Question on Dreadnaught type classes

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Quantum07
Explorer

Question on Dreadnaught type classes

Unread post by Quantum07 »

So, in Splicers it says you cannot take multiple classes. Which makes sense. So, how does the Dreadnaught work? Do I add the SDC from the Dreadnaught to the Dreadguard? What about skills? I guess my root question here is, since Dreadnaught is set up as a complete OCC, how does one multiclass?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Question on Dreadnaught type classes

Unread post by Shark_Force »

where is dreadnaught from?
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

it's in the newest rifter. It's a new official Splicers class.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Quantum07
Explorer

Right, a class the requires you be at least a 5th level Dreadguard to take it. I have no idea how multiclassing works. Because Dreadnaught has its own skills and SDC base, I don't think you just add them together.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Quantum07 wrote:So, in Splicers it says you cannot take multiple classes. Which makes sense. So, how does the Dreadnaught work? Do I add the SDC from the Dreadnaught to the Dreadguard? What about skills? I guess my root question here is, since Dreadnaught is set up as a complete OCC, how does one multiclass?

Ah... Glad to see someone delving into the Dreadnaught.

The Dreadnaught's Skills, S.D.C. and penalties are to be added unto the pre-existing Dreadguard's Skills and S.D.C. The Dreadnaught is still, after all, a Dreadguard. Same experience table progression, same bonuses, etc. A few extra bio-e at each level, but largely the same. Even in the description, the Dreadnaught is listed as more of a "Specialty" then a truly separate class. The same can be likened to the Packlord O.C.C. Specialty.
Quantum07
Explorer

So, you just add the SDC and skills to the SDC and skills that the Dreadguard already has? So, a Dreadnaught will have 90 base SDC?
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Quantum07 wrote:So, you just add the SDC and skills to the SDC and skills that the Dreadguard already has? So, a Dreadnaught will have 90 base SDC?

Yeah, the Dreadnaught both the HA and pilot become some very hardy soldiers as they will need that durability, because they will be sacrificing some considerable speed in comparison to the standard Dreadguard or any other HA pilot. Dreadnaught dodge bonuses also gets a cap off. Specializing so strong in one area tends to create a weakness in another.
Quantum07
Explorer

Alright, thank you. I was making sure I understood the concept, as I am designing some of my own specializations. Was suppose to be one, but as I went down the train of thought, it diverged into at least 3.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Quantum07 wrote:Alright, thank you. I was making sure I understood the concept, as I am designing some of my own specializations. Was suppose to be one, but as I went down the train of thought, it diverged into at least 3.

No problem, glad to help always. Yeah, Specialties are fun to delve into and are some aspects that we plan to reveal more of. We don't want to usurp any of the original O.C.C.s, just to help promote and support them and to demonstrate their diversity. Some of the Specialty paths were also devised to help boost the interests with some of the less popular O.C.C.s.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Premier wrote:
Quantum07 wrote:Alright, thank you. I was making sure I understood the concept, as I am designing some of my own specializations. Was suppose to be one, but as I went down the train of thought, it diverged into at least 3.

No problem, glad to help always. Yeah, Specialties are fun to delve into and are some aspects that we plan to reveal more of. We don't want to usurp any of the original O.C.C.s, just to help promote and support them and to demonstrate their diversity. Some of the Specialty paths were also devised to help boost the interests with some of the less popular O.C.C.s.

Given the nature of splicers I can see specialties being a good way forward instead of always having to offer new occ constantly. Given how the characters bio armors grow and develop over time diverting to specialties seems like a pretty reasonable way to the "evolution" of characters in splicers much more so than in most other settings.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

kaid wrote:
Premier wrote:

Given the nature of splicers I can see specialties being a good way forward instead of always having to offer new occ constantly. Given how the characters bio armors grow and develop over time diverting to specialties seems like a pretty reasonable way to the "evolution" of characters in splicers much more so than in most other settings.

Exactly!
I am so thrilled that other people grasp this concept for Splicers.
Slappy and I didn't want to create new O.C.C.s that would either be repetitive or concepts that usurp and make other O.C.C.s obsolete. We want to preserve the value in the core Splicers O.C.C.s and the new O.C.C.s. By having O.C.C. Specialty paths, this is a development direction in which this can hopefully be done. We have a few cooked up for each of the core O.C.C.s.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

This add-on sounds similar to the 'High Priest' modification of the Priest in Wormwood.

Slight001 wrote:it's in the newest rifter. It's a new official Splicers class.

Since newest changes over time... https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... er-70.html

"Splicers® – Blood and Iron™, “official” source material by Brandon Aten – the Technojacker revisited and expanded, and much more."

part of this?

Quantum07 wrote:So, in Splicers it says you cannot take multiple classes. Which makes sense.

177 says "Multiple Character Classes or dual O.C.C.s are not an option".

It's worth keeping in mind though, that this is also the case in the Palladium RPG, where CHANGING your OCC is an option.

"double or multiple O.C.C. characters. That is, a character that simultaneously develops two (or more) occupation class skills/abilities"

"while simultaneous development of two O.C.C.s is not possible, a character is allowed to change his O.C.C. from time to time"

The phrase "dual O.C.C.s" to me sounds like "double O.C.C." forbidden in the Palladium RPG. The phrase "multiple character classes" to me sounds like "multiple O.C.C." forbidden in the Palladium RPG.

I think maybe Skraypers is simply outlawing simultaneous development, as is the tradition.

I'm not convinced it outlaws changing your OCC and selecting new ones though, so long as you advance them 1 at a time.

I don't see why a Roughneck couldn't freeze their OCC and become a Packmaster or Deadguard instead.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Given how splicers OCC are mostly based around their gear switching OCC like roughneck to dreadguard/packmaster/outrider is largely a case of simple military promotion. You stuck out in some fashion that the higher ups tap you to take on extra duties and give you the equipment needed to do the job and training.

It is like in normal rifts you have CS grunt occ and things like CS special forces/robot pilots/power armor pilots. Generally everybody starts as a grunt and then through promotions and skills they would generally get promoted and switch to one of the other OCC.

Return to “Splicers®”