We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
Oh
You might actually want to look at what others have done before you just go posting stuff.[/quote]

Until the Black Vault(or a successor) gets re-established, that's a bit more difficult.
But in this case, it's more a matter of remembering what you've tried posting before.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Empathy Training(Domestic)
Empathy training is sensitization to the emotional needs and concerns of others. As there is no easy way to indoctine empathy in people, training is usually in the form of immersion, exposing trainees to emotionally-charged situations where they are expected to be anchors of stability and rationality. Empathy training typically involves working with others in dire straits, such as homeless shelters, community centers, elder care facilities, or hospices, offering aid and comfort, or simply a listening ear, paying attention to others and reading their emotional state. Other techniques involve situational roleplaying in identifying and reacting to sensitive issues. Trainees learn to pick up on nonverbal cues and body language, and proper ways to address others. In more pragmatic terms, trainees learn how to say the right things to avoid agitating already-tense people, and accerbating a situation. Though the province of dedicated social workers and caretakers, occasionally, empathy or sensivity training is assigned as rehabilitative punishment to people judged guilty of being oblivious to the plight of others.
Bonuses: +1d4 to MA, +1 ME. +5% to Psychology skill.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I'm not sure how to search a 24 page thread... here's a skill I put together for my current Heroes Unlimited game. If there's already a version of this somewhere in this topic I apologize for the duplication.

Lore: Superhuman: Knowledge about super powers, how they are believed to work, how they affect people, their limitations, and the rumors and conspiracy theories surrounding the origins of super humans. This skill also provides a rudimentary knowledge about people and beings who possess super powers such as aliens, experiments, mutants, super soldiers, and the most infamous super humans and groups (The Usurper, The Mighty Static Man, The Masters of Speed, The Centurions, etc.). The character will also have a passing knowledge about famous super humans in the local region, technology as it relates to super human enhancement, and may be able to recognize the difference between super powers and magic, psionics, technology, talents, and extraordinary skill. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience.

For my current game I imported a lot of other skills from across the Megaverse and made them available in the game (including many other Lore skills). The full list of what I allowed is here.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
taalismn
Priest

Glistam wrote:I'm not sure how to search a 24 page thread... here's a skill I put together for my current Heroes Unlimited game. If there's already a version of this somewhere in this topic I apologize for the duplication.

Lore: Superhuman: Knowledge about super powers, how they are believed to work, how they affect people, their limitations, and the rumors and conspiracy theories surrounding the origins of super humans. This skill also provides a rudimentary knowledge about people and beings who possess super powers such as aliens, experiments, mutants, super soldiers, and the most infamous super humans and groups (The Usurper, The Mighty Static Man, The Masters of Speed, The Centurions, etc.). The character will also have a passing knowledge about famous super humans in the local region, technology as it relates to super human enhancement, and may be able to recognize the difference between super powers and magic, psionics, technology, talents, and extraordinary skill. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience.

8) Okay, this is a LOT better thought-out and put together than previous attempts at Lore: Superpowers, in that it phrases it with regards to 'what is believed', 'rumors', and 'conspiracies' as opposed to 'know-everything- about superheroes'.

I'd also include a lower percentage roll for being able to distinguish between the various types of powers...maybe 20+5% PLE? Not great, but stiil better than the uninformed layperson.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:Empathy Training(Domestic)
Empathy training is sensitization to the emotional needs and concerns of others. As there is no easy way to indoctine empathy in people, training is usually in the form of immersion, exposing trainees to emotionally-charged situations where they are expected to be anchors of stability and rationality. Empathy training typically involves working with others in dire straits, such as homeless shelters, community centers, elder care facilities, or hospices, offering aid and comfort, or simply a listening ear, paying attention to others and reading their emotional state. Other techniques involve situational roleplaying in identifying and reacting to sensitive issues. Trainees learn to pick up on nonverbal cues and body language, and proper ways to address others. In more pragmatic terms, trainees learn how to say the right things to avoid agitating already-tense people, and accerbating a situation. Though the province of dedicated social workers and caretakers, occasionally, empathy or sensivity training is assigned as rehabilitative punishment to people judged guilty of being oblivious to the plight of others.
Why is this a domestic skill rather than medical?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:Empathy Training(Domestic)

How many Critical Fails in a row does it take for the PC to be considered a Socio/Psycopath?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
Why is this a domestic skill rather than medical?[/quote]

Because social work isn't necessarily a medical profession IMHO, though it does come off as 'psychology lite'. And since people are sometimes assigned sensitivity training as part of public relations work or sentenced to it as part of probationary rehab, I wouldn't see it in medical terms.
It's also not a strictly mental/knowledge skill, which is why I wouldn't consider it to be Technical per say.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Why is this a domestic skill rather than medical?

