NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

jlm2924 wrote:Drawbacks?! Really? Is there a source or a post that lists them? I'd really like to look at that. Are the drawbacks (asides from the Achilles Heel for Mega Heroes) a house rule thing?
There are threads for Feats and Flaws, which are a house rule thing. I think he mant that you could do a major power like that, though.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
jlm2924 wrote:Drawbacks?! Really? Is there a source or a post that lists them? I'd really like to look at that. Are the drawbacks (asides from the Achilles Heel for Mega Heroes) a house rule thing?
There are threads for Feats and Flaws, which are a house rule thing. I think he mant that you could do a major power like that, though.

Well, come to think of it, a nasty Major Power might be to INFLICT such a condition(of any subsequent damage doing the maximum of that particular attack) on the target....
Maybe something like

Induced Fragility(Major)
"Feel the FULL impact, chalk-skin."
Range: Touch or 10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 1 melee per level of experience
Effect:
The target of this power becomes, for a brief time, extremely susceptible to damage. All subsequent physical attacks that strike the target will do their MAXIMUM damage(so a laser that does 4d6 SDC will automatically do a full 24 points of damage), and Armor Rating is ignored.
Invulnerabilities or Resistances created by MINOR powers will be HALF as effective, while Invulnerabilities/Resistances endowed by MAJOR powers will still have full effect. Magic, and Psionic attacks will NOT be affected by this power, nor does the power cause reduced resistance to attacks like induced insanity or Horror Factor. Similarly, magic defenses like Armor of Ithan, magically-protected items, or psionic forcefields are NOT affected by this power(roll damage to them as normal).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:Maybe something like

Induced Fragility(Major)
"Feel the FULL impact, chalk-skin."
Duration: 1 melee per level of experience
Effect:
The target of this power becomes, for a brief time, extremely susceptible to damage. All subsequent physical attacks that strike the target will do their MAXIMUM damage(so a laser that does 4d6 SDC will automatically do a full 24 points of damage), and Armor Rating is ignored.
Invulnerabilities or Resistances created by MINOR powers will be HALF as effective, while Invulnerabilities/Resistances endowed by MAJOR powers will still have full effect. Magic, and Psionic attacks will NOT be affected by this power, nor does the power cause reduced resistance to attacks like induced insanity or Horror Factor. Similarly, magic defenses like Armor of Ithan, magically-protected items, or psionic forcefields are NOT affected by this power(roll damage to them as normal).
I like it, just not sure if it is powerful enough to be a Major superability.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Induced Fragility(Major) ).

Make it a Minor, or just negate Invulnerabilities/Resistances altogether?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Induced Fragility(Major) ).

Make it a Minor, or just negate Invulnerabilities/Resistances altogether?
Nevermind. Doing maximum damage on all powers and whatnot probably tips it into the Major category. It just seems a bit weak at first.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[?
Nevermind. Doing maximum damage on all powers and whatnot probably tips it into the Major category. It just seems a bit weak at first.[/quote]

That's what I figured, but we've had some pretty powerful Minors in the past, and if necessary, I'm prepared to remodel Induced Fragility to be even more devastating to a target's durability. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jlm2924
D-Bee
Comment: "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

Hey everyone. This was a power we came up with in 1984 when HU first came out. We all used to make way over powered heroes and villains to boot. This power was ridiculous, but I thought I’d post it here for nostalgia purposes and a few laughs! Enjoy.

Beer, Meat, Dead!!! (Major)
”That’s it! Feel the wrath of my full power, hero!”

Range: 25 feet plus 5 feet per level beyond 1.
Duration: Permanent
Target: Targets one living being.
Effect: This power has three simultaneous effects. The (villain) merely utters the word ”BEER!” and the victim will find themselves staggered. All Strike, Parry, and Dodge rolls are reduced by -10, and skills are reduced by -80%! The victim staggers about like they’re drunk! Then the villain then utters the word ”MEAT!” and the hero will find all their SDC gone! Their body is badly bruised as if they had been beat up, ergo turned to minced meat. Finally the villain merely utters the word: ”DEAD!” and the hero’s HP are gone and reduced to a coma! An immediate save vs. Coma/Death is needed and upon 3 failed attempts the hero dies!
This power is considered a psionic based power but uses no ISP or PPE. The villain him/herself is immune to this power, no effect.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jlm2924 wrote:Hey everyone. This was a power we came up with in 1984 when HU first came out. We all used to make way over powered heroes and villains to boot. This power was ridiculous, but I thought I’d post it here for nostalgia purposes and a few laughs! Enjoy.

Beer, Meat, Dead!!! (Major)
”That’s it! Feel the wrath of my full power, hero!”

