Northwest cooperative nation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Northwest cooperative nation

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Basic premise:

The natives have taken control of most of the greater northwest states of Oregon, Washington and Idaho. A group of adventurers taking over mountain home Idaho's military installation and set up refuges from Tolken and ran afoul the Renegades and spirituals in the area as there were members of the group from the three galaxies. Cyber the Operator of the group being well traveled (level 25) and having spent time with monks was able to work ease initial concerns.

It took a few years to reclaim the old mill towns from the overgrowth and to set up farming and manufacturing however in that time cyber and many of the more tech savvy in the group were able to turn the machines in to functional tools, and the magic users that were stone mages and able to manipulate trees and turn them in to steel or mdc wood were quickl put to work building the town and providing protection against monsters from the rifts.

Cyber organized many adventurers to seek out lost tech in the area and hit a few gold mines in the process.
Rose wilder a psychic healer and holistic doctor worked with the medicine men and other medical adventurers to move town to town providing a mobile clinic and set up long term medical facilities with those towns.

As new advances came into the fold cyber was called away by a cosmo knight to assist in dealing with an issue in the 3 galaxies. As fortune would have it cyber was dropped into the bushi federation and was tasked with assisting in finding naruti spies that managed to get into the factory and was stealing their cybernetic advancements.

Cyber proving both honorable and capable was given the chance to propose an exchange of tech for services. Cyber gave up the secrets to some tech no one in the rifts earth, naruni, or the 3 galaxies outside current modern earth (use and H.U. after the bomb tmnt) had. The oni were impressed with both the scope and inititive of the operator and were willing to work with him. In the process cyber got his own manufacturing, smelting and R&D equipment to develop this tech and permission to set up yearly rift openings for trade and resupply of medical tools and goods needed to keep the growing coop safe. A few oni have returned to Earth to meet the spiritualist and both found much common ground and were able to strengthen the bond..

As a symbol of the coop a fruit tree that bears 40 kinds of earth fruit that has been spliced from those trees is inCenter of each town, "over picking" is frowned on and harvesting in bulk is an insult to the locals and will quickly get a person ignored and shunned.

There is plenty of agricultural area and development but outward expansion is not an option as both sides have set the city bounderies and respect their spiritual brothers not to expand out, , however up is not out of the question.

The level of respect is so deep that every child that has a family history of 3 generations or more will likely take part in spending time with their spiritual elders at the age of 15 even those that are not of native decent or of earth origin. The spiritualist see this as a way to preserve their lifes and to teach their misguided brothers. Many return to the cities while a small portion decide to stay and learn appreciating the simpler life.

This has allowed cyber to act as a negotiator and a protector as he has been given control of the mountain home facility he has named it Raptor's Reach. It has many beings from all over the megaverse. And they take up the job of defending against monster, raiders and CS patrols.

Cyber has largely retired from adventuring and settled down, however many have made the nation their home. Many of which have been orphans and the spiritualist and people in the nation have worked to provide for those in need, and many have grown to become members of the nation and contributed in it's stability.

Current lists of towns under the coop banner
Mountain home (Raptor's reach)
Boise
Lagrande
Baker
Pendleton
Ukiah
Pilot rock
Walla walla
Hermiston
The dallas
Milton freewater
Heppner
Lexington
Ione
Arlington
Boardman
Irrigon
Umatilla
Mcnary
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Northwest cooperative nation

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Not an entirely implausible scenario, by Rifts standards.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mark Hall wrote:Not an entirely implausible scenario, by Rifts standards.

That feels like relatively like high praise from a content contributer. Thanks
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I think the main issue I see with it, giving it a second look, is it looks like there are few conflicts. What is there to DO? They've made peaceful contact between disparate groups, building a utopia up in the mountains, ruled over by a guy who pals around with cosmo-knights. They don't have the CS looming over them. There's no local conflicts with people they've displaced. They aren't apparently arguing with themselves... what is there to do? Why do I adventure here, instead of simply retire here?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Well they are still limited in numbers and at the moment the CS aren't making any overt actions to run out the savages, however as they have build a nice little place and could pose a threat the cs aren't likely to take kind. The co-op has many resources and tech and harbors dbees, that in itself is cause for concern and why Raptor's reach is the most eastern town, first line against an assault. Additionally the CS would be left to airsuperiority as the forest would be a hinderance for larger land vehicles. And troops.

Additionally there are scouts and spies that do manage to slip in and cause trouble. Each town has it's own security forces (part of why at 15 years old the children do go with the traditionalists to learn their territory and to make bonds wo that if evacuation of the people happens they are prepared to go nomad again and survive and thrive.

With that in mind that is why the towns are spread out like they are, strategically the resources needed to strike many target leaves only terrorist tactics small strikes to disrupt things.

Additionally the cosmo-knight was a (favor) that cyber owed the cosmo-knight and still owes because of the outcome. The cosmo-knight will likely refrain giving assistance as rifts earth is a pre-faster than light space faring world. As rifts has the tech to travel space, just can't get passed the satellites.

