Sniper Battle!

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

filo_clarke
Adventurer

Sniper Battle!

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Hi Folks,

I am soliciting suggestions about how to spice up a combat scenario for one of my players. The game is set during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, in 1939, and the group is set to assail Castle Karlstejn, and neutralize the enemy forces therein. Now their plan involves blowing up a bridge across the Berounka river, in order to split the Nazi forces in half, and improve their chances for success. They have an improvised explosive planted under one of the main supports, and plan to trigger the explosion with a bullet fired by their sharpshooter. Unfortunately, the best vantage point for this shot places the sharpshooter at the edge of a forest, over a kilometer away from the castle, when the fighting begins.

Now, I could have her trudge back to the castle and rejoin the fight, but given the speed of battles, she would miss a good chunk of the action. So I have decided to pit her against an SS sniper (Enemy at the Gates-style) who is prowling the woods looking for local resistance fighters. This would be a great back-and-forth between two sets of action scenes, one frenetic and explosive, the other tense and nail-biting.

I am familiar with the rules for Opposed Prowl/Perception checks, Firing From/At a Concealed Position, Range Penalties, Speed Modifiers for Forest Travel, and even Penalties for Poor Visibility. Outside of the combat penalties/bonuses, what I am looking for is a way to make this game of cat-and-mouse (or cat-and-cat) as engaging as the chaos that will have enveloped the rest of the group within the castle walls. Ideas, tricks, scenarios, whatever; I'm looking for inspiration.

Oh, for reference, she is armed with a VZ.24 chambered in 7.92x57 Mauser with Lead Ball bullets, and the SS Officer is armed with a 98K-Sniper Variant chambered in the same cartridge, but using Jacketed Soft Point ammunition.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Sniper Battle!

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Outside of setting the mood or providing sources of good visual examples, it all depends on the story telling.

Effectively the round nose soft lead rounds vs the semi-jacketed spitzer rounds are in game terms indistinguishable.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

SpiritInterface wrote:Effectively the round nose soft lead rounds vs the semi-jacketed spitzer rounds are in game terms indistinguishable.

I don't mean to start an argument, but can you cite your source? According to the Compendium of Modern Weaponry, the Jacketed Soft Point inflicts +1 Damage Rank, and -1 Penetration Value, with a -5% loss of range. The sniper is using it because while it is worse against light armor, it is a better man-stopper and doesn't over-penetrate as badly (per the quoted rules).
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

filo_clarke wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:Effectively the round nose soft lead rounds vs the semi-jacketed spitzer rounds are in game terms indistinguishable.

I don't mean to start an argument, but can you cite your source? According to the Compendium of Modern Weaponry, the Jacketed Soft Point inflicts +1 Damage Rank, and -1 Penetration Value, with a -5% loss of range. The sniper is using it because while it is worse against light armor, it is a better man-stopper and doesn't over-penetrate as badly (per the quoted rules).

Outside of the Compendium and Recon, Palladium makes very little distinction between types of rounds. I should have asked which system was being used, the group I game with doesn't use the compendium.

In real life the soft nose spitzer round would have every advantage over the round nose soft lead round. Range, accuracy, and wound performance.

According to the information dug up both the 8mm mauser round nose and spitzer bullets were fully jacketed until after wwII.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say do a little reading on the exploits of some famous snipers - especially of the period.

Here's a starting point https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snipers
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, description will play a large role in this. Allowing skill checks and how they translate into what the character perceives will be huge this situation.

Knowing your enemy's tactics can also be a tremendous advantage. Laying in wait at a point that overlooks a good perch....but did they miss something? Is it the best spot? Are they putting themself in the enemy's sights?

Building that kind of tension will make the encounter.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “G.M.s Forum”