Musings of an RPG Elitist: Immersion is King.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Musings of an RPG Elitist: Immersion is King.

Unread post by Glistam »

Not everyone can be Matt Mercer. Some of us are just trying our best.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
kennethk
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by kennethk »

Honestly, everything you listed is what you consider a good GM. That does not make it those the sole requirements for a good GM. Some players honestly do not care about immersion, gaming is a social event to hang out with their nerd friends and have fun and break stuff. Some take their gaming very serious, as it seems you do. Some like to mix it up some, and keep the immersion going but still like a bit of light heartedness

My personal opinion, the best GM is the one who can figure out what his players are looking for and delivering it, and also being able to adapt when required.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Just popping in to respond to the "Matt Mercer is the one great example" comment.

I have no bone to pick here, but I figured I'd offer a relevant suggestion.

The GM in this Rifts campaign I think is really really good.
https://youtu.be/vIec1Yg-imY

He's dealing with a bunch of tabletop newbies who know nothing of Rifts. His ability to change things up at the spur of the moment (or rather at the whim of his players) is admirable.

He plays fast and loose with the rules, but that doesn't bother me at all. The players are super into it.

I have a hard time following online tabletop games. That goes for both this one and Critical Role, and every single other one. I made it quite far in this one, despite my inherent difficulty following this format, and at least one overly obnoxious player. It's success with me is all due to the GM (I love rifts, but I haven't made it through even a single full session of any other stream, and I'm constantly looking for them and trying them out when they appear, 'cause somehow I think things will change).

Anywhoo, maybe you'll get some mileage out of it.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”