The access to the 3 galaxies is also limited to the oni federation and a well guarded secret within a few elders and pc's. And the location is known to only a few temporal mage. And the oni are not about to let that secret out either, they have a corner in that market and are not planning on letting the naruri get their mits on it either. So aid is unlikely as their involvement might start a corporate or intergalactic conflict they aren't willing to inflict on their lives for some back water world.

Cyber has many powerful freinds yes, however those are meaning less to the power of the cs. At the moment they don't tread on cs areas and let them guess at the power or lack there of. Most spies will report what they see and speculate at how much or little power the co-op has. Cyber does his best to put up a good front with patrols and vigilance, but that is a bluff on cybers part. He knows that in the end if the cs were to commit to a full scale assault the nation would be scattered and they would be back to square one.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As for conflicts there are also a number of rifts and supernatural monsters the columbia river is not exactly freindly as the the fish have mutated (no thanks to hanford) and pose a threat to small vessels. Leaving most transportation to air and roads which are still largely unimproved as work is slow from monster attacks as well as renegade raiders of selfish alignment. There are a few settlement that are havens for raiders and selfish dbee. And rumor has it a great ancient dragon may have a lair in the blue mountains between pendleton and la grande going north and south. So travel is largely
Left to the old freeways and usually under guard. For what little that is worth.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Cs patrols have also been getting bolder and pushing further into the woodland and have set up a base on the idaho montana border and may have skelbots and other patrols working their way in and camping and setting up more outposts as they move in. A well armed and tactical strike team could shake the foundations of the co-op and splinter the
Renegades from the others and may decide that cyber and his lot are more trouble than they are worth as well and prove the traditionalist right.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As a side while the natives and people of the co-op are hearty they aren't combat oriented, they "can" fight but not on the CS's level.

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

How far is your nation from the Calgary rift?

You might try and tie their collaboration to a mutual defense pact if the demons from Calgary are coming down and trying to conquer the peoples of this area.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Well, the closest towns is southern washington and northern Idaho let me check a map.
5 and a half hours by air. From mountain home. And 14 hours from the dallas to calgary.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Those are the northern most and southern most settlements

FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Near as I can tell, the area of this co-op is a few hundred miles square, if not larger. That is a massive region and any number of groups could spring up to cause issues and havoc. Let alone the Native's in the area might eventually just want to wipe the lot out.

This would be a very interesting region considering the geographical differences and large area.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

FatherMorpheus wrote:Near as I can tell, the area of this co-op is a few hundred miles square, if not larger. That is a massive region and any number of groups could spring up to cause issues and havoc. Let alone the Native's in the area might eventually just want to wipe the lot out.

This would be a very interesting region considering the geographical differences and large area.

Thanks and yes i did leave it open to what threat were or weren't there as a gm it lets they use random encounters or use for a cs campaign if the players wanted to play cs characters. Also this also leave much open for exploration as well as other factions as portland, seattle and other areas of the northwest of the columbia basin are largely untouched as well as the tri-cities a minor metro area. Which is 45 minutes north of hermiston by modern freeway travel.

While yes there are likely other renegade factions that would want to push out the outsiders, there is also the various tribes cayus, umatilla, walla walla, yakama in the co-op. (The area is the locations for the various reservations) and new tribes may have stemmed from them after the rifts.

Also There may or may not also be a group of people that see the natives as lesser beings and too primal and decide to move off on their own as well.

With that in mind where there is food and resouces there will be conflict. How that conflict is dealt with is up to the players and gm. While I am a bit of an old school romantic i would think that conflict between tribes would largely kept to counting ko. (And cities/settlements).

With that in mind attacks between factions would be more likely theft and prankster type. But it is the raiders and rogue renegades that are more violent and have little compunction of killing. In my opinion there is likely a group of natives that feel those in the coop that are traitors and have split from the pack and are openly hostile and violent. But i haven't gotten that far and will likely make a faction to address that or leave it in your hands.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As a side thought there is no reason I can think that the area might not have other major threats. Splurgoth slavers coming up the columbia, genesplicers, threats ran out of canada, russian threats that came over the land bridge between alaska and russia. I have been toying with the idea for a new race similar to phoenexi and humanoid bird like dbees. As a race like that would survive better in that region. And could. Contribute to the coop or be a threat or both.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162 ... d6d4ad.jpg

here is a basic map of the connections to the various areas as you can tell i got slightly greedy, however as you can see these are largely on the I-84 freeway with minor branches (I'll assume that the ones off the freeway are the more reclusive of the lot and would likely be the bigger farming areas. where as hermiston, boardman and pendleton are the larger food processors, heppner pilot rock and la grande are the wood mills (Have to put all the trees on the roads to work and not waste them right?)
Hermiston, pendleton, La Grande and the dalles have national guard stations. pendleton has an aviation, scout and mortar detachment, Hermiston has tanks and MP, La Grande is a Headquarters detachment (Commo, logistics, ect)

Mountain home is an air force installation as well as a training grounds for army national guard. Then you have the Raythion chemical weapons depot and The bombing range outside of boardman.

