We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Didnt the 'BS detector' skill show up in the new rifts sovietski book? I think its a class skill. 'Used to being fed propaganda so developed a sense of when they're being sold a loaf' or something to that effect. Healthy sense of paranoia skill...
I don't know, don't have that book.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Didnt the 'BS detector' skill show up in the new rifts sovietski book? I think its a class skill. 'Used to being fed propaganda so developed a sense of when they're being sold a loaf' or something to that effect. Healthy sense of paranoia skill...

"The Computer is Your Friend. The Computer has Only Your Best Interests to Compute. Friend Computer Says Destroy Yourself." :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Badseed007
Newb

Unread post by Badseed007 »

There are a lot of cool skill ideas in this topic. But I would argue that the Palladium system has too many skills, not too few. I mean, some of these get so far down in the weeds that surprised there isn't a "Tie Left Shoe" and "Tie Right Shoe" skill.

So my friends and I houseruled a new skill system. It significantly cuts down on character creation time. The link is below for anyone who wants to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwh7aq3qvzriqj1/New%20Palladium%20Skills%20System.docx?dl=0

Enjoy!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Badseed007 wrote:I mean, some of these get so far down in the weeds that surprised there isn't a "Tie Left Shoe" and "Tie Right Shoe" skill.

Dont be absurd! You dont need two skills for that, you only need one Tie Shoe skill with modifies based on the dominant side. Observe:

Tie Shoes
Most sentients who have feet, and footwear in their culture, learn how to tie shoes at a young age, and it is second nature to them, mechanically speaking never needing a skill roll (though that does not always prevent failure, particularly when inebriated). However that does not mean that there is not a time when this skill may be needed. Sometimes a sentient from a culture without footwear becomes trapped in an area that does, or more so, requires footwear. Sometimes the mind of a being without feet may get transferred into a body that does, and needs footwear. Or sometimes something terrible happens, and one loses a hand, or an arm, and has to re-learn how to tie their shoes in a completely different manner. This skill is here to represent that. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience. There is a +15% to tie the shoe of one’s dominant side (Right, or Left), or a +10% bonus to both sides if ambidextrous. If a character also possesses the Wardrobe and Grooming skill then add a +5% bonus to this skill. Penalties: A lost, disabled, or temporarily missing hand or arm, inflicts a -20% penalty to this skill, unless this skill is taken again to represent retraining in how to tie one’s shoes in a manner accounting for the missing limb (those born with only one limb do not receive this penalty, but become unable to tie their shoes if they lose the other limb).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
Badseed007 wrote:I mean, some of these get so far down in the weeds that surprised there isn't a "Tie Left Shoe" and "Tie Right Shoe" skill.

Dont be absurd! You dont need two skills for that, you only need one Tie Shoe skill with modifies based on the dominant side. Observe:

Tie Shoes
Most sentients who have feet, and footwear in their culture, learn how to tie shoes at a young age, and it is second nature to them, mechanically speaking never needing a skill roll (though that does not always prevent failure, particularly when inebriated). However that does not mean that there is not a time when this skill may be needed. Sometimes a sentient from a culture without footwear becomes trapped in an area that does, or more so, requires footwear. Sometimes the mind of a being without feet may get transferred into a body that does, and needs footwear. Or sometimes something terrible happens, and one loses a hand, or an arm, and has to re-learn how to tie their shoes in a completely different manner. This skill is here to represent that. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience. There is a +15% to tie the shoe of one’s dominant side (Right, or Left), or a +10% bonus to both sides if ambidextrous. If a character also possesses the Wardrobe and Grooming skill then add a +5% bonus to this skill. Penalties: A lost, disabled, or temporarily missing hand or arm, inflicts a -20% penalty to this skill, unless this skill is taken again to represent retraining in how to tie one’s shoes in a manner accounting for the missing limb (those born with only one limb do not receive this penalty, but become unable to tie their shoes if they lose the other limb).

"For want of a nail, the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe, the horse was lost-"
Good response to the challenge. :ok:
Have a weaponized kitten.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

13eowulf wrote:

Tie Shoes
What skill category does this fall into? Domestic?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Tie Shoes
What skill category does this fall into? Domestic?

I would put it in domestic yes.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

And/Or Technical....plus maybe roll with bonuses against being mentally thrown by velcro laces.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:And/Or Technical....plus maybe roll with bonuses against being mentally thrown by velcro laces.