Range: 25 feet plus 5 feet per level beyond 1.
Duration: Permanent
Target: Targets one living being.
Effect: This power has three simultaneous effects. The (villain) merely utters the word ”BEER!” and the victim will find themselves staggered. All Strike, Parry, and Dodge rolls are reduced by -10, and skills are reduced by -80%! The victim staggers about like they’re drunk! Then the villain then utters the word ”MEAT!” and the hero will find all their SDC gone! Their body is badly bruised as if they had been beat up, ergo turned to minced meat. Finally the villain merely utters the word: ”DEAD!” and the hero’s HP are gone and reduced to a coma! An immediate save vs. Coma/Death is needed and upon 3 failed attempts the hero dies!
This power is considered a psionic based power but uses no ISP or PPE. The villain him/herself is immune to this power, no effect.
Way too powerful for a Major. You didn't even allow for a saving throw, and by making it permanent, I take it to mean the effects do not wear off. You are right to say that it is ridiculous.
taalismn
Priest

I'd make the 'death' virtual...as in the victim, if they fail a saving throw, lapses into a death-like coma-trance state that might even fool comrades. Have it last several tens of minutes, and just as rigor mortis should start setting in....they wake up. That makes this power look awesome-scary-lethal, when it's not.

Also, if the villain is gagged, or otherwise silenced, does it still have any effect?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:I'd make the 'death' virtual...as in the victim, if they fail a saving throw, lapses into a death-like coma-trance state that might even fool comrades. Have it last several tens of minutes, and just as rigor mortis should start setting in....they wake up. That makes this power look awesome-scary-lethal, when it's not.

Also, if the villain is gagged, or otherwise silenced, does it still have any effect?
It would still need a saving throw.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:I'd make the 'death' virtual...as in the victim, if they fail a saving throw, lapses into a death-like coma-trance state that might even fool comrades. Have it last several tens of minutes, and just as rigor mortis should start setting in....they wake up. That makes this power look awesome-scary-lethal, when it's not.

It would still need a saving throw.

Not disputing that at all....'Quick Kill' powers gotta have SOME out or slim chance of survival, and a multi-stage/sequential power like this one should be rife with opportunities to interrupt and blow the power up in its own face.

But as is, the power has an abusive power level, not enough safeguards against power-abuse, and too many holes to go as is.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jlm2924
D-Bee
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

LOL, as I said it was ridiculous. I put it here for a few laughs. Back in 1984 I was 14 and that was "ok" to have but now at 45 in 2016 there is NO WAY I'd allow anything like that in any of my games. Still it shows the evolution of gamers and how we used to think compared to what's out there now.

For me the journey of evolution included high school graduation, followed by 6 years of college, along with 15 years in the military, 20 years of marriage and 2 kids (both of whom are gamers now, I'm so proud).

Now in all gaming seriousness, how do you guys/gals treat augmented abilities? For example, a character has a 1d6 kick. Now he takes Superhuman Strength, and his the power stomp ability. The power stomp adds like an additional 3d6 to the kick damage. So is the newly augmented kick 4d6? Then add the superhuman damage? This is where conversions get a little fuzzy. I am developing a nice Excel character creator and it likes solid numbers like d6's not d6+d4's+d12's, etc.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jlm2924 wrote:LOL, as I said it was ridiculous. I put it here for a few laughs. Back in 1984 I was 14 and that was "ok" to have but now at 45 in 2016 there is NO WAY I'd allow anything like that in any of my games. Still it shows the evolution of gamers and how we used to think compared to what's out there now.

For me the journey of evolution included high school graduation, followed by 6 years of college, along with 15 years in the military, 20 years of marriage and 2 kids (both of whom are gamers now, I'm so proud).

Now in all gaming seriousness, how do you guys/gals treat augmented abilities? For example, a character has a 1d6 kick. Now he takes Superhuman Strength, and his the power stomp ability. The power stomp adds like an additional 3d6 to the kick damage. So is the newly augmented kick 4d6? Then add the superhuman damage? This is where conversions get a little fuzzy. I am developing a nice Excel character creator and it likes solid numbers like d6's not d6+d4's+d12's, etc.
That is a topic for a separate thread. Please keep this thread on track by only posting powers and comments related to powers posted here. Generally speaking though, the damage stacks.
jlm2924
D-Bee
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

Universal Remote Control (Minor)
"I hate red lights! Ha, now they're green!"

Range: 600 ft. plus 10 feet per level beyond level 1
Target: Any system that can normally be targeted by a remote control, i.e. Streetlights, TV's, Computers, RC cars/boats/planes/toys, planes with remote capacity (like drones), etc. If you feel something should be included check with your GM.
Effect: This power enables the super being to mentally control objects as if they were the controlling device. The being with this power cannot be "jammed" out and their controlling signal is always stronger than the source signal. The being can cause instant effects like turning all the traffic lights green and the opposite side red, or they can override a military drone and use it. It is important to note that the being is sending out Psionic waves that emulate the signal they are hijacking. This is why the super being's 'signal' is always dominate. This ability cannot be used to jam communications or hijack voice and data radio signals. Only remote operation signals.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jlm2924 wrote:Universal Remote Control (Minor)