While I won't pretend that mountain home is a "Major" installation compared to Fort Benning or Hood, I would rank it as at least substantially better equipped than all the national guard combined in air power. (With possible samas armor and light air support craft and ground support)

boardman has the Port of morrow which has major cranes and cargo containers, Which if relocated could be used in other areas and maybe even recreated for power armor and robot construction.

at this point the coop is still largely a fledgling nation and not yet on par with early (Rifts book 1) level of cohesion or productivity. While advanced yes, manpower and transportation is still an issue as well as materials (as they only get them once a year) and 75% of the tech manufactured (Weapons armor ect) is sent back to the Bushi federation. (In exchange for Tech like Water purification)

Some of the larger towns have water filtration (Using Large starship systems) these are new and have not been fully integrated into the infrastructures yet. with the exception of the areas along the columbia as clean water is the top priority there (Polluted by hanford and mildly radioactive still)

Power is largely Thermal (Using peltier coolers (Thermogenerators), solar, and wind generation.

Areas away from the columbia like heppner, ione, and the like have willow creek and the reservoir for water and irrigation. many of the tech savvy have managed to repair the treatment plants and reopened some of the wells as well.

Grey water recycling is also encouraged in the areas that don't have a reliable clean water source yet. That is a priority but are at the mercy of time, and the bushi and their product output.
There is some other "tools" and factories as well as many scrap yards, so pickings should be pretty decent (Compared to major metro areas) In my way of thinking.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162 ... c85e3.jpeg

this is the 40 fruit tree I was referring too, it is a real tree it has heirloom and regional fruit from the area. apples (many types) plums, pears, peaches, ect.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Update:

I have developed and managed to play the scenario out and have a few new developments.

1 conflict:
True melting pot. There are going to be fractures in the co-op
. D-bees. Mutants, aliens, and more.

Conflict 2:
You are going to have those that want a symbiotic relationship with nature vs augmentation and development of new or lost technology

Natural vs supernatural.
Pretty straight forward.

And a debate on defense vs expansion and being known to the world at large.

There is also the possibility of working with other groups.

With the Columbia river being a possible safe haven for nero or other pirate groups could offer both conflict and adventure opportunities.

With Carbon tech being developed today, I think it stands to reason some of it would be recovered.

Carbon nanotubes, which full spectrum light absorbing carbon material.

Carbon fuel, concrete and batteries.

Also using diamond tech (artificially created)(just carbon)

But the biggest advances are combined tech.

Carbon nanotube fiber, using diamond as the binding/resin and using light absorbent coating.

Diamonds can be liquified at 5000°C and 10GPA. (High pressure and temperature.

With one odd supernatural development.

Adding PPE and ISP to the diamonds prior to melting allows the diamonds to shift from solid to liquid (after melting) and be shaped by the individual that provided the PPE and ISP at will.
(100 isp and 100 ppe for enough diamond to provide body armor with 100 MDC).

There is more carbon/diamond tech coming.

Lone star escaped experiments and dogboys.

With the dogboys there will be friends and allies, but also rivals and outright combatants.
Especially depending on the groups they encounter.

Building and adventure won't be difficult in this setting and easily allows multiverse access in some cases.

Npc's of note:
Cyberfalcon (real name unknown)
Level 20 Operator
Psi-mechanics

Rose Wilder:
Lvl 18 Doctor
Minor psycic

Jano St:
Lvl 17 rogue scientis
superpowers
Super speed
Energy expulsion light
Vibration
Healing factor

Flamehawk:
Level 14 Phoenixii

Scrapper
Level 10 machine person

Terrigon
Lvl 5 dragon hatchling

Rikter
Lvl 13 earth child

Kovar
Lvl 15 Wolven quorum

Each has access 1 phase tech side arm or armor

Each has access to any carbon/diamond tech weapon or item where appropriate.

Each represent different villages as a leader and defender.

The one thing they all agree on unquestionably is keeping the Coalition states out.

Trade generally involves barter of labor/skills or items.

Unless an individual is native to the area carbon/diamond tech access isn't possible. And no one will share info on how or where to obtain it.

GM's are free to develop as necessary.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

New power armor: Blackhawk mark 1.
Primary job: air support
Construction:
Diamond carbon nanotube composite. With light absorbing coating. (Reduce damage from light based attacks and is converted to heat energy and then electricity through the T.E.G
And cooling system.)

Does not reflect 99.5% of any light spectrum. But can be seen as a lack of light in visible, Thermal, and UV equipment.
MDC; similar to samas
Speed: add 10% to flight and running speed due to lighter materials.
Weapons,
Wing mounted mini-missiles
Heavy rifle (rail gun, plasma, ect)
Left forearm: lazer
Right forearm: vibroblade
Use samas stats for anything else.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hawk258 wrote:New power armor: Blackhawk mark 1.
Construction:
Diamond carbon nanotube composite. With light absorbing coating. (Reduce damage from light based attacks and is converted to heat energy and then electricity through the T.E.G
And cooling system.)

Does not reflect 99.5% of any light spectrum. But can be seen as a lack of light in visible, Thermal, and UV equipment.
MDC; similar to samas
Weapons,

How MANY wing-mounted mini-missiles?
And how powerful is that forearm-mounted laser?
How much damage is absorbed by the light-sink armor, and in game terms, does the re-purposed energy have any effect on performance/stats?
Since these are the big differences from the stock SAMAS, they need to be covered in greater detail-fluff(and stats). ;)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:New power armor: Blackhawk mark 1.
Construction:
And cooling system.)

