Your power combinations.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

redfoxx01
D-Bee

Your power combinations.

Unread post by redfoxx01 »

Hi I'm just curious to know what are some of your best power combinations.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: Your power combinations.

Unread post by zerombr »

I'll mention what I did on Facebook. Firstly, know that I'm not looking for 'gotcha' combinations that render foes completely and utterly helpless.

-Portals and energy expulsion. the EE was displayed as opening tiny portals that energy poured out of.

-Electrical field + robotic skills. Character made some very simple robotic minions that were powered by her electricity field.

-any super speed + gravitational plane. Finally be able to run up walls.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Shrink, constant mass, + Rocket Fists. Now you can literally be a human bullet!
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Alter Physical Structure: Bone (Skeletal Form) + Indestructible Bones (+ Shadow Cloak, for a great visual)
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

filo_clarke wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Bone (Skeletal Form) + Indestructible Bones (+ Shadow Cloak, for a great visual)

hmmmmmmm I'm not sure how this could be used without being immune to damage. What'd you do for it?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

zerombr wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Bone (Skeletal Form) + Indestructible Bones (+ Shadow Cloak, for a great visual)

hmmmmmmm I'm not sure how this could be used without being immune to damage. What'd you do for it?

APS Bone already makes the character's bones unbreakable anyways, so Indestructible Bones would only be contributing a bit of extra damage (1d6) to punches and kicks, +1 to pull punch, and 4d6 to SDC when not in bone form (which gives an exact amount of SDC).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Kalimari was a Symbiot Hero from PU2
His powers were Prodigious Multiple Limbs + Natural Combat Ability + Multi Tasking (eyes in the back of the head, and breath water were his other abilities)

The concept being that the host didn't know how to fight, so all the combat abilities were a function of the symbiot fighting.
That said, Combining anything that gives you Multiple Limbs with Multi Tasking has always been a fun combo

Death Count was a mystically bestowed hero
His Powers were Weapon Warping (Heroes of the Megaverse) + Defensive Immunity (PU3)

Now Heroes of the Megaverse may not be a standard source for HU powers [And most of them aren't good selections] however there are a few that I like (Weapon Warping and Unchained come to mind). The primary use in Death Count's case is that his weapons warp in such a way that they can harm anyone they strike. Defensive Immunity allows you to become immune to one type of attack. Thus the character is now able to adapt to any attack and overcome any defense. This makes the villain a perfect character who has to be "fought as a team"

Alternative Defensive immunity would be a good companion power to any offensive power that ignores people's defense. Or a Magic Weapon

Metal Master was a Mutant
Powers of Matter Expulsion Metal (PU1) + Metal Manipulation (PU3)

Clear the idea is to create his own metal and then even further enhance his creation. Increase the AR of his Armor, Sharpen his Metal Sword are the obvious. Using Restore Metal on his own armor may be borderline cheating. Shoot Metal Pieces from Metal Manipulation does more damage than Shoot Metal Blades from Metal Expulsion.

Practically speaking there is a variety of powers that allow you to create something then use a different power to manipulate it

Transmode was an Experiment
His powers were Transmutation (PU3) + Copy Physical Structure (HU2) + Extraordinary IQ (PU3)

The Primary Setup is that with Transmutation he can create any substance that he wants to copy the physical properties of. Further combined with Extraordinary IQ with a specialization in Chemistry you give your character an excuse to be able to imagine advanced compounds.

As a general combo we would be looking at anything that allows you to create whatever it is you're capable of absorbing
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

dreicunan wrote:
zerombr wrote:

APS Bone already makes the character's bones unbreakable anyways, so Indestructible Bones would only be contributing a bit of extra damage (1d6) to punches and kicks, +1 to pull punch, and 4d6 to SDC when not in bone form (which gives an exact amount of SDC).

