OK, Just How Many.....

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

OK, Just How Many.....

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

How many Spliceheads are out there? It seems like very few.

Lately, I've been going through all of the Splicer posts. Essentially, nothing has changed. We've been wanting sourcebooks and left waiting. We've had some entries in the Rifter (THANK YOU GUYS!), but that's it. There are manuscripts turned in, but there's been talk of a manuscript by Carmen for a sourcebook that's been in for OVER 10 YEARS! Are we so few that we can't get books to the printer?

Does Splicers need a reboot? It is pretty much a unique setting and different from anything else. Dead Reign? That's just jumping on the Zombie Bandwagon. Lots of other zombie games out there, nothing new. However, they get sourcebooks and are doing well! Rifts was something new and different and it has been successful! Rifts also had sourcebooks! They fueled each other. So, does Splicers need a reboot? A 2nd edition or revised (like Vamp Kingdoms) with a different layout of artwork more representative of Host Armor and the horrors that face humankind? Release it with or shortly before the sourcebooks that are already there. The books should help fuel each others sales.

We keep talking about getting love for Splicers (been going back 10 years on these boards) and we're not really getting it. If we are so few as to be nearly extinct, take the rough manuscripts and put them up as PDF's. That would at least make them some more money, might even jumpstart some life into Splicers.

Or are we just dead and don't know it (or refuse to believe it)? Please, thoughts and comments? How many of us are there?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
DrStrange
D-Bee

Re: OK, Just How Many.....

Unread post by DrStrange »

RiftJunkie wrote:How many Spliceheads are out there? It seems like very few.

Lately, I've been going through all of the Splicer posts. Essentially, nothing has changed. We've been wanting sourcebooks and left waiting. We've had some entries in the Rifter (THANK YOU GUYS!), but that's it. There are manuscripts turned in, but there's been talk of a manuscript by Carmen for a sourcebook that's been in for OVER 10 YEARS! Are we so few that we can't get books to the printer?

Does Splicers need a reboot? It is pretty much a unique setting and different from anything else. Dead Reign? That's just jumping on the Zombie Bandwagon. Lots of other zombie games out there, nothing new. However, they get sourcebooks and are doing well! Rifts was something new and different and it has been successful! Rifts also had sourcebooks! They fueled each other. So, does Splicers need a reboot? A 2nd edition or revised (like Vamp Kingdoms) with a different layout of artwork more representative of Host Armor and the horrors that face humankind? Release it with or shortly before the sourcebooks that are already there. The books should help fuel each others sales.

We keep talking about getting love for Splicers (been going back 10 years on these boards) and we're not really getting it. If we are so few as to be nearly extinct, take the rough manuscripts and put them up as PDF's. That would at least make them some more money, might even jumpstart some life into Splicers.

Or are we just dead and don't know it (or refuse to believe it)? Please, thoughts and comments? How many of us are there?

To be honest, about a year ago you could not have considered me a "Splicehead", however after having recently obtained several copies of The Rifter, containing a lot of splicer subject matter, I would say that my love for it has definitively grown. My original hesitance can easily be stemmed from the smaller thumbnail of the Splicers cover art. (That's right, I mistakenly judged a palladium book by it's cover, to my shame).
I admit, this setting is amazingly unique, and has little competition in this regard, but when I read the description on RPG.net, I assumed it was just another terminator ripoff, or generic Machine-takes-over-the-earth setting. I am happy to admit that suggestion is very-much NOT the case.

If you're fishing for my opinion of a re-work of the sourcebook, then yes I agree that it should be done. However, from a marketing standpoint, I think that it merely needs more exposure to the Tabletop RPG community, and a stand alone event that puts it into the public eye. If it is not something especially loved by potential buyers, then it makes sense to release a second version. If on the other hand, buyers appear and speak highly of the product, then by all means, the motivation to make supplemental material will be in higher demand!

