Review of House of Red Sands

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

89er
Adventurer

Review of House of Red Sands

Unread post by 89er »

I gained the Rifter 80 at the start of august and I am now going to give a quick overview and opinion on the new addition.

New House: They live in a desert, hate the machine but want to led humanity on their own terms. They adapted to the environment and expect any newcomers to do the same.

Host Armors:
Dune Viper: Snake for the snake lovers.
Thorny Devil: If you like brawling and being covered in spikes, you'll like this template.

New warmounts:
-Desert Judge: Big snake that can exhale a small sand storm. Outside of the desert, it's average.
-Molok: Biotech shotgun wielding biting toad. An easy sell to other buying/copying houses.
-Nova Hawk: Large bird that breaths out heat rays, aka feathered desert Rodan. I can see the appeal.
-Desert Rose: Macro-mount as a land starfish. Appropriately large and wriggly.

Other biotech:
-The ants are great, water jug ants, wheelie ants, eraser pixie wasps and super straw ants.
-Xeric Guards are biotic jerky mummies.
-Good selection on desert survival biomods. I'm still wrapping my head around the dry fatty muscles.

Good work to all involved, now lets see if we can get some books out.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Review of House of Red Sands

Unread post by taalismn »

"We're not calling ourselves 'Fremen', nor are we calling the war against NEXUS the 'Butlerian Jiihad'."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

taalismn wrote:"We're not calling ourselves 'Fremen', nor are we calling the war against NEXUS the 'Butlerian Jiihad'."

"HMMMMMMMM, SHAI-HULUUU--"
"Stop it! Just stop it! RIGHT NOW!"
:lol:
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

BookWyrm wrote:[

"HMMMMMMMM, SHAI-HULUUU--"
"Stop it! Just stop it! RIGHT NOW!"
:lol:

N.E.X.U.S. "Okay, even we're calling a Fourth Wall violation on this one."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

I'm glad you liked it 89er :)
It was some of my most favourite material to write

hahaha ... biotic jerky mummies

I have submitted Red Sands Part 2, so hopefully that will see publication as well

The Legion Source Book is absolutely awesome!!!, and a great contribution to the setting :)

I'm hoping that the Blood & Iron Source Book that I contributed towards sees publication
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

I finally received my contribution copies (only 2 copies and not the standard 4) of the Rifter 80 on the 24th of December 2018, and was able to read the printed version of my article.
I wish to let the board know of what I thought of the finished article.
And since I haven’t been paid for my contribution as of yet, here I go.

From the beginning, I absolutely loved Splicers. It's easily my favourite Palladium setting and it put my imagination into overdrive like very few games have. Sadly, for whatever reasons, the game has remained criminally overlooked and largely unsupported officially. However, there's always been a passionate and very creative fan base for the game and I consider myself fortunate to be part of it.

I also consider myself fortunate to have had a number of my articles and creations spotlighted and used in various Rifters. The latest of these was the two part "House of the Red Sands", creation I was very proud of and very excited to share with all their fans. It's also the subject of this post.

As a writer I understand that articles and creations will often be changed or modified by the publisher. This is not a new practice and to some extent, you have to have the mindset that once you send your creation off, it's not really yours anymore. Some of the changes are actually for the better and your creation comes out even stronger for it. Other times, you can't do anything but scratch your head and wonder why some changes were made. That's where I am with Red Sands.

While I understand and accept PB's right to modify the contents of an article, in this case I have to go on record and say that I fundamentally disagree with every change and decision made to Red Sands. It's not an exaggeration to say that what was published has only the slightest resemblance to what I originally submitted. Most of my concepts and ideas were changed or modified so drastically they're basically unrecognisable; or they were removed completely.

I wanted to present a tough, gritty, and unique House to the game universe, but also one that highlighted their unique environment and the deep philosophy that underpinned the entire House. What was actually presented came across to me as little more than some Splicers softcore fan fiction. And while I consider myself to be a fairly imaginative person, I just can't seem to get my head around why such drastic alterations were made.

If you enjoyed the article and its contents, I'm thrilled. Ultimately, that's the point. Especially in a game like Splicers, I write and create for the fans. For me, especially from a creative standpoint, I was very disappointed with the end result. And I only wish more of the original creation made its way to print.
connecting the dots
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Well Krispy, I'm glad to say though I found the work interesting and I'm, sort of, relieved to see that my concerns about the work being lacking might well be not a result of your own efforts... now I just need to figure out what happened to that copy I have. Really want it in pdf so waiting for it to hit rpgnow...

This also concerns me about my own considerations of submitting a splicers house/faction related article. The idea that my work could have it's essence stripped out and let to rot leaving a empty shell in it's place doesn't encourage me in the slightest.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Slight001 wrote:Well Krispy, I'm glad to say though I found the work interesting and I'm, sort of, relieved to see that my concerns about the work being lacking might well be not a result of your own efforts... now I just need to figure out what happened to that copy I have. Really want it in pdf so waiting for it to hit rpgnow...

This also concerns me about my own considerations of submitting a splicers house/faction related article. The idea that my work could have it's essence stripped out and let to rot leaving a empty shell in it's place doesn't encourage me in the slightest.

Hey mate,
My love of Splicers hasn't, and wont change.
I highly doubt that I will submit anything else to PB. However, when and if I get the time (I'm self employed and have a few other projects on the go at the moment), maybe I can flesh out some ideas and post them on the forum
connecting the dots

Return to “Splicers®”