I considered also calling it a Cultural skill, in a more megaversal sense.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:And/Or Technical....plus maybe roll with bonuses against being mentally thrown by velcro laces.

Given that extensions of Shoelace Tying might include Sandal Lacing, Legging Wrapping, and Foot Winding? Yes.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:Now just imagine the sort of game where a GM would actually ALLOW those skills to be taken....and USED.

Or maybe pity the GM.

"Let's see, the last ten NPCs who approached us all tried to sell us a line of patter to go do something insanely stupid and dangerous, but between the three f us we saw right through the BS and saw it for what it was...an attempt to lure us into great danger for little reward. Obviously, the GM is itching to try out the new world book with ourselves as the guinea pigs for the new monsters."
"I didn't know you had genre-savvy."
"I do. Right here at the bottom of my character sheet."
"QUIT METAGAMING ME!!!!!"
"Made your roll for savvy too."
"Nah, that was my psychology roll. If I'd made my genre roll, the GM would be obliged to let me look at his game plan notes."

Sounds like someone has read Order of the Stick a lot.
The whole "internal metagaming" thing after all is totally OOTS
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Badseed007 wrote:There are a lot of cool skill ideas in this topic. But I would argue that the Palladium system has too many skills, not too few. I mean, some of these get so far down in the weeds that surprised there isn't a "Tie Left Shoe" and "Tie Right Shoe" skill.

So my friends and I houseruled a new skill system. It significantly cuts down on character creation time. The link is below for anyone who wants to use it.

What we're doing here is sort of subverted Chindogu---the Japanese art of creating things that initially LOOK useful, but, upon second glance, are revealed to be useLESS.

Here, it almost seems as if we try coming up with what are to most role-players, useless skills, but which contain some crumb or bonus of actual utility. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Given that extensions of Shoelace Tying might include Sandal Lacing, Legging Wrapping, and Foot Winding? Yes.

I would say it includes all such related of the above, and is merely named as-is due to colloquial usage of the phrase to refer to the fastening/securing of the popular footwear of the day or age.
It could conceivably be required for footwear of bygone or future era that vastly differ from those of a given character's "today".
For example, I double most millennials would be able to properly don the footwear popular in say 80 BC without training or a struggle of trial and error.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:[It could conceivably be required for footwear of bygone or future era that vastly differ from those of a given character's "today"..

"Remember what I told you; when you feel the power laces powering up, take a deep breath and let it out slowly, so as to counteract the sudden pressure-rush of blood from your lower extremities. This is important, because otherwise you might pass out putting on your boots. "
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:
Badseed007 wrote:There are a lot of cool skill ideas in this topic. But I would argue that the Palladium system has too many skills, not too few. I mean, some of these get so far down in the weeds that surprised there isn't a "Tie Left Shoe" and "Tie Right Shoe" skill.

What we're doing here is sort of subverted Chindogu---the Japanese art of creating things that initially LOOK useful, but, upon second glance, are revealed to be useLESS.

Here, it almost seems as if we try coming up with what are to most role-players, useless skills, but which contain some crumb or bonus of actual utility. :D

I've got a mighty need to play a pc (in a group of pc's no less) who's skill tree is 98-99% useless skills. Maybe 1 practical skill to keep them from a horrible sudden death. First aid, hth basic..something like that. Everything else... complete chindogu!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:[
I've got a mighty need to play a pc (in a group of pc's no less) who's skill tree is 98-99% useless skills. Maybe 1 practical skill to keep them from a horrible sudden death. First aid, hth basic..something like that. Everything else... complete chindogu!

Sounds like the Mystery Men....But if your sole useful skill is Spoonfighting, use it!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

A new skill, at random, just because.