Target: Any system that can normally be targeted by a remote control, i.e. Streetlights, TV's, Computers, RC cars/boats/planes/toys, planes with remote capacity (like drones), etc. If you feel something should be included check with your GM.
Effect: This power enables the super being to mentally control objects as if they were the controlling device. The being with this power cannot be "jammed" out and their controlling signal is always stronger than the source signal. The being can cause instant effects like turning all the traffic lights green and the opposite side red, or they can override a military drone and use it. It is important to note that the being is sending out Psionic waves that emulate the signal they are hijacking. This is why the super being's 'signal' is always dominate. This ability cannot be used to jam communications or hijack voice and data radio signals. Only remote operation signals.
I would think this would be a Major given the fact that you can remote control drones.
jlm2924
D-Bee
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

I disagree. If it had the ability to say jam normal radio signals or intercept data psionically (like a remote Telemechanics) then yes, it would be a major. There are some pretty amazing minor powers out there, like Indestructible Bones or Extraordinary Speed. Just saying, let's see what some of the other folks think.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jlm2924 wrote:I disagree. If it had the ability to say jam normal radio signals or intercept data psionically (like a remote Telemechanics) then yes, it would be a major. There are some pretty amazing minor powers out there, like Indestructible Bones or Extraordinary Speed. Just saying, let's see what some of the other folks think.
You don't really put a limit on the number of things controlled. You indicated that multiple stoplights could be affected simultaneously, for instance. Maybe a little more clarification and definition is needed.
jlm2924
D-Bee
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

This is a good point. So allow me to amend...

Target: Any system that can normally be targeted by a remote control, i.e. Streetlights, TV's, RC cars/boats/planes/toys, planes with remote capacity (like drones), etc. If you feel something should be included check with your GM.
Effect: This power enables the super being to mentally control objects as if he were the controlling device. The character with this power cannot be "jammed" out and their controlling signal is always stronger than the source signal. The character can cause instant effects like turning all the traffic lights green and the opposite side red, or they can override a military drone and use it. It is important to note that the character is sending out Psionic waves that emulate the signal they are hijacking. This is why the character's 'signal' is always dominate. This ability cannot be used to jam communications or hijack voice/data radio signals (like a cell phone). Only remote operation signals.
Limitations: The super being with this ability is able to control his M.E. bonus of objects at a time with a minimum of 1 object. Example: If the super being has a M.E. bonus of +2, then he can change the lights he is at to the respective red/green and then look ahead and set the next set of lights to red/green. Also note that controlling an object takes great focus and will halve his actions for the melee.
Bonuses:
+1 M.E.
+1 Save vs. Psionics
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jlm2924 wrote:This is a good point. So allow me to amend...

Target: Any system that can normally be targeted by a remote control, i.e. Streetlights, TV's, RC cars/boats/planes/toys, planes with remote capacity (like drones), etc. If you feel something should be included check with your GM.
Effect: This power enables the super being to mentally control objects as if he were the controlling device. The character with this power cannot be "jammed" out and their controlling signal is always stronger than the source signal. The character can cause instant effects like turning all the traffic lights green and the opposite side red, or they can override a military drone and use it. It is important to note that the character is sending out Psionic waves that emulate the signal they are hijacking. This is why the character's 'signal' is always dominate. This ability cannot be used to jam communications or hijack voice/data radio signals (like a cell phone). Only remote operation signals.
Limitations: The super being with this ability is able to control his M.E. bonus of objects at a time with a minimum of 1 object. Example: If the super being has a M.E. bonus of +2, then he can change the lights he is at to the respective red/green and then look ahead and set the next set of lights to red/green. Also note that controlling an object takes great focus and will halve his actions for the melee.
Bonuses:
+1 M.E.
+1 Save vs. Psionics
Better.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Forgive me if I'm out of the loop, but since when are traffic signals remote controlled? There is an electronic sensor imbedded in the pavement that is triggered when you drive over it, or a camera sensor, or operate on a fixed timer.

https://youtu.be/VsZIYj7evaA
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
jlm2924
D-Bee
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

Sure and in some cities police and other emergency services have the ability to remotely change the lights. Even if not (like the city you play in might have light sensors instead), the sensor pad still sends a signal to the relay that changes the light.

Ergo, our superhero can affect it. The sensor in the ground is the transmitter and the wire is the relay. The psionic waves emulate the input and the superhero/villain is able to force his will on the device. No different than if a pair of kids were racing RC cars and the villain took control of them to trip the perusing heroes up. This power ignores the real world rules of encrypted signals, the differences in various types of RF signals and simply says: "I am a super power, do this effect." and the device responds accordingly.