Unfortunately with Robotech being the main time-consumer for the people at Palladium Books, it may be up to the hardcore fans to become promoters for Splicers if we ever want to see anything happen.

aka: i'm suggesting that we, (as fans of the IP) do something to save it before it falls even further into obscurity.
"Let me... pick your brain for a moment... this won't hurt a bit!"
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

I have been a Splicehead since its release. Its my favorite PB game

Yes, the line doesnt have any Sourcebooks yet ... and even though it has been a long time since its release ... the world of Splicers still captivates me

All the Rifter material is top notch ... and regardless if the material is Official or Optional, to me all material is optional, as it is my game and i can pick and choose what i want in it. so whenever any Splicers material was published, it was great because it enriched the world as a whole and complimented the all the home-brew material i had created for my game.

This is a great game, and I have met a lot of great people from this forum... it is very supportive ... and so imaginative
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Love the game love the written material love the forum posts. Hope we get some new stuff soon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i don't think there's a ton of us, but i do think the fan base is consistently growing. just not as fast as we might wish.

as to a 2nd edition, i don't think the core book needs enough rewriting to describe the result as a new edition. i know the cover art is a problem for a lot of people (to be fair, i was drawn in by rifter 30, not the cover art, so that was never really an issue for me... i just saw stuff in the rifter and was like "wow, this sounds really interesting, i need to get the core book so i can see what's up").

i do think that the main thing the setting needs is more exposure. and i'd really hate to see a huge amount of time go into redoing the core book instead of new material. if a revised core book is released, i'd hope for it to be just a few tweaks, personally.

it would also be nice if some of those tweaks were released for free on the website to double as a preview for the game and lure people in, but that would depend a lot on just what the new material is (and how much... if it's like 2 pages and new cover art, that's a lot less to give away for free than if there's 50 pages of new material) :P
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I'm a Splicehead :D

So far, i have every Rifter that has Splicer material
The Dragon Has Spoken
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

DrStrange wrote:
To be honest, about a year ago you could not have considered me a "Splicehead", however after having recently obtained several copies of The Rifter, containing a lot of splicer subject matter, I would say that my love for it has definitively grown. My original hesitance can easily be stemmed from the smaller thumbnail of the Splicers cover art. (That's right, I mistakenly judged a palladium book by it's cover, to my shame).
I admit, this setting is amazingly unique, and has little competition in this regard, but when I read the description on RPG.net, I assumed it was just another terminator ripoff, or generic Machine-takes-over-the-earth setting. I am happy to admit that suggestion is very-much NOT the case.

If you're fishing for my opinion of a re-work of the sourcebook, then yes I agree that it should be done. However, from a marketing standpoint, I think that it merely needs more exposure to the Tabletop RPG community, and a stand alone event that puts it into the public eye. If it is not something especially loved by potential buyers, then it makes sense to release a second version. If on the other hand, buyers appear and speak highly of the product, then by all means, the motivation to make supplemental material will be in higher demand!

Unfortunately with Robotech being the main time-consumer for the people at Palladium Books, it may be up to the hardcore fans to become promoters for Splicers if we ever want to see anything happen.

aka: i'm suggesting that we, (as fans of the IP) do something to save it before it falls even further into obscurity.

That's what happened to me too! The cover turned me off. It's good artwork, but it didn't draw me in. (pun not initially intended) Thankfully, I got it in a X-Mas Grab Bag. (Thanks KS) Otherwise, I may have never picked it up.

When I say re-boot/2nd Ed/revised/whatever, I'm talking about a boost to the layout. I've seen reviews on other boards that complain about artwork being used in multiple places in the book, order in the book with HA creation listed before we even really know what a Dreadguard is, and artwork that doesn't get the feel of the book. So, it would really be a "rearrange" of sorts with some new artwork added to the mix. Please don't think that I'm an art critic: I have trouble making stick figures look like stick figures! I just believe it could have been put together better. A Re-Release with this "boost" along with a sourcebook or two, would reignite Splicers and generate more sales. Now some of the problem is with marketing. NONE of the comic/game shops in my area carry Palladium Books! The one little way out of the way shop has in the past had a few second hand books, but wanted new price. They sat there a long while. At least in my area, there is no face time with anything PB unless you know to look them up online.

