WP: Paired Weapons

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

WP: Paired Weapons

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Hey folks,

I hope you've all had a great Christmas and New Year! :D

Can someone please tell me what use paired weapons is aside from letting you *strike* twice per action? It lets you strike and parry at the same time, and lets you parry two attackers. However, since parry is automatic, anyone can do this anyway. I have been playing Palladium games since about '90, and am still baffled as to its usage, aside from attacking twice.

If characters got only a limited number of automatic parries, it'd make sense, but I've never seen anything limiting to one auto parry per round.

Is anyone able to clear this up for me?

Regards,
RD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: WP: Paired Weapons

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Like with most everything the fine details in PB are left to a GM to decide how it is going to be in their game.

*sighs* the way you put it all I can say is I don't know. The usual answer is so the char can parry and attack at the same time (simu. attacks being un-parryable unless you have WP paired and two weapons) or parry two attacks simultaneously.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks for that. I forgot about simultaneous parry/attacks being un-parryable!

I know what you mean about details being left. There are so many things like that in Palladium books that I really wonder if they bother to do much playtesting of their rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It lets you parry a simul attack by only attacking once or you can dual attack but no parry at all, not even automatic.

Also if you have one of the obscure HtH styles that do not get automatic parry (yes a few exsist) then taking paired weapons as a WP is a way to get one free parry per turn.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As of RUE, it seems you are limited in the number of attackers you can parry in a given round, Paired Weapons allows one to parry more. It might be older, but it might also be spreadout to.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

also paired weapons pistols lets you shoot two targets within field of vision, roll twice to strike, oncce for each pistol
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I thought you had to take Sharpshooter to be able to Dual Wield pistols...
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

dragonfett wrote:I thought you had to take Sharpshooter to be able to Dual Wield pistols...

To do it with out penalties yes
Either Sharpshooter or the W.P. Dual Pistol from Canada (which is as far as I can tell a unique OCC skill) or have an OCC ability
But the RUE does have rules for shooting two pistols. It just has a pretty hefty penalty for the shots.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually isn't the special skill for dual use of pistols found in WB14?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

This is what we came up with in my group to answer this question:

When attacked, the defender has 5 basic options, of which he may choose one:
1. Parry: Does not count as an action if appropriate combat skill is known
2. Dodge: Counts as an action and denies the defender their next attack
3. Entangle: Counts as an action and denies the defender their next attack
4. Roll with Impact: Counts as an action and denies the defender their next attack
5. Simultaneous Attack: Does not count as an action, but does not allow either party to defend this action

In the case of a Parry or Simultaneous Attack, the defender readies himself to respond with his next action (i.e. Attack). Dodge, Entangle, and Roll with Impact all deny the defender his next action, though he may still defend as usual.
If the defender has the W.P. Paired Weapons skill, he may Parry or Entangle and make a Simultaneous Attack, provided he is wielding appropriate weapons for use with this skill.
Appropriate weapons for use with the W.P. Paired Weapons skill is outlined in the skill description. However, double weapons such as a staff, or similarly wielded weapon, may be allowed as an exception with GM permission. Note: Using W.P. Paired Weapons skill with double weapons does not allow the double strike option normally available to Paired Weapons.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Return to “G.M.s Forum”