Legion Footprints

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Legion Footprints

Unread post by LostOne »

So I only have the Rifter 71-72 so far. I'm starting to leave clues about Legion for the party. Anyone want to take a guess at the dimensions and depth of the footprints in a plains area? I'm not good at visualizing that kind of thing and I have no idea how deep a footprint something with 10 legs that weighs 400 tons would leave. Partially depends on the ground and partially on the surface area of the bottom of the feet I'm sure. I have no clue if it would be closer to 2 feet or 10 feet deep.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
TagsPB
Explorer

Re: Legion Footprints

Unread post by TagsPB »

LostOne wrote:So I only have the Rifter 71-72 so far. I'm starting to leave clues about Legion for the party. Anyone want to take a guess at the dimensions and depth of the footprints in a plains area? I'm not good at visualizing that kind of thing and I have no idea how deep a footprint something with 10 legs that weighs 400 tons would leave. Partially depends on the ground and partially on the surface area of the bottom of the feet I'm sure. I have no clue if it would be closer to 2 feet or 10 feet deep.

Judging by Chucks art....those feet are about 15’ in diameter. Which is bigger then most sauropod dinosaurs compared to their bodies. Patagotitan (currently the largest known Titanosaur - 130’ long, 69 or so tons) had tiny foot prints, but would have left footprints in the 4” to 6” range on say average North America city park grassland. (( very amature paleontologist here)) and it had only 4 feet, each one only about 3 to 5 feet in diameter.

So I’d say this would leave prints about 15’ in diameter and 2 to maybe 4 feet deep in a similar soil.....BUT also in having 5 on each side of its body would mean some of its tracks would overlap each other depending on speed and direction (which could really confuse players).
Unlike biological foot prints.....these would have much ‘sharper’ edges. Unless something like rain or wind deforms the edges quickly.

Just my 5 cents worth (Canadians stopped using pennies years ago)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'm agreeing with TagsPB here. His suggestions on size, depth & impression should make for an interesting visual.

"Rosch, have you seen these....impressions?"
"I have, Tracker Hymes. No beast I know of, Spliced, Warmount nor Machine-preserved, could make such indentations to the soil. They are too....static."
"And some of the others along here, appear to be in a pattern, a multi-legged creature, like a Ganesh of House Shiva.....or even the Dracos, but..."
"Indeed. Multipedal, but obviously more than four, or even six....but not the variations of a biological entity.....it is too uniform. Each imprint is...."
*Both look at each other in realization.* "Perfect."
"We must inform the Houses. The accursed Machine may have unleased a new weapon upon our world. Or, dare I say---"
"We have a new player in the great game."
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

BookWyrm wrote:I'm agreeing with TagsPB here. His suggestions on size, depth & impression should make for an interesting visual.

"Rosch, have you seen these....impressions?"
"I have, Tracker Hymes. No beast I know of, Spliced, Warmount nor Machine-preserved, could make such indentations to the soil. They are too....static."
"And some of the others along here, appear to be in a pattern, a multi-legged creature, like a Ganesh of House Shiva.....or even the Dracos, but..."
"Indeed. Multipedal, but obviously more than four, or even six....but not the variations of a biological entity.....it is too uniform. Each imprint is...."
*Both look at each other in realization.* "Perfect."
"We must inform the Houses. The accursed Machine may have unleased a new weapon upon our world. Or, dare I say---"
"We have a new player in the great game."

Keep in mind.....this may be a "Sand People ride the Banthas in single file to hide their numbers" type thing.
With how the foot prints would over lap, long term tracking might be needed to figure out just how many feet it has!!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually the footprints would not be any more sharp or perfect than any other.. condition would depend heavily on the underlying terrain, what the thing was doing, etc.

but what it would look like is obviously from some mechanical thing, given the shape and things like tread patterns/textures on the bottom.

Legion cyborgs would have tracks that obviously come from something mechanical in terms of shapes and texture.. but as you track them, it would show movements and behavior that is clearly not normal for Nexus robots.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

TagsPB & Glitterboy: Exactly.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Return to “Splicers®”