It seems that anyone who has gotten past the cover and disorganization (PB fans are kind of immune to this by now) has gone on to love it as a setting and game! All I'd like is remove the detractors and up the marketing so we can corrupt a lot more to the Splice-Side!!!! That would get us all more gamers and more Splice!
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

krispy wrote:I have been a Splicehead since its release. Its my favorite PB game

Yes, the line doesnt have any Sourcebooks yet ... and even though it has been a long time since its release ... the world of Splicers still captivates me

All the Rifter material is top notch ... and regardless if the material is Official or Optional, to me all material is optional, as it is my game and i can pick and choose what i want in it. so whenever any Splicers material was published, it was great because it enriched the world as a whole and complimented the all the home-brew material i had created for my game.

This is a great game, and I have met a lot of great people from this forum... it is very supportive ... and so imaginative

I'd prefer sourcebooks, but I've gotten all of the Rifters with Splice except the last one. That I'll get soon. Love your stuff by the way! Thanks!!!!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The big problem that hindered splicers initial up take is it did not visually tell what it was about very easily and until you opened it up and started reading you did not realize how neat it was. The rifters I have shown people have opened a lot of eyes and then they usually say something so that is what that splices game is about?

Even if it only gets a new cover prior to the new source book launch at very minimum they are going to need or want to do a rerelease of the main book to fire interest for the source books to take off.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I am a sad Splicehead :(

My favorite PB games are Splicers and Mechanoids, but getting players for Splicers has proved impossible which is beyond a shame.

I agree there needs to be a 2nd edition, but it needs a full system and setting overhaul with a marketing budget to bring in a new audience. Not a new system or a new setting, but total overhaul into something lean, mean and exciting for 21st century RPGers.
Since PB hasn't had the interest and/or the funds to produce even PDF supplements for Splicers, I can't see that happening, even though I personally find Splicers to have a fascinating potential setting to explore.

I've played in a few Splicers games run by other GMs and the players had a hard time grasping the overly complicated character sheets and then the combat took beyond freaking forever. I run a very stripped down game (all MDC is cut by half, skill lists are chopped in half) so I can keep the story pace / combat danger moving.

If there is every a Splicer sourcebook, I will get it to read, but I wonder if it will ever see use at the game table.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Spinachcat wrote:I am a sad Splicehead :(

My favorite PB games are Splicers and Mechanoids, but getting players for Splicers has proved impossible which is beyond a shame.

I agree there needs to be a 2nd edition, but it needs a full system and setting overhaul with a marketing budget to bring in a new audience. Not a new system or a new setting, but total overhaul into something lean, mean and exciting for 21st century RPGers.
Since PB hasn't had the interest and/or the funds to produce even PDF supplements for Splicers, I can't see that happening, even though I personally find Splicers to have a fascinating potential setting to explore.

I've played in a few Splicers games run by other GMs and the players had a hard time grasping the overly complicated character sheets and then the combat took beyond freaking forever. I run a very stripped down game (all MDC is cut by half, skill lists are chopped in half) so I can keep the story pace / combat danger moving.

If there is every a Splicer sourcebook, I will get it to read, but I wonder if it will ever see use at the game table.

Glad to hear you like splicers. Crippling the players seems like a bad idea. Don't like the system change it to a more generic one, having fun is the key.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Let the Splice flow. They who control the Splice, control the (game) universe! LONG LIVE THE SPLICEHEADS!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Long live the splicers of Muad'Dib!
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Ok, so this post has been up for a week and we only have NINE Spliceheads! I realize that there are some Spliceheads that are avoiding this post because it is politically incorrect. I have no intent to bash PB, only to generate constructive criticism and enough support to get someone at PB to take notice and implement a resurgence in Splicers. I know there are better minds out there than mine, please help in bringing Splicers "back from the dead".

Splicers is as ground breaking as Rifts, so it should be as successful too! Why isn't it, and what can be done.

