As a GM this is what I would allow with armor.....

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

As a GM this is what I would allow with armor.....

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Partly for realism but mostly for simple game balance

- Within Plate armor:
MDC and SDC clothing, to include jackets and vests and thick, heavy pants.

- Within EBA:
Only form-fitting MDC and SDC clothing, no jackets or vests. No pilot suits but perhaps form-fitting jump suits, wet suits and such.

- Within Power Armor:
Light MDC and SDC clothing, and any pilot suits which specifically say they are to be worn under PA. Aside from the Glitterboy suit, I dont know of any which fit this requirement.

- Within Robots:
Mostly a case-by-case basis. I'd probably allow almost any size EBA in the Triax Devastator, but not much of anything in the Ulti-Max, even though it qualifies as a Robot. Would not allow P.A. in a robot unless the description specifically said there was room for such. Again, I cant think of any I've ever read in any book.

- Within Vehicles:
I'd allow any EBA and most P.A. unless the vehicle description restricted it. Note that most APC's specify how many EBA or PA soldiers will fit in them.

So for my PC's and NPC's the most protected you could be is:

MDC clothing inside heavy EBA inside a small robot (that allows large EBA) inside a large vehicle that carries small robots.
Or
Heavy MDC flight suit inside large PA inside a transport vehicle, which could be anything from a small APC to a large carrier or mobile fortress.

If anybody has some examples of how you could max out MDC (not including force fields) I'd be interested to hear it.

Of course my rules don't account for borgs. Again that would be a case-by-case basis. I'd find which item they are most equivalent to in volume and go from there. Some of those Russian borgs are larger than giant PA's or tiny robots.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CIVILIZED!
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Re: As a GM this is what I would allow with armor.....

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Oh, and while I'm on the subject I'd say that in a given region, most EBA helmets are swappable with most armor suits. The exception perhaps would be CS armor, not because of technology but because they would not want their armor suits to be used with any civilian gear.

Come to think of it, you'd probably have to remove your high-tech EBA helmet so it would not conflict with the combat systems found in PA or Robots. I also dont think I'd allow borgs to combine their combat system bonuses with high-tech EBA combat systems or PA systems. They'd have to pick one or the other.

OH, exoskeletons! I forgot about them.
I'd have to say they take up the same volume as PA but without the pilot requirements.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

Nice house rules, definitely something playable.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Shorty Lickens wrote:If anybody has some examples of how you could max out MDC (not including force fields) I'd be interested to hear it.

You got it.

Form-fitting body suit (NG has one that says it fits under normal clothing).

MDC clothing/pilot flight suit (like the Glitterboys')

Powered armour (smaller the better). If need-be, cut off unnecessary stuff. Like, take a Flying Titan and remove the jetpack and wings.

Giant Robot or Tank of some sort. This may or may not require custom work, since in the example above, the Flying Titan is around the peak of human dimensions when you remove the wings and jetpack.

However, without any extensive Operator intervention, you can at the very least wrap both the PA and the Robot in that Naruni camo cloth, which would provide an additional layer of protection (and stealth), of about 10pts per layer.

This is all without adding in force-fields, cyber-armour, bionic conversion, or magic.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:If anybody has some examples of how you could max out MDC (not including force fields) I'd be interested to hear it.

You got it.

Form-fitting body suit (NG has one that says it fits under normal clothing).

MDC clothing/pilot flight suit (like the Glitterboys')

Powered armour (smaller the better). If need-be, cut off unnecessary stuff. Like, take a Flying Titan and remove the jetpack and wings.

Giant Robot or Tank of some sort. This may or may not require custom work, since in the example above, the Flying Titan is around the peak of human dimensions when you remove the wings and jetpack.

However, without any extensive Operator intervention, you can at the very least wrap both the PA and the Robot in that Naruni camo cloth, which would provide an additional layer of protection (and stealth), of about 10pts per layer.

This is all without adding in force-fields, cyber-armour, bionic conversion, or magic.

The T-21 Terrain Hopper is the same size as the Flying Titan and appears to be able to modified easier, or it may not even need any modifications at all!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Shorty Lickens wrote:
PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CIVILIZED!

Burn him! :clown:

I have similar guidelines in my houserules; see the resources link in my signature if you want to look them over. It's honestly never come up, but Say got me thinking on the topic a few months ago.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”