Because social work isn't necessarily a medical profession IMHO, though it does come off as 'psychology lite'. And since people are sometimes assigned sensitivity training as part of public relations work or sentenced to it as part of probationary rehab, I wouldn't see it in medical terms.
It's also not a strictly mental/knowledge skill, which is why I wouldn't consider it to be Technical per say.

Could it be considered a Mental Skill per Rifter 19?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:[

That's what I figure. There aren't many skills that increase a person's M.A. so I'm afraid it may be looked at as something of a dump-stat(maybe because Palladium really doesn't have comprehensive 'fast talk' rules?).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:

That's what I figure. There aren't many skills that increase a person's M.A. so I'm afraid it may be looked at as something of a dump-stat(maybe because Palladium really doesn't have comprehensive 'fast talk' rules?).

In the Robotech New Generation sourcebook the Urchin OCC has Fast Talker rules, it is one of the optional OCC abilities (I think, my books are all in totes for the move)
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

In the Robotech New Generation sourcebook the Urchin OCC has Fast Talker rules, it is one of the optional OCC abilities (I think, my books are all in totes for the move)

Yeah, I recall that, but we can't all be doe-eyed streetkids, can we? :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Goofy walk-you gain +5 to ac due to you dodging via a purposeful slip/fall in away from the attack, you may gain +3 to ma from clowns/acrobats only.
+2 to physical dexterity
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:Goofy walk-you gain +5 to ac due to you dodging via a purposeful slip/fall in away from the attack, you may gain +3 to ma from clowns/acrobats only.
+2 to physical dexterity

'ac'? Explain.
It looks like you're mixing stat terms from other game systems. Please use Palladium terms for all stats( in this case, 'Physical dexterity' would be 'P.P.')

I'd consider this skill to be covered by existing skills such as Gymnastics, Acrobatics, and Tumbling(Palladium Fantasy book III: Adventures on the High Seas), and in greatest detail by Martial Arts such as Drunken-style Kung Fu. A good gymnast or performer who's studied other physical skills(such as the ones I've cited), ideally with skills like Performance, Dance, or an existing high MA or PP, will be able to make a more technical dodge look easy, accidental, or comedic, as well as those other skills offering more versatile bonuses(Tumbling, for example, I'd consider useful for accomplishing pratfalls).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

taalismn wrote:

MA a dump stat :shock:

I'm actually concerned a 1D4 may be too high...if you can gain the trust of someone or intimidate them easier that can have a TON of noncombat applications that I abuse regularly. Swaying peoples opinions and manipulating situations can have massive impacts.

though your right there is a lack of rules for fast talk role playing the event after you've established they trust or fear you is easier. This all said i'm usually the "face" character for my group or the manipulator/money man whenever I can be so I could be more invested than most. I also tend to roll higher than average on MA and PB... so I could have a scewed view there too
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:

MA a dump stat :shock:

I'm actually concerned a 1D4 may be too high...if you can gain the trust of someone or intimidate them easier that can have a TON of noncombat applications that I abuse regularly. Swaying peoples opinions and manipulating situations can have massive impacts.

though your right there is a lack of rules for fast talk role playing the event after you've established they trust or fear you is easier. This all said i'm usually the "face" character for my group or the manipulator/money man whenever I can be so I could be more invested than most. I also tend to roll higher than average on MA and PB... so I could have a scewed view there too

Trust is good and all, but it isnt mind control. If my wife, for example, tells me a secret, asks me not to tell anyone, it doesnt matter HOW much I trust someone, I aint gonna tell them.
I imagine that the same holds true for many levels of sensitive or secure information or people who work in such related fields.
<PC> "You trust me right?"
<NPC> "Yes, of course, with my life."
<PC> "Then let me into the *insert name of secure facility here*"
<NPC> "What, are you high? No!"

(I use the above example, because in that case the player was confused as to why they didnt get let in).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

13eowulf wrote:Trust is good and all, but it isnt mind control. If my wife, for example, tells me a secret, asks me not to tell anyone, it doesnt matter HOW much I trust someone, I aint gonna tell them.
I imagine that the same holds true for many levels of sensitive or secure information or people who work in such related fields.