It's all in good fun.
taalismn
Priest

Viral Vision(Minor)
“Excuse me....please come with me..you seem to be incubating a rather nasty strain of plague...”
The superbeing possesses a supernatural ability to sense dangerous pathogens, a sixth sense as their lethality, and can ‘see’ concentrations(even inside hosts) of microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. The pathogens show up in the superbeing’s vision colored with regards to their potential danger; common bacteria show up as green or light blue, common cold viruses as purple, yellow fever(appropriately enough) as yellow, and ebola as screaming bright hot white/yellow. The character also develops a mental database on various microorganisms and their traits. A trip to a public restroom can be a horrifying experience for a novice with this power, as might a visit to a restaurant.
Range: 60 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Identify MicroPathogen: 25%+5% per level of experience( +15% if Pathology is taken)
+10% to the Diagnosis phase of a Medical skill roll if the malady afflicting a patient is viral or bacterial in nature.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

What shows up as red? Or as the other visible colors of the spectrum? Cause you know some rotten GM is going to throw out that something is Pink or Orange or Burnt Umber.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Viral Vision(Minor)
“Excuse me....please come with me..you seem to be incubating a rather nasty strain of plague...”
The superbeing possesses a supernatural ability to sense dangerous pathogens, a sixth sense as their lethality, and can ‘see’ concentrations(even inside hosts) of microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. The pathogens show up in the superbeing’s vision colored with regards to their potential danger; common bacteria show up as green or light blue, common cold viruses as purple, yellow fever(appropriately enough) as yellow, and ebola as screaming bright hot white/yellow. The character also develops a mental database on various microorganisms and their traits. A trip to a public restroom can be a horrifying experience for a novice with this power, as might a visit to a restaurant.
Range: 60 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Identify MicroPathogen: 25%+5% per level of experience( +15% if Pathology is taken)
Nice. :ok: Would this not give a bonus to medical skills, though?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[q)
Nice. :ok: Would this not give a bonus to medical skills, though?[/quote]

It tells you that there's a dangerous pathogen in an area...and you might be able to ID a possible one ahead of time...hmmm...
I'd give a +10% in the diagnosis phase of a medical roll, if the malady is viral or bacterial in nature.
Thanks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:What shows up as red? Or as the other visible colors of the spectrum? Cause you know some rotten GM is going to throw out that something is Pink or Orange or Burnt Umber.

Red might be a malady like a mild flu or common cold. Orange? I'd say stomach flu.
Puce would be only dangerous to hamsters...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Sharpen/Dull(Minor)
“I’ve got an edge.”
The superbeing can instantly sharpen anything that can take and hold an edge, merely by touching or taking it in hand. Dull razors become sharp again, lawnmower blades never need laborious regrinding, and whetstones and strops are a thing of the past for the character.
Furthermore, any bladed or edged weapon in the character’s hands does 50% more damage because it attains maximum sharpness. Even paper cuts are twice as painful. Once out of the character’s hands, the edged weapon simply becomes very sharp, and it wears and dulls as normal.
Conversely, any bladed weapon that strikes the character can be made to do 50% LESS damage, and with a touch, the character can dull and blunt bladed weaponry and other sharp edges(GMs’ perogative; the weapons do 10-25% less damage), requiring them to be re-sharpened.
The character is also +2 to parry edged weapons.
Sharpen/Dull also works on natural weapons such as antlers, horns, tusks, and claws.
Limitations: Does NOT work with magic, rune, or ‘active’ weapons such as vibroblades or superpower weapons(such as Body Weapons). Nor does it work on teeth.
Last edited by taalismn on Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Sharpen/Dull(Minor)
“I’ve got an edge.”
The superbeing can instantly sharpen anything that can take and hold an edge, merely by touching or taking it in hand. Dull razors become sharp again, lawnmower blades never need laborious regrinding, and whetstones and strops are a thing of the past for the character.
Furthermore, any bladed or edged weapon in the character’s hands does 50% more damage because it attains maximum sharpness. Even paper cuts are twice as painful. Once out of the character’s hands, the edged weapon simply becomes very sharp, and it wears and dulls as normal.
Conversely, any bladed weapon that strikes the character can be made to do 50% LESS damage, and with a touch, the character can dull and blunt bladed weaponry and other sharp edges(GMs’ perogative; the weapons do 10-25% less damage), requiring them to be re-sharpened.
Limitations: Does NOT work with magic, rune, or ‘active’ weapons such as vibroblades or superpower weapons(such as Body Weapons).
Very utilitarian. Does it work to sharpen natural weapons such as horns and claws?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]Very utilitarian. Does it work to sharpen natural weapons such as horns and claws?

I'd say 'yes'(and I've made that correction). While Body Weapons are effectively 'active' or 'living' weapons. antlers, tusks, and claws are effectively dead material(and cats do scratch to sharpen their claws, or least wear off the dulled sheaths). The case could also be made for fingernails(especially glue-ons)
I draw the line at teeth, though. Try to sharpen teeth, your dentist(if he or she is any good and not a cosmetic hack) is likely to make you sit in the chair an extra hour with a jaw-opener while excoriating you about taking care of your teeth.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

“I’ve got an edge.”
Conversely, any bladed weapon that strikes the character can be made to do 50% LESS damage, and with a touch, the character can dull and blunt bladed weaponry and other sharp edges(GMs’ prerogative; the weapons do 10-25% less damage), requiring them to be re-sharpened.
Sharpen/Dull also works on natural weapons such as antlers, horns, tusks, and claws.
Limitations: Does NOT work with magic, rune, or ‘active’ weapons such as vibroblades or superpower weapons(such as Body Weapons). Nor does it work on teeth.

okay…..where is the bonus for something to be sharp? Is it a +2 to damage like the magic sharpness in the Western empire book.

