NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wow, Manipulate Glass has a lot of abilities. Not enough to tip it into being a Mega, but close.

A lot of abilities, yes, but I really don't think any of them are particularly powerful...and the baseline power applies to silica glass...now, these days we're seeing a lot more polymer-glass, hence the need to sacrifice skills of power slots to extend the powers to other forms of glass. ;)
No, not overly powerful. You did a good job.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]No, not overly powerful. You did a good job.

Thanks. Now, mind you, if the power conferred elemental power over -anything- and -everything- with silicon in it, THEN we're talking Megapower. :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

From another thread, I thought I would bring in..

Energy Blade (minor)
Energy Blade is a modified companion power to Energy Expulsion and comes in the same basic ‘flavors’
To convert follow the following formula:
Energy Expulsion: <energy type> ==> Energy Blade: <energy type>
Damage stays the same.
Instead of the normal EE strike bonus the new strike bonus is PP+WP bonuses+(other relevant skills)+1 (Because it was a natural part of them so easier to control than an artificial weapon)
It is 'solid' enough that it could be used to parry even though it is made out of energy. (and at +1 for the same reason as the strike bonus)
If the original power allows for dual strikes at a particular level, then at that level gain the ability to create two blades and the WP: Paired (Energy Blades) skill
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Has anyone noticed the Black Vault website has been shut down? How do we proceed from here?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

89er wrote:Has anyone noticed the Black Vault website has been shut down? How do we proceed from here?
Nimmy is in the process of getting the money to get it back up and running.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I wanted something a step up from "normal" sight and hearing, but a step down from "superhuman." I thought this worked well as a Minor power compromise.

Advanced Vision & Hearing

The character's vision and hearing are both enhanced to peak human ability. Vision is sharp enough that he or she can read a small sign or recognize a face from up to a mile away. Hearing is so clear that nearby sounds as faint as light footsteps or breathing can be heard, while a whisper can be heard from up 50 feet away. The character can estimate the direction a sound is coming from at a skill of 50%, +5% per level. Bonuses: +1 to dodge, +2 to initiative, +3 to perception.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I gave the minor power some more thought; since there's a major power in the Black Vault Wiki that just lets someone pick 5 minor sense powers for one major, I figured this power could use a small upgrade. I also got some good suggestions of how to add the other senses from NMI. Lastly, I finally figured out how to access the code for the template, so now the updated version is below:

Minor or Major power: Superlative Senses
-Glistam-

"It's over there, don't you see it? I resent that. Yes, I heard what you mumbled just now. I smelled it too - you could use a breath mint. And a bath."

The character's five senses are enhanced to peak human ability. If selected as a Minor power, the character must choose two senses from the list following. If selected as a Major power, the character acquires all five.

1. Sight:
The character has 20/10 eyesight. Vision is sharp enough that he or she can read a small sign or recognize a face from up to a mile away.
Range: 1 mile (1.6 km).
Bonuses: +2 to Perception (if used).

2. Hearing:
The character can hear clearly within the full audio range of normal human hearing (from 15-20 Hz to 20-28 kHz). Nearby sounds as faint as light footsteps or breathing can be heard, while a whisper can be heard from up to 50 feet (15 m) away. The character can estimate the direction a sound is coming from at a skill of 50%, +5% per level of experience.
Range: 50 feet (15 m).
Bonuses: +1 to Dodge, +2 to Initiative, +1 to Perception (if used).

3. Taste:
The character has a refined palate which allows them to identify the specific ingredients in anything they eat or drink with a skill proficiency of 50%, +4% per level of experience. Only common/ normal ingredients can be identified in this manner. The presence of exotic tastes such as toxins and poisons can be determined with a successful skill roll, but what they are cannot be identified in this manner. The character also receives a one-time skill bonus of +10% to the Cooking skill.
Range: Self.

4. Smell:
The character has an olfactory sensitivity which allows him or her to recognize any smells within 50 feet (15 m) which have been encountered previously. The base skill for this is 50%, +4% per level of experience. The character cannot track scents with this ability but is very difficult to sneak up on.
Bonuses: +1 to Initiative.

