Deciding which skills in creation

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dinne
Wanderer

Deciding which skills in creation

Unread post by Dinne »

Thank you for the discussion ahead of time. Everyone has always been great on these forums. :)

I've been musing over how I have my players do their creation of stuff. I always do the 3 roll system. Design/Success/Quality. I give them two tries before they need a new plateau to roll again. I feel like it's always hard to figure out which skills to do where.

For example: Player wants to add 4 gimballed mounts to a hover cycle, 4 laser rifles on them, mdc plating on the mounts. No HUD, just an infra laser.

So, in this example, I have them modify the power supply of the Hovercycle w/ Mechanical Engineering. Install new wiring with basic electronics. Individually or in pairs installing the mounts w/ guns using Field Armorer. Program a targeting computer, computer programming and install is part of previous basic electronics roll. (Or they could just buy one). Adding a laser sight for the targeting would so basic i'd allow recognize weapon quality. Radar install is part of previous basic electronics roll. (Since they didn't want a HUD I nicked the combat computer) A basic switch would be installed to cycle through targets and part of the original electronic roll. Field armorer to modify the rifles in pairs or individually to use the powersupply of the hovercycle.(otherwise they use e clips) Field armorer/gen maintenance could be used to make the mdc covers for the gimballed mount protection.

Viola! A targeting system for a hovercycle!

My only problem is that they want to design their own gimbal mounts... I have no idea how to setup the rolls for something like that. I'd love some ideas or some story swaps on what you guys/gals have done in your campaigns! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Deciding which skills in creation

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Mechanical engineering or weapons engineering
Weapons engineering could do alot of stuff related to the rifles.
Zamion138
Hero

Also field armorer should probably not work for synching up 2 or 4 rifles without negatives again thats weapons engineering
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

Zamion138 wrote:Also field armorer should probably not work for synching up 2 or 4 rifles without negatives again thats weapons engineering

I thought field armorer is basically weapons engineer for small arms like pisols, rifles and conventional weapons. In the ultimate guide it says that field armorers can 'mount and modify' those 3 weapon types. Hm.
Zamion138
Hero

Yeah, like clearing a jam, loading a rail gun or missile system, putting on a new stock or scope, changing a firing pin, replacing eclip contacts.

Making a 180 degree computer controled gimble that tracks two rifles at once, on a machine that has a nuclear engine and flys.....thats weapons engineering.
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

Zamion138 wrote:Yeah, like clearing a jam, loading a rail gun or missile system, putting on a new stock or scope, changing a firing pin, replacing eclip contacts.

Making a 180 degree computer controled gimble that tracks two rifles at once, on a machine that has a nuclear engine and flys.....thats weapons engineering.

Oh, I thought you meant MOUNTING the gimbals. The ultimate guide seems to indicate that mounting and modifying these weapons should be fine. I was planning using something else to design the gimbal mounting structures.

So far, I was thinking mechanical engineering for the 2x motors that rotate on x and y axis respectively. Field Armorer/Gen Repair to craft the frame. Electronics to wire it up. Field Armorer/Gen Repair to make the shielding.
Zamion138
Hero

If your players dont have mechanical engineering or weapons engineering it will have to do, dont spoil a good idea becuase thevgame has more skills than the next 5 games on my self combined
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Dinne wrote:Thank you for the discussion ahead of time. Everyone has always been great on these forums. :)

I've been musing over how I have my players do their creation of stuff. I always do the 3 roll system. Design/Success/Quality. I give them two tries before they need a new plateau to roll again. I feel like it's always hard to figure out which skills to do where.

For example: Player wants to add 4 gimballed mounts to a hover cycle, 4 laser rifles on them, mdc plating on the mounts. No HUD, just an infra laser.

So, in this example, I have them modify the power supply of the Hovercycle w/ Mechanical Engineering. Install new wiring with basic electronics. Individually or in pairs installing the mounts w/ guns using Field Armorer. Program a targeting computer, computer programming and install is part of previous basic electronics roll. (Or they could just buy one). Adding a laser sight for the targeting would so basic i'd allow recognize weapon quality. Radar install is part of previous basic electronics roll. (Since they didn't want a HUD I nicked the combat computer) A basic switch would be installed to cycle through targets and part of the original electronic roll. Field armorer to modify the rifles in pairs or individually to use the powersupply of the hovercycle.(otherwise they use e clips) Field armorer/gen maintenance could be used to make the mdc covers for the gimballed mount protection.

Viola! A targeting system for a hovercycle!

My only problem is that they want to design their own gimbal mounts... I have no idea how to setup the rolls for something like that. I'd love some ideas or some story swaps on what you guys/gals have done in your campaigns! :lol: :lol: :lol:

my 2 cents:
most of the relevant skills have a basic, advanced, specialized version.

going with the electronics example basic electronics is a fairly rudimentary electronics skill advanced is a mid/high level skill and engineering is a design level skill.

for modifying a hovercycle to add additional weapons especially with "active mounts" you are going to end up with a variety of skills being possible, with some making more sense depending on the details of the application.

if bob is sitting in his backyard looking at the pile of spare guns he has and suddenly has the idea of mounting them on his hovercycle. IMO that would be more likely to use the equivalent of automobile mechanics, or field armorer as it seems to fit fairly well but the end job is more likely to be a sort of kludge. ie it will work but its going to tend to look clunky, and may be prone to breakdown and or cause other issues (like balance issues with the hover cycle)

if fred who has mechanical and electrical engineering skills had the same idea he is more likely to have (when done) something that looks like it came out of the factory that way. It may also have other "advanced" features like a "storage mode" where the guns and their mount retract in such a way as to make them hard to notice while stored etc.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”