Is there a table of penalties for being dull? or one that details how the blade gets dull?

Sharpen Bullets? :P :P :lol: I hope the answer is no. ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]Very utilitarian. Does it work to sharpen natural weapons such as horns and claws?

I'd say 'yes'(and I've made that correction). While Body Weapons are effectively 'active' or 'living' weapons. antlers, tusks, and claws are effectively dead material(and cats do scratch to sharpen their claws, or least wear off the dulled sheaths). The case could also be made for fingernails(especially glue-ons)
I draw the line at teeth, though. Try to sharpen teeth, your dentist(if he or she is any good and not a cosmetic hack) is likely to make you sit in the chair an extra hour with a jaw-opener while excoriating you about taking care of your teeth.
Great, thanks for the clarification.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
“I’ve got an edge.”
Conversely, any bladed weapon that strikes the character can be made to do 50% LESS damage, and with a touch, the character can dull and blunt bladed weaponry and other sharp edges(GMs’ prerogative; the weapons do 10-25% less damage), requiring them to be re-sharpened.

okay…..where is the bonus for something to be sharp? Is it a +2 to damage like the magic sharpness in the Western empire book.

Is there a table of penalties for being dull? or one that details how the blade gets dull?

50% more damage over what it normally does, but once out of the hands of the superbeing, it reverts to original damage(which is, I figure, considered the damage for a well-maintained weapon)
Dulling, as noted, is GM's prerogative; 10-25% less damage.
Sharpening bullets? Mmmm...no....The X-3 Stilleto research aircraft should have been the fastest mofoe around with that nose, but it was one of the slower X-planes, and it would have crumbled like tissue paper on a hard landing. Same thing; try to sharpen a bullet, you more likely wind up damaging structural integrity or just cut your hands up handling rounds. So, projectile weapons? I'd say no.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
“I’ve got an edge.”

50% more damage over what it normally does, but once out of the hands of the superbeing, it reverts to original damage(which is, I figure, considered the damage for a well-maintained weapon)
Dulling, as noted, is GM's prerogative; 10-25% less damage.
Sharpening bullets? Mmmm...no....The X-3 Stilleto research aircraft should have been the fastest mofoe around with that nose, but it was one of the slower X-planes, and it would have crumbled like tissue paper on a hard landing. Same thing; try to sharpen a bullet, you more likely wind up damaging structural integrity or just cut your hands up handling rounds. So, projectile weapons? I'd say no.
Not even arrowheads?
taalismn
Priest

[quote="Stone Gargoyle]Not even arrowheads?[/quote]

I'd considered that, but I'd say the 50% more damage applies only if the character is holding it and using it as a stake. Fired, it simply becomes a sharp arrow...and I'd rule that PB damages are for a well-kept/maintained weapon.
Of course, you COULD make the argument that an obsidian arrow with a molecularly-sharp point would zip through certain types of armor, but I'd think that would be reflected in the baseline stats for an obsidian arrowhead.
A DULL arrow on the other hand, I'd say 25% less damage easy, maybe even 50% less; the thing's dulled down to essentially those slow-speed 'bird stunner' arrows(back in the day, the reality TV program 'That's Incredible!' got in trouble when they had a 'wilderness man' catch arrows fired at him from around the studio...what they DIDN'T air was the fact that these were dulled and retarded birding arrows...in fact, the guy complained that those arrows moved so slowly he could show ANYBODY in the studio audience how to bat them out of the air, or catch them, since by the time they reached where he was standing, their special fletching had slowed them down so much they may as well have been fitted with drogue chutes).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Bio-Reversion(Major)
“What are you doing here? Well, as of just a minute ago, you were a nanotechnologically-created zombie werewolf with, supposedly, ‘no remaining vestige of humanity’, to quote the jerkass who sicced you on me. Well, he was wrong. Now, if you can tell me your name, we’ll see about getting you back to a normal life.”