Ah good, see my instinct was that this was an attempt to make APS Bone invulnerable to harm. Cool.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Now that you mention it, metal manipulation and technoform has been a favorite of mine for a while now.
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

Uncle Servo tried to get a campaign started where we used established heroes as inspiration. It didn't get off the ground, but mine was Captain Comet, Growth/Sonic Flight/and I think APS Stone but I am not sure now
CES
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

did you use growth and APS at the same time? I'd have called him Rhodes. :D
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

zerombr wrote:did you use growth and APS at the same time? I'd have called him Rhodes. :D

We had guidelines. One of us picked Aquaman and became an APS Liquid hero. I had intended my character to be an emergency group transport and a battering ram. I think my calculated damage was enough to knock planes out of the sky if I could catch them
CES
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

A super soldier (PU2)
Alter Limbs, Conduct Electricity, Multiple Limbs (arms)
Internal Robot Medical System, Phenomenal Balance, Hypnotic Mental Conditioning, Mind and Body More Attuned
Special Weapon: Mini-Fusion generator for electrical power.
He was code named Gadget. He had mechanical, electrical and weapons engineering skills (Weapons Engineer Skill program from HU2 Gm's guide). He could make nearly any kind of gadget from his limbs in the field. Conduct Electricity and the fusion generator allowed him to make electrically powered machines (like say a pump), add a bottle of hydraulic fluid carried around for working fluid and he could do hydraulics - jackhammers and the jaws of life included... Not to mention a wide variety of combat tools from railguns to paint sprayers.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

was his rank...Inspector?
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Full shapeshifter loadout: alter facial feature, alter physical body, technoform, metal manipulation, polymorph.

Edit: woot! 200th post!
Last edited by Vincent Takeda on Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

zerombr wrote:was his rank...Inspector?

No, but he got called "Inspector Gadget" by many a snarky villain.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Currently day dreaming about a character named Fire Fly
APS Fire + Swarm Selves
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Mutant with 3 Major:

Immortality
Multiple Beings/Selves
Multiple Lives

Only played a few times; character is actually from the Civil War era.

Character has been interested in Law Enforcement and has often been a cop or other government agent. (Skills selection reflects this)

Character does not appear to be a mutant or have super powers; what most people dont know, is that they have never actually met the "real" character at all!

The "real" character lives a rather secluded and secretive life - in a safe house that the duplicates never go directly to unless they die. The person everyone has met is one of his doubles, who essentially lives the "outside" life, as the 'real' person sends the other duplicates out to aid in investigations, create alibis, and organizes all the information.

He is an expert in disguise (just via skills and cosmetics, no powers) so his other doubles can often come and go and even briefly interact with one another without much trouble.

The power combination makes the character pretty durable (gets lots of bonuses to PE, HP, and SDC) and he heals quick. Since it is always a double out in the field, if the double dies, its spirit floats off to regenerate - if close enough, straight home to the safe house, if not, to one of several safe spots that are set up.

Then they go back to their creator/true self and re-integrate.

This neatly avoids the one downfall of both Multiple Beings/Selves and Mutiple Lives... .

The Doubles actually cant be completely killed unless they are done in while regenerating, and then they dont suffer the penatlies for having died - or rather, they do, briefly, until they are re-integrated to the "true" character and then spit out again, at which time they are once again a complete copy of the original (who hasnt died) and no longer suffer any penalties.

Even if the bad guys figure out they are not dealing with the original (or even figure out that there is more than one of him in the first place!) they have to find the original, and even if they DO manage to kill him... chances are he gets away and regenerates anyway!

Its not super powerful up-front, isnt a combat monster, and is definitely a thinking mans character (like having one double provide sniper cover for another, the one acting as the "main" personality.)
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

As noted, Swarm Selves is a great power for combos. Swarm-Selves with Totem Energy Animal to make a pack of "normal" sized energy wolves. Swarm-Selves with Growth to make "normal" sized copies when you want them. Swarm-Selves and Animal Abilities, or Control Others to give the little guys animals to ride.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

i don't like swarm selves or multiple beings. I feel they're just links to power whore too much.