Reverse Roll (Dice) – A Cultural, Domestic, and Technical skill
“With this ancient technique, invented by me, I can roll a 20 with this d20 99% of the time!” – A Player
This skill is a practiced technique of gripping then rolling a singular die, and having the practiced result come up. When this skill is selected a specific type of dice and face layout must be selected (Author’s Note: not all dice of the same type have the same layout, I am personally at the moment of this writing looking at two D6s, the top side is a 6, the front-facing side is a 5, the left side on the first is a 4, and the other is a 3), as well as choose a specific singular result, and a specific arm and hand to roll with (known as the character’s “Rolling Hand”. Injury to the rolling hand of any sort inflicts a -50% penalty to this skill. This skill may be taken multiple times to account for different dice types, and different results, as well as other arms/hands. This skill can only be applied when rolling a single die, not multiple dice at once, even if they are all of the specified type and layout. Upon reaching 3rd level in this skill the character can choose one specific dice that they frequently use to be their “Lucky Dice”, which, in actuality, is their most practiced die (not lucky), and rolling with it specifically adds a +10% to their success roll (not the result roll). Base Skill: 16% +4% per level/99%. The first percentage is the success roll, and represents the character successfully gripping and rolling the dice in the proper manner. The second percentage is result roll, and is fixed (it cannot be increased, not even with I.Q. bonuses or any other source). To use this technique a successful roll on the first percentage must be made. Then a roll on the second percentage is made to ensure that the desired result comes up. Unfortunately no matter how much practice and skill one has or develops, the dice will not always come up the desired way. Note: Casino (and other gambling establishment) employees are trained to look for those using such practiced techniques, and can spot such on a Perception roll of 8 or higher (and can tell the difference between skill use and ‘fancy’ or ‘lucky’ rolling/techniques). Four or more successful spots at a legal/reputable establishment will result in loss of privileges at dice games (at the minimum) but current winnings are frequently (but not always) retained. For an illegal or disreputable establishment it usually only takes two successful perception rolls, or less, for action to be taken. Such action is normally detrimental for those caught, and winnings are not retained. Second Note: This skill is for the character, and does not affect a player’s rolls... though many a player may lay claim to possessing this skill.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:A new skill, at random, just because.

Reverse Roll (Dice) – A Cultural, Domestic, and Technical skill.

I'd also consider this a Rogue skill, especially if you're shooting craps(or the equivalent thereof) :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Not sure if it’s been done before: punnery! You can make HORRIBLE puns that can (possibly) disorant a foe?
Skill chance is 45 +ma starting +3% after 1st level.
What do you think of this possible skill?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:Not sure if it’s been done before: punnery! You can make HORRIBLE puns that can (possibly) disorant a foe?
I think Awe Factor covers this. I don't think having any sort of skill in word play would actually disorient a foe.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:Not sure if it’s been done before: punnery! You can make HORRIBLE puns that can (possibly) disorant a foe?
I think Awe Factor covers this. I don't think having any sort of skill in word play would actually disorient a foe.

"What did he say?"
"I have no idea. I don't speak that language."
"It's just as well; I do, and he mangled the pronunciation."

"For butchering the Elosian language like that, I think I'll just kill you in some unspeakably horrible manner rather than waste time trying to correct your errors."

Pun-making is really a function of the Language skill anyway, so it's already covered. As for the effects of jokes? The Ludicrous Mage does it better anyway already with the roll for effect of a (non-magic)joke or gag.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Wp:pellet bow,mind you I’m not entirely sure how to stat this skill, but I figured that it would work similarly to the longbow wp skill.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:Wp:pellet bow,mind you I’m not entirely sure how to stat this skill, but I figured that it would work similarly to the longbow wp skill.
pretty sure you can just use the same WP you use for slings for this one.
taalismn
Priest

Sock-Matching(Domestic)
The art of being able to reunite pairs of socks run through the laundry. This skill teaches pattern recognition, emphasizes patience in sorting through batches of a dozen pairs or more of socks, and informs the student as to the various ways one of every pair of socks may stretch, shrink, tear, bleach, or discolor such as it will appear signifiicantly unlike its original mate. Roll once for every dozen pairs of socks in a laundry batch. A failed save roll the sorter has extra socks with no match, or has been moved to seriously consider disassembling the dryer and lint trap in search of any socks that might have possibly gotten stuck in the workings.
Base Skill: 30 % + 5% per level of experience.
Bonuses: +1 to M.E., +1 to save versus Insanity*

*Especially those insanities most associated with sock-sorting: Depression(“I’m never going to find socks that match...it’s hopeless.”), Mania(“I”M GOING TO FIND -ALL- THE OTHER SOCKS!!!!!”), Obsession (“I’m going to find the missing sock if it’s the last thing I do in this life.”), Paranoia(“Somebody or someTHING is stealing my socks.”) or any combination thereof(“I will kill whoever is hiding my socks for their own sadistic entertainment.”)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

taalismn wrote:Sock-Matching(Domestic)
The art of being able to reunite pairs of socks run through the laundry. This skill teaches pattern recognition, emphasizes patience in sorting through batches of a dozen pairs or more of socks, and informs the student as to the various ways one of every pair of socks may stretch, shrink, tear, bleach, or discolor such as it will appear signifiicantly unlike its original mate. Roll once for every dozen pairs of socks in a laundry batch. A failed save roll the sorter has extra socks with no match, or has been moved to seriously consider disassembling the dryer and lint trap in search of any socks that might have possibly gotten stuck in the workings.