Bio-Reversion is a powerful ‘anti-power’ in that it negates a number of other super abilities and effects. The power allows the superbeing to, with a touch, revert and restore those transformed by magic, mystic, or certain technological means. It’s as if the person is able to read and restore an earlier saved copy of what the person was like, physically and mentally. The person so de-transformed will only have memories of events up to the point that they were transformed.
Range: Touch
Effective Against:
*Magical or Superpower Transformations(Imposed)----Automatically negates transformations that have been forced/projected on another person(spells cast on oneself count as imposed), such as Circles of Transformation, Metamorphosis,or Petrification. Duration is permanent.
*Nanite Transformation---Some pesky nanite weapons reassemble the person’s molecules into a new form. The Bio-Reversion power reverses that. Duration is permanent.
*Mindwipes/Mind Control---Restores a person’s memories and personality that may have been suppressed or supposedly destroyed by magical, psionic, or technological wiping techniques. Duration is permanent.
Partially Effective Against:
*Magical or Superpower Transformations(Integral)---If the transformation is integral or inherent to the person, the transformation is temporarily NEGATED, but NOT terminated altogether. Duration: 4d6 melees
*Parasites---Splugorth biowizardry parasites fall into this category, as do a number of other alien organisms. The victim, however, will get a chance to rally against invasive organisms and their effects, if there is any saving roll(+1d4 to save vs.). Any lingering side effects(such as scarring, brain damage, or crippling) will be reduced by 50%.
*Surgical Mindwipes---Cruder techniques such as lobotomies that actually REMOVE parts of the brain; in such cases, the victim cannot be fully restored. The person, however, gets a chance to reroute paths in the brain and partially regain any lost memories. Regains +1d4 ME if any was lost, and has a 25% chance of regaining 1d8x10% of any lost memories.
INeffective Against:
*Bionics---Parts chopped out are not replaced, and new inorganic parts added are not expelled.
*Symbiotes---Organisms that can peacefully coexist with the host body are not recognized as a malicious transformation, though any transformative powers will be temporarily reversed/negated(duration: 4d6 melees).
Other Bonuses:
*Resistance to Transformation---The superbeing is similarly resistant to transformation and mind control;
*Magical or Superpower Transformations(Imposed)----Automatically negates transformations that have been forced/projected on another person(spells cast on oneself count as imposed), such as Circles of Transformation, Metamorphosis,or Petrification, Nanite Transformation, and Mindwipes/Mind Control are all rejected by this power, their effects only lasting 1d4 melees before the superbeing reverts back to their normal selves.
* Parasites---The superbeing saves at +1d6 versus infestation, and side effects are HALVED.
*Surgical Mindwipes(Lobotomy/implants) are treated with the same regenerative effects and chance of memory recovery, only the recovery of M.E. is +1d8, and memory recovery rises to 50%.
*Bionics/Cybernetic Implants are NOT rejected(though other powers may affect them), nor are symbiotes(they are not recognized as being a threat to the superbeing)
*Integral transformative abilities that the superbeing may possess are not negated by this power, as they are part and parcel of their own physiology.
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

taalismn wrote:Bio-Reversion(Major)
snip…..
Other Bonuses:
*Resistance to Transformation---The super-being is similarly resistant to transformation and mind control, as above.

Resistant, in pb lexicon means, is implied, that the effects they are resistant to only have half effect. Then you say 'as above' ???? what above?
Do you mean that the char can invoke the power on themselves to negate being transformed or to end the mind control over them?

Or do you mean that they cannot be transformed and can not be mind controlled because the power is an 'always on' power when concerning themselves?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:Bio-Reversion(Major)
snip…..
Other Bonuses:
*Resistance to Transformation---The super-being is similarly resistant to transformation and mind control, as above.

Resistant, in pb lexicon means, is implied, that the effects they are resistant to only have half effect. Then you say 'as above' ???? what above?
Do you mean that the char can invoke the power on themselves to negate being transformed or to end the mind control over them?

Or do you mean that they cannot be transformed and can not be mind controlled because the power is an 'always on' power when concerning themselves?

I meant that with regards to the various categories of transformation, they have similar sorts of resistance...though I admit I could have been clearer.
Examples: If infected with transformative nanites, the superbeing with this power would snap back to their original form inside a melee, or wouldn't be affected at all.
Integral transformations would be ignored, I admit, since they're a natural part of the superbeing, and negating one's own transformation wouldn't make since, would it? Sorta like being allergic to yourself.
Parasites would have the same chance of rejection as if the power were being applied to somebody else.
Similarly, a lobotomy would have the normal effects, except for the chance of recovery as listed, in addition to any other bonuses form other self-healing powers the character might have.

I'll try to clean it up later, but thanks for catching me on it.

Addendum: Edited it for greater clarity. Still a little unhappy with it...too munchkin?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:I meant that with regards to the various categories of transformation, they have similar sorts of resistance...though I admit I could have been clearer.
Examples: If infected with transformative nanites, the superbeing with this power would snap back to their original form inside a melee, or wouldn't be affected at all.
Integral transformations would be ignored, I admit, since they're a natural part of the superbeing, and negating one's own transformation wouldn't make since, would it? Sorta like being allergic to yourself.
Parasites would have the same chance of rejection as if the power were being applied to somebody else.
Similarly, a lobotomy would have the normal effects, except for the chance of recovery as listed, in addition to any other bonuses form other self-healing powers the character might have.

