Momano Headhunter vs. The RUE

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Momano Headhunter vs. The RUE

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Forgive me if this has come up before, but I was unable to find such a thread.

In Rifts Canada we have the Momano Headhunter. Ability #3 Momano Psionics (Rifts Canada page 124) there are quite a number of penalties to having psionics, which are in line with what was at the time standard penalties for bionics and psionics (or at least such is my understanding).
However with the RUE those standard penalties seem to have been relaxed in regards to psionics, with the only penalty for undergoing extensive partial conversion being halved ISP. All powers are retained, and the potency and effectiveness of these powers are not reduced.

So, when it comes to the Momano Psionics, would you retain the current level of extensive penalties, or update them to reflect the RUE's take on Headhunters with Psionics, and why (or why not)?
I dont have a pending issue in a game related to this, just some late night insomniac readings and musings.

(for reference in the RUE it is page 76, ability #8 Headhunters, Psionics & Magic, which is part of the Headhunter OCC section).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Crow Splat
Explorer

Re: Momano Headhunter vs. The RUE

Unread post by Crow Splat »

I would go with the newer RUE rules. My reasoning being that in my games, I like for my players to feel empowered by their class, not handicapped. IMO, the momano rules only serve to handicap the character and attempt to bring balance in a game that I have always liked for how unbalanced it is
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

I would go with the RUE rules if all the other chars are made with those, to keep it fair. If the other chars are RMB then the WB:Canada rules would apply so there is no advantage.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

13eowulf wrote:However with the RUE those standard penalties seem to have been relaxed in regards to psionics, with the only penalty for undergoing extensive partial conversion being halved ISP. All powers are retained, and the potency and effectiveness of these powers are not reduced.

That was the old rule as well, per p. 48 of the RMB. The penalties given in the Momano Headhunter description seem to be particular to the Momano Headhunter, or more specifically, to Momano Headhunter Mind Melters.

Edit: Okay, looking in a few other places, I do see other penalties listed in the Bionics Sourcebook et al. It appears to me that RUE restored the old rules, in which case it could be interpreted as superseding Rifts Canada, except for the part about requiring 30% more I.S.P. to power TW bionics, which is clearly a specific penalty of the Mind Melter Momano.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “G.M.s Forum”