Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:58 pm

Explorer

After my last run of HU many of my players wanted there to be a save vs. pain. I don't see it as an unreasonable request, so as I worked on some homebrew additions for the game, I took a crack at it. I would like some feedback on what I've done; does it seem fair and balanced and playable.
I've been working on a booklet for the players with updates, new power categories (which PU2 will likely render useless, LOL), so I've simply copied what I've written for them for you to read.

Save vs. Pain
SDC Damage
The first possible saving throw is when the character takes SDC damage. The threshold depends upon the characters PE. Any time a character takes any amount of damage that exceeds her PE, a saving throw vs. Pain must be made, requiring a 12 or better. For every ten points of damage taken that exceeds the PE number, the target number increases +1.

HP Damage
Any time a character takes HP damage, regardless of their PE rating, they must make a saving throw vs. Pain. The idea is that Hit Points represent life threatening damage and cannot be easily ignored. The target number is 15. This can be increased at the GM’s discretion, depending on the situation; damage taken to an already hurt limb can increase the target, or damage taken to a particularly sensitive body part, such as a headshot or groin hit.

Modifiers
All other saving throws have a modifier of some kind, depending upon how high a certain Attribute is. As such, Pain needs an Attribute modifier as well. Two possibilities come to mind: Physical Endurance and Mental Endurance. Some people will argue that the ability to ignore pain is subject wholly to one’s physical abilities. Others will argue that it is mind over matter that counts in this case. Both sides have a valid point, but only one can win out here.

After reviewing the bonus increments found in the main HU book on page 15, I’ve decided to go with PE, utilizing the bonuses used for saves vs. magic/poison. It doesn’t rise up as steep as the ME bonuses do, and I don’t want to reinvent the whole book and write a new bonus chart.

Final Modifier
A character can attempt, as normal, to roll with a punch/fall to reduce the amount of damage they take. If successful, this new damage amount is used to determine if a Pain save is required.

Results of failed rolls
Characters who fail their saving throw are knocked for a loop for the next 1D4 combat actions. During this time, they are partially incapacitated and cannot take any offensive actions. They can continue to defend themselves with parries, but not dodging, at a –5 modifier. Any actions requiring a skill roll are at a –25% modifier. Their speed is reduced by 75% as well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:54 pm

D-Bee

I wouldn't see the need to actually re-create the pain rules. HU already has some great examples from both HU and VU. Check out the below.

To save vs pain it is actually 16 and you use the PE bonus from the magic/poison ie PE = 20 bonus = +3 to save vs pain.

For me the save vs pain roll is only used when the character takes more than 10% of Hit Points in damage from a single attack (HU p19). It doesn't actually say that they should roll to save vs pain but to me when you take more than 10% of hit points damage then a save vs pain is warranted.

I like to use the following chart from VU p16 for when a character is down to his last 15% hit points and fails to save vs pain.

BRASS

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:02 am

D-Bee

I think save vs pain should be PE or ME bonus, players choice , chose once an live with it, since I think that willpower goes alot farther then endurance in some rather painfull situations.....like childbirth, my wife is 105 lbs an delivered a 10lb baby with very few med's......I scared o her now

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:27 am

D-Bee

I almost forgot, you don't roll to save vs pain when you take SDC damage. It frequently describes this in the books that a hero can take untold punishment off his SDC and still keep fighting without feeling the effects. It's only when the hero is on his hit points do they start to feel the pain.

BRASS

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:23 pm

Explorer

But why should they only feel pain when damage is done to HP? Getting shot is still getting shot and I want to simulate that. Maybe my original write up will result in too many rolls. I think I may go with the idea they roll when they have lost half their SDC and then each time they take HP damage.
I don't see a problem with having the roll done on SDC; it may mean NPCs and PCs alike will step back and realize how hurt they really are.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

My pain rules are different too. I have the characters save vs. pain when they hit hit points level. A failure causes a decrease in speed, combat bonuses and attacks (half) unless a called shot in witch theres even more modified rules (the paticular area is quater bonus rounded down). :eek:
I forgot one more thing. A criticle failure means the character passes outs for 1D4 minutes.

My Blog and My Other Blog

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:53 am

Adventurer

The last pain save rules I used were:

SDC: Subtract the character's PE attribute (or 10% of his SDC, whichever's higher) from the damage done- The character must roll below this value on a D20 to save vs pain. Failing the roll will stun the character for a number of attacks equal to the difference in rolls.

Example: Glen has a PE: 15, and takes 29 points of damage. He has to roll a 14 or higher on a D20 to save.... After rolling a 12, he'll be stunned for two melee attacks.