Turn Invisible At Will...

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Turn Invisible At Will...

Unread post by Grell »

Fellow Game Masters,

If a creature can turn invisible at will, does the invisibility stay active if the creature enters combat? What is your ruling and why?

My gut says "no" and I really like the explanation of how that scenario works (and what bonuses/advantage is imparted) in the case of the Shock Dragons in the Dyval dimension book. If you're familiar with that entry, do you apply it to all creatures with natural invisibility (not to be confused with being naturally invisible) or just the Shock Dragons? Why or why not?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Turn Invisible At Will...

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Some where in a Q&A text it says that for those that can turn invisible as a natural ability it is equivalent to the invisibility Simple spell.

No I don't remember which Q&A text.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I recall seeing that somewhere as well. I think it was in the first Conversion Book.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Bill wrote:I recall seeing that somewhere as well. I think it was in the first Conversion Book.

Thanks, I took a look and wasn't able to find anything. It's probably in the BoM somewhere.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Yes, they stay invisible during combat, making attacks against them at -8.

Yes, such creatures are naturally scarey.

However in rifts it's midigated somewhat by thermal-optics being so common and turn invisible at will does not protect against that.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

And see the invisible is a fairly common ability as well. It can be had as an amulet too, if such things aren't rare in your campaign.

And the note regarding natural invisibility being Invisibility: Simple appears on the spell, RUE, p203.
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Has there ever been any more official clarification on this spell as far as RUE is concerned? In the first print run (which is what I have), superior specifically states it is terminated if you enter combat. Inferior states specifically that neither inferior or superior is terminated.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Voodoolaw wrote:Has there ever been any more official clarification on this spell as far as RUE is concerned? In the first print run (which is what I have), superior specifically states it is terminated if you enter combat. Inferior states specifically that neither inferior or superior is terminated.

Greetings and Salutations. They fixed that by my Third Printing. You can also find this in the Errata found on the Cutting Room Floor. Providing a link is problematic while I'm on my phone, but if you have trouble I can provide a link and exact page number in the errata where it appears later. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

PG 203 RUE Under the Spell: Invisibility: Simple. Has the Note: Beings that turn invisible as a natural and/or magical ability have Simple Invisibility not Superior, and may be heard, smelled, register on motion detectors, etc. Aggressive action (including combat) will not terminate an Invisibility: Simple spell. Characters who can see the invisible see both Simple and Superior Invisibility.
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Thanks. Maybe now that RUE is on sale, I should buy a newer printing.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Mine is 3rd Printing if that info helps.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Marcethus wrote:PG 203 RUE Under the Spell: Invisibility: Simple. Has the Note: Beings that turn invisible as a natural and/or magical ability have Simple Invisibility not Superior, and may be heard, smelled, register on motion detectors, etc. Aggressive action (including combat) will not terminate an Invisibility: Simple spell. Characters who can see the invisible see both Simple and Superior Invisibility.

That's how I've always done it. :ok:

Thanks for all the responses!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”