On the other hand, I wish I'd see Elasticity have more play.
RockJock
Knight

There has to be a way to make a Rubber Band attack out of that. Elasticity and Energy Fists or something.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Elasticity and rocket fists?
RockJock
Knight

But make him launch as a human slingshot. Perfect!
jlm2924
D-Bee
Comment: "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

My current character is a Teen Girl by the name of Ragamuffin (Abigail Riley) Lvl - 4

APS: Ragdoll
Shrink
Toy Control
Instant Wardrobe
Impervious to Heat & Fire

Her shrink ability only activates when she turns to a ragdoll (12" doll, Abby is 5'0"). Once in ragdoll form she has her "minions" other toys she keeps in the Instant Wardrobe Space, while Abby's clothes are stored in the 1st pocket assist her in a crime spree. It is important to note that she has the Jekyll & Hyde syndrome, Abby is a sweet teen girl (Scrupulous) while Ragamuffin is an evil murderous doll (Miscreant) with Abby's best 'interest' in mind. More often than not poor Abby will wake up somewhere surrounded by loot from one of Ragamuffin's crime sprees! Yes she also steals expensive toys, Abby LOVES dolls.

On a side note: Someone once said Instant Wardrobe was a worthless power. I assure you, it's not. It's an extra dimensional place to store my stuff, loots, clothes, weapons, etc. You get a space at each level and the spaces can all hold your level x 20 lbs. each. So if Ragamuffin steals some high end toys, puts them in a sack then stores them for Abby, and the cops find Abby wandering outside (she thinks she sleepwalks), then cops bring her home and when she wakes up in her room she has tons of new things!

The best part is the hero group is looking for the Evil Toy Master Ragamuffin. No one has ever seen her! Only heard her creepy laugh!
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I kinda wanna give Dane and Rifka a samoyed puppy with natural combat ability, venomous attack, and transfixing gaze.
RockJock
Knight

Jim, you scare me....awesome character.
jlm2924
D-Bee
Comment: "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

RockJock wrote:Jim, you scare me....awesome character.

Thanks. I have her sheet on a PDF, a real masterpiece but now only to make room for loots without going to page 2. :-)
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

I began creating a team of minor like heroes with strange power combos. They've really grown on me and have become my favorite team.

In the story they were originally called Justice, however, due to their powers, the media began calling them 'Strange' Justice and the name stuck.

- The Fabricator (Leader)
- Fabric Manipulation
- Whip Attack
- Weightless (Super Invention Belt)
- Day job is a police officer, wears full modern armor covered in cloth strips with 2 bull whips he uses to swing through the city, uses plastic eggs to hold fabric to throw at opponents to ensnare them.

- Dodgeball
- Dwarfing (permanent)
- Super Bounce
- Enhanced Leaping
- Genius level intellect and best friends with crush. Uses enhanced leaping to increase his damage and height when bouncing.

- Crush
- Enlarge Body Parts
- Anatomical Independence
- Hardened Skin
- Forearms and hands are permanently larger than normal (think Popeye), Will ride on an enlarged hand, or will throw his small hand into the air to have it land on (crush) an opponent.

- Silent Slider
- Sliding
- Warp Sound
- EE Sonic Boom
- Permanently muted within a 3ft radius around her, will use the sonic boom behind her to slide faster, enjoys using warp sound to trick opponents into fighting each other.

- Mighty Maxine
- Tentacle Hair
- Flight: Glide
- Extraordinary PP
- Uses her hair to glide, has a large braid in the back that has a stun gun woven into it and uses it like a scorpion tail, will sometimes braid other things like knives or hammers into her hair too.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

the idea of throwing your arm up into the air, to come down on someone is pretty amusing. Too bad the power itself is a little weaksauce for a major. but I like the team. I've never really gotten any use of the fabric abilities
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

2 Major powers and 1 Minor power.

Shape Shifter: Unlimited - Gain the natural abilities of whatever you morph into up to a dragon and intuitively know how to use them.

Bio Aura - Equipment/Armor can shape shift with you while maintaining protective qualities and in some cases disappear. Your equipment also gains any protection you have. The book example is if you have impervious to fire and heat so does your clothes and armor. Weight Limit is 100 pounds.

Weight Manipulation - 100 pounds per action added or subtracted. If you wish to maintain effect it cost 1 action per melee.

Whenever you shape shift you can bring all the gear you have with you due to WM. With SS:U you can gain just about any fancy passive like see the invisible, regeneration, dimensional teleport (1500 pound weight limit I think not), SN PS and/or PE, etc.

