You don't need to concern yourself with what they become when they mature."

On tormentors "What's going to happen to them? Don't worry yourself. They are just going away... well yes like a Saint they have a wonderful creature growing within themselves and like a Saint it will eventually grow too big for them. So we are going to make them more comfortable."

I know the resistance is supposed to be desperate and feel backed into a corner, but I just can't accept that arguments like the above are good enough. Course I'm an atheist so blind faith isn't my thing. Maybe someone with such a capacity could accept such excuses?

Return to “Splicers®”