I'll try to clean it up later, but thanks for catching me on it.

Addendum: Edited it for greater clarity. Still a little unhappy with it...too munchkin?
It is a really powerful superability.
taalismn
Priest

Alter Body Odor(Minor)

“...so the secret to getting Metragod to pay attention to you is to smell like a cheeseburger? Who’d have guessed?”

The superbeing can alter their body chemistry(in as little as 1d4 melees) to change how they smell to others. The smell can change in type and intensity from haven’t-washed-for-days-sweathog to bouquet -of-flowers. This can be used to defeat smell-based sensory powers(or conversely, ASSIST smell-based sensory powers), or as an invisible form of communication(or subliminal persuasion). The superbeing can also cover up signs of working out(imagine turning sweat odor to lavender scent). They can even attempt to smell like other individuals. While not as powerful as the Pheromones ability, this power is arguably more versatile.
Bonuses: +/-30% to be tracked by smell(depending on whether one is intensifying one’s scent, or masking it), +2 to M.A. +10% to Seduction/Persuasion rolls.
The superbeing has a 30%+5% per level of experience ability to duplicate a specific smell they've encountered before, +10% if they have an enhanced smell sense of their own.
The superbeing also has a memory for scents, and has a 40%+5% per level of experience ability to recognize specific odors.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Alter Body Odor(Minor)

“...so the secret to getting Metragod to pay attention to you is to smell like a cheeseburger? Who’d have guessed?”

The superbeing can alter their body chemistry(in as little as 1d4 melees) to change how they smell to others. The smell can change in type and intensity from haven’t-washed-for-days-sweathog to bouquet -of-flowers. This can be used to defeat smell-based sensory powers(or conversely, ASSIST smell-based sensory powers), or as an invisible form of communication(or subliminal persuasion). The superbeing can also cover up signs of working out(imagine turning sweat odor to lavender scent). They can even attempt to smell like other individuals. While not as powerful as the Pheromones ability, this power is arguably more versatile.
Bonuses: +/-30% to be tracked by smell(depending on whether one is intensifying one’s scent, or masking it), +2 to M.A. +10% to Seduction/Persuasion rolls.
The superbeing has a 30%+5% per level of experience ability to duplicate a specific smell they've encountered before, +10% if they have an enhanced smell sense of their own.
The superbeing also has a memory for scents, and has a 40%+5% per level of experience ability to recognize specific odors.
I'd say this power stinks but I guess that really depends on how it's used. :lol:
CCollison
D-Bee
Comment: Long live the RPG gamers! Dice, pencil, paper and an collection of imaginations will make the world a better place.

Unread post by CCollison »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I'd say this power stinks but I guess that really depends on how it's used. :lol:

Iconic "Gamer" supreme superpower for sure. Playing with the others for 3 days straight, and time to get to a first date. Zing, no need to shower, you can game longer and be fresh as the day you were born.
"It is not the size of the dice that matters, just how you role it"
- Famious qoute of someone who only had 1d4
taalismn
Priest

CCollison wrote:[

Iconic "Gamer" supreme superpower for sure. Playing with the others for 3 days straight, and time to get to a first date. Zing, no need to shower, you can game longer and be fresh as the day you were born.

Yep...it's a sidekick or a low-power campaign power....for those groups whose most powerful heavyhitter sports Energy Expulsion: Infrared Light and their mentalist's most powerful psuedo-psychic power is an Angry Glare.
"So, what's your power?"
"I can alter my body odor."
"...well...it's better than the last guy's power. He claimed he could fart the national anthem and belch morse code. You're in."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

"With my army of basic white girls, instagrammers, and mellinnials I will bring Metrocity to it's knees! Behold the power of Lord Pumpkin Spice!!"

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

I now begin to wonder if my own power could generate a realistic enough garlic smell that the character can repel vampires? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Ahh but is it the smell of garlic that repels vampires or some other esoteric quality? I think (by think I mean completely made up on the spot) it has something to do with the way garlic 'gets in to your system'. Like if you eat a bunch of garlic it's not just on your breath, but in you. It comes out in your sweat and (for the sake of argument) I'm betting can even somehow be detect in the blood. Maybe that's what wards of vampires, the fact that garlic taints the blood making it toxic or at the very least offensive.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Ahh but is it the smell of garlic that repels vampires or some other esoteric quality? I think (by think I mean completely made up on the spot) it has something to do with the way garlic 'gets in to your system'. Like if you eat a bunch of garlic it's not just on your breath, but in you. It comes out in your sweat and (for the sake of argument) I'm betting can even somehow be detect in the blood. Maybe that's what wards of vampires, the fact that garlic taints the blood making it toxic or at the very least offensive.

