Shrieker & Squealer Question

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Shrieker & Squealer Question

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Where do I find a Squealer launcher? Page 120 of the I Am Legion sourcebook talks about them and 122 has the Shrieker launcher, but I can't seem to find the Squealers. The launchers aren't the same, are they?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
boxee
Hero

Re: Shrieker & Squealer Question

Unread post by boxee »

Not sure, it almost sounds like a typo?
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

boxee wrote:Not sure, it almost sounds like a typo?

I almost hope not. They each have different ranges.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Since the Mantis Cannon can also launch Squealers & they have an 'innate deisre' to track & eliminate them, use the Mantis Cannon as a default.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

So has the community shrunk so small that there are only the three of us left?
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

boxee wrote:So has the community shrunk so small that there are only the three of us left?

Pretty much... I still look in a occasionally post however I'm not keen on the direction the authors seem to want to take this setting.

In general the real problem is I have lost all respect for the palladium forums. I've read far too many interesting threads that devolved into snipping wars between the same few posters time and time again.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

boxee wrote:So has the community shrunk so small that there are only the three of us left?

I just came back from a boycott. Got sick of always hearing about a Splicers book, only to get pieces in Rifters. I finally have another Splicers BOOK. Now Palladium can get my $$$ again. I'm still ticked off that it had to be hacked up and put in Rifters first, but at least they put them back together and slapped a cover on it. (Love the artwork, BTW) Stuff has supposedly been in the pipeline for about 10 YEARS! That's why this place has become an abandoned Retro-Village!

PB - Give us MORE! The Splice Must Flow!!!!!!!!!!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

It also has added content!
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

BookWyrm wrote:Since the Mantis Cannon can also launch Squealers & they have an 'innate deisre' to track & eliminate them, use the Mantis Cannon as a default.

Please, what page and how far down am I looking? I've been over the Mantis Cannon several times (and the Shriekers & Squealers section) and I can't seem to find any mention of them being able to launch them. Seems they hear and want to shoot Squealers, but no mention of targeting Shriekers. So, it appears the "Heavy Artillery" can only target something nobody can launch!?!
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Shriekers function as Squealers.....
As for Squealers, I think they are like a chig....
**Squealers are Bio-Tech spider-like devices that can remain curled up like a small bearing and fired from a weapon or they can be thrown where they open up with their eight spider legs splayed out to clamp onto desired targets. These devices emit specialized transmissions that can be used as a tracking and targeting source for Mantis Cannons, but may also be utilized by Splicers units that have Shrieker Hearing, Targeting or Tracking.** copied from I am Legion Sourcebook page 120.
So they can be fired at a target, thrown to hit or become a mine that grabs its target.
They just have much better range (10 miles compared to 2)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

RiftJunkie wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:Since the Mantis Cannon can also launch Squealers & they have an 'innate deisre' to track & eliminate them, use the Mantis Cannon as a default.

Please, what page and how far down am I looking? I've been over the Mantis Cannon several times (and the Shriekers & Squealers section) and I can't seem to find any mention of them being able to launch them. Seems they hear and want to shoot Squealers, but no mention of targeting Shriekers. So, it appears the "Heavy Artillery" can only target something nobody can launch!?!

Mantis Cannon, p.41 of the I Am Legion book, near the bottom of the page in big bold letters.

To answer a previous inquiry, we SpliceHeads are simply biding our time between Machine incursions, Legion sorties and one particularly raucus Techno-Jacker party...two minor houses are still not speaking of what happened; a formerly trusted Librarian is facing charges of gross misconduct involving a Retro-Village, high-grade bio-hallucinogenic compounds, & an experimental Kraken war-mount; and the return of a Warlord's bone great-sword that has been allegedly missing since the start of the War....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:Where do I find a Squealer launcher? Page 120 of the I Am Legion sourcebook talks about them and 122 has the Shrieker launcher, but I can't seem to find the Squealers. The launchers aren't the same, are they?

Thanks for asking RiftJunkie
As TagsPB mentioned, Squealers are a weapon that can be planted, thrown or discharged. Also like BookWrym mentioned Mantis Cannons also make for an ideal default. Thanks guys!

For those curious who don't have the book yet, Page 120

Squealers are Bio-tech spider-like devices that can remain curled up like a small bearing and fired from a weapon or they can be thrown where they open up with their eight spider legs splayed out to clamp onto desired targets. These devices emit specialized transmissions that can be used as a tracking and targeting source for Mantis Cannons, but may also be utilized by Splicers units that have Shrieker Hearing, Targeting or Tracking. Such units include Biotics, Gorehounds, Host armors, Living Body Armors, War Mounts and Special weapons that are equipped with a proprietary Squealer Bio-Comm (this in addition to the standard Bio-Comm as a required prerequisite). Splicers can use these experimental devices to mark targets for special weapons firing and bombardment by Mantis Cannons. Once a Squealer is activated, all Mantis Cannons within a 10-mile (16 km) radius are able to track this transmission to its source and can accurately target it even without line of sight. This allows them to fire over obstacles or from a concealed position without ever seeing the target. It helps Fire Teams maintain a low profile in the field, plus not having to rely on line or sight gives them a much greater field of fire. Note: Mantis Cannons have an innate desire to obliterate these Squealers once they hear the signal, but they will not fire until commanded to do so by their Bombardier.

