Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Re: We Gots The Skills
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Priest

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
agree with SG. Is this what happens when I leave you guys alone too long?

Well, I had to do SOMETHING! Calibrating the damage ranges for W.P. Tiddleywinks was taking too long!

Have you considered a section on choking damage, if you manage to get one into a target's throat?

With a manhole cover?!

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
taalismn wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:

Well, I had to do SOMETHING! Calibrating the damage ranges for W.P. Tiddleywinks was taking too long!
Tiddlywinks would have a range based on strength, just like any thrown weapon, though wouldn't they just hit it with their finger? The character using that would have to have a really good strength and/or speed. I can see a metal tiddlywink doing some impressive damage, especially if sharpened.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:

Have you considered a section on choking damage, if you manage to get one into a target's throat?

With a manhole cover?!

For when used against giants, or those with giant/growth powers.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Priest

I'll consider the trick shot then if I seriously consider the W.P..(which I initially introduced as a reference to a Gordon K. Dickson story where an alien species practices the use of spoons and tiddlywinks....turns out they use giant spoons to hurl acid at opponents, and they use manhole cover-sized metal and stone disks tiddlywink-style as projectiles. As ridiculous as it may sound, it also has to be taken in the context that the locals are fighting the Hoka, teddybear-like aliens who epitomize 'zany' themselves). :P

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
I'll consider the trick shot then if I seriously consider the W.P..(which I initially introduced as a reference to a Gordon K. Dickson story where an alien species practices the use of spoons and tiddlywinks....turns out they use giant spoons to hurl acid at opponents, and they use manhole cover-sized metal and stone disks tiddlywink-style as projectiles. As ridiculous as it may sound, it also has to be taken in the context that the locals are fighting the Hoka, teddybear-like aliens who epitomize 'zany' themselves). :P

I shall have to find and read that story.
Also my responses were tongue-in-cheek, however manhole cover projectiles seems like a fantastic idea to me that needs to be expanded on, in honour of the old TMNT game if nothing else.
:mrgreen:

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Priest

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:

I shall have to find and read that story.
Also my responses were tongue-in-cheek, however manhole cover projectiles seems like a fantastic idea to me that needs to be expanded on, in honour of the old TMNT game if nothing else.
:mrgreen:

Manhole covers most likely ideally come under the W.P. Frisbee if you've got a great enough strength. Then again, with enough size/power/strength, ANYTHING can become a projectile weapon(W.P. Thrown) .

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:10 am

Hero

Multi-weapon grip, you can hold more than 1 weapon in the same hand!
Skill chance is 34 +3%/level
If you fail the roll you take appropriate damage or 1 point per weapon unless your maga-damage & using maga-damage weapons.
What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
abe wrote:
If you fail the roll you take appropriate damage or 1 point per weapon unless your maga-damage & using maga-damage weapons.
What do you think?
Not possible to fire both at once, so no, not going to allow it in my games even if someone did actually write up the skill appropriately.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
What do you think?
Not possible to fire both at once, so no, not going to allow it in my games even if someone did actually write up the skill appropriately.
I agree. I've never seen anyone try this, ever.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
What do you think?

It just allows you to hold more than 1 weapon in your hand! Not necessarily use them sillies.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
What do you think?

It just allows you to hold more than 1 weapon in your hand! Not necessarily use them sillies.
So really just a pointless skill.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 am

Explorer

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
What do you think?

That's not even a skill. Why would you hold 2 weapons if you cant use them?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
the only use I could see is to throw multiple items very fast from the hand, but draw and throw is one action for small items anyway. Its not a skill to me. Juggling is pretty close and already in the book.

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Priest

And if you're not using the items specified as 'weapons', but just holding them, why bother specifically saying weapons at all? Why not, say, -anything-, like wine glasses, or mops, or frisbees, or donuts(all of which could technically be weapons, depending on how you use them).
How about ANVILS? If I say I'm using anvils as weapons, can I hold more than one in my hand?
How about bazookas? Can I hold more than one bazooka in my hand? They're DEFINITELY weapons.

No. Because simply holding things would be more a measure of Physical Strength(Carrying) and/or Physical Prowess(Balancing). Neither of which is reflected in the multi-grip description.
If I'm actually constantly shifting things in my hand, then that's , as has been noted, -juggling-.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

I took it to mean modern weapons and the ability to fire two at once, which would be impossible due to the kick most weapons have. You would break your hand. As far as ancient and melee weapons, yeah, juggling. I don't think you can throw multiple knives at once which would be the only multi-grip thing I can think of.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 am

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I took it to mean modern weapons and the ability to fire two at once, which would be impossible due to the kick most weapons have. You would break your hand. As far as ancient and melee weapons, yeah, juggling. I don't think you can throw multiple knives at once which would be the only multi-grip thing I can think of.

Well, maybe Batman; he's been shown on a number of occasions to accurately throw multiple Batarangs from between his fingers, but that would count as a good W.P. Small, Thrown proficiency.

But since it's been further defined by the author as simply HOLDING, well, that can be tested easily enough....try holding several pens between your fingers, then throwing them one at a time. Easy enough, and I didn't have to train myself specially to do that.
Now try holding two water pistols in one hand...or rather, full-scaled and weighted airlift pistols to approximate real firearms....It can be done if you dangle one from your little finger....but again, no special skill is needed. Holding them like you were meaning to use them as designed? That doesn't require a new skill, it requires mutant-long fingers, or smaller pistols.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Now try holding two water pistols in one hand...or rather, full-scaled and weighted airlift pistols to approximate real firearms....It can be done if you dangle one from your little finger....but again, no special skill is needed. Holding them like you were meaning to use them as designed? That doesn't require a new skill, it requires mutant-long fingers, or smaller pistols.
I'm sure someone would try to fire two powerful handguns with one hand and the recoil would break their fingers. No skill is going to compensate for that.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:
I'm sure someone would try to fire two powerful handguns with one hand and the recoil would break their fingers. No skill is going to compensate for that.

