So, wow...

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MDGiest
Wanderer

So, wow...

Unread post by MDGiest »

This is just my thoughts on Robotech Tactics...and it's death so to speak.

I have been a huge Robotech fan ever since I was like 7 when I watched the toon on TV. At 12 I discovered Palladiubooks Robotech RPG and had so much fun with it over the years. In fact, it was because of Robotech that I came to find Rifts. Been playing both ever since. A couple years ago when they announced Robotech Tactics I was super excited...I was broke so I couldn't help with the crowd funding, but I was happy to see something new being done with Robotech. Having just started a family around the time it released, I haven't been able to justify spending the money to buy the starter box, plus there is a reason I got out of mini-gaming with Gamesworkshop charging so much for a core rule book ($100? REALLY?).

I digress though.

So, this past Christmas I ordered the grab bag and put the Robotech Tactics starter box down on my wishlist. Low-and-behold, I got it! I immediately started looking at buying the booster kits to add to my army. I was eager to begin doing custom paint jobs on the mecha, working on my own color schemes for the VTs.

And now this. No source for buying said booster kits ever again. Oh sure, I can find them on ebay...at about a 25% mark up. Which even the mark-up wouldn't be so bad except, who am I going to play this with now? I can't really sell the idea of trying a discontinued game to friends when it is difficult to find a place to buy it from. And supplies will only dwindle from here on out.

I guess it is fortunate I haven't popped any of the minis out of the sprues, because the only thing I can do now is turn around and sell it. No reason to get all excited and involved in the game at this point.

Note that I am not trying to gripe or lay blame or anything, do don't bother replying with your comments on who is at fault or who to blame for it not taking off, there are a ton of other threads with people doing that, go there please.
"I don't care who's right..Let's go kill something." Graffiti at Newtown

"You are the dumbest...smart person, I've ever met!" (Ive forgoteen who said it, but damn it was funny)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: So, wow...

Unread post by jaymz »

MDGiest wrote:This is just my thoughts on Robotech Tactics...and it's death so to speak.

No reason to get all excited and involved in the game at this point.

There is a reason. You have enough to play. Over time you can add to it or, if you wish too, use the Paper "minis" that were put out there. The game while officially dad is sort of still alive by it's fans. In fact when i was still involved with the fan community, we went ahead and did the later generations and even did more Macross material as well. Some of us moved on to try and make use of the minis in different systems (I myself am working using a slightly modified Battletech Alpha Strike rule set)

So chin up, if you love it, then play it. There are ways to do so. Make it happen.

PS - you are welcome to PM me and we can discuss it further.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

You sound similar to me and how I got into Robtech and Palladium. And I was in a similar place in not really having the money when the KS started, I didn't have a job at that time. But Robotech has always been my kryptonite and because of that, I went in on the KS. I still don't regret it. I also don't really have anyone to place it were I live, but I've enjoyed the game every time I've played it. It also help me get into other mini games. So go ahead and slowly put them together. At the least, if you can, and there is another Open House, then come, I'm sure there will be some who would still want to play the game with you. I know I would.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

There will be plenty of cheap RTT on eBay in the future.

I highly suggest setting up pre-set searches on eBay for various bits you would be interested in. Then you can watch them and snipe them if you like the price.

That's how I do my Warhammer armies.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Spinachcat wrote:There will be plenty of cheap RTT on eBay in the future.

possibly. most of the unopened stuff is gonna skyrocket in price as it gets more rare. even short term expect prices to be a bit above the list prices, even those sold by people who are just unloading their refund-in-kind. but odds are people will eventually start unloading their collections in a year or so, which might be cheaper.

and well, the good news is that there is the start of a fairly strong streak of support for RTT in the 3D printer communities, with a number of sellers on Shapeways and other such sites. till now they'd mainly done stuff for 'wave 2' content, or the non-macross Era's, but i've seen a few of them starting to post the basic wave 1 mecha options already. lots of them aren't all that great (most are static poses and detail quality varies), and the prices are variable, but it is a start.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:There will be plenty of cheap RTT on eBay in the future.

possibly. most of the unopened stuff is gonna skyrocket in price as it gets more rare. even short term expect prices to be a bit above the list prices, even those sold by people who are just unloading their refund-in-kind. but odds are people will eventually start unloading their collections in a year or so, which might be cheaper.

and well, the good news is that there is the start of a fairly strong streak of support for RTT in the 3D printer communities, with a number of sellers on Shapeways and other such sites. till now they'd mainly done stuff for 'wave 2' content, or the non-macross Era's, but i've seen a few of them starting to post the basic wave 1 mecha options already. lots of them aren't all that great (most are static poses and detail quality varies), and the prices are variable, but it is a start.