I've also thought about SS:U with Swarm Selves.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

csyphrett wrote:Uncle Servo tried to get a campaign started where we used established heroes as inspiration. It didn't get off the ground, but mine was Captain Comet, Growth/Sonic Flight/and I think APS Stone but I am not sure now
CES

It was Growth, SF and APS ICE.(hence Comet).
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

jlm2924 wrote:On a side note: Someone once said Instant Wardrobe was a worthless power. I assure you, it's not. It's an extra dimensional place to store my stuff, loots, clothes, weapons, etc. You get a space at each level and the spaces can all hold your level x 20 lbs. each. So if Ragamuffin steals some high end toys, puts them in a sack then stores them for Abby, and the cops find Abby wandering outside (she thinks she sleepwalks), then cops bring her home and when she wakes up in her room she has tons of new things!

The best part is the hero group is looking for the Evil Toy Master Ragamuffin. No one has ever seen her! Only heard her creepy laugh!

Dimensional Pockets power might work well with her, any pocket you reach into can be used by you to access an infinite dimensional pocket.
You can auto-grab anything you remember putting in there when you reach into a pocket.

This would let Ragamuffin p ull out weapons and explosives seemingly at will. Helping scare off any would be heroes(if she had to confront them).
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Ja’Crispy
Newb

Unread post by Ja’Crispy »

Definitely Growth and Sonic flight you become a human missile
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Swallowing Limbo+APS:Liquid/Ash/Shadow/Light/Goo-Gel/Mercury/Blood/Oil/Tar/etc.
The first lets you use your silhouette to envelope people and items in stasis. the power actually suggests a cape can increase this. There is a Shadow Cloak minor power. But with the right APS can let you alter your alternate form and thus increase your silhouette. Might be able to combine it with a movement power or the Force Manipulation Power, or the Tractor Beam minor, to drag them to you.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

How about this?

New Options with Super Abilities
The following are “optional means” of improving upon super abilities by combining or linking them with other super abilities, or simply selecting the
power twice. The use of these options in any Heroes Unlimited game lies within the discretion of the G.M.

Power Combo

A Power Combo is putting together two different super powers that are very similar in nature and/or coincides with each other, and instead of being two
separate powers they work perfectly in tandem, effectively enhancing each other. This already occurs naturally with powers like Create Force Field and Create
Force Constructs. Selecting these two powers together gives the character 1D4 to his P.E. attribute, both force bolts and weapons do an extra 1D6 damage,
the maximum force aura/armor S.D.C. is increased to 300, 20 minutes is added to the duration of both powers, and the range of force firearms and force
bolts is doubled. However, the two powers do not get separate S.D.C. in their initial creation (meaning the character’s P.E. attribute number times 100 is done
only once). And the two powers must share the S.D.C. pool.
Another example of a Power Combo is Space Native and Weightlessness. The bonuses of Space Native becomes viable in an atmosphere along with the
Weightlessness bonuses when the two powers are being used together. This happens again when Flight: Space is combined with Weightlessness, thereby
allowing the character to fly twice as fast in an atmosphere. These cannon examples are excellent guidelines to allow players to pick powers that under their
descriptions “do not specifically state” that they work in tandem, but with some common sense and G.M. discretion, one could assume they would. There are
of course a few guidelines for making any Power Combo:

1. Power Combos can only occur between two Major Super Abilities or two Minor Super Abilities. A major and minor ability cannot form a Power
Combo.

2. A Power Combo can only occur when the two powers produce similar results, share common traits, or work effectively well together, making it
appear that there is no distinction between the two. Both benefit from each other. One cannot dominate the other, or received the greater benefit by
removing an inherit weakness. For example, Immune to Melee Attacks and Immune to High Speed Attacks cannot form a Power Combo because neither
power does anything to enhance the other, both simply removes each other’s vulnerability. Furthermore, if another super ability would simply replicate the
results of the two powers, it would be simpler to differ to that ability instead of forming a Power Combo, in other words given the example above,
Invulnerability, or perhaps Kinetic Absorption or Re-channel Kinetic Energy would be a more logical conclusion. Just as important, the two powers retain their
individuality with their full arsenal and capabilities without hindrance from the other power.