On the other hand, are we too few and Splicers should just die off?
Shark_Force
Palladin

we don't have the sales information, but the PB staff do. i imagine that if splicers was doing really badly, they wouldn't be trying to publish a bunch of books for the setting.

also, while i don't know for sure this is the case, up until very recently PB has only made e-books of things that were basically out of print (well, they haven't actually changed it yet... but they've announced their intention to. who knows when it will actually happen, of course).

since splicers is available in pdf format (legally; i'm sure most of the PB releases are available in pdf if you know where to look, illegally), that would imply that the first printing sold out at some point, unless kevin for some reason decided on a different policy, and that kevin decided to do a second print run (because it is currently in print).
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I love the material, but do not play the game. If I ever get a group together, I may reboot Wormwood by injecting Splicer material.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

RiftJunkie wrote:
krispy wrote:I have been a Splicehead since its release. Its my favorite PB game

I'd prefer sourcebooks, but I've gotten all of the Rifters with Splice except the last one. That I'll get soon. Love your stuff by the way! Thanks!!!!

Thanks Mate :)
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I am also a Splicehead, so that's gotta count for something.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

You may not be counting the 'secret' Spliceheads that play other PB games & skim through these threads for fun.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

flatline wrote:If I ever get a group together, I may reboot Wormwood by injecting Splicer material.

Wormwood / Splicers crossover would be good stuff.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

When a game doesn't receive official support beyond some Rifter articles for over a decade there will be a limited fan base. The biggest challenge with Splicers is that no one knows what it is, including many existing Palladium fans that would be some of the easiest to convert. I have been a Splice Head since 2010 even though the game has been in print since Oct 2004. I just hadn't bothered to look at it till then. Has there ever been a second printing of the Splicers main book?
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Wooly wrote:Has there ever been a second printing of the Splicers main book?

To my knowledge, no. A relaunch and revamp of the main book has been the topic of discussion on a quite a few threads across the board. A lot of Spliceheads, myself included, feel the cover art most definitely needs a redo, among some other tweaks and changes. This is no means a slam or insult against the artist however, the cover in no way conveys the true atmosphere/setting of the book.

I am a HUGE Splicehead and I overlooked the game for a number of years simply because of the cover. It made the game look like some kitschy, 1950's b-movie sci-fi universe. Which could be awesome on its own, "Palladium Pulp" or similar. :lol:

But for Splicers, a game that straddles sci-fi, post-apocalypse, and even a bit of horror, it's all wrong. Contrast that cover with the covers of books for another criminally overlooked game I'm a fan of:

http://www.cthulhutech.com/media/art/an ... _cover.jpg

http://orig08.deviantart.net/16c6/f/201 ... 3cwx6j.jpg

I love the Splicers community. The imagination here is jaw dropping and the home brew stuff on this forum is some of the best fan work I've seen for any game, period.

Why this game never got the love from PB, the world may never know.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I would agree this is no slam at all vs the existing cover art it is well done and looks nice but it has more of a buck rodgers 50's scifi feel to it which is fine but it does not convey what splicers is really about at all.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Here is my non artistic attempts at a new Splicers logo. Please feel free to modify or improve it as you see fit. *cough* CHUCK *cough*

http://imgur.com/PuvNSLQ
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Shark_Force
Palladin

chuck probably already has a replacement for the entire cover ready - iirc he was in favor of limited revisions to the core book himself :P
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

RiftJunkie wrote:Ok, so this post has been up for a week and we only have NINE Spliceheads! I realize that there are some Spliceheads that are avoiding this post because it is politically incorrect. I have no intent to bash PB, only to generate constructive criticism and enough support to get someone at PB to take notice and implement a resurgence in Splicers. I know there are better minds out there than mine, please help in bringing Splicers "back from the dead".

Splicers is as ground breaking as Rifts, so it should be as successful too! Why isn't it, and what can be done.

On the other hand, are we too few and Splicers should just die off?

Die off? NO!

Count me in!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Now we have a few more to the mix. Still not sure we have enough for Splicers to thrive. I read this in the last promo e-mail sent by PB:

"Closing thoughts

We are working to get new products into your hands – Rifts®, Robotech®, Chaos Earth®, Splicers® ,Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Wave 2, etc. In fact, Alex, Wayne and I are working through the weekend. Yes, even on Father’s Day. Keep the faith. Good stuff is coming.