I've been seeing those also. I SO want them!
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

glitterboy2098 wrote:and well, the good news is that there is the start of a fairly strong streak of support for RTT in the 3D printer communities, with a number of sellers on Shapeways and other such sites. till now they'd mainly done stuff for 'wave 2' content, or the non-macross Era's, but i've seen a few of them starting to post the basic wave 1 mecha options already. lots of them aren't all that great (most are static poses and detail quality varies), and the prices are variable, but it is a start.

This is where the future of RRT will be so long as people continue to work on it. The cards are free to download at sites that act as wiki's, and there's a PDF rip of the rule book here and there.

As far as quality, it depends on the printer and the materials used, and some are better than others. Shopping around is the best way to go. In time the designs will get better as people spend more time putting work into the models.

Ebay is also good, though it will be more expensive, as it is better than nothing.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
NukeBass
D-Bee

Unread post by NukeBass »

I am not a backer, either, and am not a miniatures gamer but Robotech was my first RPG and my favorite cartoon so I was sort of interested in it. I passed on backing it and buying retail when I saw it because I had other things to spend the money on at the time and I wasn't a miniatures gamer. Then, in 2016, I randomly went to Palladium's web page and saw the surprise package thing. Deep in the print was the starter box. The way it was worded made it sound like they were in limited supply and, having not followed any of the game info to that point, I thought it would be hard to get. I even emailed customer service to see if any were still available (kind of crazy in hindsight, but I didn't know better). Half price was worth the chance and it was Robotech so I was bound to enjoy it in some way. Then I had to figure out how to put it together and that's when I went to the web and found the all the history associated with the game.

Two years later, despite all of the issues, I bought a few boxes during the last Christmas sale and then I bought more stuff during the clearance sale (which I subsequently feel a little bad about reading backers who didn't get Spartan boxes when I bought three...I made the assumption they had plenty and nobody who wanted the exchange would be left out). Bottom line, I have enjoyed playing the game, my 9 year old likes it and my 5 year old really wants his own Officer's Pod, so, despite all of the issues and problems with the game, it is still enjoyable to us.

I'm rambling a bit, but, I'd say read through the rule book, see if you think you'll like it and play it with the paper pieces and then decide if you want to put the models together. You don't have anything to lose and you might enjoy the game.
Alpha 11
Palladin

NukeBass wrote:I am not a backer, either, and am not a miniatures gamer but Robotech was my first RPG and my favorite cartoon so I was sort of interested in it. I passed on backing it and buying retail when I saw it because I had other things to spend the money on at the time and I wasn't a miniatures gamer. Then, in 2016, I randomly went to Palladium's web page and saw the surprise package thing. Deep in the print was the starter box. The way it was worded made it sound like they were in limited supply and, having not followed any of the game info to that point, I thought it would be hard to get. I even emailed customer service to see if any were still available (kind of crazy in hindsight, but I didn't know better). Half price was worth the chance and it was Robotech so I was bound to enjoy it in some way. Then I had to figure out how to put it together and that's when I went to the web and found the all the history associated with the game.

Two years later, despite all of the issues, I bought a few boxes during the last Christmas sale and then I bought more stuff during the clearance sale (which I subsequently feel a little bad about reading backers who didn't get Spartan boxes when I bought three...I made the assumption they had plenty and nobody who wanted the exchange would be left out). Bottom line, I have enjoyed playing the game, my 9 year old likes it and my 5 year old really wants his own Officer's Pod, so, despite all of the issues and problems with the game, it is still enjoyable to us.

I'm rambling a bit, but, I'd say read through the rule book, see if you think you'll like it and play it with the paper pieces and then decide if you want to put the models together. You don't have anything to lose and you might enjoy the game.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. There are some places on facebook that are trying to continue this and expand on it, so if you want, go there and see if you want to expand on your armies.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”