5. Touch:
The character is able to discern minute details of an objects surface by touch, allowing him or her to recognize imperfections or material type at a skill of 50%, +2% per level of experience. Their hands are dexterous and sensitive, providing a one-time skill bonus of +5% to skills which can benefit from a deft touch.
Range: Touch.

Notes:
If selected as a Minor power, this power can be taken twice. When selected a second time the character acquires the remaining three Senses. Any of the Minor powers of Heightened Sense of... will replace the Superlative Sense from this power - the bonuses and abilities of the two do not add together.
Last edited by Glistam on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glistam wrote:I gave the minor power some more thought; since there's a major power in the Black Vault Wiki that just lets someone pick 5 minor sense powers for one major, I figured this power could use a small upgrade. I also got some good suggestions of how to add the other senses from NMI. Lastly, I finally figured out how to access the code for the template, so now the updated version is below:

-Glistam-

"It's over there, don't you see it? I resent that. Yes, I heard what you mumbled just now. I smelled it too - you could use a breath mint. And a bath."

The character's five senses are enhanced to peak human ability. If selected as a Minor power, the character must choose two senses from the list following. If selected as a Major power, the character acquires all five.

1. Sight:
The character has 20/10 eyesight. Vision is sharp enough that he or she can read a small sign or recognize a face from up to a mile away.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike, +2 to Perception (if used).

2. Hearing:
The character can hear clearly within the full audio range of normal human hearing (from 15-20 Hz to 20-28 kHz). Nearby sounds as faint as light footsteps or breathing can be heard, while a whisper can be heard from up to 50 feet (15 m) away. The character can estimate the direction a sound is coming from at a skill of 50%, +5% per level of experience.
Bonuses: +1 to Dodge, +1 to Initiative, +1 to Perception (if used).

3. Taste:
The character has a refined palate which allows them to identify the specific ingredients in anything they eat or drink with a skill proficiency of 50%, +4% per level of experience. Only common/ normal ingredients can be identified in this manner. The presence of exotic tastes such as toxins and poisons can be determined with a successful skill roll, but what they are cannot be identified in this manner. The character also receives a one-time skill bonus of +10% to the Cooking skill.

4. Smell:
The character has an olfactory sensitivity which allows him or her to recognize any smells within 50 feet (15 m) which have been encountered previously. The base skill for this is 50%, +4% per level of experience. The character cannot track scents with this ability but is very difficult to sneak up on.

5. Touch:
The character is able to discern minute details of an objects surface by touch, allowing him or her to recognize imperfections or material type at a skill of 50%, +2% per level of experience. Their hands are dexterous and sensitive, providing a one-time skill bonus of +5% to skills which can benefit from a deft touch.

Notes:
If selected as a Minor power, this power can be taken twice. When selected a second time the character acquires the remaining three Senses. Any of the Minor powers of Heightened Sense of... will replace the Superlative Sense from this power - the bonuses and abilities of the two do not add together.
You could have also just made the character do random rolls for the two abilities for the minor version.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

True. That never even occurred to me as something anyone would want.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glistam wrote:True. That never even occurred to me as something anyone would want.
It basically comes down to how random you want to be with character creation.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I edited my power to remove the strike bonus for sight (the full Superhuman power has no such bonus), and I increased the Hearing initiative bonus since the full Heightened power gives a +6.

I didn't add the random factor into the description but if someone wanted to do that, I would have them roll 1D6 and get the power that corresponds to that number. On a 6 or a duplicate, they get to choose (or can roll again).

taalismn
Priest

Glistam wrote:I edited my power to remove the strike bonus for sight (the full Superhuman power has no such bonus), and I increased the Hearing initiative bonus since the full Heightened power gives a +6.

I didn't add the random factor into the description but if someone wanted to do that, I would have them roll 1D6 and get the power that corresponds to that number. On a 6 or a duplicate, they get to choose (or can roll again).