D-bees or people with reinforced bones and joints, but that's a feat of physique, not a skill.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

D-bees or people with reinforced bones and joints, but that's a feat of physique, not a skill.
Hmmm, I'm wondering now if anyone has done a reinforced joints power.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
[
Hmmm, I'm wondering now if anyone has done a reinforced joints power.[/quote]

Eugenics superpowers has reinforced skeleton as an option; you get extra damage on punches and your bones are harder to break.
Same for reinforced endoskeleton from bionic enhancement.
You just need to limit the enhancement/Implants to the knuckles and wrist.
Reconfigurable Hands might make for a good Minor superpower, if somebody hasn't already done it.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Reconfigurable Hands might make for a good Minor superpower, if somebody hasn't already done it.
Not that I'm aware of.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Thing is, if you had such a power and used it to grow an extra, opposing hand from the same wrist, you could then hold two pistols side by side and fire them, or hold two swords, but I'd make the argument for that being a variant form of Multiple Limbs, with an automatic addition of WP Paired Weapons.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 am

Adventurer

Freakshow has that mutation, so there's precedent

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Thing is, if you had such a power and used it to grow an extra, opposing hand from the same wrist, you could then hold two pistols side by side and fire them, or hold two swords, but I'd make the argument for that being a variant form of Multiple Limbs, with an automatic addition of WP Paired Weapons.
I already did a power somewhat like what you are describing, called Doublehanded. http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... ublehanded

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Priest

Ah, then between Freakshow and Doublehandedness, the subject is well-covered. :bandit:

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Ah, then between Freakshow and Doublehandedness, the subject is well-covered. :bandit:
You might even say we have it well in hand. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Adventurer

hiyooooo

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

...I roll Amazing Nate's Facepalm skill....

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

...I roll Amazing Nate's Facepalm skill....

Woot!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
[
Woot!

Yep, near- failed and almost wound up doing the 'bowling ball grip' on my face. Then I remembered what my stated reaction to bad puns was, and I started polishing the flame-thrower.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 am

Hero

Primitive cooking-perquisite-cooking
You can cook using primitive cooking methods
Base chance-16+iq% +4%\level
Special you gain +12% if you have literacy as you can read up on other primitive cooking methods.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:
Primitive cooking-perquisite-cooking
You can cook using primitive cooking methods
Base chance-16+iq% +4%\level
Special you gain +12% if you have literacy as you can read up on other primitive cooking methods.
This would be included under regular cooking, unless you can specify what you mean by primitive methods. You don't specify what you mean by that.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Priest

But wouldn't primitive cooking methods pre-date literacy? Since they belong to the era of oral tradition?
Then why don't ALL skills benefit from taking literacy since you can read up about them?
That implies that we're missing an entire untapped realm of bonuses since you could actually READ about things and learn how to do them better!!!!!!

And what's the first method that doesn't benefit from the +12% bonus like the other primitive methods?

And if I stick a marshmallow on a twig and hold it over a fire, am I using a Modern or a Primitive cooking skill?
This gets confusing. :-?

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
But wouldn't primitive cooking methods pre-date literacy? Since they belong to the era of oral tradition?
Then why don't ALL skills benefit from taking literacy since you can read up about them?
That implies that we're missing an entire untapped realm of bonuses since you could actually READ about things and learn how to do them better!!!!!!

And what's the first method that doesn't benefit from the +12% bonus like the other primitive methods?

And if I stick a marshmallow on a twig and hold it over a fire, am I using a Modern or a Primitive cooking skill?
This gets confusing. :-?
There should be a Me Not Dumb skill bonus you get for not having your head up your posterior end then. But seriously, shouldn't primitive methods of cooking get a bonus for having WP blunt so you can bash your food over the head. By that logic, all cooking skills should get a bonus if you have a Hunting skill.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Hero

Your right:ignore the literacy bonus.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Priest

abe wrote:
Your right:ignore the literacy bonus.

Still doesn't solve the issue of defining what 'primitive' cooking is.
If I cook meat over an open flame, it doesn't matter if I'm using a modern gas grill in my backyard or a pile of driftwood and charcoal on the beach. I burn it, it's inedible.
Same for boiling water in a stainless steel kettle or in a soapstone pot.
And I HAVE boiled water over birthday candles during the aftermath of a hurricane and resultant power outage.
Hell, cooking shellfish in a pit is done nowadays after centuries of traditional clambakes. It's not considered a 'primitive' style.

I'd just consider different styles of cooking, be they defined by culture or time, as specializations of cuisine and treat them accordingly, not meriting a specific 'primitive' skill.

And if you're talking raw foods...well, I'd rule that under Wilderness Survival, Preserve Food, Identify Fruits and Plants, and Skin and Prepare Animal Hides...all existing and much better defined skills.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Plus if the cooking is that primitive it begs the question of whether it should even require a skill roll.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Plus if the cooking is that primitive it begs the question of whether it should even require a skill roll.

It's the Sulawesi vs the Lascaux schools of Paleolithic Raw Cuisine. Very important to make the distinction between the two and others, besides the geography.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

It's the Sulawesi vs the Lascaux schools of Paleolithic Raw Cuisine. Very important to make the distinction between the two and others, besides the geography.
I'm just saying that next you'll want a skill check to boil water.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Adventurer

to me, that's all part of Survival.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Priest

zerombr wrote:
to me, that's all part of Survival.

At home and in the field.

Of course, though, with some gas ranges, you might wanna have a skill roll for Operate Gas Stove, the way some houses have been exploding...

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------