MDC; similar to samas
Weapons,

How MANY wing-mounted mini-missiles?
And how powerful is that forearm-mounted laser?
How much damage is absorbed by the light-sink armor, and in game terms, does the re-purposed energy have any effect on performance/stats?
Since these are the big differences from the stock SAMAS, they need to be covered in greater detail-fluff(and stats). ;)

Well I was thinking of leaving that to GM Discretion.

But the damage reduction is 10% (considering MDC and prevent overload of cooling systems) and the power bonus could be applied to laser/energy based weapons for a +1 die (if weapon uses 3d6 damage it is 4d6 for 1 action)

Overload of batteries could be explained away with carbon batteries. (Which needs more input but assume the start from empty for this reason)

As for missiles, I am going to consider not more than 2 launchers (6 mini missiles each) per wing. They "can" be substituted for other weapons system.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

These bonuses "could" be higher at the GM's discretionary "if" the player can technobabble it and a good reason for that bonus to be "higher".

As this is the "mark1" I intend to find the best game balance as it develops.

There are aspects of diamond and carbon tech being developed

Diamonds also have a natural piesio electric effect.

Hit them and they generate electricity

Add energy and they pulse.

Also solid state data storage, which could contribute to Transfered intelligence.as well as possible data processing.

Carbon has fuel. Concrete, complete computers, batteries building materials like carbon fiber, and nanotubes.

Add in Carbon 12 (what organic life exhales plants use, the sun puts out ect)

Carbon 13 (inorganic carbon)

And carbon 14 (radioactive carbon)

Currently there are no carbon 14 diamonds.
However there are carbon 13 and 12.

The purer the carbon (all 12 or all 13) the better the diamond performs.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

There is a few other technologies I am working on incorporating into the game.

Hydrophobic coatings (see ultra everdry)
D30 (non newtonian compond)
And aerogel (highly efficient insulation)

And pelletier coolers (thermoelectric generators) have an added bonus as well, the can convert heat into energy and they can be used as a cooling system.

Just FYI for those interested in the tech I am looking to add back to earth.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

I will update this as I develop the story.

There are many races from around the multiverse.

The most common are human, d-bee, and mutants from lone star and other refugees from CS conquests.

Most anything from earth "could" be found in the co-op.

There will be more "notable" characters from different races and occ/rcc.

Most of the notable characters will be player created.

The easy story excuse is "The Coalition is becoming a problem and we need a place to build a resistance against and where they aren't interested in looking yet".

But time is an issue. As more people travel in and out of the area, eventually the CS will come knocking.

But it "looks" smaller because of how the groups dispersed.

But that won't last.

Most any occ/RCC and race that "can" be a player character could find themselves there. (After they leave the area of likely origins).

If you wish to contribute, and have tech, story, or rcc/occ that could fit naturally then feel free to chime in

idahobeef
D-Bee

Unread post by idahobeef »

Dont forget the Tri-Cities area, Richland, Pasco, and Kennewick, WA. Richland is the site of Hanford, where huge amounts of real life science is researched and develeoped. My sister works there and showed me some of the shocking RL science that could easily be transferred to Rifts. High energy physics, advanced weaponry, nuclear weapons, biological mastery, cures for diseases, and many other things are going on there as we speak. Over 5,000 high tech companies work in and around Hanford.
idahobeef
D-Bee

Unread post by idahobeef »

I live in this area and have all my life, if ANYPLACE is a sanctuary for survival, its Baker, Oregon. Located far from any major city, it is isolated but has tremendous agricultural output. Definately a bug out spot for any survivors.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

I am currently leaving the tri-cities open as an adventure point.

The biggest reason is it was a large population. And you will likely have tectonics and other psycic haunting entities there.

Hanford "could" be a nesting bed for alien and d-bee races that live in high radiation areas. (Assuming it didn't just melt down)

However spent uranium is a great ammunition for s
supernatural beings.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

idahobeef wrote:I live in this area and have all my life, if ANYPLACE is a sanctuary for survival, its Baker, Oregon. Located far from any major city, it is isolated but has tremendous agricultural output. Definately a bug out spot for any survivors.

Baker is close enough to La Grande and Ontario that it likely won't be forgotten long.

The list as made was for specific purposes.
Defense, food, and industry in a low population area that wouldn't be under water (like the valley is "claimed" to be.)

But building an area could be an adventure on it's own.

Between protecting workers clearly a road or trading good to defending the area from individuals upset at the expansion or trying to take advantage of a new settlement.
(Insert obvious Preston Garvey line here (Preston would wet himself if he lived in Rifts earth btw)

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

One thing I do want to include in the trade system is ISP and PPE transfer for services provided by magic users and psycic users.