– Kevin Siembieda, Publisher, Writer and Game Designer" (font change by me)

This gets me excited! I can't hold my breath on this due to PB's track record and stuff has been "announced" many times before with no results. But I am excited about this. Let's get all the Spliceheads to sound off and maybe this won't get pushed to the backburner or shelved.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If they ever publish more Splicers books, I'll buy them.

How many books do they need to sell to break even?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

flatline wrote:If they ever publish more Splicers books, I'll buy them.

How many books do they need to sell to break even?

--flatline

Wish I knew. Then we could figure out if there are enough of us out there to support Splicers and/or work on a business/marketing plan to get enough of us out there.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Oh my. Big splicehead here. Just see my sig pics that I created myself ;)

If Splicers get a new Edition, it needs to made into Rifts Dimension Book offically.
Maybe part of the Phase World setting for basic occs to uss.

Setting wise a few things need to be changed to work better.
#1 Nano plague needs more limiations if brought off world and detailed.
#2 more Occs that do not use Host Armors at all.
#3 Roughnecks dont need Host Armors. The living body armors are better for them. The Proto Host Armor should be a reward at lvl 5 or higher and optional... No true Host Armors though.
#4 Biotics metabolism needs better handling. Biotics split into Slave mindwiped camp & Volunteer lamp.
#5 The Machine ... better art is needed sorry. Make the Machine more of a boogieman which is actually rarely encountered in force.
#6 More on the House vs House conflicts among the Splicers.
#7 Non Resistance Occs are needed. Humans who do not use splicer technology.
#8 Hint at Splicers in Space. Where Splicers have no fear of the Machine... To give the setting Hope.

If made part of Rifts or Phase World, the sales would increase.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Shark_Force wrote:chuck probably already has a replacement for the entire cover ready - iirc he was in favor of limited revisions to the core book himself :P

I have several irons in the furnace for Splicers that I hope will help boost the overall interest and push this spectacular & unique gameline into overdrive.

I agree with everyone's sentiments regarding a Splicers cover revision for the RPG. Mark Evans is an Awesome Artist (Ex. Rifts: 29 Madhaven cover is simply Boss). However, I can easily remember when we were all assigned the Splicers material. At the time I was with Drunken Style Studios; and nothing was really designed in concrete for everyone else to go off of. We had a VERY short deadline to get everything done. So, it is understandable for me to see how the cover aesthetic and designs don't resemble much of the interior artwork. Working with Drunken Style studios we were able to tackle the interior as a team, devising up the studio into sides. One side took on the Machines, the other tackling the Biotech.

That was 2004, and plenty has evolved since then and things are far more defined for me with Splicers now. I have revised ton of the art for the core OCCs, machines and such.

I do however, sincerely believe, that Splicers should remain a self contained RPG, with optional conversions. This preserves the setting, the power levels necessary to survive in the harsh setting and the wit that the game invokes, because you don't have special magic powers to compensate for things.

If forced into a Rifts dimension scenario, I can confidently anticipate that much of Splicers would inevitably be toned down (nerfed) in order to be more compatible and balanced with the rest of RIFTS. This works going into RIFTS, but not so good for the core game of Splicers.

I whole heartedly agree with less new OCCs with Host Armors. There are a slew of new, innovative concepts that we can tap into.

Certainly have more brewing for Blood feuds, Non-Splicers biotech & societies, and setting expansion.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Premier wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:chuck probably already has a replacement for the entire cover ready - iirc he was in favor of limited revisions to the core book himself :P

I have several irons in the furnace for Splicers that I hope will help boost the overall interest and push this spectacular & unique gameline into overdrive.

I agree with everyone's sentiments regarding a Splicers cover revision for the RPG. Mark Evans is an Awesome Artist (Ex. Rifts: 29 Madhaven cover is simply Boss). However, I can easily remember when we were all assigned the Splicers material. At the time I was with Drunken Style Studios; and nothing was really designed in concrete for everyone else to go off of. We had a VERY short deadline to get everything done. So, it is understandable for me to see how the cover aesthetic and designs don't resemble much of the interior artwork. Working with Drunken Style studios we were able to tackle the interior as a team, devising up the studio into sides. One side took on the Machines, the other tackling the Biotech.

