crafted skills

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

crafted skills

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i didn't find a list of home brew skills which was surprising though i'd like to see what other people have come up with

i always mark mine so i can remember which are home brewed skills, though since i have made some new books came out with skills of the same name or similar so there is a bit of difference/overlap on some (and some are still pretty rough)

some were to help boost the non physical stats like the physical skills often do for the physical ones

Domestic
Chess: 30%+5% per level
teaches the basic rules of chess such as how the pieces move (including tricks like castling) etc
(if selected twice the skill grants a +10% bonus, advanced strategy's and a +1 IQ)

Espionage
Assassination study:
desensitization to the pain of others, there is no desire to hurt a person just a lack of empathy which can be unsettling to people
+ME 1d4+1 , interrogation +10%, intimidate (but not trust) +10% or a base 20%, WP Concealed
requires hand-to-hand assassin

Military
War Games: simulated warfare either internally with a town or city's own milita/army or often as a practice event with other friendly cities/towns (or even merc companies) exposes people to the rigors of war in a controlled setting
+1 ME, +1 MA, +1 PE

Physical
Kama Sutra: this.. skill, can be learned from multiple sources, either an actual kama sutra, but often picked up from extensive viewing of pre-rift DVD's or magazines , or just experience, can seem suave and sure of themselves as a result
+1 MA, + 1 PP, +1 PE and a 55%+5% per level chance to please

Hand-to-hand: Brawler ( a system with little finesse and a lot of grappling/bone breaking)

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation (focused on high strike bonuses, little damage, and pressure point striking)

Hand-to-hand: Gun Kata (...yes, i went there, but the name was just a place holder)

Rogue
Kama Sutra (same as physical skill)

Science
Extensive research: a willingness to devote extra time to study and refine their skills
+1 IQ, +10% to any skill Requires literacy

Field Research: use and observation in a practical setting provide a +10% bonus to any skill, +1 to any attribute (except PB)
can not be selected until at least level 2

Metallurgy: at the basic level the skill allows someone to run and operate a foundry, create/identify alloy's, and shape metal 36%+4% per level +can handle greater temperatures up to 40 degrees C without feeling uncomfortable
requires Chemistry, and basic math
-----------at more advanced levels they can create MD alloys, reduce the thickness and weight of MD slabs by up to 20% with no reduction in MDC, can smelt "full size" MDC slabs using cheap SDC materials for 25% with no ill effect
requires chemistry analytical, literacy

Geology: the study of rocks, minerals, and land formations
identify rocks/gems 40%+5% per level
locate specific minerals and gems by studying the topography 35%+ 3% per level
gives + 10% land navigation +5% mining (before official mining skill)
requires literacy

Technical
Farming: basic knowledge of seasons, what crops to plant and when so they will be ready by harvest time, understanding of the benefits to crop rotation, acreage of land needed per person, irrigation and pest control (grants the skill to use pesticides but to make them requires chemistry)
35%+5% per level +10% preserve food, + 5% skin and prepare animal hides

Under sea Farming: basic understanding of which plant and animal life is edible, spawning seasons, how to identify and treat certain parasites (of fish/marine animals only) this skill focuses more on maintaining the eco system as intact as possible since any inhabitants of an under sea biosphere ar limited in other options +40%+5% per level +10% preserve food +5% pilot submersible vehicle

Basic Study/ General Knowledge: someone who learns a little of everything without specializing in one subject
+1 IQ, +1 ME, +1% to all skills

Field research (same as science skill)

Mining: general mining knowledge, mine safety both archaic and modern (bringing a canary into the mine, but also seismology readers etc) how to pace ones self while swinging a heavy pick axe, how to look for signs of a collapse, and how to follow an ore vein/identify more precious materials in raw form 46%+4% per level +1d4 PS, +1d4 PE, -1d6 HP (yes negative for the health conditions)

Gem Cutting: the skill required to size, cut, buff, polish, facet, and set gems into jewelry, a good clear cut can increase the gem value by 2d4 x 100 credits, a failure means a chip or bad cut, to fix it requires recutting reducing the size and value of the gem by 5% the skill is also used to make fine jewelry like rings, necklaces etc, out of precious metals
base skill 20%+4% per level +1 ME, +1 PP

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races

Lore: Modern History (golden age) can identify pre-rift items and the basic understanding of their function (they may not know how to operate it but will have an idea of what it was used for) as well as general knowledge of what life was like and what people did (a golden age buff can often find themselves on retainer to regal important people with stories of the golden age, or to authenticate artifacts, or to try locating golden age stockpiles)
base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP
WP: Concealed, training and use in a variety of concealed weapons (IE weapons that do not seem to be weapons), umbrella guns, razor sharp video disc's, rings with poison tipped needles etc that focus more on stealth than attacking outright

without this skill concealed weapons are at a -3 to strike due to their odd nature, lack of gun sights, sometimes poor balance
etc with the WP the negative is removed and gets the following bonus
+5% prowl +1 initiative if the first attack is with a concealed weapon (even in face to face combat it is not expected)
+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
can use parry, dodge, or strike bonus (whichever is higher) to roll a strike at lv 8
+2 entangle (can attack as a free action once per melee, if a prowl check is made the attack goes un-noticed) lv 10
+1 strike, +1 parry at lv 12
+1 parry reduce prowl penalties if any by 10%
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: crafted skills

Unread post by eliakon »

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

Parkour (combination of acrobatics and running)
+2 Roll, +1 P.P. +2D4 Spd
50% + 5% per level — Sense of balance
60% + 5% per level — Back flip
25% Base climb ability or +7% to climb skill
A training discipline using movements developed from obstacle courses including running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, and quadrupedal movement using only the human body and the surroundings for propulsion, with a focus on maintaining as much momentum as possible while still remaining safe. Popular with City Rats, Juicers, and Crazies.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

mercedogre wrote:Parkour (combination of acrobatics and running)
A training discipline using movements developed from obstacle courses including running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, and quadrupedal movement using only the human body and the surroundings for propulsion, with a focus on maintaining as much momentum as possible while still remaining safe. Popular with City Rats, Juicers, and Crazies.

what does this skill provide that acrobatics/gymnastics does not?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

A chance to take another skill for more PP?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

well there is the speed bonus here, and the basic idea of the skill itself, i could see this thematically working much better for most situations (someone use to running through cities and ducking cops might be a little more at home doing the same jump from one roof to the other than someone who practiced with mats in a gym lol) and it's actually less of a stat boost than either (of course they could stack, but i could see picking this, over one of the others depending on the character

(also i didn't think to even look at HU for the thread (though i did tye a few key words in the search bar) i figured it'd be here, the rifter section for it being fan made stuff, or rifts section since it has the most posts so any non specific topic post would have had a better chance of having been posted there, but thanks for bringing to my attention :)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol

Return to “G.M.s Forum”