Leveling Up

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Leveling Up

Unread post by Bill »

How many sessions does it typically take for a player character in your game to earn their next level of experience?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Leveling Up

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Depends largely on class and current level. Had a gunslinger who was outleveled by a merc twice...but the merc has an easier table and contributes more than just a pair of pistols to the group.

But as a hard number, it hasn't taken less than 5 sessions since level 3.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Bill wrote:How many sessions does it typically take for a player character in your game to earn their next level of experience?

When I ran regularly, I did things old-school, using the XP tables as-is, and went with Kev's words as my model:
RMB 16
In my original Palladium Role-Playing Game play-test campaign, after two years of regular, weekly, long (averaged 9 hours) playing sessions; the characters averaged 7th to 9th level and progressing, ever so slowly, towards tenth level.

If I were to start a new campaign today, I'd probably be more liberal with the XP.
Really, I'd probably get together with the players, and see how fast they wanted to level up, and how much they wanted their performance to factor into things.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As it goes I would make sure to get chars from level 1 to level 2 within the 1st four session....to hook the players.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i'd say generally pretty slow to level but i take in character backstory as well to start a level , an 18 yr old green recruit will start at level 1, but someone wanting to play someone in their mid 50's is going to be more established (but will have a modified starting list for equipment, maybe enemies etc)

but for actually leveling it's kind of up to the player how active they are, if they sit back and let everyone else do everything they are not going to level nearly as fast
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

I made it to just short of second level during the first session once. Epic battle.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

This question comes up a lot.

My group gets approx 800xp per night (4 hr session). Thats an average; some nights they might wander a town and shop, other nights they might be waist deep in action a deduction.

In my own critique I think I may be a tad stingy. I think about 1000xp works well (but theyve still gotta earn each point).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Over the last two years, about 24 game nights, 4-6 hours long:

Mind Melter and Juicer are now level 5

Everyone else keeps changing characters and are anywhere from level two to four...
Dan Frederick
Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Never attempt to reason with people who know they are right-Dune

Unread post by Leo H »

It depends on a number of factors how fast they level up. Chiefly among those factors are what people are playing, whether there is any combat or not and how much they get done towards resolution of the quest or mission. Truth is Rifts is all about the combat (by the book exps). My last group was led by thinkers not combat junkies. I had to make allowances for creative solutions instead of combat. The standard book exps weren't gonna work so it ended up being between four to six sessions for leveling.
All knowledge comes at a price. Be sure it's a price you're willing to pay.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

On average?
Roughly 8 adventures.
It starts quickly but slows down as levels get higher.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

My players typically earn anywhere from 1,500 to 3,000 xp per game. They can also earn xp in between games for writing up character logs and other stuff.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Leo H »

Glistam wrote:My players typically earn anywhere from 1,500 to 3,000 xp per game. They can also earn xp in between games for writing up character logs and other stuff.

It must be nice to have players that motivated. My last group was like herding angry cats. They just didn't have time to do that stuff. Even the ones who should have had the time couldn't be bothered.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Leo H wrote:
Glistam wrote:My players typically earn anywhere from 1,500 to 3,000 xp per game. They can also earn xp in between games for writing up character logs and other stuff.

It must be nice to have players that motivated. My last group was like herding angry cats. They just didn't have time to do that stuff. Even the ones who should have had the time couldn't be bothered.

Some are more motivated than others.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I can barely get my guys to remember to level their characters when they do actually ding.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Leo H »

Alrik Vas wrote:I can barely get my guys to remember to level their characters when they do actually ding.

While I'm sorry to hear that; I'm glad I'm not the only GM who has that problem. I had a player that refused to check his email or update his character so he spent most of game being two levels lower than the other characters.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Leo H wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I can barely get my guys to remember to level their characters when they do actually ding.

While I'm sorry to hear that; I'm glad I'm not the only GM who has that problem. I had a player that refused to check his email or update his character so he spent most of game being two levels lower than the other characters.

We're always levelling up the players characters sheets cos they cut be arsed.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Leo H »

The Dark Elf wrote:
Leo H wrote:

I'm sorry, what? You don't like the character sheets? If that's the case, welcome to the club. The sheets are complicated but if you keep looking you may find a style you like.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Don't think he's talking about the sheets themselves...

Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Leo H »

Alrik Vas wrote:Don't think he's talking about the sheets themselves...

Okay, then perhaps he's unhappy with his players. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :-)
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

We typically received somewhere between 1k and 1.5k XP in a session. However, we burned through characters pretty fast, so it was pretty rare for any character to last long enough to hit level 6 or 7.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Yeah, we had a TPK -1 between our last two games. urban warfare, a bit of investigation and intrigue, partying it up, demon hunting, closing an apocalyptic level rift, building a smart and skilled little merc unit...my boys were good.

but level 8 did just about all of them in, lol.

PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Leo H wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
Leo H wrote:

I'm sorry, what? You don't like the character sheets? If that's the case, welcome to the club. The sheets are complicated but if you keep looking you may find a style you like.

cos they cut be arsed = because they can't be bothered to
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

On average, it takes 3 sessions to get to 2nd level depending on O.C.C./R.C.C. and of course the players. The rest will come with an average factor 2x of reaching 2nd level. So 2nd to 3rd level will take 6 sessions, 4th level around 8 sessions and so on.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Alrik Vas
Knight

So 8 more or they level every two sessions?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Alrik Vas wrote:So 8 more or they level every two sessions?

Leveling every two session is more like rate that would be more like what DND would be.(with it's flat exp. rate pre-level). With PB, with it's Progressive exp. tabled it takes longer and longer with each level to level up to the next level.

Even then after the initial bump I would give new chars, after the initial leveling from 1 to 2 I would start just handing out exp. at a normal level, for what the chars did during the game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Glad to hear, I'm not the only one. Years ago they were on it. Now they're all into resolving plots going after their goals and building character, and personaities n' stuff. Which is great, but still, LEVEL YER DARN CHARACTERS WHEN YOU MAKE A LEVEL! My players leveled 2 months ago, and I'm still texting them to level up. :bandit:

You can easily get to second level in an adventure or two. Heck, if you got some 'EP prostitute' players, they can scrounge EPs up before you get them out of the rowdy bar the Palladium Fantasy campaign usually starts in, they'll just use some "Good Judgment and Deductive Reasoning" to "Avoid unnecessary violence," and get out of the bar without a fight. Bam, already on the road to level 2, and just getting started. lol

When I first started GMing mid to late 90s, I was strictly by the book, I'm a lot more free flow now, and think I have a good feel for when leveling is right (whether I really do or not, everyone seems happy, and I'm okay with that). I read the leveling system in the Savage Worlds recently and that seems interesting...
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Levels mean less in PB games than D&D so the need to quickly level up isn't there as much at the low levels. The power difference between a 1st and 4th level PC in Rifts isn't so startling as it can be in D&D.

I rank races and classes and give XP based on a sliding point scale. AKA, if your race and class are hugely front loaded, you gain less XP, thus level up slower. The players know this in advance so if they want to level up quickly, they pick a "low point" race/class combo. Want psi? Want magic? Want to be a MDC beastie? Great, you level slower than the human with skills and a popgun.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Spinachcat wrote:Levels mean less in PB games than D&D so the need to quickly level up isn't there as much at the low levels. The power difference between a 1st and 4th level PC in Rifts isn't so startling as it can be in D&D.

I rank races and classes and give XP based on a sliding point scale. AKA, if your race and class are hugely front loaded, you gain less XP, thus level up slower. The players know this in advance so if they want to level up quickly, they pick a "low point" race/class combo. Want psi? Want magic? Want to be a MDC beastie? Great, you level slower than the human with skills and a popgun.
except the system already factored that in...
that is why there are so many different exp charts.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I find the deviations in XP to be so minor in general that in order to create some semblance of balance (aka, justification for players to pick sub-optimal races and classes). Thus, I incorporate another level of modification so the player with the Human Rogue Scholar feels useful in the party with the Dragon Juicer because he levels notably faster and thus deepens skills much faster.

But since my campaigns usually cap out between 4th and 6th level, its not much of an issue for me.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”