NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Under range for the frisbee drone, you list a flying speed. That is not a range.

Sorry; been awhile.
Fixed, but I meant that beyond the 60 ft 'indefinite life span' range, maximum range is limited by speed and lifespan duration(how far it can go at Speed 30 x duration time y).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[These are a bit adult for this PG rated forum, don't you think?

I'd argue 'but aren't we adults?" but I've decided to delete the original posts rather than tuff it out.

I am disappointed
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[These are a bit adult for this PG rated forum, don't you think?

I'd argue 'but aren't we adults?" but I've decided to delete the original posts rather than tuff it out.
For the record, I wasn't going to have any male-exclusive powers, simply because arguably the boys have too many self-granted advantages already.
I'll stick to Frisbees and suggestive skills.
ZiiiiipppppppppppppppppppppYAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!....damn it, put the 'Power Disrobe' power to rest, Unraveler!!! We don't need Flashman to be literal THAT way!!!!
It's just that I've had powers pulled before that were along those lines.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

For the record, I wasn't going to have any male-exclusive powers, simply because arguably the boys have too many self-granted advantages already.
I'll stick to Frisbees and suggestive skills.
ZiiiiipppppppppppppppppppppYAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!....damn it, put the 'Power Disrobe' power to rest, Unraveler!!! We don't need Flashman to be literal THAT way!!!!
It's just that I've had powers pulled before that were along those lines.

Do we have a Censorship power? Might be worth a Minor...Optically blocks out or auditorially deletes offensive sights and sounds....Of course, if you set the threshold TOO low, you go blind and deaf....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:Do we have a Censorship power? Might be worth a Minor...Optically blocks out or auditorially deletes offensive sights and sounds....Of course, if you set the threshold TOO low, you go blind and deaf....
If it were a matter expulsion power, it might actually surround the offending person in black bars. If it were a sonic power, it might emit a high-pitched beeping noise when an offensive person curses. :lol:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

fbdaury wrote:Whipping Boy (Major Power)

"That the best you got?" <Flexes muscles and cracks neck and knuckles> "My turn now..."

This power, quite simply, allows the possessor to convert the pain of the blows that they've taken into personal strength and increased personal durability. However, as they become more durable, it becomes harder and harder for them to reach the upper limits of their power.

1. Convert Pain into Strength
For every 3 S.D.C. or hit points of damage that the character takes, they add +1 to their P.S. attribute. Once they have added +10 to P.S., their strength becomes Extraordinary (if they do not already possess other enhanced strength abilities), once they have added +25 to P.S., their strength becomes Superhuman, and when they have added +40 or more to P.S., their strength becomes Supernatural in nature!

2. Convert Pain into Durability
Although this power does not increase the character's S.D.C. or hit points other than the one-time bonuses granted below), it does give them the ability to take reduced damage from attacks as their level of strength increases. Once they reach the Extraordinary level of strength, they take 25% less damage from ALL attacks. When their strength goes up to Superhuman level, they then take 50% less damage from all attacks. And finally, when (or even if) their strength reaches the Supernatural level, their resistance to harm is increased to 75%, meaning that they take only 1/4 the normal damage of any attack leveled at them!

Penalties: Until they reach Extraordinary level of strength, these characters are just as vulnerable to harm as anyone else. Also, the maximum bonus that can be added to their P.S. attribute is equal to their P.E. attribute score x2.

Other Bonuses: +4 to all saving throws vs. Pain, +1D4 to P.E., and +1d6x10 S.D.C.

I can't say I'd use this one. Say I build a tank character with a strength of super human 60, a batch of damage soak powers (like healing factor), and this is going to get out of hand fast, even if you never cross into super natural PS thresh holds. The problem is amplified if you get into PU 2 builds where you get powers plus class features that act as powers.

If you do use it, the GM is going to have to stay in tight control of the situation, which might take some of the fun out of things.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

So, I apologize if this is not the right place for this, with it being a power intended for use in either a Rifts or Skraypers game, but I don't think there is a powers thread on the Rifts board, so here goes:

Iron Shirt (Rifts / Minor Power)
Andrea decided to bunk down for the night on top of the Mountaineer that at least some of the group was currently referring to as home- it was a beautiful, clear night and she felt like sleeping out under the stars. They had been careful the last few days and she was sure they had lost any potential followers so she had left her armor inside.
Although her hearing wasn’t as keen as the dog boys in the group, it was sufficient to make out a light snapping noise up in the trees and the light crack of a sniper rifle being fired. Fortunately, her superhuman reflexes had her moving, rolling off the side of the Mountaineer, before her brain fully registered what she had heard. She heard the thud and bang as the ramjet rounds dented the armored skin of the vehicle.
“Wonderful, if those hit me right now I’m dead,” she thought as she took a moment to summon her inner life-force and, taking a deep breath, she focused it into her skin, transforming it so that it became like unto a thing of iron. “Ahhhhhh, that’s better,” she thought as she looked around for something to use as a weapon.
Seeing the large boulder, she made a run for it, her now-armored skin shedding the ramjet rounds that struck her like a duck shedding water. She hefted the boulder one-handed and spun- fortunately with a missile this big total accuracy would not be necessary- she tossed the boulder roughly back along the trajectory of the explosive rifle rounds. There was a cracking of trees and branches and then the dull thud of a man being hammered by a ton of solid rock, then the sound of man, boulder, and trees all striking the ground at the same time, accompanied by a shockwave from their impact with the ground.
Andrea walked over cautiously to her would-be assassin, only to find him pinned under the boulder and a pair of trees, but still alive, if only barely, due to his suit of military-grade armor. From the sounds of his breathing, he had a punctured lung and at least one of his legs was twisted up underneath him in a manner that suggested multiple broken bones. Lifting the trees and boulder off him carefully, she searched him and removed all the weapons she could find from him before tearing the already badly damaged armor off him and then carefully applying emergency first aid to him to stabilize his condition. He was worth more to the group alive than dead.
And as she managed to finish stabilizing the sniper, her companions (awoken as they were by the sounds of battle and the shockwave through the ground) started to arrive at her position.