Works for me...
In general, though, I figure stats should be random, not the power selection under a specifically-titled power, unless one specifically titles the power 'chaotic-' or 'grab-bag'Power X.... :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Glistam wrote:I gave the minor power some more thought; since there's a major power in the Black Vault Wiki that just lets someone pick 5 minor sense powers for one major, I figured this power could use a small upgrade. I also got some good suggestions of how to add the other senses from NMI. Lastly, I finally figured out how to access the code for the template, so now the updated version is below:

-Glistam-

1. Sight:
Bonuses: +2 to Perception (if used).

2. Hearing:
Bonuses: +1 to Dodge, +2 to Initiative, +1 to Perception (if used).

3. Taste:

4. Smell:

5. Touch:

Notes:

Really like this one!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Me twist please update my soda powers suggestion on this thread & i’d Like a foam breath weapon along those lines if possible.
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:Me twist please update my soda powers suggestion on this thread & i’d Like a foam breath weapon along those lines if possible.

Why not rewrite it, -stat- it out, and post it for peer review? That way you can include all the features you want, the power levels you feel are appropriate, and the aspects and conditions you feel it should have, as well as whether it's a Minor or Major power, and then rewrite it as necessary, from the feedback you get.
That moves it beyond the suggestion state and also establishes it firmly as your baby, with the credit where it belongs. Much more satisfying, I think you'll find, to produce a quenching drink of substance, rather than a vague notion of soda.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:Me twist please update my soda powers suggestion on this thread & i’d Like a foam breath weapon along those lines if possible.
I don't think Mr. Twist gets on here anymore. PM me with the power suggestion and I will see what I can do.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I don't think Mr. Twist gets on here anymore. PM me with the power suggestion and I will see what I can do.
I can only do this if you give me a link to the page the power is on or post the suggestion again. I don't have the time or patience to search for it.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I can only do this if you give me a link to the page the power is on or post the suggestion again. I don't have the time or patience to search for it.

Yeesh even gargoyles are busy these days...
Major
Matter Expulsion: Potato

This Power allows you to generate Potatoes for various and diverse purposes.

1. Potato Cannon: Fires a Potato from your palm or fist
Range: 150ft per lvl
Damage: 2d6 + 1d6 per every 2 levels after 1st per each potato fired, may fire a volley of 2, one from each hand
Attacks per melee: Each single shot or volley counts as 1 attack

2. Hot Potato: Generates a large blistering hot potato that may be thrown and detonated as desired
Range: 50ft per lvl
Damage: 3d6 damage to a 15ft area (in a blast of superheated potato)
Attacks per Melee: Each attack may generate and throw or place one hot potato
Duration: 1 hour per lvl of character or until detonated
Hot potatoes may be generated as a set, all potatoes in a set will detonate together, but once a new set is started an old one may not be added to. Thrown potatoes will detonate on contact.

3. Potato Mine

Range: 5 ft
Damage: 3d6 +1d6 per lvl to 5 ft
Attacks per melee: Placing each mine uses 1 action
Duration: 1 hour per lvl of character or until disturbed
Potato mines explode when sufficient pressure or movement is applied to trigger them, though the "trigger" may be set to heavier or lighter weights it is normally about enough for a grown adult stepping on it to set it off. The potatoes form 1-2 inches below the ground.

4. Potato Armor
A layer of potato forms over the hero as a form of armor, they may also camoflage themselves as a giant potato...though the creator of this power has no idea why they would want to besides "potatoes"
A.R. 8
Sdc +25 per lvl of the character

5. Generate Potatoes:
The character can generate healthy nutrient filled potatoes at about a pound per lvl of experience. These are incredibly healthy and can even be survived on alone for long periods of time though a method of preparation may be desired. They may also generate potatoes that have grown eyes and are therefore poisonous and unfit to eat, depending on doses eaten these may require a roll of 16 or better to avoid everthing from cramps to hallucinations or a roll of 14 or better to avoid death. They may also create a large extra strong potato as a 1d6 bludgeoning weapon.

For Nuclear Doom Potatoes please contact the Headquarters of the Super Potato and ask about his powers, they are not covered in this power
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:[
Major

Any extra damage for yams?

If I use my Fermentation power on the superpower-generated potatoes do I get ordinary vodka, or extra-proof/enhanced vodka? :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Major

Any extra damage for yams?