(I use the above example, because in that case the player was confused as to why they didnt get let in).

But if you have an appropriate story "Your Operative X correct? i'm with the West Coast office and my luggage was lost along with my identification, can you take me to the facility so we can get this sorted out by the higher ups?"

You have to have a basis, he may call in, or perform other checks, but hopefully your prepared for that, or else you'd be using a different story. It also makes you seem more friendly or effective in an interogation. Its not a be all end all, but if the guy really does trust you he wont ask as many questions or be as nit picky. Imagine your at work as a security guard in a big building (multiple offices, nothing you know about as really a big deal) and a guy walks up to you and asks if you know what office Dr.soso is in, he is big, ripped like a body builder, and you think you see the outline of a gun in his jacket...are you gonna let him in?

Now lets stop for a moment as assume he chats you up, talks about this and that (he was really into lifting weights in college) and he just got off his shift in precinct 85 (oh a cop) and he was supposed to meet a good friend at Dr. soso's office. Would you let him in?

You'll probably say no because your looking at it objectively, but the entire point of a high MA is the people your talking to aren't seeing you objectively. And i've just talked my way past security with no alarms and probably directions to office i wanna get to. The more set up and prep you have the better MA becomes, and it adds weight to your social interactions (what if you show up in uniform with a badge, no MA modifier maybe they get suspicious, high MA they automatically trust you as long as you don't blow it). You see it in movies a lot of the time "Oh i forgot my wallet inside, man can you let me in for just a minute? i know your changing shift but i'll be quick i left my ID in there i'll just flash it to the next guy when i come out" it takes a bit of suspension of disbelief, but this is a rpg.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Nightmartree wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Trust is good and all, but it isnt mind control. If my wife, for example, tells me a secret, asks me not to tell anyone, it doesnt matter HOW much I trust someone, I aint gonna tell them.

But if you have an appropriate story "Your Operative X correct? i'm with the West Coast office and my luggage was lost along with my identification, can you take me to the facility so we can get this sorted out by the higher ups?"

You have to have a basis, he may call in, or perform other checks, but hopefully your prepared for that, or else you'd be using a different story. It also makes you seem more friendly or effective in an interogation. Its not a be all end all, but if the guy really does trust you he wont ask as many questions or be as nit picky. Imagine your at work as a security guard in a big building (multiple offices, nothing you know about as really a big deal) and a guy walks up to you and asks if you know what office Dr.soso is in, he is big, ripped like a body builder, and you think you see the outline of a gun in his jacket...are you gonna let him in?

Now lets stop for a moment as assume he chats you up, talks about this and that (he was really into lifting weights in college) and he just got off his shift in precinct 85 (oh a cop) and he was supposed to meet a good friend at Dr. soso's office. Would you let him in?

You'll probably say no because your looking at it objectively, but the entire point of a high MA is the people your talking to aren't seeing you objectively. And i've just talked my way past security with no alarms and probably directions to office i wanna get to. The more set up and prep you have the better MA becomes, and it adds weight to your social interactions (what if you show up in uniform with a badge, no MA modifier maybe they get suspicious, high MA they automatically trust you as long as you don't blow it). You see it in movies a lot of the time "Oh i forgot my wallet inside, man can you let me in for just a minute? i know your changing shift but i'll be quick i left my ID in there i'll just flash it to the next guy when i come out" it takes a bit of suspension of disbelief, but this is a rpg.

This is a great example, as is the one by 3eowulf that you quoted. Well done!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Yeah, MA isn't mind control, but it's useful in real roleplaying, from 'softer' situations to presence attacks.
I actually used a high MA score in one of my first Rifts games as a player. Since I was playing a full conversion cyborg, I wasn't worrying about speed or P.S., so I put my high dice roll into MA. My character was a hulk of bionics, but he could come across as friendly and charming by his body language and attitude.
Helped nicely when we were negotiating for passage aboard a ley line wizard's leyline boat. The Crazy and the Cyberknight came across as too brusque and aggressive when it came to bargaining, so the sorceress refused to budge on a price, so I had to smooth down ruffled feathers. After chatting a while, my offering to do the cooking on the trip(it helped that I plowed two skill selections into professional grade cooking, and had whipped up an apple pie as a sample), the LLW agreed to cut us some slack on the passage fee.
It was a fun bit of 'slice of life'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Yeah, MA isn't mind control, but it's useful in real roleplaying, from 'softer' situations to presence attacks.
I actually used a high MA score in one of my first Rifts games as a player. Since I was playing a full conversion cyborg, I wasn't worrying about speed or P.S., so I put my high dice roll into MA. My character was a hulk of bionics, but he could come across as friendly and charming by his body language and attitude.
Helped nicely when we were negotiating for passage aboard a ley line wizard's leyline boat. The Crazy and the Cyberknight came across as too brusque and aggressive when it came to bargaining, so the sorceress refused to budge on a price, so I had to smooth down ruffled feathers. After chatting a while, my offering to do the cooking on the trip(it helped that I plowed two skill selections into professional grade cooking, and had whipped up an apple pie as a sample), the LLW agreed to cut us some slack on the passage fee.

