learning new skills house rule

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

learning new skills house rule

Unread post by mercedogre »

As a character advances in level, they learn new (OCC related and/or secondary) skills as per RUE. But rather than picking the new skills from the skill list, characters would have to "learn" the skills from other players (PCs or NPCs). In order to 'teach' a skill, a character must have a proficiency of 70% or higher in that skill. Any skill (OCC, OCC related, or secondary) can be taught as a secondary skill, but only OCC and OCC related skills can be taught as an OCC related skill to another. Any skills that do not have a percentage level (weapons and some physical) can be taught with the same guidelines. Characters "learn" the new skills at base level, plus IQ or OCC bonuses. Upon Gm discretion, the restrictions on available skills can be eliminated.

I believe this rule encourages player interaction, character diversification, and hopefully a bit more realism in the game. Easier skills (pilot auto, pilot hover, native languages) would spread through the characters faster than difficult skills (ventriloquism, field surgery etc). Higher level characters or NPCs would become more akin to 'mentors' to lower level characters.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: learning new skills house rule

Unread post by Glistam »

I just enforce RP reasons for why a character gains a certain skill. Are they actively trying to learn it? Is someone teaching it to them? I don't require them to do a lot of work, but at least to justify learning the skill in some way.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”