If I use my Fermentation power on the superpower-generated potatoes do I get ordinary vodka, or extra-proof/enhanced vodka? :bandit:

Damage is as stated, this is a strain of super potato not yam

and that depends on one thing, do you drink vodka or does vodka drink you comrade? the only way to know...is to make super potato into vodka and see who stands at the end, super hero or super vodka only one may stand and one must fall, we only know that if you stand after battle with super vodka, you have so much hair on chest bear fall in love with you

You did read all that with an appropriate (or inappropriate accent) as the case may be? Also all of that above is pretty much amazing vodka based nonsense, the appropriate answer is yes it makes amazing vodka and if your making potatoes specifically for vodka its even better...I may not be a drinker but I can't allow a power I make to fail my ancestors and not provide a good drink!
taalismn
Priest

You did read all that with an appropriate (or inappropriate accent) as the case may be? Also all of that above is pretty much amazing vodka based nonsense, the appropriate answer is yes it makes amazing vodka and if your making potatoes specifically for vodka its even better...I may not be a drinker but I can't allow a power I make to fail my ancestors and not provide a good drink!

Although it may be a case of not wanting to know how your drink is made.

"Look, Intoxicator, have you considered that those potatoes are made from energy? And where does that energy come from? You really want to be drinking something infused with the essence of Spudman?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:

Although it may be a case of not wanting to know how your drink is made.

"Look, Intoxicator, have you considered that those potatoes are made from energy? And where does that energy come from? You really want to be drinking something infused with the essence of Spudman?"

your just trying to improve your HF powers chances of stunning me!...i'll give it a +2
taalismn
Priest

your just trying to improve your HF powers chances of stunning me!...i'll give it a +2

Spudman's worth at least a +3. You know when was the last time he washed his socks?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:

Spudman's worth at least a +3. You know when was the last time he washed his socks?

Yesterday...in potato water
taalismn
Priest

Regenerative Spirit(Minor)
“Two whole days I was deep in the pits of depression, feeling totally worthless, contemplating ending myself ...then I remembered how utterly freakin’ -awesome- I really am.”
The character has a deep subconscious reservoir of tenacity and mental strength that comes to the fore when he’s been mentally torn down. In cases of powers or events that do damage to M.E., even normally permanent damage(such as the use of the Mind Wipe power), the character can regenerate M.E., thanks to this mental ‘second wind’. The character may be down and out, but it’s only temporary, as, when his M.E. regenerates to its previous level, he or she can make a second roll versus the insanity or addiction(or, if the character has picked up an insanity without some sort of ME loss, they can roll again to save versus insanity after 1d4 days-their ME in hours).
+1d4 M.E.
Regenerates/regains ME at 1 point per hour.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Regenerative Spirit(Minor)
“Two whole days I was deep in the pits of depression, feeling totally worthless, contemplating ending myself ...then I remembered how utterly freakin’ -awesome- I really am.”
The character has a deep subconscious reservoir of tenacity and mental strength that comes to the fore when he’s been mentally torn down. In cases of powers or events that do damage to M.E., even normally permanent damage(such as the use of the Mind Wipe power), the character can regenerate M.E., thanks to this mental ‘second wind’. The character may be down and out, but it’s only temporary, as, when his M.E. regenerates to its previous level, he or she can make a second roll versus the insanity or addiction(or, if the character has picked up an insanity without some sort of ME loss, they can roll again to save versus insanity after 1d4 days-their ME in hours).
+1d4 M.E.
Regenerates/regains ME at 1 point per hour.

I feel like there is something missing or that there should be some other facet to this but I can't put my finger on what it could be...maybe something to do with the astral plane? I think i'm being thrown by a loop because "regenerative spirit" could cover so much but most of it doesn't represent well in palladium. maybe throw in some bonuses vs HF or mental influence? from the sound of it this person basically has an "Inner Will" that shores them up when they go down...or maybe that should be a separate power

Inner Will (Minor)
This character possesses an inner strength of will that is not normally available to them. When the character is under the effects of a negative mental state however this power bursts forth allowing them to resist with a strength they normally lack. If the character is mind controlled, possessed, affected by horror factor, gains an insanity or suffers from an addiction this power allows them a chance to recover or restrain the effect. The character gains an additional save on any round they are affected by a negative state at +5 to their save. If they make a save vs insanity they manage to restrain their madness enough to function normally that round or to ignore their trigger this time. They only recieve their bonus to save AFTER being afflicted by the effect on the additional saves offered by this power.