That was 2004, and plenty has evolved since then and things are far more defined for me with Splicers now. I have revised ton of the art for the core OCCs, machines and such.

I do however, sincerely believe, that Splicers should remain a self contained RPG, with optional conversions. This preserves the setting, the power levels necessary to survive in the harsh setting and the wit that the game invokes, because you don't have special magic powers to compensate for things.

If forced into a Rifts dimension scenario, I can confidently anticipate that much of Splicers would inevitably be toned down (nerfed) in order to be more compatible and balanced with the rest of RIFTS. This works going into RIFTS, but not so good for the core game of Splicers.

I whole heartedly agree with less new OCCs with Host Armors. There are a slew of new, innovative concepts that we can tap into.

Certainly have more brewing for Blood feuds, Non-Splicers biotech & societies, and setting expansion.

Agreed.

Also, I don't think the current artwork is bad. (I can barely draw stick figures and make them look right, so I shouldn't be an art critic.) The artwork just wasn't what it should be.

And a Thank You to you and everybody that's submitting and pushing Splicers!
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:
Premier wrote:

Agreed.

Also, I don't think the current artwork is bad. (I can barely draw stick figures and make them look right, so I shouldn't be an art critic.) The artwork just wasn't what it should be.

And a Thank You to you and everybody that's submitting and pushing Splicers!

Thank you Riftjunkie,

Yeah, I seriously pondered the pros vs cons of a merger for Splicers some time ago.

Major Pro: With Rifts being fused it could help with getting Splicers more support and Exposure with its Rifts fanbase.
However, "If" or "when" Rifts fans want to utilize Splicers they can already do so without any major supplements officially saying so. After all its the Megaverse. I have heard several good concept from several posters as well as fans met a conventions regarding importing Splicers into their Rifts campaigns. This is really a GM call from the get go, and doesn' require major page space or fluff o support it.

Major Con: Converting Splicers to be crossover compatible affects the Splicers setting as a whole. It can easily become contaminated with things that are invasive to the setting as well as being powered down to fit into the Rifts setting.
Splicers really needs their heavy hitting abilities and mods to survive the skirmishes that they incur.

Ex: I remember working with PB on the NG books, and discussing some new NG Drone designs that could be operated by the robot pilots/Gunners, comm officer suite, etc. There was a comprehensive discussion on game balance and not arming these drones to avoid upsetting game balance, sigh. In the back of mind, I instantly thought of how some of these reasons could affect my favorite game setting (Splicers). Packmasters and their Gorehounds wouldn't have nearly the range of capabilities and customizations if some of these reasons were carried over. Gorehounds would all be limited and forced to close in on enemies for close range and melee combat only. That is not the same aspect for Gorehounds as we have them now.

The nanobot plague is also a key part of the setting and altering it to the extent that it is no longer a major issue or focus taints major parts of the setting. Technojacker, this comment is not directed at your comment, but to those who have discussed actually fixing/getting rid of the nanobot plague or proposing new designs for the Resistance that are totally immune to the nanobot plague. IMHO, outside of the TJs, there really shouldn't be any other OCC or objects that provide such immunity or fixes. That basically intrudes HEAVILY on the TJ specialty and the heavy price that they pay in society.

It is also quite possible that Splicers could be consolidated or absorbed into becoming a Rifts dimensional setting and not remain a stand alone RPG if Rifts gets involved in the matter. As of now, Splicers is great for what it is, without magic, major powers and supernatural abilities. Once this gets converted for Rifts then we are basically playing Rifts.

So I see no reason as a whole to convert Splicers into a Rifts setting as it can be done as is, with the GMs who choose to without messing with the Splicers gameline. However if done, it could negatively affect the Splicers gameline.

