Random gemstones

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Random gemstones

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Does anyone know of any random gemstone generation tables (along with their half carat value) for Rifts? I want to be able to roll up random gems for the games I'm GMing at the moment, to help the mechanic of the group.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Random gemstones

Unread post by filo_clarke »

For Rifts, no.

The Hackmaster GMs Guide had the best one I ever saw, if you can get a hold of a copy.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

RainbowDevil wrote:Does anyone know of any random gemstone generation tables (along with their half carat value) for Rifts? I want to be able to roll up random gems for the games I'm GMing at the moment, to help the mechanic of the group.

The best way I have found to do this is I simply made a list of the prices of gems, from smallest to largest.
I then roll up the value of the horde, and look on the list to see what gems fall in that range, and either pick or roll to see what that is

So if I roll up that the party finds 30,000 in gems and that its 10 cts I need something that is going to be around 2-3,000 per ct (I can fudge the number a bit because a single large gem is going to be much more valuable than multiple small ones)
I look at the list and Clear Zircon, Malachite and Black Garnet are all 2,500 per ct.
Presto I decide that they find a flawless 10ct deep black garnet and that it has a 'market value' of 30,000

I have done slightly different as well.
For example, the group finds a huge cache of diamonds in ruined vault. I decide that it is worth 5,000,000 cr but that it is going to be in .25 ct stones.
rounding that is 1334 tiny little diamonds to keep track of. But if they don't loose any of them they are going to have a nice payday once they find someone to off load them onto with out crashing the market.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. :)
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

i played a game once where the players got paid in a bag of gems, without giving them any information, i had each player roll a D4, the color of the die the player choose to roll represented the gem and the number on the die determined the worth of the gem in the bag, this was fun because most players have several dice to choose from, so what every random color they choose was the gem,
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

mercedogre wrote:i played a game once where the players got paid in a bag of gems, without giving them any information, i had each player roll a D4, the color of the die the player choose to roll represented the gem and the number on the die determined the worth of the gem in the bag, this was fun because most players have several dice to choose from, so what every random color they choose was the gem,

I like this. I like this a lot. Consider it borrowed.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

From World Book 2:

Agate (red-orange): Heal Wounds (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 175).
Average cost: 3D4x 10 credits per small stone (double for large stones).

Amber: Detect Concealment (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 169).
Average cost: 2D6 x 100 credits per small stone (triple for large stones).

Alexandrite: Eyes of the Wolf (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 180).
Average cost: 1D6 x 1000 credits per small stone (triple for large stones).

Amethyst crystal: Any of the following psionic powers can be drawn from this crystal: detect psionics, hypnotic suggestion, and meditation.
Average cost: 2D4 x 100 credits per small stone (triple for large stones).

Aquamarine: Swim as the Fish: Superior (same as the spell; see
Rifts, page 175). Average cost: 1D4X1000 credits per small stone
(triple for large stones).

Diamond: Invulnerability or Fly as the Eagle (same as the spells; see Rifts, page 178 and 175). Average cost for a small, nicely cut diamond: lD6x 1000 credits. Large diamonds cost 15,000 credits per carat. The diamond must be at least one carat to use the power of invulnerability (counts as a large gem).
Diamonds and emeralds can also be used to store P.P.E. energy. The gem must be at least one carat and can hold as much as 25 P.P.E. points. To charge the gem with energy, the mage must meditate at a ley line nexus or stone pyramid and channel some of its energy into the gem. The entire process takes about 10 minutes. Gems used as P.P.E. storage batteries can be used only as a battery (cannot be drawn upon for magic powers). The energy can be drawn on at any time by the stone master as long as it is in his possession. The gem can be charged up to six times before crumbling.

Emerald (green): Invisibility: Superior (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 178).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut emerald: lD6x 1000 credits. Large emeralds cost 16,000 credits per carat.

Garnet: Empathy (same as the psionic power).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut garnet: 4D4x 100 credits. Large garnets cost 1,000 credits per carat.

Quartz (clear): Globe of Daylight (same as the spell; see Rifts page 168).
Average cost: 3D4x 10 credits per small stone (triple for large stones).