3. For a Power Combo to occur the two powers have to be working simultaneously without the character’s divided attention. Energy Expulsion: Fire
and Energy Expulsion: Cold cannot form a Power Combo, even if both powers are being expelled from two different locations on the anatomy. The two powers
are not working in tandem nor enhancing the other. Growth and Shrink cannot form a combo because it’s impossible for the two powers to function at the
same time. Although they are opposites with no common shared traits, Alter Physical Structure: Fire and Alter Physical Structure: Ice can function together in
a perfect union making a very effective Power Combo. This is easily demonstrated in the NPC villain Kelvin seen in the HU sourcebook Century Station™.
Another example would the NPC villain Mire from the HU sourcebook Gramercy Island™ who possesses the Power Combo Alter Physical Structure: Earth and
Alter Physical Structure: Liquid. Again, common sense with just a little scientific logic should determine whether or not the two different super abilities can
make a Power Combo.

4. A Power Combo has to demonstrate a unique, obvious benefit of the two powers working in tandem with each other. There is nothing special about
Invulnerability being combined with Sonic Flight.

5. Once a Power Combo is decided upon, it’s up to the Game Master to approve on how the two powers benefit via combat bonuses, increase attribute
scores, etc. As a rule of thumb, any bonuses to attributes should only occur if it helps out both powers. For example, Create Force Field and Create Force
Constructs both rely on the P.E. of the character to produce the energy that determines the S.D.C. of the force field. Increasing the P.E. by 1D4 proves mutual
for both powers. Powers that produce a similar energy blast, like the force bolts in the two powers mentioned above, should only increase by 1D6 or 2D6 (or
increase to the next higher level dice, i.e. from a D6 to a D8 or a D10) or receive a maximum of increase in damage up to 50%. When powers combine each
must contribute something to the ability, but not in way that would contradict one another. Here is a perfect example. The bolt of cold produce from the power
Control the Void does 3D6 + 1D6 per level of experience per blast. The power Alter Physical Structure: Void likewise produces a blast of intensely cold energy
that only does 4D6 per blast. When these two powers form Power Combo, the G.M has two obvious options. The base damage for the new modified cold ray
(combo of both) starts at 4D6 and increases by 1D6 per level of experience or the base damage increases to 6D6 but doesn’t increase per level of experience.
Likewise the range of the one is 500 feet (152.4 m) + 30 feet (9 m) per level of experience while the range of the other stays at 500 feet (152.4 m). Again,
the choice for the new combined cold ray range could be increase by 50% making it 750 feet (228.6 m) with no increase per level of experience or increase
the 500 foot (152.4 m) range by 30 feet (9) per level of experience. Both add something to the overall effect, but one does not insert itself as the more
dominate power.

6. Just because two powers possess capabilities that are nearly one and the same, one should not assume they make an obvious Power Combo. For
example, Sonic Flight and Sonic Speed both allow one to travel Mach One. One requires running (gravity) while the other provides the power of flight (defying
gravity). One cannot run and fly at the same time. Furthermore, doubling any of the bonuses or even adding to either power doesn’t make sense because
they both reach the same maximum speed, thus the benefit is one and the same. Space Native and Weightlessness are different from each other, but each
provides something different that enhances the whole when combined together, thus the reason the bonuses from Space Native are combined with the
Weightlessness when the two powers work in tandem while the character is in an atmosphere. However, when in outer space Weightlessness would lose its
effectiveness because the character becomes weightless without the use of the power and Space Native natural affinity overshadows the cause/effect results
brought about from the Weightless power.

Ultimately, it’s the G.M. discretion to decide how to handle a Power Combo, the importance is to ensure the Combo does not cause imbalance to the
game nor establish such a precedent that it will hinder future gaming within the group. Arguments and favoritism toward a particular house rule that benefits
only one player takes away from the enjoyment of the gaming experience.

Here are some more examples of Power Combos that G.M.s could consider to be implemented in their game if he or she chooses to do so:

Multiples Lives COMBINED with Transferal/Possession. These two powers function as their descriptions indicate, however when the character dies,
instead of reincarnating into a re-born body, the essence of the characters takes possession of a new host, any suitable person up to 100 miles (160 km)
away. That person must make a saving throw vs. possession or else their mind is eliminated permanently, and the character assumes full possession of his
new body. The character does not restore his old appearance. He simply begins a new life in a different body. This new host body still possesses the two
powers. All trace of the former personality is gone forever. If the victim successful makes a saving throw, the mind of the Power Combo character has a 30
foot (9 m) +10 foot (3 m) per level of experience range to find another suitable target. If he can do so, it will not cost him one of his 8+1D4 life times. This
only happens if the character fails to find a suitable body with the area of effect. Remember he can search as far as 100 miles (160 km) away from his death
location. On the downside, he has equal to his M.E. attribute score in minutes to find or create a body before his life force fades away.