*************************************************************************************************************************

As to a "Squealer" Launcher, Yes they can be "fired from a weapon" as mentioned on page 120 of Splicers: I am Legion. You can use Mantis Cannons to launch the Squealers or they can be thrown or planted. I would also suggest/enable War Mounts, Biotics and Bio Armors (Living Body Armors, Host Armors and Proto-Host Armors) using Shrieker Launchers to also fire Squealer rounds. The player simply needs to manually load a single Squealer round into a Shrieker Launcher's barrel before discharging it. There would not be a need to dedicate mounting space for a weapon that itself does not deliver damage versus having the munitions interchangeable so that you could lase the target and bombard it afterwards with the same launcher.

M.D.C of the Squealer Spider Round: 1D10 M.D. each.
Range: 1,000 feet (305 m), when fired from a Shrieker launcher, or use Mantis Cannon range when fired from these giant insect War Mounts). Thrown as a grenade: 100 feet (30.5 m), twice that for Splicers. If attached to an arrow or spear the range is that of the projectile reduced by 30% due to the extra weight and imbalance of the Squealer on the tip.
Duration: Once activated, A Squealer round will transmit its special Bio-Comm transmission for 4D6 minutes before it dies.
Bonuses: +4 to strike (this includes the arachnid like ammunition splaying its eight legs when necessary to help compensate/guide its trajectory towards the desired target.
Trade Value: 800 credits each.

Hope this helps.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Premier wrote:
RiftJunkie wrote:Where do I find a Squealer launcher? Page 120 of the I Am Legion sourcebook talks about them and 122 has the Shrieker launcher, but I can't seem to find the Squealers. The launchers aren't the same, are they?

Thanks for asking RiftJunkie
As TagsPB mentioned, Squealers are a weapon that can be planted, thrown or discharged. Also like BookWrym mentioned Mantis Cannons also make for an ideal default. Thanks guys!

For those curious who don't have the book yet, Page 120

Squealers are Bio-tech spider-like devices that can remain curled up like a small bearing and fired from a weapon or they can be thrown where they open up with their eight spider legs splayed out to clamp onto desired targets. These devices emit specialized transmissions that can be used as a tracking and targeting source for Mantis Cannons, but may also be utilized by Splicers units that have Shrieker Hearing, Targeting or Tracking. Such units include Biotics, Gorehounds, Host armors, Living Body Armors, War Mounts and Special weapons that are equipped with a proprietary Squealer Bio-Comm (this in addition to the standard Bio-Comm as a required prerequisite). Splicers can use these experimental devices to mark targets for special weapons firing and bombardment by Mantis Cannons. Once a Squealer is activated, all Mantis Cannons within a 10-mile (16 km) radius are able to track this transmission to its source and can accurately target it even without line of sight. This allows them to fire over obstacles or from a concealed position without ever seeing the target. It helps Fire Teams maintain a low profile in the field, plus not having to rely on line or sight gives them a much greater field of fire. Note: Mantis Cannons have an innate desire to obliterate these Squealers once they hear the signal, but they will not fire until commanded to do so by their Bombardier.

*************************************************************************************************************************

As to a "Squealer" Launcher, Yes they can be "fired from a weapon" as mentioned on page 120 of Splicers: I am Legion. You can use Mantis Cannons to launch the Squealers or they can be thrown or planted. I would also suggest/enable War Mounts, Biotics and Bio Armors (Living Body Armors, Host Armors and Proto-Host Armors) using Shrieker Launchers to also fire Squealer rounds. The player simply needs to manually load a single Squealer round into a Shrieker Launcher's barrel before discharging it. There would not be a need to dedicate mounting space for a weapon that itself does not deliver damage versus having the munitions interchangeable so that you could lase the target and bombard it afterwards with the same launcher.

M.D.C of the Squealer Spider Round: 1D10 M.D. each.
Range: 1,000 feet (305 m), when fired from a Shrieker launcher, or use Mantis Cannon range when fired from these giant insect War Mounts). Thrown as a grenade: 100 feet (30.5 m), twice that for Splicers. If attached to an arrow or spear the range is that of the projectile reduced by 30% due to the extra weight and imbalance of the Squealer on the tip.
Duration: Once activated, A Squealer round will transmit its special Bio-Comm transmission for 4D6 minutes before it dies.
Bonuses: +4 to strike (this includes the arachnid like ammunition splaying its eight legs when necessary to help compensate/guide its trajectory towards the desired target.
Trade Value: 800 credits each.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this does help. I was concerned that I couldn't find the actual "Squealer Launcher" and it was driving me Biotic!

Return to “Splicers®”