Is there a TW or other tech to streamline the exchange? I know there are Crystal's for that but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

The idea is that isp/ppe is used to "pay" for various services (maybe even a bank for such a thing) that gives mage/psi users to have the benefit of having a cache of energy to do the job (with a little extra) and have plenty to spare for personal use.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

The Nimipu Preserve in Boise is the closest native group in the Co-op area. Ironically their motto is "to build a better world is through cooperation of "all men." There is an ongoing war with the Black-Winged Monster-Men.
Cyberfalcon and other heroes could provide a split front and add support to limit the black-winged monster men.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Talons Reach year 1:

Talons Reach is the central hub of trade and development.
It is a melting pot of humans, d-bees, Mutants, aliens, psychics, mages, men at arms, common folk, farmers, tradesmen, vagabonds, professionals, scientists and educated, and educators. With the various wars and objectives of the coalition, many people of all walks of life have decided it might be wiser to get out of the way, build a new foothold for a "decent" society, and scratch out an existence with fewer obstacles.

While the mix of individuals clash at time, each group gravitates towards groups with the most shared values.
Occasional brawls and fights break out between some, especially if they are from cultures and groups that have existing issues. Some of these "issues" have been exploited for entertainment and to limit loss of life and collateral damage. If there is a dispute or grudge then each week they take it to the ring and brawl it out. And as there is money involved to see the fights each takes a cut of the admission. In the event of uneven fights, remote drone robots fill in. Allowing combat skill to be the deciding factor. No fights to the death are had. However there are fights that decide who stays and who goes. Loser has to go to another community in cases where the 2 can't coexist. In the case of a crime against another, there is the challenge to combat. Which depending on the "crime" is satisfied by combat. Usually theft, or other non-violent crime is left to the ring. Assault and murder or other violent crimes are generally dealt with swiftly. It is far from perfect. But that's life anyway.
This "generally" keeps things relatively calm. It also has the benefit of allowing those with a craving to fight an additional outlet. Also its is good training for individuals with the drones to learn basic piloting skills.

There are many people willing to teach and train others in various professions and skills. (This Is where retiring a player character can come in handy here). There are teachers that teach reading, writing and math, Usually for a small fee to all ages willing and interested in learning.

Industry is predominantly agricultural and labor. Home building is in high demand, those with deeper pockets or the willingness to pay with ppe higher earth warlocks to build underground homes or domed housing. Farming Usually has high demand for individuals that can find water or make it rain or similar. Wheat, hemp, fruit trees and native trees of the region are being grown, as well as cattle and other life stock. Magic users have made life easier. And limit for technology relatively low. Men at arms have lots of work available, from defense of a settlement or farm, to escorts.

The men of science have been working on new options to technology and fuel. Some digging up old technology like ethanol and bio plastics using plant fibers. Operators and other mechanical oriented characters are being left to rebuilding mills and food processing plants.
As well as water purification and treatment.

Healers are setting up both hospitals and a mobile response unit for the region. Talons Reach holds the largest portion of the health technology (largely due to those against unnatural healing) Some scientists with biology and any understanding of how to study any physiological are working to provide other health systems like bionics, cybernetics, and genetics among other things.

Many of the more "nomadic" and adventuring groups have many opportunities to find excitement, like dog boy and wolfen have created smaller packs that roam the forests and mountains. Some individuals have created groups that go exploring the old ruins of the larger old world ruins.

There is no "black market" however many farmers will trade for other food stuff. Or equipment. Which for many adventures might be a bit lacking. A lot of work and trade might only be for food and shelter. But considering that most arrived with nothing and was little more than a refuge camp, it is a step up.
Though individuals with ingenuity and inventiveness have managed to provided adventures tools and equipment they need. Currently techno wizards and magic users that can make equipment are doing very well.

As quality of life improves and the fight to survive lowers, more issues will arise. Tools and weapons are limited, However there is opportunity to get more as life moves from daily survival to looking for creature comforts.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Year 2:

The tent cities and "refugee" camp feel is beginning to fade, as sod style domed homes and "shelters" begin dotting the landscape. Evidence of mining and excavation of pre-rifts towns begin. Small shops offering handmade goods, repaired salvage or bars and restaurants are available.
The communities are beginning to gel and coalesce. The various communities feeling more like old west than a post apocalyptic menagerie of life.

Orchards, farms, and Vineyards are taking shape, with food processing and canning beginning to reach higher production volume.
1 wood mill has been repaired and is now fully operational and producing lumber. Individuals with woodworking skills are beginning to make furniture and crafts.
Fabric, food, and fuel is beginning to be made from hemp plants.

The hospital is beginning to move from an ER type service to more life improvements and care.

Dr. Wilder has managed to acquire a GN6-96 skyhawk after answering a distress call from a tundra cavalry unit that landed in twin falls after a mission to help fight back xiticix from pushing further west. The pilot was on an extraction of his unit and was followed by a group of xiticix hunters. They were all in rough shape, however their medic was the worst off and needed the most medical attention. Dr. Wilder answered the distress call with assistance from a bored juicer with a fast sky bike. She got them patched up and on their way. For saving their butts they gave her the skyhawk it was in serious disrepair but able to limp her and the juicer home. It was made air worthy and she made it her medical transport. The tundra rangers have taken up a posting in mountain home near the Nimipu tribe and offered support. And is the most southwestern tundra outpost of the tundra rangers it has been a benefit to them as they have new recruits and gain a foothold to fight the xiticix from.