I have no idea what this even qualifies as...
taalismn
Priest

I feel like there is something missing or that there should be some other facet to this but I can't put my finger on what it could be...maybe something to do with the astral plane? I think i'm being thrown by a loop because "regenerative spirit" could cover so much but most of it doesn't represent well in palladium. maybe throw in some bonuses vs HF or mental influence? from the sound of it this person basically has an "Inner Will" that shores them up when they go down...or maybe that should be a separate power

Inner Will (Minor)
This character possesses an inner strength of will that is not normally available to them. When the character is under the effects of a negative mental state however this power bursts forth allowing them to resist with a strength they normally lack. If the character is mind controlled, possessed, affected by horror factor, gains an insanity or suffers from an addiction this power allows them a chance to recover or restrain the effect. The character gains an additional save on any round they are affected by a negative state at +5 to their save. If they make a save vs insanity they manage to restrain their madness enough to function normally that round or to ignore their trigger this time. They only recieve their bonus to save AFTER being afflicted by the effect on the additional saves offered by this power.

I have no idea what this even qualifies as...

Good try on both accounts.
Yeah, the only thing I know for certain that permanently blows down ME points is using the Mind Wipe psionic. Regenerative Spirit (oerversely) allows the character to hand out psionic lobotomies like there's no tomorrow. But I'd think that various insanity attacks would also erode M.E. This gives a person the ability to , not instantly be immune to insanity, but constantly fight afflictions of the mind, naturally or artificially imposed.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Good try on both accounts.
Yeah, the only thing I know for certain that permanently blows down ME points is using the Mind Wipe psionic. Regenerative Spirit (oerversely) allows the character to hand out psionic lobotomies like there's no tomorrow. But I'd think that various insanity attacks would also erode M.E. This gives a person the ability to , not instantly be immune to insanity, but constantly fight afflictions of the mind, naturally or artificially imposed.

I feel like it would make for a better Psionic Power honestly. Name it "Regenerate Spirit" or "Bolster Spirit" use the ME boost as a temporary bonus like for Summon inner strength, the main effect being to help you recover yourself or others from insanities, resist HF or other mental influence, pour in more ISP for bigger bonuses.

So instead of a mind block stopping all outside mental effects but locking in your mind, this lets you fight back AND can potentially let you heal others...or maybe split it into two powers "Bolster Spirit" helps boost ME, resist HF and influences. "Regenerate Spirit" allows you to heal damage to your mental stats, and gives a chance to cure insanity
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

what about being able to temp sacrifice stats like MA or ME to get a boost to something else, then fold in the 'attribute regeneration' into it?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
taalismn
Priest

zerombr wrote:what about being able to temp sacrifice stats like MA or ME to get a boost to something else, then fold in the 'attribute regeneration' into it?

I believe there's at least one 'burn a mental stat for another effect' power already in the Black Vault, most likely ME based, as MA is largely untouched/underutilized.
I can imagine, though, something along the lines of 'Empathy Burn' for a name....Temporarily boosts another attribute, but at the cost of your personal charm.
Have to work it though, so the side effects become both readily evident and substantial.

"Yeah, that was a pretty heroic thing you pulled off just now, Stupendous Man...but do you have to be such a pr##k about it?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
zerombr wrote:what about being able to temp sacrifice stats like MA or ME to get a boost to something else, then fold in the 'attribute regeneration' into it?

I believe there's at least one 'burn a mental stat for another effect' power already in the Black Vault, most likely ME based, as MA is largely untouched/underutilized.
I can imagine, though, something along the lines of 'Empathy Burn' for a name....Temporarily boosts another attribute, but at the cost of your personal charm.
Have to work it though, so the side effects become both readily evident and substantial.

"Yeah, that was a pretty heroic thing you pulled off just now, Stupendous Man...but do you have to be such a pr##k about it?"