Intangibility COMBINED with Alter Physical Structure: Earth. These two powers function as their descriptions indicate, however the character has the
power to activate them at the same times thereby allowing him to travel/walk through solid earth, dirt, sand, clay, or stone of any kind (including concrete
unless it contains rebar or some kind of metal within in). The Power Combo when activates will not allow the character to travel through any other substance
as long as the character is in his APS-Earth form.

Alter Physical Structure: Fire COMBINED with Teleport. These two powers function as their descriptions indicate, however the character in his APS: Fire
form can choose to teleport 5 miles (8 km) radius out of any source of flame. He can walk into a campfire in the woods and teleport out from the flames of a
gas burning stove. Unfortunately when choosing to teleport this way, the character has no sense of direction, so the teleport is subject to severe randomness,
but there has to be open flame exposed to the air. The character cannot teleport inside a blast furnace. But he could teleport out of a fireplace or from the
burning candle wick on top of a birthday cake. When not in his APS-Fire form, the Power Combo is not activated.

Inhabitation COMBINED with Mechano-Link or Machine Merge. These two powers function as their descriptions indicate, however when using both
together, the character can access any technology connected to the building, such as a lap top computer plugged into the wall. This lap top would normally be
inaccessible to the character unless he is physically touching the device, but with this Power Combo, the moment any electronic device is plugged into the wall
(and not running on its battery), the character will sense it, know its exact location, and access it regardless of its location in the building. The same thing will
happen to a cell phone, television set, or any video technology. The character can make himself appear on the screen as if he was inside the device. His voice
comes out of the speakers. Unplugging the device severs the connection, and doesn’t harm the character but does cause some temporary disorientation (Lose
one attack and -2 to strike, parry, and dodge for 1D4 melees rounds). Remember the device has to be plugged into an electrical outlet within the building for
this Power Combo to function.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Aps:bone and growth, be a BIG skeleton monster (think a skeletal Godzilla)!
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

Human Immortal or Fallen Godling

Major Abilities: Alter Physical Structure: Shadow, Shadow Manipulation
Minor Abilities: Impervious to Light & Lasers, Shadow Molding, Shadow Stepping

I asked on a previous thread regarding mixing some of those powers, and Shadow Molding becomes very versatile when combined with Shadow Manipulation since all the shadow objects are well, shadows.

Impervious to Light & Lasers grants immunity to the main weakness of both Major powers. Shadow Stepping gives you considerable mobility and the whole power set is thematic.

If you can get another Major ability (like by being a Godling / Demon Lord), then Swallowing Limbo is the best complementary option.
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

Human Immortal
Major: Alter Physical Structure: Blood, Alter Physical Structure: Bone and Flesh Works
Minor: Healing Power

The perfect healer! You can Sense Health of Flesh, Heal the Flesh of Others [2D6 hp/sdc per touch], Heal Bones in an instant, Clot Blood [stop bleeding] and Transfuse Others [10 pints of blood/level] and stop poisons/drugs and minor diseases/conditions.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

I was thumbing through PU1 and ran across Sensory Orb (page 39). I had skimmed it before and then went on but today I read through it. It says that the character's "mind and senses are temporarily transferred" into the orb. That got me to thinking. If the character's mind is already floating around outside their body then it should be possible to use the Transferal/Possession power (HU2, page 295). It might be a stretch but the description doesn't say you can't do it, lol.

Ghost Boy leaves his physical body behind, rising out of his chest in the form of a small glowing orb and flies through an open window. As he moves through the warehouse he encounters a security guard. The guard spots the orb floating towards him in the dim light and stares at it trying to decide if he's just seeing things. The orb flies directly into the guard's head and Ghost Boy takes control. Ghost Boy looks through the guard's eyes and checks the keys hanging on his belt. This will be an easy night.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Reagren Wright wrote:How about this?