Trade with the Nimipu and some of the more tolerant nomadic tribes has began. The relationship is uneasy, but as more men at arms and adventurers lend their skills to help fight the Black-wing monster men, it improves.

3 prominent individuals from the Dinosaur swamp arrived with a dozen new saplings and a ton of soil. In the Hope of transplanting the young trees in the area. (As the seeds won't grow on their own). Dr. Sterling (rogue scientist) who is a botanist and horticulturist, as well as E'lana a barbarian eco-wizard and her husband K'gan a Barbarian.
After much study and research Dr. Sterling was able to learn that while seeds of the steel wood tree cannot germinate without the adult tree due to a key mineral that the leaves of the adult steel tree puts back into the soil a sapling over 30 inches can continue to grow after transplant.

Dr. Sterling convinced the barbarians that he could create a new forest. They agreed to help Dr. Sterling gather 24 saplings and 5 tons of soils and head west. He didn't expect to find any settlements but was mildly relieved. As the 3 on their own may not have been able to protect the saplings on their own for long.

Currently the trees are in several secure mdc green houses under the protection of the barbarians and the care of Dr. Sterling and E'lana. (It will take 1d4+2 years before the first 24 trees are fully grown, and will take 1 year to learn if the trees pollinate and reproduce. (E'lana has brought a pair of young mated Azhure to help in the pollination and seeding)

Cyberfalcon has left with a cosmo-knight and a handful of adventurers including a super-human speedster, Cyborg headhunter, Ley line walker, and a "feral" dog boy.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Year 3

Talons Reach has had the most significant changes, most dwellings have access to running clean water, power, and food

Trade is limited to nomadic groups and nimipu. However the increase in food, salvage and handcrafted items has brought in traders from other neighboring areas.

A manufacturing plant has been uncovered as well as a wool mill. As well as an RV factory. Several centers with computer centers have also been uncovered, efforts to uncover the data and purpose is in progress.

Drones and exo-frames are being built in limited quantities for labor use. A few dozen Golems have also been made for defense in town (largely at night and early morning) as late night raids and theft have begun to increase.

The much of the NWC is still without water and power but that number is steadily shrinking.

Talons reach has created an official Militia and is working to build its numbers and get them trained and organized.

Cyberfalcon and company are still away.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Year 4

Earth warlocks and those with access to ironwood have begun working with tailors and cabinet makers to begin making highly crafted mdc armor for members of the militia.
They are specifically built and designed for each individuals taste and size. the recipient is charged for the creation through ppe. They must contribute the ppe + 40% more.

The armor is otherwise just armor. However with the craftsmanship can can be much lighter an much more ornate.
Currently the material needed to create environmental armor is limited. Currently each outfit takes 2d4+1 week on average.

An unusual old man apparently in his 80's with a huge gash across his chest was brought in and was cared for by the medical staff. But no one seems to know the man. He is a mystery. He has no residence or much in possessions. He however seems to me a minor magic user at the very least.
Hie says his name is Wyll'am. It has caused some speculation.
He has sat and told tall tales of traveling the world, witnessing the power of Neeman and giants of silver and thunder and silver winged iron champions.

Work has been slow but massive clay deposits were located 164 miles south of them. This is a major step in beginning to creating mdc plating without magical means.

Cyber returned with his companions. Many bringing equipment and items that can improve life vastly. Medical equipment, tools, and allies.

With the return of the group, a new building is being constructed... strictly from stone under the one ley line passing under them. An atlantian name Adrian is the builder.

Another new face and curiosity is a machine person cyber calls "scrapper" who has brought his partner and child. It is suggested scrapper isn't his name. His spouse is called Ama, which she claims is short for Amaryllis. A name of an earth flower.

The Black Winged monster men have grown bolder and started attacking in larger numbers, though with the return of the group and some oddly timed intervention from a being as yet unidentified, has managed to stymie their attacks. A plan is now being made to try freeing the slaves they have, the group they are currently battling are from the ruines 79 miles north of talons reach.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Update: the major leyline runs southwest to northeast through Crater lake through gold hill and up to Calgary about 1900 miles long. I believe that there is a minor leyline nexus in goldhill (AKA the vortex).

If you need a visual, go to Google maps and get directions from Crater lake Oregon, stop at Gold hill Oregon, to Calgary Canada. You can see it clearly passes umatilla county and morrow (bulk of the Co-op) and tri-cities.

There may be another batch of leylines along the coastal range.

A handful of scouts as well as a leyline walker and the stone mage Atlantian will be heading toward "vortex" to confirm.
387 miles.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

However to get to any of those states one would have to cross the Rockies which is apparently impassable. Has anything come up recently in canon changing that?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As I am aware yes. As the bandito arms operates out of area 51 on the other side of the rockies

Also as noted on page 35 of CW aftermath: oregon, Washington and California are options.

"Only the most adventurous consider it."

Which considering the genocidal slant of the coalition in regards to the tolkenese could push many. (largely out of desperation as many smaller kingdoms won't want the wrath of the CS on them.)

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

One stat i neglected:

Population of the Co-op is No more than 2000 (two thousand) at year 4.