This minor power is a modified version of the Extraordinary Physical Endurance power, as it was defined in the Skraypers Dimension Book. Under normal circumstances, the character possessing it has the enhanced P.E., S.D.C., and Hit Points of the Heroes Unlimited version of the power, but by focusing their Chi and spending 8 points of it, they are able to temporarily transform themselves into a Mega-Damage being for a limited period of time.

Bonuses: Chi is equal to their P.E. attribute x2 (plus any additional bonuses from Martial Art forms or skills).
Fatigues at 1/10th the normal rate
Add +1D6+5 to the P.E. attribute and take note of all bonuses this provides to their saving throws.
Add 4D4x10 S.D.C. to the character
Add 3D6 to Hit Points and the character receives an additional +1D4 Hit Points per level.
Iron Shirt Ability: By taking one melee action to focus their Chi into their physical form, they can temporarily become a M.D.C. being! Roll 4D4x10 for the amount of M.D.C. they acquire plus an additional +2D4 M.D.C. per level of experience- roll only once for this amount and keep track of it separately from S.D.C. and Hit Points, as they heal 1D6 M.D.C. per minute once they transform back into their more fragile form.
Cost: 8 Chi per use (recovered as normal).
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience.

Penalties: After the Iron Shirt duration ends, the character is temporarily weakened, suffering the following penalties for 1D10 minutes afterwards: -50% Spd, -2 attacks per melee, -2 to all combat rolls and -15% to all skill rolls for the duration.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury: It's too powerful for a minor in Heroes Unlimited. Not sure how it stacks up in Skraypers.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:fbdaury: It's too powerful for a minor in Heroes Unlimited. Not sure how it stacks up in Skraypers.

In Heroes Unlimited it is Extraordinary P.E., nothing more- it's only intended for Rifts or Skraypers use as that is the only place the Iron Shirt ability would apply.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:fbdaury: It's too powerful for a minor in Heroes Unlimited. Not sure how it stacks up in Skraypers.

In Heroes Unlimited it is Extraordinary P.E., nothing more- it's only intended for Rifts or Skraypers use as that is the only place the Iron Shirt ability would apply.
It is those extra bonuses for Rifts that make it too powerful to be a minor. If you are writing it for Rifts and Skraypers, it should be on par with the powers in Skraypers.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
fbdaury wrote:

It is those extra bonuses for Rifts that make it too powerful to be a minor. If you are writing it for Rifts and Skraypers, it should be on par with the powers in Skraypers.

I'm not sure what bonuses are too high- the MDC provided by the Iron Shirt ability is based exactly on the Extra PE power description from Skraypers, the SDC/Hit Point bonuses are those normal for the HU version of Extra PE and the doubled Chi is based on the note from N&SS that the Extra PE power doubles Chi- also keep in mind that the MDC does not apply all the time and when it doesn't apply, that's when the SDC/Hit Points are in effect, not at the same time.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I'm going to buy Armageddon Unlimited tomorrow if my local gaming store has it in stock, so hopefully I'll be inspired to write up more powers soon.

Update: I bought it and have seen some things I can make into stand-alone powers that are currently part of other things. I might have something to post here soon.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Soul Drinker (Major) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from the special powers of the Soul Slayer enchanted weapon from Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

1. Drinking Souls: The character can draw the life essence or soul out of a victim's body when drawing blood during an attack. This takes an additional melee attack/action added to the number of actions used for the attack. The character must be in contact with the character, either by direct touch or by holding a weapon which is making contact with the target (melee weapon attacks or physical strikes, not including projectile attacks or energy expulsion attacks), and blood must be drawn- meaning it needs to do Hit Point damage- before he can drink a soul.
Saving Throw: To save vs. soul attack, the victim must roll to save vs. magic of 14 or higher (PE bonus applies). On a successful save, the victim suffers no additional effects other than the strike damage. A failed save, however, means that the victim suffers the effects of having their soul drank.
Effects: On a failed roll to save vs. soul attack, the victim's soul is torn from his body. What surprises people is that losing one's soul doesn't hurt, the victim is not dead. However, there is an odd feeling of emptiness and all super abilities and/or spell casting abilities are reduced by 30% (range, duration, damage, etc.). Victims who lose their soul see their PPE reduced by 30%, which mainly affects the amount of PPE available to spell casters, and psychics see their ISP reduced by 30%. Furthermore, the soulless victim cannot advance in levels until the soul is recovered (which could be impossible). What may not be evident at first is that the body is an empty shell, which means the victim has no ability to save vs. possession; don't bother to roll. If a being tries to possess a soulless body, the possession is an automatic success. Similarly, the ME attribute is reduced by half; adjust bonuses accordingly. Id the soul is not recovered in 2D6 years, the body dies, turning to dust. Should the body be killed in the meantime, nothing short of a miracle could bring the soulless character back to life.
Uses Per Day: The power of Soul Drink is limited to being used six times per day.

2. Store Souls: No one really knows what happens to a soul when it is consumed by a Soul Drinker. It is said that the soul is lost in a limbo-like environment with no sense of the passage of time. The Soul Drinker can store the souls within himself indefinitely and they are lost if he dies. Each soul absorbed increases the character's available PPE by 10 points, or by 30% of the absorbed victim's PPE, whichever is less. Any soul absorbed by the Soul Drinker can be released back into its original body, or transferred to a crystal/gemstone or other enchanted object, with said transfer using one of the character's melee attacks/actions. Souls placed into a gemstone can be traded like currency to supernatural beings who trade in souls. Thus many souls are often given away or taken and transported to places beyond where they can be recovered. While this may not bode well, this does however mean that a soul can be released.
Number of Souls Stored: The Soul Drinker can safely store within himself a number of souls equal to his ME attribute numberX10. He can also store more than this unsafely, meaning for each additional soul stored within himself he must roll for a random insanity on the table in the HU2 core rulebook page 28, with the maximum number of souls that can be stored unsafely limited to ten. Beyond this maximum number, the Soul Drinker must release a soul or transfer it into a gemstone to create room for more souls.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I have four more to post and am still trying to work out the details of two more. My time online will be limited, however, so I may wind up posting a lot of them on Saturday.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Do we have a Censorship power? Might be worth a Minor...Optically blocks out or auditorially deletes offensive sights and sounds....Of course, if you set the threshold TOO low, you go blind and deaf....
If it were a matter expulsion power, it might actually surround the offending person in black bars. If it were a sonic power, it might emit a high-pitched beeping noise when an offensive person curses. :lol:

Could the matter expulsion power form a Nun or 1920's teacher with Ruler and make impact of sort. :D
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Retrieve Souls (minor) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from the powers of a Soul Saver weapon of order from Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character with this power can retrieve captured souls from any magic weapon, magic device, gemstone, or a character with the major super power Soul Drinker, though in the case of the super power, the target can make a saving throw vs. this power/magic (14 or better, PE bonus applies). This power is activated when the character touches the object or person the souls are stored in and uses one melee attack/action for each soul retrieved. If a magic weapon or object/device that has protective wards to prevent someone from touching it, this power negates it for one melee round per level of the character's experience, with said magic negation ability usable only six times per day. Only seven souls may be retrieved and held at one time. This power can also be used to place a soul back into a body, but the body must be living, or at the very least, healed to at least one Hit Point. This can be a very traumatic experience for the person being given back their soul and the GM may want to roll on the Random Insanity Table (HU2 main book page 28) when this happens. If there is no body, the soul can be released so that the person can find eternal peace. As the soul is released there is a ghostly apparition of the person and it can communicate for up to ten minutes before it must leave, so any last goodbyes could be said or critical information/clues imparted.

Negate Possession (minor) by Stone Gargoyle, adapted from material appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

Any strike by the character using a melee weapon or physical strike has a 01-80% chance of forcing the possessing entity or being out of a body. This also effectively prevents the possessing entity from possessing anyone else for ten minutes, plus ten minutes per each additional level of the negating character. Also, the individual previously possessed by the invading entity/being/person cannot be possessed again for 24 hours.

Soul Sense (minor) by Stone Gargoyle, adapted from material appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character with this ability can tell if a person has lost his soul, or if a character, demon/Deevil, magic weapon or object, or gemstone is in possession of additional souls other than their own. The character will know how many souls and the approximate location and distance to the souls, within a range of 500 feet, plus 50 feet per additional level of experience. This power is constant and automatic.
taalismn
Priest

Nice....very specific and highly specialized powers, but if you're looking to save souls from imprisonment(or freeing a villain from 'ultimate maximum security'), this guy's your man(or mercenary).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Nice....very specific and highly specialized powers, but if you're looking to save souls from imprisonment(or freeing a villain from 'ultimate maximum security'), this guy's your man(or mercenary).
Yeah, they had them attached to specific weapons and I felt that a hero with powers might very well have these abilities.

Up next: Angel Wings, and I am still trying to work up a stained glass wings power as well as an energy flight specifically designed to be solar (so as to be able to burn demons/Deevils).
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Angel Wings (Major) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from the Crusader of Light's super ability from Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character has angelic wings which give him a number of abilities.
Flight Speed: 160mph plus 10mph per level of experience
Bonuses in Flight:
Awe/Horror Factor: 13. Acts as an Awe Factor for those normal people seeing the character for the first time or in action with wings spread/ in flight. Evil characters and demons/Deevils treat this as a Horror Factor.
+1 attack per melee round
+1 to strike
+1 to parry
+4 to dodge while in flight
+6 to damage for every 20mph of flying speed
S.D.C. Bonus: +1d4X10 S.D.C., and each wing has 75 S.D.C. When all S.D.C. is depleted, wings are effectively destroyed and cannot be used until they fully regenerate.
Wing Regeneration: Wings heal at a rate of 4d6 per 10 minutes, plus fully destroyed wings are regenerated within 24 hours.
Concealment: The wings appear and disappear at will as if by magic, thus being completely concealed until the character needs them. Causing wings to disappear and reappear does not affect their S.D.C. or heal them in any way. Making the wings appear or disappear uses one melee attack/action.
Feathers: At the cost of 1 S.D.C. point, the character can pluck 1d4 feathers and hurl them at falling targets, such as people or objects. Any person or object hit with a feather takes one point of damage (disregards A.R., magic protection and invulnerability) but stops falling and gently floats to earth, landing without harm from the fall. People and objects affected are essentially 10% their normal weight for the purposes of other characters catching them and do no damage to anything they fall on. This effect remains until the person or object struck by the feather touches the ground or other solid surface and stops moving. There is a weight limit for people and objects affected of 500 pounds per feather. The feathers, like the wings, are magic in nature and can be thrown for 1000 feet, +100 feet per level of the character's experience, with a bonus of +2 to strike with an angel wing feather. This can be used in combat to stop someone from jumping down on the character or on objects dropped on the character as well.
Drawbacks and Limitations: The wings and feathers are magical in nature and can be caused to disappear with a negate magic spell. The character is +4 to save vs. magic, however, and can make the wings reappear after one full melee round.
taalismn
Priest

[quote="Stone Gargoyle], and can make the wings reappear after one full melee round.[/quote]

Ah, the reserve 'chute. Plus by this time you've hopefully fallen free of the anti-magic cloud.... :angel:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:, and can make the wings reappear after one full melee round.

Ah, the reserve 'chute. Plus by this time you've hopefully fallen free of the anti-magic cloud.... :angel:
Well, if you are bound by magical bonds that prevent you from opening the wings, you're pretty much screwed.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I finally got some more powers written up, so should be posting them soon.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stained Glass Wings (Major) by Stone Gargoyle, based on powers and abilities appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character has angel wings which appear to be made of stained glass instead of feathers.