New Options with Super Abilities
The following are “optional means” of improving upon super abilities by combining or linking them with other super abilities, or simply selecting the
power twice. The use of these options in any Heroes Unlimited game lies within the discretion of the G.M.

Power Combo

A Power Combo is putting together two different super powers that are very similar in nature and/or coincides with each other, and instead of being two
separate powers they work perfectly in tandem, effectively enhancing each other. This already occurs naturally with powers like Create Force Field and Create
Force Constructs. Selecting these two powers together gives the character 1D4 to his P.E. attribute, both force bolts and weapons do an extra 1D6 damage,
the maximum force aura/armor S.D.C. is increased to 300, 20 minutes is added to the duration of both powers, and the range of force firearms and force
bolts is doubled. However, the two powers do not get separate S.D.C. in their initial creation (meaning the character’s P.E. attribute number times 100 is done
only once). And the two powers must share the S.D.C. pool.
Another example of a Power Combo is Space Native and Weightlessness. The bonuses of Space Native becomes viable in an atmosphere along with the
Weightlessness bonuses when the two powers are being used together. This happens again when Flight: Space is combined with Weightlessness, thereby
allowing the character to fly twice as fast in an atmosphere. These cannon examples are excellent guidelines to allow players to pick powers that under their
descriptions “do not specifically state” that they work in tandem, but with some common sense and G.M. discretion, one could assume they would. There are
of course a few guidelines for making any Power Combo:

Lately I've been thinking about Techno-Form (PU3, page 102) and what to combine it with. I thought that it might not be fun to always have to be the car so if I combined it with Multiple Beings/Selves (HU2, page 282) then I could have a Techno-Duplicate turn into the car/bus/helicopter. But then I thought about your post about setting up a Power Combo. What could happen if my character had both Techno-Form and Multiple Beings/Selves? Perhaps the when the character gets to level 4 he and his doppelgangers could merge into a giant robot form (taking the forms of a giant torso, arms and legs). The giant robot form would combine all of their SDC and allow them to draw from a Hit Point Pool to power a Main Battle Cannon (from the main battle tank description) mounted on one shoulder or taking the place of a hand. Too much?
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Reagren Wright wrote:
Power Combo

The other power I've been thinking about combining with Techno-Form with is Alter Limbs (HU2, page 239). I imagine that the combo would allow the mechanized weapons (my favorite being the chainsaw) and motorized forms of locomotion to be used without having to spend hit points.

With the introduction of Salvo (Century Station, page 176) a character with Techno-Form should be able to use regular ammunition for vehicle mounted weapons. I get a kick out of imagining the Techno-Formed character swallowing an ammo box (based on the ability to eat metal to replenish their SDC) and then turning into an attack helicopter to fire the bullets at an opponent. Actually, that might work with gun arms as well, feeding the ammunition into the weapon from the inside. Would save time swapping out magazines.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

• Multiple Selves
  • Mirror Mastery - PU1
  • Energy Doppleganger - PU1
For this The Main form will be known as "Alpha"

15th level mutant
Alpha makes a Mirror Copy and an Energy Doppleganger
Alpha then makes 15 copies via Multiple Selves. The Mirror of Alpha makes an Energy Doppleganger. (We are now 19 strong)

Now the Multiple Selves only have Mirror Mastery and Energy Doppleganger. Each Multiple makes an Energy Dopple Ganger (thats 15 more bring us to 34) The each Multiple Self also makes a Mirror Image (another 15 making us 49). Each Mirror Image (15) makes an Energy Doppleganger bringing us to 64)

Alpha
15 Multiple Selves
16 Mirror Images
32 Energy Dopplegangers

Completely book legal.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Arismals (Aliens Unlimited) can have like 2 majors and 5 minors.

I made a "CosmoKnight" as one -

1: Arismal Mutant: 2 Majors, 6 Minors (I did give him an extra minor).