As to the Artwork revision, Riftjunkie, as one of the Artist in the first book, I appreciate encouragement and your support of the original work. However, there are several O.C.C.s that could use a remake to help sell them more. I hardly hear of Players who actually play Skinjobs or Saints. The same can be said for a few of the original Warmounts. Some of the Machines can also use a more modern touch and I have actually began these revisions already. This is not to mention that some of the illustrations are just off.

Ex: The Packmaster illoe for one. The stats for Gore hound size and scale were changed, but what I was given was a smaller scale. So the illoe is not an accurate depiction of the actual scale of Gorehounds in comparison to Packmasters. My newer artwork rectifies that issue.

I think you all will be well pleased with the end results, plus it will -hopefully- draw in new Gamers to boot.

Someone said, that with a stronger RPG core book, it will be easier to get new Gamers involved and I agree. Heck to fully enjoy the new sourcebooks, some New Spliceheads might need to obtain copies of the core book. I for one would prefer that the core book be a strong representation for what we see and feel for this gameline. Not suggesting that we delay any of the new books, just the opposite. Churn those bad boys out, but somewhere in the midst, releasing the new core book would do the gameline some serious justice.

IF RRT wasn't such a KS issue, I would really advocate pushing for a Splicers Kickstarter to really garner greater exposure and relauching for the gameline.
Shark_Force
Palladin

to be fair, i think some of the warmounts suffer from more than an image problem.

the zephyr is an example of a warmount where you can really see why you'd pick them over something else; they're like a helicopter gunship. fast, maneuverable, and a special system you can't get elsewhere (twin-linked spore dischargers that melt entire robot formations)

same with, say, the behemoth. they're artillery, pure and simple. if you want to be able to rain down death from miles away, behemoth is the warmount for you.

now, contrast that with the strider. does the strider really do *anything* that makes it stand out? what is it good at? if the megahorse had all the basic warmount features, would there even be a point in the strider existing? it's main characteristic is that you ride it... just like every other warmount ever. how about the grendel? i mean, the grendel is not a bad warmount as such, but what defines it? what do you get from a grendel that you can't get anywhere else?

now suppose the strider was instead of looking like an MDC ostrich that you ride on and has some random selection of bio-weapons it was, say, shaped like a horned toad except that the back is a pit area covered by a canopy with weapon emplacements, and it was big enough to carry a crew of roughnecks or militia in it and a place to mount weapons (give a bonus to firing heavy bio-e weapons mounted in them for the extra stability and tapping into the warmount's natural combat instincts). give it lots of super light cells that it powers up by lying in the sun, and a small nutrient bath that can recharge 2-3 weapons and a suit of living armour per day (or other bio equipment, like slap patches, attachable bio-comms, etc), and now you have a mobile base and APC. maybe give it a special organic rocket weapon system that can receive targeting information from bio-comms and comes standard with extra range, and some special rocket options like smoke bombs, chaff/decoy (detects as a much larger target than it actually is), and you've got a great "support vehicle" for a group that doesn't use a lot of host armour (this would be pretty awesome for a group with a packmaster, biotic, outrider, and archangel, for example; probably a fairly scouting-oriented party).

and what if we took the grendel which currently similarly is just a moderately tough warmount with an assortment of bio-weapons that you could add to anything else, and gave it something to define it. for example, the grendel is noted for having the ability to wield hand-held weapons, unlike any other warmount that i'm aware of. what if you gave it interchangeable giant-sized versions of several hand-held weapons so that you could change your loadout every mission, that feed from it's metabolism. let it carry maybe 2-3 at a time, and give it a choice of both ranged and melee weapons from the handheld options, except larger (and with appropriate improvements over the hand-held version; range, payload, damage, etc). now it becomes the warmount that you pick so that you can customize the options it has in between missions.

so while a visual update might do some good for certain options, it also helps to make sure that each option has something unique, a specific identity, rather than just being something that is there. skinjobs may not look that interesting visually, but i feel like part of the problem is also that they're not *that* much better at stealth than a guy in host armour with a stealth field built into it. and the host armour can be equipped with some pretty powerful weapons and defenses so that once you get them into place, they're a lot more dangerous than a skinjob that can't even carry a bio-e rifle in without blowing their cover.

Return to “Splicers®”