Supernatural PS in your games

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Supernatural PS in your games

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Hey fellow GMs!

I was just wondering what do you all do regarding supernatural PS, more specifically in non-Rifts games? It seems as though almost every supernatural creature has supernatural PS, and I tend to think it's a bit overkill. I can understand that maybe, since they're supernatural, their claws are able to rip through things easier than their physique would indicate, but just giving them supernatural PS doesn't seem like the way to go about it. Perhaps having a higher strike bonus, or their attacks being unparry-able would be more fitting?

Also, what do you do regarding their SDC/HP? Many of the conversions out of the books themselves look way off-balance. Let's look at the Death Demon from Dimension Book 10, a *Greater* demon. In MDC settings it has 100-300 MDC. However, in SDC settings it has a *maximum* of 46 HP and 58 SDC, and an AR of 14. The AR is decent, but not the HP/SDC. Now, it doesn't say anything about being immune to SDC weapons. So, someone with a double-barrel shotgun, which does 10D6 damage, can do an average of 30 damage per shot, even up to 60 damage. The high AR may make it difficult to hurt but, if you do get over 14, then 2-3 shots and it's gone. If you have silver bullets, the damage then gets doubled. All you need is one night hunter from Beyond the Supernatural, and it's gone in a single shot. If this were some minor critter, that'd make sense, but a *greater* demon??

So, what are all your thoughts?

Regards,
RD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Supernatural PS in your games

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

mostly I use the SN beings and creatures from the SDC settings for those settings when I GM. So there is no 'conversion issues'.

Note, if you mean Natural AR, then please say 'Natural AR' or 'Nat. AR' or 'NAR'.

In the NB & HU settings' shotguns do 4d6 SD buck shot and 5d6 SD deer slug. Both being civilian loads. But reloading a double barreled shot gun does takes 1 or more APM.

Then there is the part that demons don't really die if you don't ""kill"" them outside their home dimension.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RainbowDevil
Explorer

What are the SN beings?

AR and Natural AR aren't really any different for supernatural creatures, so not clarifying it's natural doesn't really matter.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

In the NB setting the prominent SN beings are the NB and the night lords & night princes.

Normal AR and Nat AR have different mechanics. so it does matter.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Oh, you mean creatures from the Nightbane sourcebooks? I'm not sure what the "SN" acronym is.

Double-barrel shotguns do double damage, though, which is why the 10D6. When you combine that with a Night/Ghost Hunter character, who can create 2 bullets per level with a single action, reloading is very quick.

So, what is the difference between natural AR and normal AR, as you see it? From what I've read the only difference between the two is if you don't get above the AR with your roll/strike bonuses against someone who's armoured, then it damages the armour. Demons don't wear armour, so there's nothing to damage. So, the same outcome. Besides, it simply states "AR" for the demonic MDC-SDC conversion rules in the Dimension Books.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

RainbowDevil wrote:Oh, you mean creatures from the Nightbane sourcebooks? I'm not sure what the "SN" acronym is.

Double-barrel shotguns do double damage, though, which is why the 10D6. When you combine that with a Night/Ghost Hunter character, who can create 2 bullets per level with a single action, reloading is very quick.

So, what is the difference between natural AR and normal AR, as you see it? From what I've read the only difference between the two is if you don't get above the AR with your roll/strike bonuses against someone who's armoured, then it damages the armour. Demons don't wear armour, so there's nothing to damage. So, the same outcome. Besides, it simply states "AR" for the demonic MDC-SDC conversion rules in the Dimension Books.

SN means "supernatural".

Well the outcome is different, small though it may be. Actual armour takes the damage whereas the monster suffers none. Which means the books should specify "Natural" armour rating in those cases. Pally is not know for attention to detail, though..
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SN is short for Supernatural.

Reformating the topic title to show…

SNPS in your games

Return to “G.M.s Forum”