We can't all deflect bullets with our bare machinery while we smooze cute a sorceress, but the cyborgs with a high MA sure can

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:This is a great example, as is the one by 3eowulf that you quoted. Well done!

Thank you, and 3eowulf does have a point, people won't just hand out their secrets cause you have a high MA and said please (though a case could be made for a person with really low ME). But that's the glory of roleplay, sometimes things you say or do matter more than your stat block, for instance taalisman baking a pie to get on a boat, he made his cooking skill work for him through roleplaying.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Yeah, MA isn't mind control, but it's useful in real roleplaying, from 'softer' situations to presence attacks.

We can't all deflect bullets with our bare machinery while we smooze cute a sorceress, but the cyborgs with a high MA sure can

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:This is a great example, as is the one by 3eowulf that you quoted. Well done!

Thank you, and 3eowulf does have a point, people won't just hand out their secrets cause you have a high MA and said please (though a case could be made for a person with really low ME). But that's the glory of roleplay, sometimes things you say or do matter more than your stat block, for instance taalisman baking a pie to get on a boat, he made his cooking skill work for him through roleplaying.

Actual roleplay is great, and things like this can enhance it. My grievance is with those who state their intention with someone, then state they are gonna roll Trust/Intimidate, or Charm/Impress like it was a combat roll, and expect a successful roll to make their stated intention come true, and that is the extent of the interaction.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

13eowulf wrote:Actual roleplay is great, and things like this can enhance it. My grievance is with those who state their intention with someone, then state they are gonna roll Trust/Intimidate, or Charm/Impress like it was a combat roll, and expect a successful roll to make their stated intention come true, and that is the extent of the interaction.

I agree that that don't fly

though now i'm imagining someone doing the reverse, saying they're attacking and then trying to roleplay the situation to make it hit...i mean...there is a lot of weird bullet related scenarios running through my head now and none of them make sense, like talking about a scene making a bullet bounce around corners, or how an (assumed) wind speed of this with this rifle at that angle and trejectory plus my % roll to determine local conditions means my bullet takes the guy through his left nostril!....instead of a to hit roll
taalismn
Priest

Actual roleplay is great, and things like this can enhance it. My grievance is with those who state their intention with someone, then state they are gonna roll Trust/Intimidate, or Charm/Impress like it was a combat roll, and expect a successful roll to make their stated intention come true, and that is the extent of the interaction.

Yeah, because sometimes what you're doing or saying is pure #####, and no amount of charisma going to convince anybody not dribbling an idiot ball otherwise.

Learned that the hard way in a Cyberpunk game where I tried t intimidate my way in past a club bouncer. HIs confidence buoyed by the fact that he had a hardened security position behind him, he essentially shot my kneecaps off and told me to bugger off.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

13eowulf wrote:Actual roleplay is great, and things like this can enhance it. My grievance is with those who state their intention with someone, then state they are gonna roll Trust/Intimidate, or Charm/Impress like it was a combat roll, and expect a successful roll to make their stated intention come true, and that is the extent of the interaction.