1. Angel Wings: The character has a pair of angel-like wings which appear to be made of stained glass, like that of a church window.
Flight Speed: 100mph plus 5mph per level of experience
Flight Bonuses:
Wing AR: The wings have a natural AR of 12 when in flight, more if wrapped protectively around the character (see below).
Horror/Awe Factor: 14
+1 attack per melee round
+1 to strike
+1 to parry
+4 to dodge in flight
+6 damage for every 20mph of flying speed
SDC Bonus: +1d4X10, and each wing has 80 SDC. Destroyed wings disappear and are unavailable for 24 hours while they regenerate. Wings reduced to 10% of their total SDC become useless for flight and the character is grounded or falls from flight.
Wing Regeneration: Stained Glass Wings heal at a rate of 4d6 per 10 minutes unless destroyed, after which they take 24 hours to regenerate.
Limitations: Wings cannot be concealed.

2. Light Refraction: The character can use his wings to parry light and laser attacks with a +4 to do so.

3. Wrap-Around Armor: When not in flight, the character can wrap the wings around himself and gains a Natural AR of 14 if his arms are outside the wings, and a Natural AR of 16 if his arms are under the wings. Any attacks bypassing the AR do damage to the wings first.

4. Protection From Supernatural Evil: The holy nature of the wings generates a protective field that prevents demons, Deevils and creatures of Supernatural Evil from coming within a 10 foot radius of the character unless they make a saving throw vs. magic of 14 or higher, and even those who come closer suffer 3d6 Hit Point/SDC damage per melee round while they are in the field. On a failed saving throw, the monsters cannot come within 10 feet of the character, but can still use ranged attacks from weapons, spells or psionics to attack from a distance. This ability is on whenever the wings are present, so it will not be present if the wings are regenerating after being destroyed.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Sun Blade (minor) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from the Crusader of Light superability from Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character is able to summon a blade of pure energy at will. The Light Blade appears in whichever hand the character desires. It takes a single melee attack/action to summon the blade and it lasts as long as the character desires it. The blade is 18 inches long. It cannot be handed off and disappears if the character is rendered unconscious.
Damage: 5d6, +3 points per level of experience. The light is equivalent to sunlight so it does 50% greater damage to the undead, zombies and other beings vulnerable to the light of day/sunlight. For being impervious to energy or light, the blade still inflicts half damage.
Bonus Skill: The character also gets WP Sword equal to his current level of experience.
Bonuses: +1 melee attack and +1 to initiative when using the Sun Blade.
Notes:
The Sun Blade can be used to parry light and laser attacks with +4 to do so.
If this power is taken twice, either the blade had twice the length and damage OR creates a second blade which can be used in the character's other hand.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Protection From Evil (Major) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from material appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character with this power radiates a Holy energy which prevents demons, Deevils, and other creatures of Supernatural Evil from coming within a 10 foot radius of the character unless they make a saving throw vs. magic of 14 or higher.
Those making their saving throw can enter the radius of effect but are immediately expelled and sent flying out of it, taking 1d4X10 Hit Point/SDC damage and being knocked 4d6 feet out of the circle, knocking them down (lose one melee attack/action and initiative for the melee round).
On a failed saving throw, the monsters cannot come within 10 feet of the character, but can still use ranged attacks from weapons, spells or psionics to attack from a distance.
This ability is always on and will remain in effect even if the character is knocked unconscious or is in a coma.
Limitations:
This ability can only be taken by characters of Good alignment (Principled or Scrupulous).
A spell negating magic will cause this power to disappear for 24 hours, during which time the character is vulnerable to attacks by demons, Deevils and other creatures of Supernatural Evil.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Protection From Evil (Major) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from material appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

The character with this power radiates a Holy energy which prevents demons, Deevils, and other creatures of Supernatural Evil from coming within a 10 foot radius of the character unless they make a saving throw vs. magic of 14 or higher.
Those making their saving throw can enter the radius of effect but are immediately expelled and sent flying out of it, taking 1d4X10 Hit Point/SDC damage and being knocked 4d6 feet out of the circle, knocking them down (lose one melee attack/action and initiative for the melee round)..

"Walked into a political convention and eight people went hurtling...."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Protection From Evil (Major) adapted by Stone Gargoyle from material appearing in Armageddon Unlimited by Carl Gleba

Those making their saving throw can enter the radius of effect but are immediately expelled and sent flying out of it, taking 1d4X10 Hit Point/SDC damage and being knocked 4d6 feet out of the circle, knocking them down (lose one melee attack/action and initiative for the melee round)..

You might want to stay out of courtrooms, too.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
You might want to stay out of courtrooms, too.[/quote]

It's when it happens at PTA meetings that you might want to get a little concerned....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:"Walked into a political convention and eight people went hurtling...."
You might want to stay out of courtrooms, too.

It's when it happens at PTA meetings that you might want to get a little concerned....
It'd definitely be an interesting introduction to a new campaign where there are demons walking amongst people disguised as normal folks.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

I have always been a bit underwhelmed by the various strength powers so I have been musing over a rewrite of them here's my first attempt. Sorry about the format, I can edit later if it's a problem.

Super Strength (minor or major power (see below))
This character possesses superhuman strength.  Whether or not the character also possesses a superhuman physique is up to the player.  The character does not need to workout to maintain the strength or physique.  Also, the character can take this power multiple times, each time the bonuses stack.  Taking this power as a Major power is the same as taking it as a minor power 3 times (i.e. triple bonuses, x8 lifting capacity, does 3 extra dice damage, etc.)
Bonuses:
  • Increases P.S. +2d6
  • Increases P.B. +1d4 (OR an additional +1 P.S.)
  • Increases P.E. +1d4 (OR an additional +1 P.S.)
  • +3d6 S.D.C.
  • +1d6 H.P.
  • each level doubles the character's lifting capacity (i.e. a character with a 10 P.S. and one level of Super Strength could lift (20 x 10 x 2) 400 pounds.  If the character took a second level of Super Strength (increasing P.S. to 15), he could now lift (20 x 15 x 2 x 2) or 1200 pounds
  • 1 extra die of damage with melee attacks / thrown weapons.  This is the same as the base die (ie a normal human punch does 1D4 damage so a character with 1 level of Super Strength would do 2D4 damage, 3D4 with 2 levels, 4D4 with 3 levels, etc.)
  • 3 levels is the equivalent of Supernatural Strength for certain considerations
Last edited by barna10 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banana Prince
D-Bee

Unread post by Banana Prince »

Prince Cherico wrote:Minor power Juke box

the charater is like a liveing recorder he can absorbe any
sound and can replicate it perfectly, He can record any sound
for One hour per level of experence after this the power needs
a half hour break. The recording can be played at any time.