* Bio-Armor
* Super Energy Expuslion: Plasma
* Superhuman P.S.
* Space Native
* Flight: Space
* Flight: Wingless
* Power Weapon
* Heightend Sense of Awareness
To make this book legal, could ditch say "Superhuman P.S." and use the unusual characteristic of "Stocky Build" which makes the characters strength the equivalent of Superhuman P.S.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Unread post by killgore444 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Mutant with 3 Major:

Immortality
Multiple Beings/Selves
Multiple Lives

I had a character with the same load out (sort of).
I was playing in a game that allowed mutants to be other classes (just double the XP required to advance) so he was a Arcanist. On converting to Rifts he survived the ordeal of Yggdrasil tree from PotM (rolls made in front of GM), Multiple Lives is such a nice power.

How about Multiple Beings/Selves x2 (A and B) and Shape change. All the dupes you create with Multiple Beings/Selves A would have the power of Multiple Beings/Selves B, and all the dupes you create with Multiple Beings/Selves B would have the power of Multiple Beings/Selves A. And all would have a Shape change. Great for creating a spy network (may require a lucky roll on education though) and secret identities.

Reagren Wright wrote:How about this?

Power Combo

I kind of already do this as a GM. I don't use random rolls, but I require that all powers make sense together as one whole power. I give bonuses when your powers work really well together, and small penalties if they don't (carrot and stick approach). Many combos I just outright refuse unless you can do some heavy justifying.

No, you can't take winged flight, APS:Stone and EE:Fire. However, APS:Ice, Wingless Flight and Force constructs would result in in your "Flight" being like Iceman from the comics and limited to relatively close to the ground and a much reduced speed and your force constructs are ice sculptures. If that had been your concept from the beginning, I'd compensate you for the penalties to flight somehow (maybe adding Healing factor or Enegy resistance to your power groups, but only while Ice for both) and offer some other bonus for a well rounded concept (maybe improving AR and SDC from APS:I).

Likewise, If you take Force-field, Force-constructs and EE:Force-bolts, right off the bat I'm going to allow you to keep the full amount of SDC for each of the 1st 2 powers (they should never have said you should drop one) and even allow you to exchange points between them. The force bolts would NOT require you to spend SDC on them like the sub-power of FF, but you could still spend them to increase the damage of your EE:FB. I'd also give a few bonuses to strike and the like, maybe even add Flight:Force-disk.

Like I said, carrot and Stick.

or simply selecting the power twice. The use of these options in any Heroes Unlimited game lies within the discretion of the G.M.

Here's a fun one, had a player in a recent game try the whole thing about taking a superpower twice like the guy in CS who took sonic speed to run mach 2. Her combo was Natural-Combat-Ability times 2, Healing-Factor and exchanging her second minor power for the psychic power (at will, no ISP cost) of Total recall, but limited to fighting weapons so once she encountered a fighting form, she wouldn't forget it. Nothing in her power set actually conflicted with others, but it also seemed a little munchkiny with nothing leading to a greater whole. It was a HU/Rifts cross however, so I allowed it, even bumped up the auto skill of expert to Martial Arts under the assumption she would have encountered SOMEONE who knew martial arts with her power choice.

Here are some more examples of Power Combos that G.M.s could consider to be implemented in their game if he or she chooses to do so:

Another good one is Mechano-link, Natural-Combat and Aerodynamics-control (forgot the actual name of the power). Since the concept was the first 2 powers worked ONLY on/in aircraft, I was quick to agree and even offer bonuses, namely the improved speed from the aerodynamics power works sort of like the gravity-control power (x1.5 at first level and times your level thereafter instead of x0.1 per level) and making it work with ANYTHING that flies, not just airplanes (so Mechano-link became Flying-object/organism-link (handy since this character ended up in Splicers after that game came out)) and applied it's bonuses to anything capable of flying that he could touch while doing so.
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Those in this thread:
I am trying to find an answer to two things:
1) It says you can combine the Powers of Mimic and Shapechanging to let you gain things like Extra limbs or Wings while shapechanged. This despite the fact that the mimic rules ay you can not use your own innate (other than Mimic) while mimicking other powers. I am trying to determine the limits of the effect. Does it mean you can create such limbs at will, that when you copy strictly physical powers you keep them indefinitely until you change them again, or that you can simply use mimic with shapeshift, but only when mimicking physical changer...or something else entirely?

2) I recall reading that powers that multiply your base speed do not multiply speed when it is posted by a speed power, such as Extraordinary speed. Is this correct?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

APS: metal, Shrink, sonic flight
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Post deleted.
Let's avoid conversions.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”