*Especially those insanities most associated with sock-sorting: Depression(“I’m never going to find socks that match...it’s hopeless.”), Mania(“I”M GOING TO FIND -ALL- THE OTHER SOCKS!!!!!”), Obsession (“I’m going to find the missing sock if it’s the last thing I do in this life.”), Paranoia(“Somebody or someTHING is stealing my socks.”) or any combination thereof(“I will kill whoever is hiding my socks for their own sadistic entertainment.”)

There needs to be a similar skill to find the various remote controls that always go missing in the living room.
taalismn
Priest

Jack Burton wrote:[
There needs to be a similar skill to find the various remote controls that always go missing in the living room.

That can be broadened to include(but not limited to) car keys, wallets, and necessary paperwork.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I don't think we really need a skill for this. And how many people do you actually hear about who have gone insane sorting socks?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I don't think we really need a skill for this. And how many people do you actually hear about who have gone insane sorting socks?

Any parent who's kids are not yet old enough to do their own laundry....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't think we really need a skill for this. And how many people do you actually hear about who have gone insane sorting socks?

All part of a a preview of a new Palladium Books project....tentatively named The Real Life(you heard it here first). The new game's gotten good reviews already from the playtesters(long-sentence prisoners of the Coalition States penal system, the TransGalactic Empire's gulag colony system, and those Palladium fans who are currently enjoying the extended hospitality of the law).

And you don't hear about people going insane sorting socks. It's one of those social taboos people don't talk about. It's easier to say 'he went mad after losing his job', or 'she lost her mind dealing with a neighbor', than to admit 'the woolens drove him over the edge'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I agree with SG. Is this what happens when I leave you guys alone too long?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
taalismn
Priest

Gryphon Chick wrote: agree with SG. Is this what happens when I leave you guys alone too long?

Well, I had to do SOMETHING! Calibrating the damage ranges for W.P. Tiddleywinks was taking too long!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote: agree with SG. Is this what happens when I leave you guys alone too long?

Well, I had to do SOMETHING! Calibrating the damage ranges for W.P. Tiddleywinks was taking too long!

Have you considered a section on choking damage, if you manage to get one into a target's throat?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Have you considered a section on choking damage, if you manage to get one into a target's throat?

With a manhole cover?!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:

Tiddlywinks would have a range based on strength, just like any thrown weapon, though wouldn't they just hit it with their finger? The character using that would have to have a really good strength and/or speed. I can see a metal tiddlywink doing some impressive damage, especially if sharpened.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:

With a manhole cover?!

For when used against giants, or those with giant/growth powers.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

I'll consider the trick shot then if I seriously consider the W.P..(which I initially introduced as a reference to a Gordon K. Dickson story where an alien species practices the use of spoons and tiddlywinks....turns out they use giant spoons to hurl acid at opponents, and they use manhole cover-sized metal and stone disks tiddlywink-style as projectiles. As ridiculous as it may sound, it also has to be taken in the context that the locals are fighting the Hoka, teddybear-like aliens who epitomize 'zany' themselves). :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:I'll consider the trick shot then if I seriously consider the W.P..(which I initially introduced as a reference to a Gordon K. Dickson story where an alien species practices the use of spoons and tiddlywinks....turns out they use giant spoons to hurl acid at opponents, and they use manhole cover-sized metal and stone disks tiddlywink-style as projectiles. As ridiculous as it may sound, it also has to be taken in the context that the locals are fighting the Hoka, teddybear-like aliens who epitomize 'zany' themselves). :P

I shall have to find and read that story.
Also my responses were tongue-in-cheek, however manhole cover projectiles seems like a fantastic idea to me that needs to be expanded on, in honour of the old TMNT game if nothing else.
:mrgreen:
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
taalismn wrote:I'll consider the trick shot then if I seriously consider the W.P..(which I initially introduced as a reference to a Gordon K. Dickson story where an alien species practices the use of spoons and tiddlywinks....turns out they use giant spoons to hurl acid at opponents, and they use manhole cover-sized metal and stone disks tiddlywink-style as projectiles. As ridiculous as it may sound, it also has to be taken in the context that the locals are fighting the Hoka, teddybear-like aliens who epitomize 'zany' themselves). :P