Bounises sound attacks do no damage

That sounds like it could be really powerful in a "spying" type adventure.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Not sure how well this will go over, but here' goes...

Natural Mage (minor)
Through random mutation, exposure to arcane energy, or some other cause this being has become a Natural Mage, somewhat like a Mystic. Suddenly things make sense and a new magical world is available to explore.
  • When this power is acquired, pick 2 spells each from spell levels 1 and 2. This can be from any type of magic, but only one type of magic can be chosen. These are spells the character "just figured out". The GM and Player should work together and decide if ranges, durations, P.P.E. costs, etc. should be tweaked to make these non-standard to reflect the unconventional gaining of these spells.
  • When a new level is gained, pick one spell with a level equal to or less than the character's experience level to added to known spells. Choices are limited to the school of magic chosen above. Similar restrictions as Mystics regarding learning new spells.
  • Bonuses: +1 to Perception (+3 if magic is involved), +4D6 P.P.E., +1D6 P.P.E per additional level, Starting spell strength is 10, +1 at levels 4, 8, 12, and 15

Natural Mage (major)
The character is a naturally gifted mage. The character may not know why, it may even be a mutation. Regardless, the character can wield powerful magics
  • When this power is acquired, pick 3 spells each from spell levels 1 through 4. this can be from any type of magic, but only one type of magic can be chosen. These are spells the character "just figured out". The GM and Player should work together and decide if ranges, durations, P.P.E. costs, etc. should be tweaked to make these non-standard to reflect the unconventional gaining of these spells.
  • When a new level is gained, pick two spells with a level equal to or less than the character's experience level to added to known spells. These are gained much like a Mystic gains his or her spells. Choices are limited to the school of magic chosen above.
  • The character is a full-fledged mage and can learn and be taught spells like Mystic Study characters.
  • Gains Sense Magic and Spell Translation as the same level Mystic Study character
  • Bonuses: +2 to Perception (+4 if magic is involved), Choose 2 lore skills (intuitive knowledge), +1 to save versus Magic, +1 at levels 3, 7, 11, and 15, starting Spell Strength is 12, +1 at levels 4, 7, 10, and 13, +1D4X10 + P.E. attribute P.P.E., +10 per additional level

What do you think?
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

barna10 wrote:Not sure how well this will go over, but here' goes...

Natural Mage (minor)
{snip}
Natural Mage (major)
{snip}
What do you think?

Interesting personally I don't see them as any more or less powerful than the published powers... however I do have a question... or several...

What happens when these are taken multiple times? Can they be taken multiple times? Do they stack? What happens if the school of magic runs out of spells? Some schools of magic are rather limited.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Slight001 wrote:
barna10 wrote:Not sure how well this will go over, but here' goes...

Natural Mage (minor)
{snip}
Natural Mage (major)
{snip}
What do you think?

Interesting personally I don't see them as any more or less powerful than the published powers... however I do have a question... or several...

What happens when these are taken multiple times? Can they be taken multiple times? Do they stack? What happens if the school of magic runs out of spells? Some schools of magic are rather limited.

I also wondered about taking the powers multiple times after I posted this, and I don't think that'd be an issue. I would simply add the Perception bonus, save versus Magic, P.P.E. bonus, and the P.P.E. recovery do not stack, but I would still allow the extra lore skills and I'd note that the best Spell Strength is used.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I don't think the school of magic running out of powers is an issue. If it is an issue, simply don't choose that school of magic.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

barna10 wrote:I also wondered about taking the powers multiple times after I posted this, and I don't think that'd be an issue. I would simply add the Perception bonus, save versus Magic, P.P.E. bonus, and the P.P.E. recovery do not stack, but I would still allow the extra lore skills and I'd note that the best Spell Strength is used.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I don't think the school of magic running out of powers is an issue. If it is an issue, simply don't choose that school of magic.

It's always nice to have the author of a power talk about their views and intent regarding their creation.

If I were running these powers I'd allow the user to stack the P.P.E. bonuses (they are quite weak) and set the magic major perception bonus to a general magic perception bonus with the minors providing a specialized bonus to precieving of their specific school.

I'd also likely introduce a P.P.E. boosting (ie increase P.P.E. pool) based minor power that perhaps included the ability to recover P.P.E. faster. And for non-mages the ability to power TW/magic items.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Edit: Redacted

Reason: Heroes of the Megaverse already has a Matter Expulsion:Water.
Last edited by Niji on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

It's been a while, so hopefully the format is ok.

No Sell(minor)
"Nice punch. Would be nicer if it actually did anything."

This power allows the user to basically look as if they're unaffected by any damage
they take. By default it is always on, even when they're asleep or otherwise unconscious,
though it can be suppressed at will. The player can choose how the damage cover up is
explained, be it an illusion or some kind of superficial regeneration ability. Regardless
of the explanation, the end result is the same; no matter how much damage the character
takes they look completely unscathed. Even though they don't look like they've taken
any damage, they are still fully affected by the damage and whatever side effects as a
result. They could take a flamethrower at close range and only look a little sooty, even
if they are actually in incredible pain and suffering from third degree burns. This seeming
immunity to damage isn't limited to just looks, the character is also able to act like they
are unfazed by whatever is affected them. This can give them a seeming immunity to torture
as no matter what they're subjected to they will never seem to break.