I'll admit to having been "that guy" before. Usually during one of the following situations. 1. I'm tired as all get out. 2. I'm not tired but suffering a creative block. 3. The GM is being an incomparable, uncooperative, deliberately obstinate b00b. (eg I get tired of trying to RP the situation, which is fun for me, because he's gm-blocking me at every turn [he's 2ed D&D where it was DM vs players apparently]. So rather than continue to frustrate myself and waste my creative energies I just let the dice settle it mathematically)

I would much rather blind them with my brilliance or baffle them with my BS than to resort to simply going 'HA! that's a crit success on my BS skill)

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:[

I would much rather blind them with my brilliance or baffle them with my BS than to resort to simply going 'HA! that's a crit success on my BS skill)

Well, the dice roll DOES allow players who aren't natural BSartists to play characters that have the brilliance they, IRL, can't regularly exercise, but hat kinda takes the 'role play' out of the RPG.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I'll admit to having been "that guy" before. Usually during one of the following situations. 1. I'm tired as all get out. 2. I'm not tired but suffering a creative block. 3. The GM is being an incomparable, uncooperative, deliberately obstinate b00b. (eg I get tired of trying to RP the situation, which is fun for me, because he's gm-blocking me at every turn [he's 2ed D&D where it was DM vs players apparently]. So rather than continue to frustrate myself and waste my creative energies I just let the dice settle it mathematically)

I don't consider that system as players vs DM, DM vs players is a table thing not usually a system thing, trust me if it was DM vs players i'd have never ended up playing a Celtic Paladin painted in woad who used his sling as his loin cloth sling...ya that adventure didn't last long but it shall remain with me forever. I as one of two paladins who did this, and we were totally without armor a low level, we should have died uncountable times...but the woad was protecting us apparently cause neither of us died the entire adventure. I also died horribly because of random rolls (as a gnome) but the DM was kind enough to allow the monsters who kept rolling me as a target for 5 straight rounds to continue to ravage my corpse as the party battled them (and we succeeded in prayer to the gods to revive me...yay!)...so basically its only GM or DM vs players if that's what the people enjoy (though it may result from the DM being frustrated, rifts has a LOT in it so you can lose control fast)
taalismn wrote:Well, the dice roll DOES allow players who aren't natural BSartists to play characters that have the brilliance they, IRL, can't regularly exercise, but hat kinda takes the 'role play' out of the RPG.

Yep...i'd still have them roleplay it but if they have the die rolls then those cheesy pick up lines and bad ideas somehow become the perfect lines and suave schmoozing that the character would need to make this work. Basically putting the player through a die roll/character filter to get the in game world results
taalismn
Priest

"I'm afraid that 'Hey baby, is heaven missing an angel?' as an introductory line in this bar isn't going to garner a skill roll to succeed, because even if you did roll a success, all they'd think is you're a sauvely articulate moron. They're more impressed with your ability to say that without choking on your own lips."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:"I'm afraid that 'Hey baby, is heaven missing an angel?' as an introductory line in this bar isn't going to garner a skill roll to succeed, because even if you did roll a success, all they'd think is you're a sauvely articulate moron. They're more impressed with your ability to say that without choking on your own lips."

Wait...that line doesn't work anymore?!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:he's 2ed D&D where it was DM vs players apparently].
2nd Edition wasn't like that any more than any other version was, you just had a DM that used that style of play.

Anyhow, this discussion seems to be overtaking the thread which was actually created for people to post skills, not analyze them. Could we get back to that?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:he's 2ed D&D where it was DM vs players apparently].
2nd Edition wasn't like that any more than any other version was, you just had a DM that used that style of play.

Anyhow, this discussion seems to be overtaking the thread which was actually created for people to post skills, not analyze them. Could we get back to that?

I got you :lol:

Over-analyze Minutiae
This skill helps one select a single small part of an overall concept or idea, often an insignificant or irrelevant portion, and inflate its perceived significant through long winded and sometimes spread out lectures, rants, essays, or debates, with others who either also posses this skill, or are desperately trying to get the conversation back on point. The thoroughness, lengths, and depths one can go when focusing so narrowly to the exclusion of all other ideas knows almost no bounds. Requires the literacy skill to be applied to text or the written word. Add +6% to this skill if the Research skill is known by the character, and another +6% if the Creative Writing skill is also known by the character.
Base skill: 35%/25% +4% per level of experience. The first number is for identifying a sufficiently small enough portion of a given information or data set to exploit in this manner, the second is for one's ability to actually exploit this identified minutiae.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Over-analyze Minutiae
This skill helps one select a single small part of an overall concept or idea, often an insignificant or irrelevant portion, and inflate its perceived significant through long winded and sometimes spread out lectures, rants, essays, or debates, with others who either also posses this skill, or are desperately trying to get the conversation back on point. The thoroughness, lengths, and depths one can go when focusing so narrowly to the exclusion of all other ideas knows almost no bounds. Requires the literacy skill to be applied to text or the written word. Add +6% to this skill if the Research skill is known by the character, and another +6% if the Creative Writing skill is also known by the character.
Base skill: 35%/25% +4% per level of experience. The first number is for identifying a sufficiently small enough portion of a given information or data set to exploit in this manner, the second is for one's ability to actually exploit this identified minutiae.