I shall have to find and read that story.
Also my responses were tongue-in-cheek, however manhole cover projectiles seems like a fantastic idea to me that needs to be expanded on, in honour of the old TMNT game if nothing else.
:mrgreen:

Manhole covers most likely ideally come under the W.P. Frisbee if you've got a great enough strength. Then again, with enough size/power/strength, ANYTHING can become a projectile weapon(W.P. Thrown) .
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Multi-weapon grip, you can hold more than 1 weapon in the same hand!
Skill chance is 34 +3%/level
If you fail the roll you take appropriate damage or 1 point per weapon unless your maga-damage & using maga-damage weapons.
What do you think?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:Multi-weapon grip, you can hold more than 1 weapon in the same hand!
If you fail the roll you take appropriate damage or 1 point per weapon unless your maga-damage & using maga-damage weapons.
What do you think?
Not possible to fire both at once, so no, not going to allow it in my games even if someone did actually write up the skill appropriately.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
What do you think?
Not possible to fire both at once, so no, not going to allow it in my games even if someone did actually write up the skill appropriately.
I agree. I've never seen anyone try this, ever.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
What do you think?

It just allows you to hold more than 1 weapon in your hand! Not necessarily use them sillies.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
What do you think?

It just allows you to hold more than 1 weapon in your hand! Not necessarily use them sillies.
So really just a pointless skill.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
What do you think?

That's not even a skill. Why would you hold 2 weapons if you cant use them?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

the only use I could see is to throw multiple items very fast from the hand, but draw and throw is one action for small items anyway. Its not a skill to me. Juggling is pretty close and already in the book.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
taalismn
Priest

And if you're not using the items specified as 'weapons', but just holding them, why bother specifically saying weapons at all? Why not, say, -anything-, like wine glasses, or mops, or frisbees, or donuts(all of which could technically be weapons, depending on how you use them).
How about ANVILS? If I say I'm using anvils as weapons, can I hold more than one in my hand?
How about bazookas? Can I hold more than one bazooka in my hand? They're DEFINITELY weapons.

No. Because simply holding things would be more a measure of Physical Strength(Carrying) and/or Physical Prowess(Balancing). Neither of which is reflected in the multi-grip description.
If I'm actually constantly shifting things in my hand, then that's , as has been noted, -juggling-.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I took it to mean modern weapons and the ability to fire two at once, which would be impossible due to the kick most weapons have. You would break your hand. As far as ancient and melee weapons, yeah, juggling. I don't think you can throw multiple knives at once which would be the only multi-grip thing I can think of.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I took it to mean modern weapons and the ability to fire two at once, which would be impossible due to the kick most weapons have. You would break your hand. As far as ancient and melee weapons, yeah, juggling. I don't think you can throw multiple knives at once which would be the only multi-grip thing I can think of.

Well, maybe Batman; he's been shown on a number of occasions to accurately throw multiple Batarangs from between his fingers, but that would count as a good W.P. Small, Thrown proficiency.

But since it's been further defined by the author as simply HOLDING, well, that can be tested easily enough....try holding several pens between your fingers, then throwing them one at a time. Easy enough, and I didn't have to train myself specially to do that.
Now try holding two water pistols in one hand...or rather, full-scaled and weighted airlift pistols to approximate real firearms....It can be done if you dangle one from your little finger....but again, no special skill is needed. Holding them like you were meaning to use them as designed? That doesn't require a new skill, it requires mutant-long fingers, or smaller pistols.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Now try holding two water pistols in one hand...or rather, full-scaled and weighted airlift pistols to approximate real firearms....It can be done if you dangle one from your little finger....but again, no special skill is needed. Holding them like you were meaning to use them as designed? That doesn't require a new skill, it requires mutant-long fingers, or smaller pistols.
I'm sure someone would try to fire two powerful handguns with one hand and the recoil would break their fingers. No skill is going to compensate for that.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Now try holding two water pistols in one hand...or rather, full-scaled and weighted airlift pistols to approximate real firearms....It can be done if you dangle one from your little finger....but again, no special skill is needed. Holding them like you were meaning to use them as designed? That doesn't require a new skill, it requires mutant-long fingers, or smaller pistols.
I'm sure someone would try to fire two powerful handguns with one hand and the recoil would break their fingers. No skill is going to compensate for that.

D-bees or people with reinforced bones and joints, but that's a feat of physique, not a skill.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”