They lose a sense of connection to other life, becoming cold and distant potentially if over used forgetting even why they sacrificed their own emotions, becoming cold machines dedicated to an ideal or goal they don't really understand. In the end even that goal may be lost leaving them empty and guidless...some fade away becoming shells that eventually die, some begin to recover seeking the echos of what they once were, the rest...hope that you never meet them, for they seek in you the things that they have lost -"Larry Fences" in his book "The Cost of Power"

gotta remember MA is as much your own characters empathy or ability to comprehend others as it is charm in most cases, lose that and...it could get bad

Empathy Fueled (Major)
This character is fueled by their empathy and understanding of their fellow man. These characters fuel themselves with these feelings and use them to acheive a superhuman level of power. However this doesn't come without a price as the superhuman runs the risk of "Burnout" and emotional destruction.
Bonuses: +1d4+2 MA if below 13 MA raise it before adding this bonus
Powers:
1) Empathic Boost
The Empathy Fueled character sacrifices a portion of their MA temporarily giving up their emotions as fuel for greater power. This gives them a boost of +20 SDC, +2 SPD, +1 PE and +1 to PS per point sacrificed. For every 3 points they sacrifice they gain an additional attack per melee and an additional point of PP. This ability remains until they "recover" every point of MA recovered reduces these bonuses by 1 points worth. For ever 3 MA points lost give them a +1 vs HF as they become more numb to the world. PS is superhuman if they spend more than 10 points.
2) Empathic Recovery
The Empathy Fueled character may recover one point of lost MA per hour, slowly recovering their attachment and understanding of other people though at the cost of power.
3) Final Stand
When all hope is lost, when this character has no more strength to give, when they have been incapacitated and are unable to resist or to save those they care about they may burst out with inhuman ability. However this comes at a great cost. The character automatically spends all remaining MA points on Empathic Boost reducing them to a living machine incapable of feeling or caring, they will do ANYTHING to accomplish the goals they held when they entered this state in the most effective way they can think of. The Final stand also doubles the effect of 1 point of MA (+40 SDC, +4 SPD, +2 PE, +2PS) and will provide a boost equal to normal for any points spent (So for ever MA point spent before activating Final Stand they recieve +20 SDC, +2 SPD, +1 PE and +1 to PS). The person is also considered Immune to horror factor and any mental effect that tries to sway them from their goals (though such effects that mearly try to guide them to a different solution may still affect them as normal) This is the final desperate straits of the character and lasts until they acheive their goal however long that may be. However this entire time they are utterly emotionless, and there is only a 50% chance of them recovering! The emotional demands of the Final Stand are so extreme they may permanently destroy the characters emotions even rendering their Empathic Recovery useless. Only proffesional medical help or psionics may be able to help this character recover (10-33% chance per year of treatment or psionic treatment by empaths). If they character is ever "Treated" he gains 1 point of MA and may begin recovering at a rate of 1 MA a week until they achieve a full MA. Though they may be disturbed at their "weakening" and suffer irrational fears of whatever happened to make them enter final stand happening again should they once more become "emotional".
4) Other Benefits
The character may burn 1 MA point to instantly be refreshed as if they have had a full nights rest and will recover 4D6+12 HP and twice as much SDC instantly
Flaws-
1) Besides the burnout of final stand a character may suffer a milder form of burnout anytime they dip below 1/3 of their MA, this has a 50% chance of happening and for 1D4 days the character doesn't recover their MA at all. After this they recover it at a rate of 1 MA per day for an equal number of days. This is the first warning sign of the potential consequences of overusing this power
2) Any time the character drops below 3 MA they are guarenteed to suffer burnout for 1D4 weeks regaining MA at 1 point a day during this time. Becoming a cold, calculating and nearly emotionless being, they run a 33% chance of developing an insanity related either to their powers or the events that caused them to use so much power every time they fall this far.
3) It is obvious to the character that his powers distance him from others and affect his emotions, a player may consider the lack of emotions a benefit, but this is truly a horrifying experience (or liberating) for many characters. It also tends to strain public opinion and friend ships when the superhero is on a "low day".
taalismn
Priest

Empathy Fueled (Major)

I like it....
While I rewrite Regenerative Spirit, I'll enjoy the possibilities of Empathy Fueled :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:While I rewrite Regenerative Spirit, I'll enjoy the possibilities of Empathy Fueled :)
Are you doing a rewrite of the minor or writing it up as a major power?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:I believe there's at least one 'burn a mental stat for another effect' power already in the Black Vault, most likely ME based, as MA is largely untouched/underutilized.
I'll have to look. I don't think sacrificial powers like that have their own category, but perhaps they should to make them easier to find.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:While I rewrite Regenerative Spirit, I'll enjoy the possibilities of Empathy Fueled :)
Are you doing a rewrite of the minor or writing it up as a major power?