This related to President Warren G. Harding's hisoric skill 'Bloviate'? :-D

Bloviate(Communication)
The ability to pad out speech through repetition, use of convoluted, pumped-up phrases, constant asides, twisted logic, tangled progression, obscure references, and obfuscations delivered in such a way as to both mesmerize and boggle listeners. Ideally, professional bloviators aim to trap listeners or confuse them such that when they finally unravel what was really said, it is revealed to be little of substance, if anything of substance was discussed at all. A favorite skill in filibustering.
Modifiers: Add any P.E. % bonuses for purposes of endurance bloviating/filibustering, +5% if Public Speaking or Performance are also taken.
Base skill: 30% +5% per level of experience. Also add any MA and PB bonuses for charming.
A successful skill roll must be taken every 5 minutes of speech to keep the attention of the average audience.
Last edited by taalismn on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Over-analyze Minutiae
You have some great contributions. Would you mind if I posted your materials to the Black Vault Wiki?
taalismn
Priest

And on the heels of Bloviate:

BS Recognition(Communications)
The ability to detect BS in speech and manner. This skill teaches the ability to quickly parse through stilted verbage and phraseology to diiscern true meanings, or the lack of substance. Pattern recognition in the ideas and themes of speech, as well as body language, is sharpened. Some practitioners of this skill develop low levels of cynicism and sarcastic manner when dealing with large amounts of BS(especially at political rallies). Also helps in resisting snowjobs, advertising, telemarketing, scams, kiss-ups, and bloviation sessions.
Modifiers: +15% if the Common Sense skill is also possessed
Bonuses:+1 to IQ. +10% to resisting Seduction attempts.+1 Save Vs Telemarketers at every level of experience.
Base Skill: 25%+5% per level of experience.
Note: The ability to detect science- or technical-based BS is covered by possessing knowledge of the fields being promoted/exploited by the BS
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:And on the heels of Bloviate:

The ability to detect BS in speech and manner. This skill teaches the ability to quickly parse through stilted verbage and phraseology to diiscern true meanings, or the lack of substance. Pattern recognition in the ideas and themes of speech, as well as body language, is sharpened. Some practitioners of this skill develop low levels of cynicism and sarcastic manner when dealing with large amounts of BS(especially at political rallies). Also helps in resisting snowjobs, advertising, telemarketing, scams, kiss-ups, and bloviation sessions.
Bonuses:+1 to IQ. +10% to resisting Seduction attempts.+1 Save Vs Telemarketers at every level of experience.
Note: The ability to detect science- or technical-based BS is covered by possessing knowledge of the fields being promoted/exploited by the BS

Please tell me that there is a Common Sense skill somewhere!

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:And on the heels of Bloviate:

I was gonna write one about mud-slinging but then I remember Rifter 28 already did that.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Please tell me that there is a Common Sense skill somewhere!

Yes, yes, there is.

But here it is reposted, so you don't have to go out searching for it:

Common Sense(Technical)
Normally an inherent talent in people, though in some individuals and societies this has degraded so much as to require actual training in it to acquire it. Common Sense is the skill and knowledge to discern blatant boneheadedness, bad behavior, Darwinian counter-productive decisions, and self-preservation contradicting actions in others and avoid doing them oneself. Things like sticking live firecrackers in one’s mouth, driving while texting, lighting a hibachi in the middle of your deep-ply carpet, dialing ‘9-1-1’ for pizza delivery, or consistantly failing to punctuate sentences. Failing a Common Sense roll doesn’t necessarily automatically earn you a Darwin Award, but it may adversely affect others’ impressions of you, leading to a reputation for being simple-minded, possessed of poor judgment skills, or voted ‘least likely to be held up as a positive role model by your former school system’.
Common Sense carries with it the burden of being able to judge others; making one’s own Common Sense roll on an action, and then seeing another person badly botch theirs may require a subsequent roll under M.E. to avoid dumbstruck shock and Facepalming.
Base Skill: 50 % + 5% per level of experience
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

These last 4 skills (I'm counting common sense) have made my day. Thank you.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Now just imagine the sort of game where a GM would actually ALLOW those skills to be taken....and USED.

