Physical Training Characters

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JavieRickson1
Newb

Re: Physical Training Characters

Unread post by JavieRickson1 »

I can't seem to find the starting S.D.C. for Physical Training characters. can anyone knows?.

brass knuckles
EdwardRobert
Newb

Unread post by EdwardRobert »

In an MDC world, like Rifts Earth, would a physical traoning character (as per actuall HU rules) inflict megadamage on normal punch yes or not?

brass knuckle
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

EdwardRobert wrote:In an MDC world, like Rifts Earth, would a physical traoning character (as per actuall HU rules) inflict megadamage on normal punch yes or not?

hmmmmm. I'd say yes, tenatively. Power Punch/Kick are sort of described as being chi based, so that'd fit. I don't see them being MDC themselves though
Last edited by zerombr on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

JavieRickson1 wrote:I can't seem to find the starting S.D.C. for Physical Training characters. can anyone knows?.[/url]

30 if I recall
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

EdwardRobert wrote:In an MDC world, like Rifts Earth, would a physical traoning character (as per actuall HU rules) inflict megadamage on normal punch yes or not?

brass knuckle

No
They are simply normal people.
They don't have robotic strength, they don't have chi powers, or magic, or super powers or anything... their entire shtick is that they are just normal people who have trained to the peak of normal human limits.
And normal people do not punch for 1d6x100 points of damage.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

zerombr wrote:Incriptus, do you happen to recall what Crimson Fist's P.S. ended up being? Was it like, in the 30s or 40s?

51 .. we have a house rule with higher than average stats
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

considering how I reread things, thats not too surprising. the book says P.S. is equal to Superhuman Str and all bonuses therein. so adding another 20+2D4, it'd be entirely possible to hit 50 for P.S.
Incriptus
Hero

zerombr wrote:considering how I reread things, thats not too surprising. the book says P.S. is equal to Superhuman Str and all bonuses therein. so adding another 20+2D4, it'd be entirely possible to hit 50 for P.S.

If memory serves [actual numbers may very]

placed a high roll into P.S. to begin with [Lets say 20]
Added 20 for superhuman strength default [We are now at 40]
Rolled 2d4, lets say I got a 5 [We are now at 45]
Physical Training gets 6 physical skills, lets say I got +6 PS [We are now at 51]

Yes Crimson Fist is on the high end for Physical training but still several points shy of the highest possible

I guess you could go 24 [or even 30 but I don't use that rule] + 20 + 8 + 8 + 8 for 60 ...
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

eliakon wrote:

brass knuckle

No
They are simply normal people.
They don't have robotic strength, they don't have chi powers, or magic, or super powers or anything... their entire shtick is that they are just normal people who have trained to the peak of normal human limits.
And normal people do not punch for 1d6x100 points of damage.

Eli is right, they get some increased saving throws and 3D6 PPE as per the Conversion Book, but that's it really.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I definitely see a good PT using equipment. This could be high tech knuckle dusters for someone in a high level team, or with a tech based partner, but brass knuckles or breaching gloves fill the niche as well.

I know there have been multiple lists compiled in various conversations of open market real world equipment. Things like tasers, electric cattle prods, paintball guns with special loads, brass knuckles, breaching gloves, pepper spray, ASP batons, and so on. The old New Warrior Night Thrasher had a lot of this sort of stuff built into his battle armor to give an edge over the powered crowd, without having a real robotic type suit.

This sort of common equipment could easily be adopted by a PT, or any of the Special Training classes. Honestly, in my games it isn't uncommon for a mutant with non strength based powered to have SAP gloves or similar to give them an edge against a random thug they don't want to blast with lighting, same as wearing body armor, or a good knife.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

hmmm I did forget to put equipment into that article before I sent it off, ah well, always more to put on the fire. Your input, RockJock, is noted and appreciated!

I too have had chars wear sap gloves and conventional body armor :D
RockJock
Knight

Thanks Z. In my games we tend to be several different levels of heroes. To use Marvel examples, what a team like the X-Men, or Avengers have for equipment in their supply cabinet is not going to be the same as Spiderman, or a guy on the street stopping a mugger, but some stuff will be pretty universal.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

feel free to throw any low-power gear up here for thoughts, I want to send to the Rifter a list of low power hero gear sometime.
RockJock
Knight

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45046&hilit=multi+tool

This is an ANCIENT post that lists a few things characters can commonly carry. I am sure the boards have dozens of these.

Paintball guns with various less than lethal rounds. Lots of variety here form pepper balls to markets that let a hero track by smell, or maybe identify with a UV light or whatever. Even solid rubber rounds that hit like a rubber bullet.

Multi-Tool knives, standard over the counter, or a higher tech future tech nano version.

caltrops/ballbearings to slow pursuit.

Small drones for various tasks. I'm talking more the civilian grade, but could go up in tech.

Just to start.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

i wanted to fill up a paintball hopper with Capsaicin
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What in Rifter 82 did the Physical Training get?
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

*cracks knuckles*

Well the hand to hand level up charts were revamped a bit, they get a ton of stuff from that still, its just more spread out, and makes every level more interesting.

Locks and holds have some more focus.

The PT superskill is Parkour which is all forms of physical movement, it can also be used to 'stunt', meaning you can roll it with negatives to gain extra bonuses to strike, parry, dodge, or damage.

there are general abilities for all characters that they can select, and some specific to the two types of combat. The PT char doesn't get nearly as many abilities as the sleuth or stage mage, due to how they already have a lot of combat potential

The PT character also gets some customizable 'signature moves' to work with, you can focus on knocking prone, knocking back, stunning, or dealing more damage. These are meant to be very reminiscent of your street fighter moveset, and can be performed once a round, a couple times a day.

Altogether, the power cat has a ton of options now, and hopefully will be a lot of fun
RockJock
Knight

I look forward to see a revamped PT. I hate to admit it, but they are rarely used for anything but fodder in my games. Our characters tend to start one of two ways. Either they are totally random rolls (rare), or the player has a general idea of what kind of character they want to play, and we figure out how to make that work in the game rules. For whatever reason that tends to mean that the physical fighter tends to be rolled as an Ancient Master, the Robin Hood/Archer Guy comes out as an Ancient Weapons Master, and the gun wielder ex soldier is a Hardware Weapons Genius, or even a Secret Operative much more often than as a PT.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

hopefully the Operative'll be in 83. let me know what you think of the rewrite!
Incriptus
Hero

Strength and Endurance training now gives you 3d6+1 PS instead of +20 [Lift/Carry is still superhuman]

Technically it is probably for the best, since it allows for a bigger variety of strength scores.
It lets you [Rules as written] make a character who is 'Strong' without being blatantly superhuman.

Crimson Fist would like the new Signature Moves/Abilities ... I guess I could swallow loss of a few points of P.S.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

btw, in case someone may ask 'why get a signature throw instead of a punch or kick?', well.....there's an autothrow defense out there. So yeah that sounds like it'd be fun. :D
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

zerombr wrote:btw, in case someone may ask 'why get a signature throw instead of a punch or kick?', well.....there's an autothrow defense out there. So yeah that sounds like it'd be fun. :D

My Burgundy Bandits are in love with your signature throw.
My players may not be, but the girls definately are.

So, yeah, its a great idea and I'm very glad you thought of it. This sort of covering all the bases is why I'm glad that you did the article.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

lets not forget skill stunting. the PT char has to be very innovative to keep up with all those fire slinging fliers!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”