Effects: At it's most basic level this power just lets the player not show any outward
appearance of being affected by any kind of damage they receive, either physically or
socially. Even if they're actually on the verge of death and suffering severe internal bleeding,
they look completely fine and can keep their composure. This power is always on, but at third
level they have gained enough control they can decide if they want it to stay active when asleep
or knocked unconcious. The player can choose for themselves what is actually causing this effect,
but the source doesn't convey any extra benefits beyond what this power provides.
Bonuses: +3 to M.E., +2 to P.E. +2D6 to S.D.C. At 5th level the character becomes immune
to non-magical bleeding(instant coagulation of wounds).
Penalties: While the power is in effect, others are at a -25% to any attempts to treat them
with medical skills because they can't see any wounds. They are at -40% to perform surgery because
wounds seem to instantly close the moment they are made. While this is a penalty, in some cases
this can actually be of benefit to the player.
Last edited by MrTwist on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
taalismn
Priest

MrTwist wrote:It's been a while, so hopefully the format is ok.

No Sell(minor)
"Nice punch. Would be nicer if it actually did anything."

This power allows the user to basically look as if they're unaffected by any damage
they take. By default it is always on, even when they're asleep or otherwise unconscious,.

Reminds me of Sam Vimes taking to the Patrician in Terry Pratchett's Thud!, giving the after-action report of a dwarf-troll riot the Watch was caught in the middle of. The verbalized account is that the police took no injuries except for Vimes getting tagged. But the mindgame exchange :
"You yourself are not too badly injured?" the Patrician said aloud. "Just a few scratches, sir," said Vimes.

Vetinari gave him a look which said: broken ribs, I"m certain of it.

Vimes returned one which said: nothing.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Not sure about this one. I'm sure it has been done before and might need a bit of tweaking.

Damage Reduction(minor or major)
That hurt. Not a lot, but it still hurt.

This power allows the character to reduce the amount of damage they take from various sources, regardless of what type of damage it is. This superhuman durability can be explained in any number of ways but at it's most basic level it's still just an amazing resistance to damage. There are multiple levels of this power, therefore it can be taken as either a major or a minor power.

Effects(minor): The character gains a damage reduction stat equal to their P.E. bonus to save vs poison. This stat is increased by +1 per level, beginning at level 2. This stat reduces all incoming sources of damage by it's total, no matter what the source of damage. At 5th level they also reduce incoming damage by one die, of whatever is the lowest damage die of an incoming source, to a minimum of 1 die of damage(2D4 becomes 1D4, 3D6 becomes 2D6, and 1D10 stays the same). This damage reduction can't reduce the damage from a source below 1 damage, meaning that they will always take at least some damage.
Bonuses(minor): 1D6 to P.E.

Effects(major): The character gains a damage reduction stat equal to their P.E. attribute. This increases by +1 per level, starting at level 2. They also reduce all incoming damage by one die of damage, of whatever is the largest die type being done. This damage reduction can reduce a source of damage to a minimum of 0 damage. This damage reduction is applied to all sources of damage received.
Bonuses(major): At levels 1, 5, 10, and 15 the character gains 1D4+1 to P.E.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

MrTwist wrote:
Counterattack(minor)

This power is akin to the concept of the auto-dodge, except instead of allowing the person to dodge out
of the way of an attack without using an attack they can actually strike back at an opponent without
using up an attack. There are limits to this amazing ability however, but it can be very useful in many
circumstances.

Effects: Whenever the player is struck, they can immediately attempt to strike back at an attacker
without wasting one of their own attacks. They are limited in that they must be able to see their attacker
and also have the means of striking back. This means someone only armed with melee weapons isn't going to
be able to strike back at someone firing on them from long range, but if they had a gun or power that allowed
attacks at a distance they would be fine. Complex attacks requiring more thought than simply responding with
brute force aren't allowed either, though that's something that could be discussed with your GM.
Limits: One counterattack is allowed per melee round, per level of experience. Normal strike bonuses
do not apply to a counterattack, only P.P. bonuses are allowed to be applied. Normal damage bonuses don't apply
to the counterattack either, only P.S. bonuses to damage are allowed if applicable. If the P.S. is high enough to
provide extra dice to an attack, like in the case with Supernatural P.S., only the numerical P.S. bonus to
damage is added to the base but not the extra dice. A counterattack can only happen if the
player is struck whether or not the attack does damage, so any attack they parry or dodge is not applicable for
this power.

This looks an awful lot like 'autostrike' and is technically available in the rules in a much healhier form (but costing you some of your attacks per melee) in the form of simultanious attack. This looks more like a power that grants you 1 additional action per melee per level of experience which is MUCH too powerful since you could be looking at a character with an effective 15+8+unknown number of attacks per melee at 15th, far to many when combined with the effectiveness of other super abilities (remember there is martial arts in some books and skills in the rifter that allow multifighting to not use up so many attacks when being ganged up on in melee). And if I recall there is a martial technique or skill or (optional) rule that just lets make a strike when sucessfully parrying an attack (it may even be called: parry strike, counter attack, or counter strike) which much more effectively demonstrates a real counter attack (when you counter someone IRL you negate or diminish the attack and make a strike (or graple, bodyflip, throw, etc) of your own, which they also kight counter, leading to: counter counter counter counter counter wars when the fighters are adept(aikido, judo, etc) at counters).

This power would work much better if it allowed you an automatic strike on auto dodging or parrying an enemy attack (or even falling rubble) (remember the number of parrys per round is limited to your total number of available actions per melee, but does not consume them, unlike auto-dodge which isn't mentioned if it is unlimited uses or not(but a dodge is better/worse than a parry depending on what you are fighting), and limited somehow to like 'once per melee at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15' which is a more resonable amount of bonus attacks from an unskilled character. This would give you the counter attack fantasy without having to know advanced martial arts, and would require a fair number of sucessful rolls (vs just one, as the power you have written) to access it. At that point it would be a minor power, (aka trim the fat (every experience level is far too strong for a minor of this nature)on it and decide how it interacts with known martial skills and techniques, or if it should be gated and not allowed to be used if martial arts is possed or some such(ancient master, natural combat ability overrides it, etc).
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Niji wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
Counterattack(minor)

This power is akin to the concept of the auto-dodge, except instead of allowing the person to dodge out
of the way of an attack without using an attack they can actually strike back at an opponent without
using up an attack. There are limits to this amazing ability however, but it can be very useful in many
circumstances.