Or maybe pity the GM.

"Let's see, the last ten NPCs who approached us all tried to sell us a line of patter to go do something insanely stupid and dangerous, but between the three f us we saw right through the BS and saw it for what it was...an attempt to lure us into great danger for little reward. Obviously, the GM is itching to try out the new world book with ourselves as the guinea pigs for the new monsters."
"I didn't know you had genre-savvy."
"I do. Right here at the bottom of my character sheet."
"QUIT METAGAMING ME!!!!!"
"Made your roll for savvy too."
"Nah, that was my psychology roll. If I'd made my genre roll, the GM would be obliged to let me look at his game plan notes."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:Over-analyze Minutiae
What skill category does this fall into, technical?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Over-analyze Minutiae
What skill category does this fall into, technical?

I would say it should be put into both Communications and Technical categories.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Now just imagine the sort of game where a GM would actually ALLOW those skills to be taken....and USED.

Or maybe pity the GM.

"Let's see, the last ten NPCs who approached us all tried to sell us a line of patter to go do something insanely stupid and dangerous, but between the three f us we saw right through the BS and saw it for what it was...an attempt to lure us into great danger for little reward. Obviously, the GM is itching to try out the new world book with ourselves as the guinea pigs for the new monsters."
"I didn't know you had genre-savvy."
"I do. Right here at the bottom of my character sheet."
"QUIT METAGAMING ME!!!!!"
"Made your roll for savvy too."
"Nah, that was my psychology roll. If I'd made my genre roll, the GM would be obliged to let me look at his game plan notes."

When the players break the 4th wall lol!

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:[q

When the players break the 4th wall lol!

When the GM's cool hits it like a bug against a windshield.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Trolling(Communcations)
The practiced skill of driving other people to the edge of aggravated frustration through deliberate action, usually through seemingly casual innuendo, apparently unthinking acts of intellectual malfeasance, and the intentional use of habits known to be berserk buttons for people. The skill version of the superpower Annoyance Factor, Trolling is a -deliberate- practice in techniques meant to agitate. Such actions include(but not limited to): always interrupting a conversation to answer one’s cellphone, use of verbal tics like ‘You know-’, blatant constant mis-punctuation; or refusol t spellCheck(note, however, that some people do any or all of the above, and then some, -unconsciously-, and so cannot be said to be overtly Trolling).
A successful troll roll means that the troll has either brilliantly zingered the intended target, or blown their cool. Successful trolling has the target writhing in frustration, wanting either an escape or an excuse to challenge and hopefully get rid of the troller, but unable to do so.
A failed roll means that; 01-75% the Trolling attempt has fallen flat and the intended targets have taken no notice of it, 76-95%, the troll has succeeded in turning general sentiment against themselves and look either like a total idiot or a bully, or 96-00% the Troll attempt has overstepped the line of good taste and the target and bystanders now have perfect justification to take action, such as banning the troll from a web forum, having a restraining order issued, having them arrested, or physically defenestrated(forget the challenge to a duel).
Base Skill: 25 % + 5% per level of experience. +5% from both Public Speaking and Performance.+7% from Over-Analyze Minutiae(for those troll efforts posing as in-depth and at-length critical analysis)

Acoustics(Communications/Science)
The study of the behavior of sound. Covers infrasound, ultrasound, echo effects, and speed and range of sound under different conditions.
Acoustics gives a +10% to the operation and interpretation of sound-based sensor systems such as sonar, and a +10% to designing and engineering sound-associated equipment, including sonar systems, synthesizers, ultrasound gear, stereo systems, and architecture meant to amplify sound(such as concert halls) or dampen it(anechoic chambers).
Base Skill: 35 % + 5% per level of experience.