I'd do it as a Minor...but even then, I can add a lot more bonuses to it...I mean, looks at what you get with baseline Extraordinary Mental Endurance as a Minor!

Essentially, though, I see Regenerative Spirit acting as a form of Immunity to Insanity and ME Burnout. It's just that like fighting the common cold, you may have to suffer through a case of insanity before you can kick it.
And I see it as a superpower rather than a true psionic power because this doesn't cost you ISP; it's always on. It's like a backup system kicking in and restoring your ME from an undamaged/uncorrupted drive.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:And I see it as a superpower rather than a true psionic power because this doesn't cost you ISP; it's always on. It's like a backup system kicking in and restoring your ME from an undamaged/uncorrupted drive.

Okay, now THIS description opens up so much awesome...if you do it as they have "Backup" selves that take over when they are mentally damaged (Its only multiple personalities if they aren't the same personality) then a person could potentially use that to resist or even entrap beings using mind control, possession, empathic transfer, or other mental effects...basically put "themself" into a corner until they recover from their madness/mind control/possession/whatever. No bonuses to resist them, but they get to make checks more frequently to resist or take back their mind. The major power of this lets you put YOUR personality on other people :twisted: I may have to make this if its not too close to what you write.

and I was saying psionics because it was easiest to fit in there, if you can make a good ME recovery power as a super power then I look forward to it.
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:And I see it as a superpower rather than a true psionic power because this doesn't cost you ISP; it's always on. It's like a backup system kicking in and restoring your ME from an undamaged/uncorrupted drive.

Okay, now THIS description opens up so much awesome...if you do it as they have "Backup" selves that take over when they are mentally damaged (Its only multiple personalities if they aren't the same personality) then a person could potentially use that to resist or even entrap beings using mind control, possession, empathic transfer, or other mental effects...basically put "themself" into a corner until they recover from their madness/mind control/possession/whatever. No bonuses to resist them, but they get to make checks more frequently to resist or take back their mind. The major power of this lets you put YOUR personality on other people :twisted: I may have to make this if its not too close to what you write.

and I was saying psionics because it was easiest to fit in there, if you can make a good ME recovery power as a super power then I look forward to it.

Already several backup brain and persona powers, bit this is more a 'reminder' power, it reminds you you're stronger than you think. Spiritual burnout? No, this is your ever-renewing well of self-confidence. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Already several backup brain and persona powers, bit this is more a 'reminder' power, it reminds you you're stronger than you think. Spiritual burnout? No, this is your ever-renewing well of self-confidence. :D

One of these days i'll read enough to actually find them. I look forward to what you end up with
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Already several backup brain and persona powers,

One of these days i'll read enough to actually find them.
Or just do a search in the Black Vault Wiki. They would most likely be under Mental powers or Alternative Biology.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Already several backup brain and persona powers,

One of these days i'll read enough to actually find them.
Or just do a search in the Black Vault Wiki. They would most likely be under Mental powers or Alternative Biology.

I forget that's a thing, off to search some more
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmaretree, would you mind if I post your contributions to the Black Vault Wiki?
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Nightmaretree, would you mind if I post your contributions to the Black Vault Wiki?

I'd be happy to have them used, so post away
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Nightmaretree, would you mind if I post your contributions to the Black Vault Wiki?

I'd be happy to have them used, so post away
Thanks.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Muscle Man (Major Power)
This characters power stems from a mixture of belief and physical strength. Essentially the character BELEIVES they are a macho strong man who can bounce bullets off his abs and make the ladies swoon...and so he is. The power shapes him into his image of a macho muscle man and empowers him with abilities beyond human.