Effects: Whenever the player is struck, they can immediately attempt to strike back at an attacker
without wasting one of their own attacks. They are limited in that they must be able to see their attacker
and also have the means of striking back. This means someone only armed with melee weapons isn't going to
be able to strike back at someone firing on them from long range, but if they had a gun or power that allowed
attacks at a distance they would be fine. Complex attacks requiring more thought than simply responding with
brute force aren't allowed either, though that's something that could be discussed with your GM.
Limits: One counterattack is allowed per melee round, per level of experience. Normal strike bonuses
do not apply to a counterattack, only P.P. bonuses are allowed to be applied. Normal damage bonuses don't apply
to the counterattack either, only P.S. bonuses to damage are allowed if applicable. If the P.S. is high enough to
provide extra dice to an attack, like in the case with Supernatural P.S., only the numerical P.S. bonus to
damage is added to the base but not the extra dice. A counterattack can only happen if the
player is struck whether or not the attack does damage, so any attack they parry or dodge is not applicable for
this power.

This looks an awful lot like 'autostrike' and is technically available in the rules in a much healhier form (but costing you some of your attacks per melee) in the form of simultanious attack. This looks more like a power that grants you 1 additional action per melee per level of experience which is MUCH too powerful since you could be looking at a character with an effective 15+8+unknown number of attacks per melee at 15th, far to many when combined with the effectiveness of other super abilities (remember there is martial arts in some books and skills in the rifter that allow multifighting to not use up so many attacks when being ganged up on in melee). And if I recall there is a martial technique or skill or (optional) rule that just lets make a strike when sucessfully parrying an attack (it may even be called: parry strike, counter attack, or counter strike) which much more effectively demonstrates a real counter attack (when you counter someone IRL you negate or diminish the attack and make a strike (or graple, bodyflip, throw, etc) of your own, which they also kight counter, leading to: counter counter counter counter counter wars when the fighters are adept(aikido, judo, etc) at counters).

This power would work much better if it allowed you an automatic strike on auto dodging or parrying an enemy attack (or even falling rubble) (remember the number of parrys per round is limited to your total number of available actions per melee, but does not consume them, unlike auto-dodge which isn't mentioned if it is unlimited uses or not(but a dodge is better/worse than a parry depending on what you are fighting), and limited somehow to like 'once per melee at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15' which is a more resonable amount of bonus attacks from an unskilled character. This would give you the counter attack fantasy without having to know advanced martial arts, and would require a fair number of sucessful rolls (vs just one, as the power you have written) to access it. At that point it would be a minor power, (aka trim the fat (every experience level is far too strong for a minor of this nature)on it and decide how it interacts with known martial skills and techniques, or if it should be gated and not allowed to be used if martial arts is possed or some such(ancient master, natural combat ability overrides it, etc).

I see your point. It may have been a little ill-conceived, though I didn't see it as quite as powerful as you might. Admittedly, it has been a while since I've designed anything or even played a Palladium game. I'll delete it.
---Penn Jillette
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Can we have an index list of all the powers, by category (at least major, minor anyway) losted in this thread?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Peak Performance. Minor Power.

This unique ability bestows a +2 or +10% on any skill or action taken by the character.

Effect: The characters body and mind are more closely linked than an average person and most super humans. This allows a relatively normal person to excel at most tasks they attempt.

Burnham glared at the pudgy potbellied balding Sharpshooter.
Matching the Weapons Specialist Shot for Shot on the range.
Leaving the Skilled warrior in Awe as This Armchair Commando was actually popping Bullseyes at nearly 1500 feet just didn't make any sense.
Pfffft, the sleeveless T Shirt spit Tobacco juice on the ground and readied his lever action to take it to the hero again.

Pakooow!

"Bullseye! " the judge said loudly.
"Dammit" Burnham muttered.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

say652 wrote:Peak Performance. Minor Power.

This unique ability bestows a +2 or +10% on any skill or action taken by the character.

Effect: The characters body and mind are more closely linked than an average person and most super humans. This allows a relatively normal person to excel at most tasks they attempt.

Burnham glared at the pudgy potbellied balding Sharpshooter.
Matching the Weapons Specialist Shot for Shot on the range.
Leaving the Skilled warrior in Awe as This Armchair Commando was actually popping Bullseyes at nearly 1500 feet just didn't make any sense.
Pfffft, the sleeveless T Shirt spit Tobacco juice on the ground and readied his lever action to take it to the hero again.

Pakooow!

"Bullseye! " the judge said loudly.
"Dammit" Burnham muttered.

I like it. Simple and to the point.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

With the plethora of Major super powers and most power categories only granting one major and several minor powers.

I feel it's time to create a decent selection of useful minor powers.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Niji wrote:Can we have an index list of all the powers, by category (at least major, minor anyway) listed in this thread?
That would require way too much work. An index and listing of many of the powers are part of the Black Vault Wiki, however. http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Niji wrote:Can we have an index list of all the powers, by category (at least major, minor anyway) listed in this thread?
That would require way too much work. An index and listing of many of the powers are part of the Black Vault Wiki, however. http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Hahah i see, it is daunting just going from page to page, and no real way to search it (looking to see if anyone already created something), but this wiki helps a lot, thanks!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Niji wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Hahah i see, it is daunting just going from page to page, and no real way to search it (looking to see if anyone already created something), but this wiki helps a lot, thanks!
The powers here number in the thousands now. It is a really huge thread.
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Water Placement Teleport (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