Crystallography(Science)
The study of atoms in the formation and properties of (non-mystic) crystalline structures. Researchers become familiar with the laboratory means to analyze crystal structure, especially x-ray or neutron beam diffraction. Those with this skill can better predict the properties of various crystals and can better design(with advanced technology) artificial crystals, such as those used in some forms of microcircuitry.
Prerequisites: Chemistry, Chemistry: Analytical
Bonuses: +10% to Gemology for purposes of identifying counterfeit gemstones. +5% to Microcircuitry and Chemistry: Analytical.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Trolling(Communcations)
The practiced skill of driving other people to the edge of aggravated frustration through deliberate action, usually through seemingly casual innuendo, apparently unthinking acts of intellectual malfeasance, and the intentional use of habits known to be berserk buttons for people. The skill version of the superpower Annoyance Factor, Trolling is a -deliberate- practice in techniques meant to agitate. Such actions include(but not limited to): always interrupting a conversation to answer one’s cellphone, use of verbal tics like ‘You know-’, blatant constant mis-punctuation; or refusol t spellCheck(note, however, that some people do any or all of the above, and then some, -unconsciously-, and so cannot be said to be overtly Trolling).
A successful troll roll means that the troll has either brilliantly zingered the intended target, or blown their cool. Successful trolling has the target writhing in frustration, wanting either an escape or an excuse to challenge and hopefully get rid of the troller, but unable to do so.
A failed roll means that; 01-75% the Trolling attempt has fallen flat and the intended targets have taken no notice of it, 76-95%, the troll has succeeded in turning general sentiment against themselves and look either like a total idiot or a bully, or 96-00% the Troll attempt has overstepped the line of good taste and the target and bystanders now have perfect justification to take action, such as banning the troll from a web forum, having a restraining order issued, having them arrested, or physically defenestrated(forget the challenge to a duel).
Base Skill: 25 % + 5% per level of experience. +5% from both Public Speaking and Performance.

A skill in Trolling? Oh Mylanta, Christmas has come early this year!

taalismn wrote:Acoustics(Communications/Science)
The study of the behavior of sound. Covers infrasound, ultrasound, echo effects, and speed and range of sound under different conditions.
Acoustics gives a +10% to the operation and interpretation of sound-based sensor systems such as sonar, and a +10% to designing and engineering sound-associated equipment, including sonar systems, synthesizers, ultrasound gear, stereo systems, and architecture meant to amplify sound(such as concert halls) or dampen it(anechoic chambers).
Base Skill: 35 % + 5% per level of experience.

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.

taalismn wrote:Crystallography(Science)
The study of atoms in the formation and properties of (non-mystic) crystalline structures. Researchers become familiar with the laboratory means to analyze crystal structure, especially x-ray or neutron beam diffraction. Those with this skill can better predict the properties of various crystals and can better design(with advanced technology) artificial crystals, such as those used in some forms of microcircuitry.
Prerequisites: Chemistry, Chemistry: Analytical
Bonuses: +10% to Gemology for purposes of identifying counterfeit gemstones. +5% to Microcircuitry and Chemistry: Analytical.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience.

Did anyone else immediately have Breaking Bad references pop up in their head when reading this?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.?

Jail-room cell with a white noise generator that effectively silences speech?

And I wonder if I should have given a bonus to Trolling if Over-Analyze Minutiae is also taken? :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.?

Jail-room cell with a white noise generator that effectively silences speech?

And I wonder if I should have given a bonus to Trolling if Over-Analyze Minutiae is also taken? :P

Yes, yes you should. But it has to be +3% or +7%, really anything BUT +5%
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Yes, yes you should. But it has to be +3% or +7%, really anything BUT +5%

Done and added. So if you're deliberately using acute scrutiny and overweening attention to detail to drag out a troll-stroll on somebody, having some experience in detail BB-stacking helps.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Trolling(Communcations)

Acoustics(Communications/Science)

Crystallography(Science)

I have characters i'd take acoustics and crystallography on, especially for science or cause I have a sonic power. As for trolling...I think I have the subconscious version of this skill.

cool!
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:[

I have characters i'd take acoustics and crystallography on, especially for science or cause I have a sonic power. As for trolling...I think I have the subconscious version of this skill.

cool!

Fear the UNconsciously natural trolls....Because you can't find a true excuse to render them ACTUALLY unconscious.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Forestry(Wilderness)
The practice of conscientious forest and woodland management. Aspects of forestry include identifying various forest types, niche environs, assessment of forest health, and evaluating risk factors in the environment. Practical applications of the skill include sustainable harvesting of forests, maintenance of game parks and wildlife conservation areas, replanting efforts, and managing forest fires(knowing how and when to set controlled burns for instance).
Requirements: Identify Plants and Fruits
Bonuses: +5% to Firefighting(specifically forest fires) and Landscaping.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience. +5% if Botany is also taken.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Didnt the 'BS detector' skill show up in the new rifts sovietski book? I think its a class skill. 'Used to being fed propaganda so developed a sense of when they're being sold a loaf' or something to that effect. Healthy sense of paranoia skill...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”