Quartz (rose): Cure Illness (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 176).
Average cost: 5D6 x 10 credits per small stone (quadruple for large stones).

Quartz (ruby): Energy Disruption (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 174)
Average cost: 6D6 x 10 credits per small stone (quadruple for large stones).

Quartz (smoky): Impervious to Fire (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 171).
Average cost: 5D6X 10 credits per small stone (triple for large stones).

Ruby (deep red): Fire Ball (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 176).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut ruby: 1D6X 1000 credits. Large rubies cost 19,000 credits per carat.

Ruby (blue): Wisps of Confusion (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 182).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut ruby: 1D6X 1000 credits. Large rubies cost 18,000 credits per carat.

Sapphire (black): Shadow Meld (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 173).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut saphire: 2D4 X 1000 credits.

Large sapphire cost 20,000 credits per carat.

Star Sapphire: Bio-manipulation (same as the super psionic power).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut star sapphire: 2D4 X 1000 credits. Large star sapphires cost 20,000 credits per carat.

Sapphire (most other colors): Empathic Transfer (same as the super psionic power).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut sapphire: 1D6 x 1000 credits. Large sapphires cost 16,000 credits per carat.

Salt Crystals (off-white color): Protection from Faeries, + 2 to save vs faerie magic and the faerie will not come closer than six feet (1.8 m) to the protected character.

Sulfur Crystals (yellow in color): Cloud of Smoke (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 168).
Average cost for a small crystal: 2D4 x 10 credits (triple for large crystals).

Topaz (yellow or brown): Negate Poison (same as the spell; see Rifts, page 171).
Average cost for a small crystal: lD4x 100 credits (triple for large crystals).

Tourmaline (black): Mind Block (same as the psionic power).
Average cost: 2D6 x 10 credits per small stone (double for large stones).

Zircon (clear): Float in Air or Escape (same as the spells; see Rifts, page 170 and 175).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut zircon: 4D6x 100 credits. Large zircon costs 3500 credits per carat.

Zircon (red): Impervious to Energy or shoot Fire Bolt (same as the spells; see Rifts, page 171 and 173).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut zircon: 3D4 x 100 credits. Large zircon costs 2000 credits per carat.

Zircon (yellow, brown or gold): Fool's Gold or Mask of Deceit (same as the spells; see Rifts, page 172 and 176).
Average cost for a small, nicely cut zircon: 4D4X100 credits. Large zircon costs 300 credits per carat.

Note about precious gems: Precious gem stones tend to cost much more in the world of Rifts than in our modern Earth, because they are far less accessible. Gems are typically found only in certain places in the world and may be very difficult to acquire. Rubies and sapphires of all kinds are especially rare in North and South America and Europe. The are found primarily in Burma, Thailand and Sri Lanka (they are typically 40% less expensive at those geographic locations). Emeralds are found mainly in Colombia (South America), Egypt, and South Africa, Aquamarine is found in Brazil, Colombia, Siberia, and the Urals (Russia). Diamonds are most abundant in South Africa. Brazil, Venezuela, and found to a lesser degree in all of Africa and parts of Colombia, Mongolia, Siberia and the Urals (Russia). Synthetic diamonds and synthetic zircon (man-made) do not work for magic.

Your problem to make a random table or whatever.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

HACKMASTER 5th EDITION

https://i.imgur.com/DzxEaCj.jpg
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Shorty Lickens wrote:HACKMASTER 5th EDITION

https://i.imgur.com/DzxEaCj.jpg

No, that's not it. The original Hackmaster v.3.25 had rolling tables to determine the gem type, size, clarity, imperfections, etc. You could roll anything from a tiny, badly flawed bloodstone, to huge, perfect diamond. It even allowed you to calculate the base value of the gems based on those rolls.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

not gonna find the old version. unless maybe someone on ebay is selling it for eight hundred dollars.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

I lied. It took about 20 minutes of digging.

https://i.imgur.com/AqBhpjb.jpg
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Yeah, THAT'S IT!!!

Well done, sir!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”