The character can teleport from one body of water to another, or to different locations in the same body of water, as long as he is submerged underwater. He also has an energy field which provides him certain protections underwater.
Range: One mile per level; limited to self. The teleportation created a displacement of water, blasting targets on both the departure and arrival site with water for a radius of 100 feet, plus ten feet per level of experience.
Duration: Instant.
Watertight: The character's energy field keeps his clothing dry even in water, and he will not suffer any penalties from getting water in his eyes, ears and mouth. The character can also breathe air inside of the energy field, which lasts for up to the character's PE number in minutes.
Damage: Those within range of the teleport take 2d4 damage from the water blast. The character and his belongings are inside his protective energy field and take no damage.
Attacks: Teleporting uses a single attack/action
Weight Limitation: Can only take up to 100 lbs of equipment with him, plus 10 pounds per level of experience. This is primarily to allow the character to teleport with their appropriate aquatic gear, such as a swimsuit and gear for breathing underwater in case the character needs to be underwater longer than the energy field's oxygen supply.
Chance of successful teleport: 50%, plus 5% per level of experience. A failed teleport will leave the character in the same location, it simply fails to work.
Other Limitations: The character must be surrounded by water in order to teleport. The teleportation must be to an area also submerged in water. While this is a great power for an aquatic character to have, it is useless on dry land.
Stunts and Maneuvers: The character can use this to evade pursuit by diving into water and teleporting away. He can also use it to avoid being eaten by sharks and other aquatic predators.
Other Bonuses:
+1d4 PE
The character automatically has the swimming skill for free with this power

Failed teleports should have serious consequences not 'fizzle out.' Needs a 'failed result table' that must be rolled on. Alternatively if the teleport fails the power could fizzle out for an extended period of time (character loses the abilities of the power and cannot initiate the teleport again for 4D6 minutes/4d6 hours, the later if the character had plenty of time to concentrate and wasn't 'under fire' in the heat of battle, to show the consequences of trying to use it when stuck at sea, etc (and accounts for if you had made multiple attempts and blew out your power).

But the random failed result table would be more appropriate and in line with palladiums teleporting mechanics.

But it needs to use one of them, teleporting is DANGEROUS in the palladium megaverse and this must be respected. Even if the teleporting character is ported from another unrelated megaverse where teleportation powers work just fine and consequence free, they no longer work as such in palladium and fallows the palladium megaverse's 'physics on physics defying abilities/effects.'

A consequence free teleport would have VASTLY less sub powers or more strict rules for use, etc, or be a unique class feature/archetype. The consequence free version of your power, as a major power would be: Range, Sucess Rate, conditions to teleport. And thats it, no other sub powers or benefits or bonuses and 30% +5% per level (98% at level 15!, current state would have you reach 98% before level 15 which is not okay), or 50% + 3% per level(92%), or 40% +4% (96%).

In its current state it should cost more than one super power selection, be a mega power for a water elemental type character, etc.

Edit: just had the critique points. i love the flavor of the power, and the idea when teleporting a large swaft of water comes with the character, though the execution doesnt make sense since in reality the water in the teleported place (since swapping water to water) would just exchange the water in the related areas (again more consequences of use if teleporting from fresh water to sea, accidently teleporting local wildlife and destabilizing the local ecosystem of where you move to, etc). But I like the idea of diving in, port, make a big 'splash' and the nee location. Its a bit confusing if thats what you were going for.
Over all it needs some refinement and clarification (tough without getting wordy! Trying writing it up on twitter to be as concise as possible hahah), but is deliciously flavorful and high potential (for abuse by a closet/munchkin, and for great flavor).
Obviously i have a thing for water powers lol.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Niji wrote:Failed teleports should have serious consequences not 'fizzle out.' Needs a 'failed result table' that must be rolled on. Alternatively if the teleport fails the power could fizzle out for an extended period of time (character loses the abilities of the power and cannot initiate the teleport again for 4D6 minutes/4d6 hours, the later if the character had plenty of time to concentrate and wasn't 'under fire' in the heat of battle, to show the consequences of trying to use it when stuck at sea, etc (and accounts for if you had made multiple attempts and blew out your power).
I think I did it this way for variety. I don't like the idea that all teleport powers should work exactly the same way.
Niji wrote:But the random failed result table would be more appropriate and in line with palladiums teleporting mechanics.
I am not worried about everything fitting exactly with the way Palladium does things.
Niji wrote:But it needs to use one of them, teleporting is DANGEROUS in the palladium megaverse and this must be respected. Even if the teleporting character is ported from another unrelated megaverse where teleportation powers work just fine and consequence free, they no longer work as such in palladium and fallows the palladium megaverse's 'physics on physics defying abilities/effects.'
You are certainly free to run it that way in your game.
Niji wrote:A consequence free teleport would have VASTLY less sub powers or more strict rules for use, etc, or be a unique class feature/archetype. The consequence free version of your power, as a major power would be: Range, Sucess Rate, conditions to teleport. And thats it, no other sub powers or benefits or bonuses and 30% +5% per level (98% at level 15!, current state would have you reach 98% before level 15 which is not okay), or 50% + 3% per level(92%), or 40% +4% (96%).
It is already vastly limited by only being able to be used in water. With more limitations, it would become a minor ability. Also, all skills max out at 98% unless otherwise stated within Palladium's rules, so other abilities pushing it past 98% would not happen and is not an issue.
Niji wrote:In its current state it should cost more than one super power selection, be a mega power for a water elemental type character, etc.
I disagree, but as I have already stated, you are free to alter the power any way you see fit for YOUR game.
Niji wrote:Edit: just had the critique points. i love the flavor of the power, and the idea when teleporting a large swaft of water comes with the character, though the execution doesnt make sense since in reality the water in the teleported place (since swapping water to water) would just exchange the water in the related areas (again more consequences of use if teleporting from fresh water to sea, accidently teleporting local wildlife and destabilizing the local ecosystem of where you move to, etc). But I like the idea of diving in, port, make a big 'splash' and the nee location. Its a bit confusing if thats what you were going for.
Over all it needs some refinement and clarification (tough without getting wordy! Trying writing it up on twitter to be as concise as possible hahah), but is deliciously flavorful and high potential (for abuse by a closet/munchkin, and for great flavor).
Obviously i have a thing for water powers lol.
A lot of my powers have the ability to be abused, but then so do a lot of canon powers. If someone wants to find a way to be a munchkin then they will. Also I recognize and respect your concerns, but this was a power I wrote a long time ago and have since moved on. If you wish to do a revised version of the power, I don't mind as long as you credit me with writing the initial power. As for the water being filled in by other water, that is explained by his energy field which is generated by teleporting. Also, if you notice, the power does not provide any bonuses or protections while in water other than while he is teleporting.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”