The first year: roughly 275 were the first to arrive.
Over the course of the total 4 years teams of adventurers and empathizes helped lead more to the area. There was already nomadic dogboys and mutant experiments (roughly 250) in the general area.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Mining and ore/minerals

To save time and space here is a list of mining commodities in oregon.
https://thediggings.com/usa/oregon/commodities
This does not include random rift underground deposits.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As was suggested by another member I have been reading up on the rifter books to expand on the story and details surrounding the NWC. And I have new information that might help GM's utilize the setting.

Sherwood park (Rifter 75 page: 90) outside Edmonton Alberta Canada. About 10 days walk from talons reach. (Likely 14 with rest and caution)

As it happens Sherwood knows about Talons Reach and The Northwest Co-op thanks in part to the Tundra rangers.

However The NWC as a whole does NOT know about Sherwood Park. However there is likely some scouting, spying and other Chicanery a foot trying to see what the new neighbors are all about.

This could cause issues depending or create a new partnership with shared goals (the CS is Bad!). But that is up to the players and GM. But no matter what NWC is Currently clueless of Sherwood. And unless something changes that shouldn't happen without just cause.

On another aspect it would take "roughly" 45 days to walk from coast to coast without interruption (beyond rest/sleep). This is including detours.

Additional groups operating in the northwest:
There is a tribe of Vulblud (rifter 51 page 53)

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

List of tech in development from Talons Reach.

Nanocellulose armors:.
possible basis for plastic man armor
Aerogels

Carbon based tech
Fuels
Concrete
Batteries
Electronic components
Armor
Nuclear diamond batteries

Latex/rubber from native weeds such as dandelion, milkweed and thistle as well as ferns could create a small but easily renewable source of rubber.

With ingenuity a composite armor system could be created.
Add in ironwood armor and a laminate composite armor could be developed.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Possible adventures to be had.

Free the slaves:
The black winged monster men operating out of the old tri-city ruins have raided the area taking slaves. Thankfully the black winged monster men operate in small encampments. (2d6+2 per pack).

They have 15 confirmed slaves with the potential for more.

The hook: contract, friend relative, or your team was the one that failed to prevent the kidnapping.

(Spirit west has black winged monster men stats)

Remember half the fun is getting there.

The area is largely. virgin territory. Largely unexplored and untapped resource. There may be tectonics or other entities. GM's are encouraged to utilize random encounters.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

One of the most mineral rich areas is Joseph Oregon. 41 miles northeast of La Grande.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

With the minion war cyber has went and bargained for manufacturer equipment and additional mining equipment.

CCW has seen the benefits of assisting earth. Even if not in an outright armed response. They have sent a team of humans (to prevent more problems) to work as a strike force to assist in fighting the demons. (Weapons/armor will be earth equipment)

The CCW has also agreed to allow a trade agreement between the NWC and the bushido. Materials for manufacturing and mining equipment.

The bushido have granted the NWC the use of the equipment in exchange for 100 million credits of material.

This is a long term agreement.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

First run body armor will be ironwood/nanocellulose/plant polymer/steel composite plate (non environmental) it is a light armor comparable to plastic man in physical mdc/prowl.

This is an early first run armor. Expect improvements.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

In the process of making diamonds cyber recreated graphine (look it up) allowing for the creation of a light weight durable armor plating. 1/32 of an inch thick, flexible and light weight.

The armor panels are naturally clear (can be painted with mdc paint to add 5 more mdc.

These will be added to an mdc jumpsuit the helmet and jump suit will provide environmental protection.
With filters and can have an additional systems added.

The armor can be adapted to exo-power armor frames like the ATPA 85.

A project to create a light exo-frame is in progress.

MDC 80 (with jumpsuit)
Weight 10
Prowl: -5%

This is the lightest armor currently.

Heavier armor with greater protection will be added.

As the tech is developed new armors will be made

(As a bonus of using carbon based technology as well as organic plastics, The NWC can part with more of its minerals.)

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

New mdc laminates of quartz glass, graphine, and diamond are being made for vehicle and structural use.

Providing mdc of 50 to vehicle glass.

Upgrade cost: 25,000 credits, or trade for items or services
Not available east of the Rockies (yet).

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

The expedition to the vortex has been eventful

Mutated hemp was found along the leyline that was much more hearty than its pre-rifts ancestors.
(Since KS didn't do it himself I will)
The plant is light mdc (10 mdc to cut a branch and 20 for the main stalk)

The expedition is bringing several samples back.
There are other varieties of the plant though the effects of the plant i leave for those more interested in such things)

The vortex is a land of magical and elemental creatures. Though inexplicably there are human from other times and places (HU universe? After the bomb? Beyond the supernatural ect) as well as mutants and other aliens.
(10 thousand beings in the area).

The city is a mosaic of different architecture and design. Surprisingly the nexus has a millennium tree (young and small compared to others in the world)

According to the lore the millennium tree is about 300 years old. However many creatures and beings that have been dumped on this plane of existence eventually found refuge with the tree.

Over 200 years the area was built around the millennium tree.

DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

My first impression is that this area is clearly the result of your personal games, with Cyber being your character. The entire series of posts being some kind of history of your adventures in building this area. The number of things that have been accomplished, particularly the links with Phase World give the kingdom had a bit of a Mary Sue feel to it, but that's to be expected as I suspect it came a result of real adventures that you put time and effort into. If I were to adapt this to into my games I would replace any connection to Phase World with some kind of link and trade with the ocean city of Tritonia and New Navy colonies.

Mark Hall's early comments were right, that you need to have some more significant direct threats in the area to make the setting more interesting. Something that would threaten the existence of this coop confederation more than some random encounters with wild mutant fish, bandits, and rumors of a dragon. The black winged monster men in Idaho seem more interesting though, I had never really noticed them in the spirit west book before.

One idea really popped into my mind quickly when I was thinking about different possible threats to the area, and that is Cultist of the Lord of the Deep. World Book 7 says that they are active along the western coast of America with entire villages and towns being corrupted by them. More than just an external threat, I think it would be an interesting addition to include an internal threat to the Coop. I thought of an adventure hooks for your group or other people who play with in this area with your NPC's.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

DD The Shmey wrote:My first impression is that this area is clearly the result of your personal games, with Cyber being your character. The entire series of posts being some kind of history of your adventures in building this area. The number of things that have been accomplished, particularly the links with Phase World give the kingdom had a bit of a Mary Sue feel to it, but that's to be expected as I suspect it came a result of real adventures that you put time and effort into. If I were to adapt this to into my games I would replace any connection to Phase World with some kind of link and trade with the ocean city of Tritonia and New Navy colonies.

Mark Hall's early comments were right, that you need to have some more significant direct threats in the area to make the setting more interesting. Something that would threaten the existence of this coop confederation more than some random encounters with wild mutant fish, bandits, and rumors of a dragon. The black winged monster men in Idaho seem more interesting though, I had never really noticed them in the spirit west book before.

One idea really popped into my mind quickly when I was thinking about different possible threats to the area, and that is Cultist of the Lord of the Deep. World Book 7 says that they are active along the western coast of America with entire villages and towns being corrupted by them. More than just an external threat, I think it would be an interesting addition to include an internal threat to the Coop. I thought of an adventure hooks for your group or other people who play with in this area with your NPC's.

Threats are being fleshed out.

Currently I have a few like black winged monster men.

But at the moment it is largely unknown what Else is here.

I think random encounters, entities, and a few other "creatures" that are also on the run.

But the idea was a 2 fold.
1 retired heroes and new hero starting ground (non-coalition/established cities) and a story players could take part in building as well as a place for characters to live between adventures.

I imagine you could include minions. Wars and a secret staging ground for any number of organized races/groups
Last edited by Hawk258 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

Here is my idea:

There are secret cults worshiping the lord of the deep operating in McNary, Boardman, and Arlington, with new branches forming in other settlements along the Columbia River. The public face of these cults is a small but growing religion that worships a seemingly benevolent sea goddess, and has several priests that perform healing services and such. Most of the followers of the sea goddess don't know that there is a darker side to the religion. This beautiful sea goddess, who is claimed to be a daughter of Poseidon , is in reality a particularly powerful Malestorm Maker (see Coalition Navy pg 107) living in the Columbia River in the Tri-City area right near where the Snake river breaks off. The monster itself is a servant of the lord of the deep and has an essence fragment of his master which makes her more powerful. It has 1800 MDC, 590 PPE, and can call upon dozens of Devil Sharks, Sea Dopplegangers, and Cultist Sea Witch's that live in and around the river to aid her. If given time it can raise a small army of scores of these creatures, as well as a few Monster Naut'Yll with equipment.

Half of the towns of Mc Nary, and Boardman now pray to the sea goddess, as well as 25% of the people in Arlington. What's more, the entire leadership of Mc Nary has been converted into true Cultists of the Deep (the one that wouldn't convert has gone 'missing'), and the postmaster in Boardman has been replaced with a cultist.

The priests (sea witches) of the sea goddess often give out small trinkets and charms made of sea shells carved into the rough shape of an octopus, sometimes appearing to hold a trident, other times with the face of a beautiful lady goddess. These charms are minor magical amulets (see amulet spell) that grant a +1 save vs magic and psychic attacks, and a +2 save vs HF, however they secretly also give a -2 save vs magic and psychic attacks made by followers of the lord of the deep, and those who carry them are much more vulnerable to "the calling" from the Lord. When the next calling does come, most of these people will give in and be drawn to become true cultist, but the lord is waiting until the religion spreads throughout the region.

Now here is the real kicker for you Hawk 258, ... the good doctor Rose Wilder has became quite fond and protective of her new charm necklace, that her long time trusted friend had given to her, and now she is beginning to have dreams and visions of a beautiful sea goddess. Remember, this Malestorm Maker is a smart one, and won't give anything away that it has any ill intentions, and won't allow the true nature of the cult to be discovered. There aren't any Sea Inquisitors around yet, because the cultist have chosen their converts wisely, and chosen those who they were sure would be susceptible to corruption.

It will make the game all the more dramatic if you have some of the trusted NPC's or even primary characters (former PC's) already be active members within the cult.

Return to “Rifts®”