Abilities

1. Incredible Physique
+1D6 to PS, superhuman
+1D6 to PE
+1D6 to PB
+1D4 to ME
+2D6x10 SDC
X2 HP
+2 vs HF

2. Hard Body
The characters body is so gloriously sculpted that it can even resist attacks. The character has a base AR of 8, and gets a +1 every 2 levels beyond first.

3. Muscle Pose
The character strikes a pose showing off just how AMAZING his muscle are. This pose adds three to his base AR, and halves incoming damage. Anyone seeing the pose must roll vs a Horror Factor or Awe Factor (Depending on your point of view) of 6 +1 for every 2 levels at the sheer MANLINESS of the pose.

4. Iron Body
Nobody can lay down a beatdown quite like a muscle man, knockout blows are one a 16-20, and double damage from melee punches, kicks, and holds as his foes pitiful physiques are broken on his Iron Body.

5. Training God
This character automatically gets the FULL die roll added to his stats from physical skills (So a 4D6 to SDC is 24, 1D4 to PS is automatically 4) due to his power shaping his body as he trains.

Flaws

1. Can't Cloth This
The character feels restricted when he isn't showing off his glorious body, if he isn't wearing skin tight clothes, a speedo, or similarly revealing clothes he can't use his Iron Body, Muscle Pose, and only gets 1/2 of his Hard Body AR

2. I'm A Real Man!...or Not
If the character develops doubts about how GLORIOUS his muscles are, or is affected by fear effects or similar negative mental states he LOSES his AR, Bonus SDC, Superhuman Strength, Iron Body and Muscle Pose powers. Essentially becoming a powerless weakling, a state that makes it hard for him to get his confidence back in most cases. This state can result from being rejected by those they care about, or losing a major battle. However the characters with this power are NATURALLY certain of themselves and this rarely happens without a major event or external stimuli greatly impacting them...and a true hero will step up even if they don't have their "Muscles", likely resulting in a reignition of their determination and a return of their powers, now even more certain of their power.
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:Muscle Man (Major Power).

...I was half-expecting an addiction to 'Old Spice' to accompany this power. : :lol:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:...I was half-expecting an addiction to 'Old Spice' to accompany this power. : :lol:

Its an option, but I feel that would narrow the Macho Muscle Man down too much. That said, a pair of Old Spice sprayers that fill the air with Old Spice and therefor drive out airborne toxins and debris allowing the Muscle Man to breath and see clearly (even if everyone else is gagging from the concentrated dose) would be a fitting equipment for such a man.

what do you think of the power levels? I'm kinda unsure if its too much or too little stat for a major power, lots of little bonuses, a few things that could get out of hand if he has good power selections (supernatural strength would be crazy with this) but that's why it has the weaknesses (Note that weapons and armor are kinda out the window with this guy)
taalismn
Priest

I don't see the power levels or bonuses as TOO absurd/obscene. It's not Mega-levels of crazy muscle-mass.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

I'm just gonna go ahead and state you can be a muscle woman too, with all the same effects as a muscle man

just saying cause I took a peek at the black vault and saw muscle man again...well back to my cave

(And OMG i'm in the black vault!? SQUEEEE, though lol i'm Nightmaretree on there)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote: (And OMG i'm in the black vault!? SQUEEEE, though lol i'm Nightmaretree on there)
Oops, did I misspell your name? I can fix it if you'd like.
taalismn
Priest

In my continuing quiet quest to create a superpower for every letter of the alphabet....

Xerox Body(Minor)
“...and just how long, again, did it take you to realize you were, in fact, talking to the equivalent of a cardboard cutout of Doctor Duplex?”

Range: Self
Duration: 30 minutes per level of experience
The superbeing can produce a 3D dummy of themselves. The duplicate is static, possesses no animation, no life signs, but is otherwise a photo-perfect image of the creator. Taking 15 SDC or more of damage reveals it to be a hollow shell of paper-like material, and a good strong breeze can blow it over unless somehow anchored in place. Takes 1 APM to produce a copy+1 per level of experience(so a level 2 character can 'print off' two images of himself with just one action, and at level 3 , 3 copies). Note however, that copies made with one action will all be identical(have the same pose), whereas copies made with separate actions can be posed differently. The maximum number of copies that the superbeing can create in this manner per hour is equivalent to the character's P.E..
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”