Indeed....I think I remember reading somewhere somebody's take on garlic and vampires(might have been a Ranma fanfic) where it's speculated that certain active chemical constituents in garlic form compounds in blood that have a corrosive effect on vampire flesh...by extension, then, several similar plants to garlic should have the same effect....thereby ending up with something akin to the infamous Knights of the Dinner Table cartoon which has armor-piercing legumes...
hough in the fanfic it resulted in a concentrated garlic spray that was used in several humorous incidents involving a captive vampire held for experiments/target practice...

Which doesn't answer my own question, but was a fun diversion from engaging in actual THOUGHT...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

So was talking to a friend and didn't like the PU1 disintegration power, so here in my attempt at writing one that feels more...disintegration ray-eeee

Energy Expulsion: Disintegration Ray
This power allows the super being to fire a blast of energy that severs the bonds holding an object together reducing it to fine dust and some barely noticeable air/water vapor (a pile of dust with some steam/smoke rising from it). Fortunately for living beings their aura seems to provide some resistance to this power reducing the damage they take by a large amount.
Range: 25 feet +10 feet per lvl
Damage: 1d6 damage direct to hp, +1d6 every other lvl (1d6 at 1st, 2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th and so on)
Special: Does x10 damage against inanimate objects, and in an mdc setting would do hp damage x2 to mdc beings
Duration: Instant
Attacks per melee: 2 per blast
taalismn
Priest

Manipulate Glass(Major)

“People in glass towers shouldn’t pick fights with me.”

“I also do windows.”

The superbeing has abilities over silica glass(but NOT plexiglass), being able to alter and shape it at will. Unlike Alter Physical Structure: Glass and Matter Expulsion: Glass Shards, this power requires an external source of glass to draw upon.
1 ) Alter Translucency---The superbeing can change the light permeability from crystal clear to totally opaque.
Range: Touch or 50 ft per level of experience

2 ) Mirror-Coat---The superbeing can surface glass materials with a perfect mirror finish, and even laser resistance(lasers do HALF damage to the mirrored surface).

3 ) Reinforce Glass---The superbeing can toughen glass up to bullet-proof armor-glass strength.
Bonus: Can add up to 200 SDC + equivalent of the superbeing’s PE in reinforcing points.
Palladium Values for Glass:
Car Side Window 35-150 SDC
Car Windshield 70-100 SDC
Window 20 SDC

4 ) Mold and Shape Glass----With a touch and a thought, the superbeing can make glass run like water, mold like clay(and can even mix different kinds of glass), and instantly set in new shapes, all without heat.
Range: Touch, and can affect 50 lbs of glass per level of experience.

5 ) Shatter Glass---The superbeing can cause glass to instantly fracture, regardless of how tough it is.
Affects contigious pieces of glass, no matter how big they are.

6 ) Mend Glass---The superbeing can instantly repair and restore broken glass, as long as all the pieces are in the general area(20 square ft per level of experience).
Range: Touch or 20 ft per level of experience

7 ) Glass Armor---The superbeing can draw on sources of glass around him to form a protective covering of glass plates. The glass armor has 200 SDC and an A.R. of 12 against ordinary punches, kicks, slow projectiles(like arrows) and low caliber bullets, but only A.R. 9 against metal, stone, and heavier, faster projectiles such as .45 and heavier caliber bullets. The armor can be modified by other aspects of the power to include silvering and razor-edges. Typically takes about 15-20 lbs of glass to make up a full-body suit of armor.

8 ) Glass Weapons---The superbeing can take a piece of glass and instantly reshape it into a razor-sharp weapon.
Range: Touch/Melee
Damage: 1d4 for a simple glass blade to 4d4 for a heavier glass sword.
Glass blades get a +1 against the Armor Rating of ‘soft’ armors such as Kevlar.
Drawback: Glass weapons tend to be fragile. On a successful parry, the glass weapon takes FULL damage from the blow.

9 ) Glass Shards---The superbeing can cause glass around him to shatter, then redirect the pieces into a projectile attack.
Range: Touch or 50 ft per level of experience.
Damage: 1d6 to a 10 ft wide area for a shatter explosion, or 3d6 for a more focused shard-stream focused on one target.

10 ) Other Bonuses:
-The superbeing can see right through tinted and one-way glass
-The superbeing can immediately discern the chemical composition of an article of glass, by touch. 45%+5% per level of experience.
-The superbeing cannot be cut by glass, even accidentally.

(Option) Expansion
This power can be expanded to cover OTHER forms of glass, but at the cost of a Minor power or a skill. Losing one such slot gains the superpower power over ONE of the following alternate kinds of glass:
-Plexiglass/Polymer/Acrylic Glass
-Borate Glass
-Flouride Glass
-Phosphate Glass
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Wow, Manipulate Glass has a lot of abilities. Not enough to tip it into being a Mega, but close.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wow, Manipulate Glass has a lot of abilities. Not enough to tip it into being a Mega, but close.

A lot of abilities, yes, but I really don't think any of them are particularly powerful...and the baseline power applies to silica glass...now, these days we're seeing a lot more polymer-glass, hence the need to sacrifice skills of power slots to extend the powers to other forms of glass. ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”