Cyberknight question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Cyberknight question

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Well I was just thinking about cyber knight and its new anti technology powers. And I was like I don't know where to draw the line of what it works on or what it doesn't.

DOes it work on TW items like shockwave cannon, Does it work on things like firebolt musket?

TW weapons with just the power source changed P.P.E.

Does it works on TW melee weapons?

Just wondering what your guys view was on it.
1stTimeGM
D-Bee

Re: Cyberknight question

Unread post by 1stTimeGM »

Originally I was going to say anything with an electrical current, but re-reading SoT 4 page 27 (looks like RUE has it too, page 65) has this little gem:

"Basically any machine with moving parts or that uses electricity or has a computer chip..."

So, if the TW weapon has moving parts (like triggers) I'd say yes, their zen combat bonuses apply.
I don't think flaming sword and lightning rod have moving parts or chips or anything so unless they have switches or buttons I wouldn't let the zen combat bonuses apply.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

a flint-lock rifle with a trigger wouldn't be negated by their ability. so a TW rifle with a simple trigger that uses no electricity and has no computer chip shouldn't be negated IMHO.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

It really depends on how far down the rabbit hole the GM wants to go.
Once you start in on the 'any technology' thing you can get some pretty deep levels when you start to look at what the word 'technology' means.

My general rule is that it is 'high technology', and that TW isn't affected (the magic mixed in to the tech makes it immune). I do this to prevent stuff like 'well bows are technology' and 'what if they used a machine to learn the skill.....'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

mercedogre wrote:a flint-lock rifle with a trigger wouldn't be negated by their ability. so a TW rifle with a simple trigger that uses no electricity and has no computer chip shouldn't be negated IMHO.

Why wouldn't a flintlock rifle be negated? As written even a crossbow would be negated.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Vs TW items. No.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I think it's a horrible power and totally at odds with the concept of the cyber-knight. I encourage you to replace the ability with something more appropriate.

For instance, "Sense Evil Intent" could be a power that gives them the auto-dodge and bonuses listed in the book against opponents of evil alignment instead of against "technology". An anti-evil power is far more in line with the character concept than the current anti-tech power.

Seriously, what were they thinking? I think they got too hung up on the idea of cyber-knights fighting coalition forces in SoT and lost sight of what the OCC was intended to be.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

https://www.google.com/search?q=Robot+F ... DbUQ_AUIBw

I've seen similar anti technology abilities somewhere but I'm having a hard time remembering....
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

SpiritInterface wrote:
mercedogre wrote:a flint-lock rifle with a trigger wouldn't be negated by their ability. so a TW rifle with a simple trigger that uses no electricity and has no computer chip shouldn't be negated IMHO.

Why wouldn't a flintlock rifle be negated? As written even a crossbow would be negated.

Like I said, just my opinion. don't like it? Ignore it, nothing to argue about
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I have a group of cyberknights with monster hunting powers. Sense evil, they can spend ppe to gain HP as MDC and gain supernatural PS, use demon death blow a tech that lets them parry give monster attacks (house rule that large monsters are hard to parry, made sense to me).

As to the original question, TW guns use technology in their construction, techno-wizardry...eh? If it's a gun, especially if using advanced optics in targeting, are penalized.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:I think it's a horrible power and totally at odds with the concept of the cyber-knight. I encourage you to replace the ability with something more appropriate.

Agreed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:I think it's a horrible power and totally at odds with the concept of the cyber-knight. I encourage you to replace the ability with something more appropriate.

Agreed.

when i first read it, i thought it was over the top, again an opinion, but im sure someone will try to argue a point
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mouser13 wrote:Well I was just thinking about cyber knight and its new anti technology powers. And I was like I don't know where to draw the line of what it works on or what it doesn't.

DOes it work on TW items like shockwave cannon, Does it work on things like firebolt musket?

TW weapons with just the power source changed P.P.E.

Does it works on TW melee weapons?

Just wondering what your guys view was on it.

Personally the Zen Combat is the only thing I'd drop from the RUE/SoT CK as it is a very radical change to the class IMHO. The expanded Psi-Powers (include Psi-Sword) isn't that bad, and can be easily worked in (character just was not that proficient), even the Living Cyber-Armor enhancement isn't that bad as it isn't the primary armor of the Knight.

That said, if your read Level 9's abilities it would work on TW guns (which IMHO includes the shockwave cannon and firebolt musket) and devices, but does not include TW melee weapons. Weather this applies retroactively to earlier levels or as a result of Level 9 is another matter (personally I'd go w/retro-active).
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

mercedogre wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Like I said, just my opinion. don't like it? Ignore it, nothing to argue about

I am just curious about the rational behind the decision.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “G.M.s Forum”