Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Coffee Zombie
D-Bee

Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

Unread post by Coffee Zombie »

So I was debating picking up Armageddon Unlimited to use in my home game of Heroes Unlimited, and have begun to weave in a few plot elements in preparation to use the book material, when I had a thought. The thought came to me mainly because of the way I was foreshadowing the AU plot approaching, but it reminded me of the Dark Day event in Nightbane, and I wondered: how well would a Heroes Unlimited crew do in the Nightbane world?

Has anyone else tried crossing these two. I don't intend on introducing the Nightbane themselves, but rather having the super heroes be the resistance against the dominion of the Nightlords. While I currently lack a copy of Nightbane (time to buy a copy, I think), I've played a lot of it earlier in the century and enjoyed the challenge level. It feels on the surface like a good plot to use, can anyone see a distinct flaw or problem with the idea?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Using Dark Day for Heroes Unlimited

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I did it ages past, but I also used Nightbane in my games which let the heroes have access to the Nightlands a lot easier. In my game the Nightlords were quick to frame most of the actions of Dark Day on the hero community with a large amount of them rounded up in my version of 'The Raft' leaving my group having to work with villains to try and stop them. Sadly we only got 3 or 4 sessions in before RL intruded so they never got to see if Dr Vindicus' super science dimensional stabilizer was going to block off their world from the Nightlands again.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think it's a natural fit! The Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide has an adventure which crosses Superheroes and Nightbane, and the Nightbane Book Between the Shadows contains a good short write-up on crossing the two as well. Nightbane make great super heroes or villains in a Hero game, and superheroes fit into Nightbane about as well as the paychics. I think the two work really well together and my Heroes Unlimited games ALWAYS have elements of (pre-Dark Day) Nightbane in them, mixed and pulled from all the books.

In my previous Heroes Unlimited game, one of the PC's was a Nightbane Sorceress and she was learning about her heritage as the game went along. We fleshed out Nightlands Century Station and set the stage for Dark Day to be the next big threat before we shelved the game.

I would watch out for power level issues. Nightbane can tend to be on the "high side" of character power level when compared to superheroes. Lots of SDC, a bunch of great Talents, Supernatural Strength, and incredible healing make them pretty powerful. I usually restrict the Nightbane to having a Morpheus that "fits" with a modern hero world. Animal/Lycanthrope, Power Armor, A Ken or Barbie, or just mildly weird enough to be considered a mutant or alien.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Coffee Zombie
D-Bee

Unread post by Coffee Zombie »

One of the PCs is a wizard, so I'm thinking I could have the wizard learn a spell that allows travel to the Nightlands, for when that's required. Or I might have "permanent portals" present. But thanks for the feedback, now I have to think which arm of the plot I want to proceed with after all.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I like the idea of mixing characters from Heroes Unlimited and Nightbane but have yet to do so. I do use the Nightbane books as source material for HU2, however.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I'm not a huge fan of Nightbane, though I suspect the Heroes would run rampant if they wanted to. Super heroes in general do well in all genre games. My favorite was when I took my Super Heroes to medieval times and fantasy setting. Magic was an equalizer and the knights were a surprisingly skilled bunch when holding fortified castles grounds or siege the players HQ... Well the HQ did not last long as the knights could siege the heck out of most fortified buildings.

It was a fun twist.

I say do it.

The game is what you make it. Super Heroes will take care of their own. LOL
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like the idea of mixing characters from Heroes Unlimited and Nightbane but have yet to do so. I do use the Nightbane books as source material for HU2, however.

:D
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like the idea of mixing characters from Heroes Unlimited and Nightbane but have yet to do so. I do use the Nightbane books as source material for HU2, however.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It has always been a great fit. Dark Day mixed with Days of Future is how I've run an epic campaign in the past. Our HU world has always had Nightbane, and a lot of other elements from Nightbane from the start.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

One idea I had from the GM guide, they suggest that even an intangible character could suffer a 1d6 from a darkblade. So I thought what if the intangible [N?]PC is the one with the the blade? So he can be ghostly and still damage the tangible PCs.....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”